Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

StumblyWumbly posted:

I would definitely not, but I would definitely read the continuing adventures of Ortus, the sad cav who wants to do good

I hope all of our ghost friends did fine after they left harrow's mind palace

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hargrimm
Sep 22, 2011

W A R R E N
Someone on reddit got their hands on a pdf of The Unwanted Guest, the bonus short story for the Nona paperback. It's a play!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

silvergoose posted:

I still maintain that I would absolutely read the gently caress out of the Noniad, and the Pentiad

"Why am I speaking in meter?"

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'm enjoying this but have issues with it as a piece of theatre

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I devoured Gideon and after a little bit of difficulty at the beginning, demolished Harrow and really loved the experience. I immediately ordered Nona and....have really had a hard time picking the book up. I don't know if I just need a break from the universe or I know I'm in for such a shift in tone and style and its gonna take some work to get into it. Anyway, I want to know more about the world! But somehow can't get myself to read about it, lol.

Hawgh
Feb 27, 2013

Size does matter, after all.
I'm nearing the end of Harrow and

John is currently ...desploding? Guess they didn't manage to kill the solar system anyway.

Okay, that dude is bonkers

I'm enjoying the series, but I was very happy when things starting resolving and there was an explanation of the historical revisionism of the first book. Felt like I was having a stroke for the first half hour.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That feeling is shared by Harrow, so it's all good.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Hawgh posted:

I'm nearing the end of Harrow and
Felt like I was having a stroke for the first half hour.

Good news!

mewse
May 2, 2006

Mike N Eich posted:

I devoured Gideon and after a little bit of difficulty at the beginning, demolished Harrow and really loved the experience. I immediately ordered Nona and....have really had a hard time picking the book up. I don't know if I just need a break from the universe or I know I'm in for such a shift in tone and style and its gonna take some work to get into it. Anyway, I want to know more about the world! But somehow can't get myself to read about it, lol.

It's ok to shelve a book that you really want to read. One of my fav authors passed away, I got his last book as a gift for christmas, and I had it for 8 months before reading it because I knew once I read it there would be no more new books from him.

What you could do is wait until alecto is released (next year? i dont know what the current release date is) then re-read gideon > harrow, and read nona and alecto for the first time. This is basically what I did when nona was released and these are really good books to re-read.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Just know that Nona Loves You. Even if you don't read her.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Mike N Eich posted:

If it's any help, Nona starts kinda different than the two others and it takes a second to get into the sci-fi of it. But if you want to take a break and still dip back into the world, there's a couple short stories by Tamsim Muir that you can read fro free on Tor's site set in the same universe.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I'd say "as yet unsent" is vital context for Nona. The mysterious study of Dr sex is just nice background on pal and cam, and the play above will make more sense after nona

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Hargrimm posted:

Someone on reddit got their hands on a pdf of The Unwanted Guest, the bonus short story for the Nona paperback. It's a play!

This was wonderful, but also I've read it twice now and can't stop envisioning Pal as Columbo

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
So basically this play recontextualizes all of the second book as Harrow's desperate efforts to save herself from starting to enjoy sports.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

tamsyn write two works in the same style challenge [impossible]

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Hargrimm posted:

I just started this and I'm already utterly loving delighted :allears:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I got pointed here from the SF thread, and I am so grateful to all of you for your analyses, because these books confuse the hell out of me. I have, however, gotten many bitter chuckles out of "I can't wait until 2022 when Alecto is released."

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I look forward to seeing what completely different writing style she uses for Alecto

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
It's all good so long as we get more Noodle

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I got pointed here from the SF thread, and I am so grateful to all of you for your analyses, because these books confuse the hell out of me. I have, however, gotten many bitter chuckles out of "I can't wait until 2022 when Alecto is released."

:shepicide:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The monkey's paw curls a finger

The next book is in Noodle's POV.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

a story told from Noodle's POV would be rad

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The monkey's paw curls a finger

The next book is in Noodle's POV.
This time the twist is that the real Noodle is the friends we killed met along the way.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Noodle is the final Resurrection Beast

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
It’s gonna be in the style of an epic fantasy.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

It’s gonna be in the style of an epic fantasy.

The fantasy is that we get to pet Noodle.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
And put pattens on each of his paws! (arboreal legs included)

Noodle, how dare you?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Happy Landfill posted:

I just started this and I'm already utterly loving delighted :allears:

Now that I've finished this I just want to say I really appreciate the sheer gall of writing the story like this. This probably could have been written in a completely straightforward manner, with Pal and Ianthe meeting in some sort of Mind Palace type deal, with all the actions remaining the same, but something about writing it out like a play book really elevates it and draws attention to both the characters and everything that happens on Stage in a really interesting way instead of just saying, "the attendants wheeled the coffins..." within the prose itself.

Not sure if I'm articulating what I'm trying to say properly. I really loving liked it, is what I mean :shobon: can't wait to see what other people, who are more well-read than I am will pick up on.

Definitely picked up the Phoenix Wright reference lmao

Edit: poo poo someone on Tumblr pointed out something that I totally missed the first time all of Ianthe's dialogue when she answers the first question in in quotations...maybe meaning she doesn't actually believe what she's saying?? :tinfoil:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Aug 29, 2023

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Yeah the attention to staging is great.

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021
So I've been thinking about John, and ways to deal with him, or at least, slow him down.

Seeing what happened in HtN I don't think trying to physically damage him is the way. Mercymorn couldn't make it stick, and he says even the RB's cant kill him.

So, it would have to be emotional/psicological attacks, seeing as he isn't the most mentally stable . So, I've thought of 2 ways to mess with him, that would be really funny, and also totally in character for this series.

First is with Herald madness .They technically have an RB right there in Alecto, and they could double up the mental damage by making them look like ....... cows.Just cows.

The second one, my favorite, is just asking Magnus's ghost to come up with the best (worst) dad joke of all time.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Happy Landfill posted:

Edit: poo poo someone on Tumblr pointed out something that I totally missed the first time all of Ianthe's dialogue when she answers the first question in in quotations...maybe meaning she doesn't actually believe what she's saying?? :tinfoil:

I think mostly it means Ianthe just doesn't give a poo poo about what she's saying, and while playing along and answering honestly, is answering Pal like a student at a seminar that she just disparaged the Sixth about. She doesn't really disagree with herself in and out of quotes about it.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
In particular I think she's aping the style of answers from Socratic dialogues.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

(backreading this thread like a Sixth Houser expecting a test)
cptn_dr, could you post the recipe for your Princess of Ida cocktail?

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I think Ianthe is mocking Palamedes with that first response, yes.

Also my God she is serving some goddamned looks in this thing.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Rand Brittain posted:

In particular I think she's aping the style of answers from Socratic dialogues.

Yeah, it seemed to me that the discussion of souls was a Socratic dialogue and it shifted toward courtroom drama or detective book toward the end when he pieced it together.

I found my favorite Nona art again, too!

https://twitter.com/pilpopilpo/status/1645823178084610049?s=20

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The scene with written with an air of lived-in authenticity. You'd think having only four legs on most dogs would help, with less booties, but no. No. It does not.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
My favorite line from the short story is Ianthe's "She and I both understand that the goal is always worth the cost. If it's not then you ought to find a better goal. And i'm trying to figure out if I've heard it somewhere else before. This whole series is just elegant meme references. But the whole play was great.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Hargrimm posted:

ooh why you gotta do my boy Ortus like that, Ianthe? Have some mercy, he's already dead!

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

FuturePastNow posted:

Noodle is the final Resurrection Beast

"wow griddle we finally did it lets settle down and be space gay together for a hundred years because the RBs are dead"

*sound of tappies on tile floor*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Arsenic Lupin posted:

(backreading this thread like a Sixth Houser expecting a test)
cptn_dr, could you post the recipe for your Princess of Ida cocktail?

Yep!

15 mls Lemon juice
15 mls creme de violette

Shaken with ice, strained into a coupe and topped off with Prosecco (or other sparkling wine of your choice).

You can also stir the lemon and violet with ice, which is maybe a little more practical with such small quantities, but shaking will give a slightly better result.

You can bump the quantity of violet up by another 5mls or so too, depending on how much you like violet.

Edit: It's pretty dry, if you prefer sweeter you can add a barspoon of simple syrup to the mix as well, but I tend not to.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Aug 29, 2023