Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

benchys can also do this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mewse
May 2, 2006

BMan posted:

benchys can also do this

NWS that poo poo

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Bondematt posted:

3D Printers: You take that back! Benchy isn't stupid!

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
If I get a Sovol, do I want the optional 6 piece hardened steel nozzles?

kid sinister fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Aug 28, 2023

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

kid sinister posted:

If I get a Sovol, do I want the optional 6 piece hardened steel nozzles?

No.
Or at least, not yet.
Steel nozzles are overkill for 99% of what you'll likely be printing
And I'm assuming it's a range of different sizes which, while cool, I'd suggest not messing around with until you've got a bit more printing under your belt. Even then, a 0.2 and a 0.6 will pretty much set you up for everything you could ever want to do

(I'm assuming this is your first printer)

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

BMan posted:

benchys can also do this

I learned about this on accident the other day. Nothing like benchy 69.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
Save on hardened steel nozzles, join the cult of Bozzle.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008
You don't need hardened steel nozzles right away, but I would recommend having a spare nozzle or two on hand in case you gently caress one up. They're cheap, even the good ones (not the ones made of diamond, if you need one of those you know why you want one), and relatively easy to gently caress up given they're the business end of the printer.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Arcsech posted:

You don't need hardened steel nozzles right away, but I would recommend having a spare nozzle or two on hand in case you gently caress one up. They're cheap, even the good ones (not the ones made of diamond, if you need one of those you know why you want one), and relatively easy to gently caress up given they're the business end of the printer.

The ruby ones are the ones that are really easy to destroy. The diamond ones can survive a head crash. Bozzle is a good compromise cost/durability/performance, it's expensive but tungsten carbide so it's rugged. It's 0.5 but with Arachne it should still print fine details well. And best of all it has a neat internal geometry that helps increase it's volumetric flow capabilities.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

deimos posted:

Save on hardened steel nozzles, join the cult of Bozzle.

Wtf is a bozzle?

And is a head crash exactly what it sounds like? The print head contacting the part?

This talk about tips reminds me of soldering.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

StrixNebulosa posted:

Benchy is THE gold standard on finding out how well your printer can do certain things.

Unfortunately I also think it looks silly, so I've only printed one so far. I much prefer this:

https://www.printables.com/model/209121-cali-dragon

(note that 90% of my prints are hobby / artwork, and I don't need precision --- but benchy is there, so when my partner wants me to print him a hinge for a computer, I can do it properly!)

This is cool and all but until problem otherwise benches are just so drat good for specifics.

Also speed Benchy races

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

kid sinister posted:

And is a head crash exactly what it sounds like? The print head contacting the part?

Or more destructively: the plate.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Wtf is a bozzle?

This talk about tips reminds me of soldering.

Bozzle is a 0.5mm tungsten carbide nozzle, here's a link to one vendor: https://www.fabreeko.com/products/bozzle-0-5mm-full-tungsten-carbide-nozzle-by-rentable-socks

Head crash is the nozzle hitting either a print or the bed, ruby nozzles tend to shatter if it's the latter.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Tungsten carbide??? Speaking of drill bits...

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

kid sinister posted:

Tungsten carbide??? Speaking of drill bits...

Good thermal conductivity (steel's biggest problem) and excellent abrasion resistance. Lower barrier of entry and not made out of a (arguably very durable and strong) chunk of carbon that can shatter if you drop it like the diamondbacks. They'll still abrade after a ton of filament.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

w00tmonger posted:

This is cool and all but until problem otherwise benches are just so drat good for specifics.

Also speed Benchy races

also the whole point of using a standard model for testing is that everyone knows what it's supposed to look like. problems are easier to spot that way.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Alright, I ordered the Sovol SV07. I like that wifi feature. That will help with where I decide to put the drat thing.

What do I need to know before I order filament?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

kid sinister posted:

Alright, I ordered the Sovol SV07. I like that wifi feature. That will help with where I decide to put the drat thing.

Buy PLA
Don't gently caress with PETG or ABS or anything else until you're more well-versed in what printing entails

PLA+ or PLA Pro are both fine, though, if you need a bit of extra strength
I love Polymaker, but they're normally $25 a spool rather than the 'standard' $20, so if you're on a budget go for SunLu or Overture or something

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
What about suppliers? Is there anyone reputable in the US or do I just buy whatever from Amazon?

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED
I order Elegoo PLA filament off of Amazon.

Black_Plague22
Apr 4, 2006
JA?!
Microcenter if you have one nearby. IIIDMAX is US based too and hits the sweet spot for cheap and decent filament.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Speaking of head crashes (not mine):

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Due to my print bed being very crooked I've been using some duct tape under it to even it out. According to klipper this worked well, but I've been fighting bed adhesion issues, layer lines, all kinds of problems for weeks now, which all magically dissapeared once I took it off :doh:

Suddenly it's all printing beautifully again, with barely any issues. I'm still learning lots, but man am I glad when I can just press butan and get good print.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

kid sinister posted:

And what the hell is up with this stupid boat? I've seen this on 3 different sites now and I've only been looking at 3D printers for 3 days now.

Benchy is basically 3d printing mascot at this point.

And eventually they take over everywhere you go and you end up with little fleets of the things.

Finally got around to swapping the mobo on my e3S1P to get a usable printer out of it without klipper. Printed a blob instead of a benchy overnight, so I need to clean the build plate and level it. :(

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

kid sinister posted:

The Microcenter in-house brand "Inland" has been very reliable for me: https://www.microcenter.com/product/611549/inland-175mm-pla-3d-printer-filament-10-kg-(22-lbs)-spool-true-red

All kinds of colors, nice standard quality, good price.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"
I'm not convinced Bozzles are real. They're always out of stock and rumored to return "just next week" every week somehow.

But there are volcano TC nozzles out there you can actually buy so no big deal.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
One thing I definitely noticed when I swapped from the standard brass to the Diamondback nozzle on my Prusa is that no filament really sticks to the nozzle anymore. No layer of hot melted filament to occasionally clean off the nozzle, not that it was particularly a pain in the rear end to clean the standard nozzle off.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
It just occurred to me that I've probably got hundreds of hours on my old brass .4mm nozzle.

It blows my mind what's available now.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Hey, if you're mostly doing normal rear end PLA/PETG that's probably completely fine :shrug:

mewse
May 2, 2006

Macichne Leainig posted:

One thing I definitely noticed when I swapped from the standard brass to the Diamondback nozzle on my Prusa is that no filament really sticks to the nozzle anymore. No layer of hot melted filament to occasionally clean off the nozzle, not that it was particularly a pain in the rear end to clean the standard nozzle off.

I got petg blobs on my normal brass nozzle, went to a PTFE coated CHT clone and it fixed the blob problem but had an oozing/stringing thing that felt inherent to the design. I'm running nickle plated copper now for high thermal conductivity and no petg blobs.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I've got a sovol svo6 with klipper...

That Bambu p1ps with ams for $1000 seems real neat.. am I a moron. Does Bambu make you use their filament or anything stupid

tater_salad fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Aug 29, 2023

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

tater_salad posted:

I've got a sovol svo6 with klipper...

That Bambi p1ps with ams for $1000 seems real neat.. am I a moron. Does Bambu make you use their filament or anything stupid

nah you can use whatever, im slamming 8.99USD rolls of filament through all mine and they print beautifully.

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017
Thinking back to the time that my company bought one of those 3D Systems printers that used a RFID coded printer cartridge full of generic PLA and then never had the cartridges in stock anyways.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
If you buy filament from Bambu, it has an RFID tag that automatically sets the color and material when you put it in the AMS, which saves you maybe 15 seconds of just inputting it yourself

It's a cute feature, and the filament itself is good, but at least for PLA it's not really worth the $25 compared to $17 for Inland refills or $12/spool for a 10-pack of IIIDMAX

Opinionated
May 29, 2002

The Chairman posted:

If you buy filament from Bambu, it has an RFID tag that automatically sets the color and material when you put it in the AMS, which saves you maybe 15 seconds of just inputting it yourself

It's a cute feature, and the filament itself is good, but at least for PLA it's not really worth the $25 compared to $17 for Inland refills or $12/spool for a 10-pack of IIIDMAX

I do think the print quality on the bambu filament will be more consistent than the IIIDMAX, though not entirely worth the premium still. You don't get quite as clean of a surface finish with IIIDMAX compared to some "premium" filaments. It's nice having a bit of each depending on what you're printing :cool:

Also as someone who owns a MK3S+, MK4 and X1C I don't think I can realistically recommend the mk4 for a couple different reasons. Mostly the lack of modernization that most the bambu printers have, slow file transfer speeds and price point are all extremely strained with bambu in the mix now.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

queeb posted:

nah you can use whatever, im slamming 8.99USD rolls of filament through all mine and they print beautifully.

This all said it's annoyed ng that it doesn't take cardboard spools without a bit of work.

Try to go with cardboard whenever I can, but now I need to hotglue plastic rims on any of my new rolls and it's a hassle

Rad-daddio
Apr 25, 2017

The Chairman posted:

Man, that's better than the 50 bucks we were paying for a half Kg spool...when we could get it.

At one point, I just brought my own home 3d printer in so we could have parts for a demo.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

w00tmonger posted:

This all said it's annoyed ng that it doesn't take cardboard spools without a bit of work.

Try to go with cardboard whenever I can, but now I need to hotglue plastic rims on any of my new rolls and it's a hassle
Can you not just print a cover for either side of the cardboard spool?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Can you not just print a cover for either side of the cardboard spool?

You can, but they can still be a little fiddly. There are a few designs so I'll probably try some alternatives

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

i dont have an AMS yet but its on the docket. my next batch of printers will probably be P1S/AMS combos. even with 7 going full bore i'm barely keeping up.