Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Maybe someone on the commentaries is about to have a huge scandal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

If they are I would assume it's the author of the essay as he's also on a lot of those commentaries. Hrm.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
Lynch had it as part of the licensing for his Universal films that no one could produce extras without his explicit approval, which is why the Lost Highway blu released by Kino had to strip out the extras they had produced for it. Somebody along the way of licensing this stuff isn't reading the fine print.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Vinegar Syndrome is doing a Labor Day sale

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Specifics:

Sept 1-4
50-70% off overstock items (including on Melusine) from their warehouse
all DVDs will be $5 and going out of print

And this is in addition to the new announcements that will be coming on the 1st, as originally planned :rubby: So in case you held out on something last sale, here's another, and here's more new stuff (the only ones I know of are Arnold and Evil Judgment)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WR5zppZQbRw

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Gripweed posted:

I just snatched up the Coffin Joe box, why you gotta do me like this, VS? :smith:

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Origami Dali posted:

Lynch had it as part of the licensing for his Universal films that no one could produce extras without his explicit approval, which is why the Lost Highway blu released by Kino had to strip out the extras they had produced for it. Somebody along the way of licensing this stuff isn't reading the fine print.

Could be several things. Twilight Time was going to include commentaries on their Woody Allen releases, staring with Interiors. They got permission from whoever handles that stuff for Allen (publicist/agent?) and went ahead, then MGM told them they couldn't include it. Arrow likewise got permission for the booklet of essays for their three box sets without any problems.

My guess with Columbo is that maybe Universal themselves is releasing the Blu-rays in other territories and they don't want Kino to have exclusives that get collectors to just import the US set. Or some contract turned up or something. Night Gallery didn't have any problems, nor did Kolchak.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/thatoneguy64/status/1695164542706151928?s=46

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

To be honest, I rarely listen to commentaries anymore, so just having the show remastered in 4K and on Blu-ray is enough for me. I find it amusing that people are expecting the price to drop considering Kino usually includes commentaries and it never affects the price, unlike Criterion (who charges $40 MSRP for most Blu-rays anyways, even if it only has an interview and trailer for an extra).

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I think it's just the fact that KL loves to announce things, where it might behoove them to actually wait until the discs are mastered and have a release date.

I get the excitement factor, but I know whatever they talk about is usually 1-2 years from fruition, and even then you still get a Bug UHD situation. You don't need to build hype folks, just tell us when it's finalized.

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Been watching a ton of Hong Kong movies recently. Eureka and 88 Films are doing excellent work. Radiance Films also has a great new disc for A Moment of Romance, a movie which I absolutely love, and this release is perfect. Looks and sounds amazing and I recommend that everyone check it out. I'm interested is checking out In the Mood for Love... which release is the one that's messed up? Criterion's 4k, right? The old Blu-ray that they put out is okay? What about As Tears Go By? I'm region free, so if there are better releases in different countries, that's no big deal.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
A preorder popped up for the standard edition of the Caligari UHD from Eureka. I didn't get the limited edition, but the transfer is fantastic and I feel like it'll cost about the same to import as what KL will charge whenever they release it in this region. Nov release date.

https://eurekavideo.co.uk/movie/das-cabinet-des-dr-caligari-4k-ultra-hd/

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

ultraviolence123 posted:

I'm interested is checking out In the Mood for Love... which release is the one that's messed up? Criterion's 4k, right? The old Blu-ray that they put out is okay?

Yes the director changed the colour timing for the 4k.

https://www.reddit.com/r/criterion/comments/mktgoe/color_comparison_of_in_the_mood_for_love_2000_by/?rdt=53857

I bought the 2012 Blu-ray

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

I originally watched the movie on HBO Max and adored it, and more recently bought the 4K. What is the HBO Max version sourced from? If it's the BD I may want to pick that up.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

if wong changed it, is it really wrong? seems like this new one is how he wanted it all along?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

The originals absolutely look a lot better than his 4K-approvals, and weren't included as an alternative even un-restored

vs

More examples here. I can love him and still think he's an idiot about this

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

abelwingnut posted:

if wong changed it, is it really wrong? seems like this new one is how he wanted it all along?

Nah. I've gone back to old projects I've finished and hosed around with them and changed my original intent and hosed them up completely many times. Artists change over a lifetime, revisiting the same work as a different person is going to lead to a different intent and different instincts being brought to the work.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived
I'd say he sucks for not involving the DP at all in the process.

The DP seems ok with it though, I'll have to find a translated interview with him I read where he just says most of what they did, like fallen angels and its unique aspect ratio look, was just done because they were rushed.

personally, the changes he made to fallen angels means I don't really need his revision.. Apparently chungking was revised for the better though..I skipped the ITMFL UHD and kept the OG grade BD, which is still in print thankfully. I'll probably pick up the boxset's version of chungking if that gets an individual release and hope I find a BD of fallen angels that doesn't cost a poo poo ton

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

So is the BD included with the standalone ITMFL 4K just the newly color-graded film, or is it the original Blu-Ray? And the original Blu-Ray is the same as the BD for sale on Criterion's site, right? Just want to make sure I can watch whichever version.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

So is the BD included with the standalone ITMFL 4K just the newly color-graded film, or is it the original Blu-Ray? And the original Blu-Ray is the same as the BD for sale on Criterion's site, right? Just want to make sure I can watch whichever version.

The original grade is only on the BD only release. The new grade (or the green matrix-looking version in the case of this movie) is on the UHD and BD copy of the new release. Thankfully the case art is totally different and not just the BD one reused like they normally do, so you know which is which. I'm also surprised they kept the old transfer in print with the new revision available, but good on them for that.

The bluray forum, who can nitpick any release to absolute death, had a field day with this release. The post that stood out to me when this got announced was this though

quote:

If its worth anything, Criterion channel has both old and remastered version up for streaming with the old transfer labeled as

"IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE Alternate Version
Presented here is the 2000 theatrical version of IN THE MOOD FOR LOVE in its original color, supervised by cinematographer Mark Lee Ping-bin."

Chungking Express and Fallen Angels have their originals listed as alternates as well
So it seems they are aware of the demand for it

e2: also, I never noticed they cut doyle (the DP) out of the process for the 2012 blu-ray too...I know he's not the most easily accessible or relaxed guy in the world, but he's literally the one responsible for the visuals of these films..i get why the boxset that's all WKW's edits didn't ask him, but all the OG blu releases? weird

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 27, 2023

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
More like Wong Kar-Lucas

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

zer0spunk posted:

e2: also, I never noticed they cut doyle (the DP) out of the process for the 2012 blu-ray too...I know he's not the most easily accessible or relaxed guy in the world, but he's literally the one responsible for the visuals of these films..i get why the boxset that's all WKW's edits didn't ask him, but all the OG blu releases? weird

I’m pretty sure that bluray was from the same master as their old dvd, and you quoted it right there that it was supervised by Mark Lee Ping-bing. I have no idea who shot what, or how much, but he’s one of the three credited cinematographers for the movie.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FancyMike posted:

I’m pretty sure that bluray was from the same master as their old dvd, and you quoted it right there that it was supervised by Mark Lee Ping-bing. I have no idea who shot what, or how much, but he’s one of the three credited cinematographers for the movie.

I don't know the division of labor, but Christopher Doyle is the key DP for all of these WKW films. I would assume these other DPS listed were doing second unit work or something. It's very strange to get the secondary people and not the actual guy, but he's also a I don't give any fucks, candid kinda person so who knows. I know when asked about the new versions he didn't really care, but very much was not asked in the first place.

this might not be the article i read, but it's very similar

https://www.pagina12.com.ar/330918-christopher-doyle-mucho-de-nuestro-estilo-surgio-de-un-error

*google translated from spanish*

quote:

-How was the restoration process of the films? Did you closely follow each stage? The new versions include differences in image colors and tones, and in the case of Fallen Angels , the format changed to be enlarged to a rectangle similar to the old Cinemascope. There were even some complaints from purists about it.

-I think that we should not be so delicate with our works. You have to let go, let them go. No need to masturbate over the creations. I was not involved in the restorations in a firm way, although I gave my opinion several times and I observed how the process was carried out. I think the case of Fallen Angels a perfect example of an attitude towards work: they tried switching to an anamorphic format and oh, they were amazed. You always have to see with new eyes, the social and conceptual changes have been many. One thing that happened in almost all of those movies, something tied to what people often call our “style”, is that it usually came from a mistake ( laughs ).

I wonder if this is a translation error, he previously said they didn't consult him..weirder

e3: also found this comparison of the revised chungking, https://vimeo.com/537320640/cdd5a248b6
the green stuff added in seems less obnoxious, and the removal of the overall blue tint works a lot better in the market stuff, I'd def get this UHD if they do it.

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Aug 27, 2023

FancyMike
May 7, 2007

With ITMFL it’s probably not second unit type stuff but the fact that Wong spent over a year shooting it that necessitated multiple DPs over the course of production.

Either way though, Lee has quite the resume of his own, and especially given Doyle’s indifference it seems reasonable Criterion went with him for their original release which looks great. I still haven’t watched the new versions, but I’ve at least got my old Criterion and Kino blurays in a safe place.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

FancyMike posted:

With ITMFL it’s probably not second unit type stuff but the fact that Wong spent over a year shooting it that necessitated multiple DPs over the course of production.

Either way though, Lee has quite the resume of his own, and especially given Doyle’s indifference it seems reasonable Criterion went with him for their original release which looks great. I still haven’t watched the new versions, but I’ve at least got my old Criterion and Kino blurays in a safe place.

2046 took five years.

I get the sense that he might not be the chillest director in the world. The multiple DPs thing makes sense like you said in that context, but the way it would work logistically would be Doyle setting the visual language and anyone else working to that or the entire thing wouldn't feel cohesive. I give credit to anyone who is cool coming into a project and having to mimic someone else's work.

Fun tangent, my fav example of this for just being wholesome is days of heaven, the original DP (almendros) was losing his vision to the point that he'd have to review polaroids of shots with a big rear end magnifying glass at the end of the day so his friend and amazing DP in his own right, Haskell Wexler stepped in to finish the thing. Probably helps that movie is one of the most ambitious in terms of lighting and consequently stunning visually. (could not be more hyped for the UHD)

also cling tight to that fallen angels BD

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1333805557040386050

zer0spunk fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Aug 27, 2023

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I managed to score a LG 4k player at the flea market for $8 today - incredible feeling finding something for cheaper than the discs it plays.
Works great, too! Haven't watched any 4K discs on it yet, but the upscaling seems fantastic

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

zer0spunk posted:

2046 took five years.

I get the sense that he might not be the chillest director in the world. The multiple DPs thing makes sense like you said in that context, but the way it would work logistically would be Doyle setting the visual language and anyone else working to that or the entire thing wouldn't feel cohesive. I give credit to anyone who is cool coming into a project and having to mimic someone else's work.

Fun tangent, my fav example of this for just being wholesome is days of heaven, the original DP (almendros) was losing his vision to the point that he'd have to review polaroids of shots with a big rear end magnifying glass at the end of the day so his friend and amazing DP in his own right, Haskell Wexler stepped in to finish the thing. Probably helps that movie is one of the most ambitious in terms of lighting and consequently stunning visually. (could not be more hyped for the UHD)

also cling tight to that fallen angels BD

https://twitter.com/Nick_Newman/status/1333805557040386050
Ah dang the green looks so much better though

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I love when I order something and then completely forget about it, it's like getting an unexpected gift. In this case the gift that showed up today is Tremors 4k. I know myself very well so I give myself great gifts.

zer0spunk
Nov 6, 2000

devil never even lived

bowmore posted:

Ah dang the green looks so much better though

The irony is not lost on me that he added green to the movies that weren't, and made the one that was, black and white.

We should have a FAQ on the first post at this point that says don't get the T2 UHD because it's the worst transfer possible, heat is possibly too dark depending on your setup and WKW has lost his mind. And also mention the 2 or 3 region locked UHDS out there like people under the stairs so no one gets burned

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Basebf555 posted:

I love when I order something and then completely forget about it, it's like getting an unexpected gift. In this case the gift that showed up today is Tremors 4k. I know myself very well so I give myself great gifts.

Ha mine arrived today as well. This thread is dangerous.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Thanks to this thread I've finally done it, I've finally completed my Favorite Movies shelf. There are a few I still want to upgrade (around 16, in fact) but a lot of these are either childhood copies, cool versions I found used, or ones that are too interesting to want to replace (but I have other versions of elsewhere - such as the weird Chinese Connection/Fist of Fury copy. We own the Criterion Bruce Lee Collection). It was fun going through the checklist and finding discs in the wild, or in some cases making the cases myself.

Thanks for helping me make irresponsible purchases, thread. It's been real. I'm sure there are plenty more in my future.

melvinthemopboy3
Sep 29, 2008
You count “the” when alphabetizing? Heresy!

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

I'm triggered by Hitchcock being in the A section.

Edit: and DVDs being mixed in with Blu-ray. Great Scott, have you no shame???

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

melvinthemopboy3 posted:

You count “the” when alphabetizing? Heresy!

I don't! But my partner does! And I'm not going to argue with them!

It also makes it SUPER funny, I can't lie. Some of these movies have no business being next to each other.

ultraviolence123 posted:

I'm triggered by Hitchcock being in the A section.

Edit: and DVDs being mixed in with Blu-ray. Great Scott, have you no shame???

The spine says Alfred! That starts with A! And they all go in the same disc player in the end :colbert:

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Get the 4k of Wayne's World, it has the original Stairway riff!

I got the Steelbook too because it was $10 and I would have been insane to pass it up. I'm also insane.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
I just ordered the Batman Returns UHD cause it was $10. Because of this, I will likely grab Forever and B&R when they have a dumb low price.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://twitter.com/underthefan119/status/1696170603395330541?s=46

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I don't! But my partner does! And I'm not going to argue with them!

This is the most hosed up thing I've ever read on this site. Alphabetizing with articles...

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Typical goons, this kind of bullying is how binder people are created

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Organization is a fool’s errand after a certain point in your collecting journey