Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mark immune
Dec 14, 2019

put the teacher in the cope cage imo
george Rarely 'rites martin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I also work poo poo hours and I highly rec Glidus and Alt Schwift X both together and independently for YouTube poo poo that can be a podcast. Very goon sense of humour, and behind the mockery is they clearly love this dumb crap and want it to finish and be good instead of just doing screaming hater YouTube crap

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

Some listening material:

Preston Jacobs lamenting Tyrion's Dance chapters' role in murdering the pace of the entire series: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4nzigFM7mY

This sounds like it might be cathartic. I'll put that on my To watch list. Yeah those chapters were a slog. I haven't heard Preston since the show ended. Is he getting grumpy now?

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

some bust on that guy posted:

This sounds like it might be cathartic. I'll put that on my To watch list. Yeah those chapters were a slog. I haven't heard Preston since the show ended. Is he getting grumpy now?

Nah, he got productive instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQcoXQaEXZ4

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

some bust on that guy posted:

Preston has been writing a really long-form fan-fiction project that's supposed to be The Winds of Winter. It's something like seven or eight chapters in.

He's always kind of been way more willing to criticize George than a lot of other fan channels. I remember him catching flak during The Bad Seasons of the show where he expressed the (paraphrased) opinion of "Well what the gently caress were the writers supposed to do? Make ten seasons of people sitting in rooms, staring at the wall?"

But his fan-fiction writing, as well as writing his own novel that he's trying to get published, have kind of given him a different perspective on why the books are completely hosed in terms of narrative pacing.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

he called it the mereeneese knot but it's the kind of knot that you get on the end of a baloon like looks like a sphincter and when the knot was released, the contents that came out were brown water so i think it might actually have just been the mereenese sphincter all along

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Josuke Higashikata posted:

he called it the mereeneese knot but it's the kind of knot that you get on the end of a baloon like looks like a sphincter and when the knot was released, the contents that came out were brown water so i think it might actually have just been the mereenese sphincter all along

I've read some cases where authors got in a similar bind, but their solution was to kill as many characters as necessary to mercy-kill less important story arcs.

Or you got cases like in WoT, when Jordan's Shara just never showed up directly, only generating some strange rumors, until Demandred teleported in with the entire Sharan army in the final battle. Now imagine a world where Jordan had instead decided to stop the main plot, slow as it already was, to instead write multiple books about Demandred's Sharan adventures. Even Sanderson would have struggled saving the resulting mess of plotlines.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Libluini posted:

I've read some cases where authors got in a similar bind, but their solution was to kill as many characters as necessary to mercy-kill less important story arcs.

That's basically what the show did. They killed off minor characters like Stannis, Littlefinger and the Night King to save some time.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m certain Hold the Door is GRRM, but y’all think Berric was also rezzed so he, too, could hold a door against zombies?

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Is the thing about Robb Stark legitimising Jon Snow as Jon Stark and King of the North in the show? I don't remember at all, much like the show.

Pretty sure it isn't, it got dumpstered along with a lot of the other palace intrigue stuff to smooth out the storyline.

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I’m certain Hold the Door is GRRM, but y’all think Berric was also rezzed so he, too, could hold a door against zombies?

The books kind of consider Beric dead at this point, but it's one of those off-screen deaths that George could decide never happened.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

drat you all for piling up 100 new posts in a short period of time and getting my hopes up

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Posts are wind

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

If this thread should have taught you anything it’s that hope is nothing but the seed of future disappointment.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

If this thread should have taught you anything it’s that hope is nothing but the seed of future disappointment.

I read enough actual websites who'd break the story of GRRM either actually publishing Winds or dying long before I'd ever find out about either from this thread, so seeing triple digit new posts here just makes me think either "Oh, what new shitpost or meltdown set everyone off this time?" or "Wow, it's been THAT long since last I checked thing, huh?"

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

grrm is normally so good at releasing winds!!!!!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
Everyone's so upset at no Winds release when the real crime is Melanie Rawn not finishing the Captal's Tower

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

RCarr posted:

drat you all for piling up 100 new posts in a short period of time and getting my hopes up

:lol: @ U

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

grrm is working his rear end off!!!!!!!!!!

on WILDCARDS

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

ItohRespectArmy posted:

on WILDCARDS

Found the poser. Real book fans know he spends all of his time on Dark Winds now.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

ItohRespectArmy posted:

Not according to his bathroom scale!!!

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Pennsylvanian posted:

Found the poser. Real book fans know he spends all of his time on Dark Winds now.
dark winds in the toilet maybe

banned from Starbucks posted:

Not according to his bathroom scale!!!

he's actually lost alot of weight over the last few years!!!!!

(he wants to live longer to piss us off more)

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

He's gonna live longer than Kissinger and never finish the book

Woodpile
Mar 30, 2013

RCarr posted:

Right? That fucker is still alive.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ItohRespectArmy posted:

dark winds in the toilet maybe

he's actually lost alot of weight over the last few years!!!!!

(he wants to live longer to piss us off more)

Masterful that merely by living his best life in his golden years he can send me and millions of others into dork rage

Not that I’m REALLY mad but hating is sometimes fun. More than his death I lust for him out and saying « you nerds I am done with this poo poo, Jon is dead forever, I’m off to ride my train and cheer on the New York Jets while i do blow off a hookers rear end »

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Aug 22, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Masterful that merely by living his best life in his golden years he can send me and millions of others into dork rage

Not that I’m REALLY mad but hating is sometimes fun. More than his death I lust for him out and saying « you nerds I am done with this poo poo, Jon is dead forever, I’m off to ride my train and cheer on the New York Jets while i do blow off a hookers rear end »

Just cause this is the quietest of the 30 god drat threads we both go to : do you just leave the French keyboard on and that’s why you always use the weird French quote marks, or is it an honest preference?

No shade. I do lots of weird poo poo out of kooky personal taste. Just curious.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

Just cause this is the quietest of the 30 god drat threads we both go to : do you just leave the French keyboard on and that’s why you always use the weird French quote marks, or is it an honest preference?

what I learned today: the French don't know what quotation marks are

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

In Chinese and Japanese they’re these hilarious little corner things.

我問「他媽的胖子,為什麼不書寫?」

“I ask, ‘why aren’t you writing, you loving fatty?’”

It has the bonus that it works about the same no matter if you write up-down or side to side.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Xiahou Dun posted:

In Chinese and Japanese they’re these hilarious little corner things.

我問「他媽的胖子,為什麼不書寫?」

“I ask, ‘why aren’t you writing, you loving fatty?’”

It has the bonus that it works about the same no matter if you write up-down or side to side.

This looks disturbingly like the boxes used in German citations to notate that you left stuff out you considered unimportant: [...]

They're used to turn stuff like this excerpt from an interview I just made up:

Random Guy: "It's been a while, right?"
GRRM: "I've been working on Winds of Winter for ages now."
Random Guy: "What kind of food do you hate?"
GRRM: "I hate food that's too spicy."
Random Guy: "What do you think of your readers?"
GRRM: "My readers are lovely."

Into a short citation:

"I've been working on Winds of Winter for ages now. [...] I hate [...] My readers [...]" -excerpt from an interview with GRRM, Random Explorer, Issue 42, Winter 2022

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

English does that too. Actually so does Chinese now that I think of it.

I think that’s just from academics.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Possibly. I only had one semester linguistics after all, and I didn't want to blindly assume everything we did on our German university was exactly the same everywhere else. Also I really wanted to write this dumb joke.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

Yeah I use AZERTY except in cyrillic

But the weird thing is I have a personal phone and a work phone (I post from because gently caress the Man) and only one of them uses the « despite both being azerty and iphones. I just don’t bother to edit it because I am a lazy fat fingered goonlord and I figure people can « suss out » what I mean

E: to be relevant to both topics, I enjoy the video where Glidus and Alt Schwift X go through the various international covers of ASOIAF https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NVdg-wF2IKI

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Aug 22, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Libluini posted:

Possibly. I only had one semester linguistics after all, and I didn't want to blindly assume everything we did on our German university was exactly the same everywhere else. Also I really wanted to write this dumb joke.

I get it, other person in like 2/3rds of my bookmarked threads.

If you hadn’t noticed, I too will go to great and unnecessary ends just because something is clever.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Libluini posted:

what I learned today: the French don't know what quotation marks are

« » are the superior quotation marks. Rabbit ears are for thinly veiled sarcasm

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

just don’t use the cursed danish quotations: » «

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

so the current status, post 2011, is that dany’s sole legacy is being found making GBS threads in the grass, and there’s a released chapter of arya casually preparing to get raped some time during the day?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

ulvir posted:

just don’t use the cursed danish quotations: » «

Denmark is a cursed country. Lego and Legoland is pretty drat awesome though

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Danes are frequently haunted by a ghost dad who tells them to kill their stepdad.

I saw it in a documentary.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Xiahou Dun posted:

Danes are frequently haunted by a ghost dad who tells them to kill their stepdad.

I saw it in a documentary.

And an insatiable urge to decapitate journalists in a submarine you built in the shed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Anders posted:

And an insatiable urge to decapitate journalists in a submarine you built in the shed

This is why American shed-built murdersubs are superior because they at least kill billionaires and millionaires instead :colbert: