Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am so sorry for asking so many questions but I figure if I never ask I will never know.

This is what I feed to my Trident Maple - will it work for a Meyer Lemon tree?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

His Divine Shadow posted:

Here's something gardening related, building a greenhouse!

hell yeah

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am so sorry for asking so many questions but I figure if I never ask I will never know.

This is what I feed to my Trident Maple - will it work for a Meyer Lemon tree?

yeah its fine

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

We like answering questions here!

Shake N Feed is 12-4-8. The citrus fertilizer I use, J R Peters, is 20-10-20, plus unnamed micronutrients. I believe that I'm getting better results with citrus fertilizer than I did with regular fertilizer, but that could absolutely be placebo effect.

The ratios measure the proportions of nitrogen - phosphorus - potassium. I just found this writeup of NPK, which helped me understand.

Overall, Shake N Feed is less nutritionally dense: it's 12% nitrogen, 4% phosphorus, 8% potassium. Overall, that means it's 24% good stuff, and the rest is micronutrients and filler. This is fine -- you wouldn't want a fertilizer that was all fertilizer, because you would burn the leaves. However, Shake N Feed is heavily weighted toward nitrogen, which means that it's prioritizing nice green leaves over the other things fertilizer does. JR Peters is 20-10-20. To begin with, it's more concentrated, at 50% fertilizer, 50% micronutrients and filler. Secondly, however, it's more evenly balanced: as much potassium as nitrogen, and half as much phosphorus as either. For fruit trees specifically, you want a balanced fertilizer.

And that is as much as I know about fertilizer. Shake N Feed will keep the plant looking green and perky, but it probably won't be as good for either root growth or flowering and fruiting. I would recommend getting something marketed as a citrus fertilizer, or as a fruit tree fertilizer.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

That post is more right than mine. But also it's fine to use what you have. Do you want to get into the plants or do you want to just do some gardening. Its up to You.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

We like answering questions here!

Shake N Feed is 12-4-8. The citrus fertilizer I use, J R Peters, is 20-10-20, plus unnamed micronutrients. I believe that I'm getting better results with citrus fertilizer than I did with regular fertilizer, but that could absolutely be placebo effect.

The ratios measure the proportions of nitrogen - phosphorus - potassium. I just found this writeup of NPK, which helped me understand.

Overall, Shake N Feed is less nutritionally dense: it's 12% nitrogen, 4% phosphorus, 8% potassium. Overall, that means it's 24% good stuff, and the rest is micronutrients and filler. This is fine -- you wouldn't want a fertilizer that was all fertilizer, because you would burn the leaves. However, Shake N Feed is heavily weighted toward nitrogen, which means that it's prioritizing nice green leaves over the other things fertilizer does. JR Peters is 20-10-20. To begin with, it's more concentrated, at 50% fertilizer, 50% micronutrients and filler. Secondly, however, it's more evenly balanced: as much potassium as nitrogen, and half as much phosphorus as either. For fruit trees specifically, you want a balanced fertilizer.

And that is as much as I know about fertilizer. Shake N Feed will keep the plant looking green and perky, but it probably won't be as good for either root growth or flowering and fruiting. I would recommend getting something marketed as a citrus fertilizer, or as a fruit tree fertilizer.

Thank you! living in South Philly there are only 2 trees on my street one is mine and the shake n feed has been doing well with my tree - but it also feeds the weeds and I have to rip them out.

If I use the shake n feed and mix it with a little citric or malic acid will that work?

E2: I found my alkolizing powder that has phosphorus, potassiums calcium, etc.... but it is kinda old - the first ingredient is Malitol and it irritates my IBS-D so it is old and I pretty much never use it.

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 29, 2023

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

PokeJoe posted:

That post is more right than mine. But also it's fine to use what you have. Do you want to get into the plants or do you want to just do some gardening. Its up to You.

Ya know I imagine this ends up a lot like all my other hobbies.
Show some interest. 'just gardening'
Quickly spirle into the depth min/max 'getting into plants'
Then after several years and more money than I care to admit to being spent. It comes full circle and I 'just garden' and let the plants and mother nature do her thing.

I'm currently in the learning way to much, about to start spending money on raised beds is next.

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

sterster posted:

Ya know I imagine this ends up a lot like all my other hobbies.
Show some interest. 'just gardening'
Quickly spirle into the depth min/max 'getting into plants'
Then after several years and more money than I care to admit to being spent. It comes full circle and I 'just garden' and let the plants and mother nature do her thing.

I'm currently in the learning way to much, about to start spending money on raised beds is next.

https://youtu.be/4ZK8Z8hulFg?si=5SzOgTQ1OiLtMNKI

:justplant:

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I feel like plants resist the obsessive a bit just because the feedback loops are so slow.

Unless you have tons of space or get into hydroponics or something.

Alucard
Mar 11, 2002
Pillbug

Chad Sexington posted:

I feel like plants resist the obsessive a bit just because the feedback loops are so slow.

Not true, just an excuse to get more plants - there's always indoor plants and containers and community gardens

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Nobody tell this goon about figs, the tribble of fruit trees

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Discussion Quorum posted:

Nobody tell this goon about figs, the tribble of fruit trees

I already tried this yesterday. I mean, it's the classic south philly tree to have and to light.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

nunsexmonkrock posted:

If I use the shake n feed and mix it with a little citric or malic acid will that work?
Do not do this unless you know a lot about plant chemistry. I cannot advise you whether this would work; I will say that some plants love acidic soil, and some very much don't, and I don't know which citrus is.

All fertilizers feed both weeds and whatever you wanted to feed; weeds like nutrients just as much as anybody else.

Chad Sexington posted:

Ha. Hahahahaha. NyaahahaSCREAM.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Do not do this unless you know a lot about plant chemistry. I cannot advise you whether this would work; I will say that some plants love acidic soil, and some very much don't, and I don't know which citrus is.

All fertilizers feed both weeds and whatever you wanted to feed; weeds like nutrients just as much as anybody else.

Ha. Hahahahaha. NyaahahaSCREAM.

Ah okay I have ph testers but I tried to use it in the dirt on my tree I already have - I guess the stuff for aquariums doesn't work the same for plants lol.

Chad Sexington posted:

Hehe! When I worked in Customer Service on my desk I had a Pussytoe plant (I only processed checks and credit cards - but I was friends with all the phone sex girls - they were mostly gay males, punk rock girls and drag queens pretending to be big busted female blondes on the phone lines)

nunsexmonkrock fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Aug 29, 2023

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Here's something gardening related, building a greenhouse!

Are you using plans you found, or doing your own thing?

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
In my current garden, some of my tomato plants typically start dying in august (just yellowing throughout). Are there any good resources on determining the cause? Some of mine last way longer than others, but I can't tell if there's fungus, water issues, stalk borers or nutrient exhaustion. I plan my tomatoes way too close (at least until I get 8ft cages), but I specifically dugout 18 inches of soil below my raised bed before i filled it back in to help alleviate water issues and let the roots penetrate the soil (theres a ton of clay here, which not everything can manage well).

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Slanderer posted:

In my current garden, some of my tomato plants typically start dying in august (just yellowing throughout). Are there any good resources on determining the cause? Some of mine last way longer than others, but I can't tell if there's fungus, water issues, stalk borers or nutrient exhaustion. I plan my tomatoes way too close (at least until I get 8ft cages), but I specifically dugout 18 inches of soil below my raised bed before i filled it back in to help alleviate water issues and let the roots penetrate the soil (theres a ton of clay here, which not everything can manage well).

Determinates will die after fruiting.

For indeterminates, nutrient deficiency is definitely a thing because they're such heavy feeders. In my garden it's usually just a race against the blight/fungus that eventually goes from the bottom up chasing new growth and eventually kills them. I imagine if I didn't get lazy with pruning they would last longer.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Slanderer posted:

If they’re just turning yellow throughout, might be blight, which is just in your soil and you’ll never be rid of. In some places, August is as long as tomatoes can go before succumbing to disease. If it’s just leaves near the bottom turning yellow and dying, it could be because they’re getting and staying wet. Pruning the lower stem very hard will help with this a lot. Anyway tomatoes are usually gonna die of something, it’s often blight, and as long as you’re happy with how long you harvested and what you got, it’s probably not worth worrying about.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

Chad Sexington posted:

Determinates will die after fruiting.

For indeterminates, nutrient deficiency is definitely a thing because they're such heavy feeders. In my garden it's usually just a race against the blight/fungus that eventually goes from the bottom up chasing new growth and eventually kills them. I imagine if I didn't get lazy with pruning they would last longer.

Lawnie posted:

If they’re just turning yellow throughout, might be blight, which is just in your soil and you’ll never be rid of. In some places, August is as long as tomatoes can go before succumbing to disease. If it’s just leaves near the bottom turning yellow and dying, it could be because they’re getting and staying wet. Pruning the lower stem very hard will help with this a lot. Anyway tomatoes are usually gonna die of something, it’s often blight, and as long as you’re happy with how long you harvested and what you got, it’s probably not worth worrying about.

Thanks. I've been pretty low-effort with my garden this year and I haven't really spent any time inspecting plants or pruning since July lol, but I should take a closer look. Definitely have issues with the lower branches on some tomatoes dying off, maybe fungus explains why. I'll spray for fungus though, since my squash is getting a little mildewy too. Overall, the tomatoes are doing really well despite me--I've had two tomato plants take off that I discarded as seedlings (one was frost damaged, one was just left in its seedling container too long) where I tossed them, despite having to grow roots though the tiny holes in their containers.

Also didn't know that about determinate tomatoes, but that's what I get for doing 0 reading on tomatoes. I did try to prune a bunch back in may and june, but I don't really know what I was doing besides encourage upwards growth inside of lateral growth.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
Okay now I have to look up how to sprout lime seeds - I figured if I am going to get lemons - might as well get some limes too for margaritas.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

nunsexmonkrock posted:

Okay now I have to look up how to sprout lime seeds - I figured if I am going to get lemons - might as well get some limes too for margaritas.

You're going to have the same problem growing limes from seed as you will lemons. A decade is a long time to wait for a margarita.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I've just bought a small winter savory and a spearmint for transferring to pots on my apartment deck. What should I do before transplanting them? We're in a cold snap at the moment but hopefully this next month will bring early spring weather.

I also have some chives that died over winter, should I remove them or hope that they seeded/ sow some more in the bare patches?

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I am patient! And I am not planning on moving from the house I own. Too old for renting and moving every couple of years since I have arthritis but a little alcohol and or thc gummies mixed with a naproxen sodium and I am good - until it wears off lol. I think what broke me from renting was moving from Philly to Chicago with 2 cats and 2 rats and then back to Philly with 2 cats and 2 gerbils. oh and a 29 gallon aquarium with fish both ways lol.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

nunsexmonkrock posted:

I am patient! And I am not planning on moving from the house I own. Too old for renting and moving every couple of years since I have arthritis but a little alcohol and or thc gummies mixed with a naproxen sodium and I am good - until it wears off lol. I think what broke me from renting was moving from Philly to Chicago with 2 cats and 2 rats and then back to Philly with 2 cats and 2 gerbils. oh and a 29 gallon aquarium with fish both ways lol.

Okay, I think maybe youre energy needs to be redirected a bit. Let's try this: https://extension.psu.edu/grow-your-own-lemons

Start there. Call or email the extension, talk to some people about it. Buy this: https://extension.psu.edu/master-gardener-manual It's awesome and super local information.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
there are few things in this hobby that I would want to do less than growing citrus from seed

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Ok Comboomer posted:

there are few things in this hobby that I would want to do less than growing citrus from seed
Trying to grow Sichuan peppercorns from seed.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SubG posted:

Trying to grow Sichuan peppercorns from seed.

That reminded me. Remember two years ago when OneGreenWorld actually had Sichuan pepper plants and it was real exciting? I think several of us ordered them.

So I ordered one. And a Sancho which it's supposed to pollinate with. The Sansho seemed like I was really pushing it as far as zone, and yeah.....it didn't make it. But the Sichuan is doing this now:

...and this reminded me that I need to figure out if those are ready to harvest or what and what the hell I'm gonna do with them. And also figure out what's eating the leaves.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

Growing fern from seed.
because it doesn't have any
Nunsexmonkrock, the label on those seeds is a lie. The way you get a dwarf fruit tree, including citrus, is that you graft a bud of the tree you want to harvest into the severed stump -- the "rootstock" -- of another plant in the same family. Rootstocks are carefully chosen to give a height range, resistance to disease, hardiness, whatever. There are a few fruiting plants that grow dwarf from seed (even if they come true from seed, which citrus don't) but most of them have to be grafted on to a variety that is dwarf by nature.

Whatever you get from those seeds, it won't be dwarf, and there's a high chance it won't even be useful. The limes you buy at stores have been carefully bred to have a green skin, thin enough to slice through, few seeds, plus a lot of stuff that makes it shippable. The lime seeds in that baggie are a random cross of whatever the lime was and whatever it pollinated with -- not necessarily a lime! -- and there's a good chance it will give you a lumpy, sour fruit that is mostly rind and seeds.

The reason that commercial citrus nurseries don't start plants from seeds isn't just saving time. It's that, with citrus, you genuinely have no idea what you'll get. People spend decades of hybridizing, and hundreds of plants, to get one or two varieties that are worth grafting into rootstock. Most of those hundreds of plants are destroyed as soon as they set their first fruit, because they're prone to disease, because they're weak, or because the fruit just isn't worth eating.

If you want to play the lottery, pick a plant that is faster to mature, and expect to throw away a lot of seedings. If you play the lottery with these seeds, there's a good chance that you'll have a useless tree ten years later.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Motronic posted:

That reminded me. Remember two years ago when OneGreenWorld actually had Sichuan pepper plants and it was real exciting? I think several of us ordered them.

So I ordered one. And a Sancho which it's supposed to pollinate with. The Sansho seemed like I was really pushing it as far as zone, and yeah.....it didn't make it. But the Sichuan is doing this now:

...and this reminded me that I need to figure out if those are ready to harvest or what and what the hell I'm gonna do with them. And also figure out what's eating the leaves.

if it's what's been doing it in my yard then it's probably baldfaced hornets

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Ok Comboomer posted:

if it's what's been doing it in my yard then it's probably baldfaced hornets

We definitely have those here, but I can't recall seeing any near the house/that planting. I'll have to try watching it at different times of the day to see if that might be it. Sounds likely.

E: and if it is....I mean, I'm not gonna treat for them. They're good to have around. I'm not even sure they're doing any real "damage" other than making the leaves look bad.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Motronic posted:

Once the pods split open you can harvest them for red peppercorn. You can use them at any point that they’re green and look to be fully grown though. When you prune you can use the leaves to season soups or braises too. I don’t know if I’d eat them though, they’re kind of fibrous. Probably another week or so for yours to pop open from the look of it.

I got one meal from mine last year, I got many dirty looks from my family that night. This year I’ll have enough for a few meals. In a year or two they may just start cooking for themselves in Sept/Oct.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

THANK YOU!

At least I know I have at least a bit of time before I waste anything.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was curious, so I looked up "C Z Grain". Their website is gettreesfast.com, and they don't know poo poo.

Holland shallot hybrid onions

quote:

GROW FRESH VEGETABLES: Holland Shallot Onion sets for growing. Grow onions for cooking, salads, and grilling.

1. A shallot is not an onion. Same species, but at least a hundred years of careful cultivation divide them.
2. That picture? That is not any kind of shallot. That is a red onion.
3. See the little green plant on the bottom right? That is not any kind of onion. I have no idea what it is; it might be some kind of citrus based on the shiny leaves, but that's a guess.

Adams unrooted elderberry cuttings

You know what we call an "unrooted elderberry cutting"? A stick. An experienced grower, given a batch of freshly-cut cuttings, can turn most of them into elderberry plants.

quote:

Easy to grow and just put in 2 inch deep way down.

That? That is total bullshit. Compare the detailed instructions on this page. "Just stick them in the ground and hope for the best" does not appear.

Do not bother planting anything you got from these people.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Growing fern from seed.
because it doesn't have any

It’s true but growing ferns from spores is actually kinda rad! Did you know fern sperm is motile? They actually have lil swimmers, that seems so wild to me.

I had my father in-law collect a few…fronds? And send them my way. That was in the fall one year, I promptly forgot about them in an envelope in the garage all winter.

Come spring, I came across them, so I figured why not. Was able to get waaaaay more spores than I needed.

I sprinkled those liberally over some seed starting cells with sterilized dirt, put blocks of them in old (washed) bread bags, tucked them into a calm, poorly lit part of my living room greenhouse…and then ignored them for like six months while they grew a lush carpet of gametophytes.

At some point, I pulled the blocks of cells out of their sealed bags and moved them to a try with a lid to try to encourage actual maturation.

Tucked that back into the greenhouse and then promptly forgot about it for about a year. Literally, a year. I think I remembered to water it like once. It was mostly sealed, but not perfectly, so while the ferns did start to actually grow, the moisture in the little habitat slowly dwindled and they started to die off a bit. If only I’d realized a bit sooner.

Anyhow, pulled them out of there, teased ‘em apart, and moved the survivors to marginally larger pots.

They lived in those through the rest of winter, occasionally being further neglected and abused. Come spring, we started putting them into proper homes, and now we have self-managing arrangements like this about the yard:

I forget what those flowers are, but they’ve been blooming for like five months straight now. So between those, the ferns, and automatic watering, we have this amazing absolutely hands-off arrangement that looks incredible, and all it took was like two years of neglect!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Motronic posted:

You can harvest them after they turn colour and then dry them until they split. Or you can leave them on the plant until they start to split and harvest them then.

Sichuan peppercorns are drupes, which is the botanical term for stone fruit. The little red guys you have on your plant are basically a thin layer of stuff you want wrapped around a bigass seed. Like imagine you had an orange the size of one of those peppercorns. The endocarp and mesocarp (the skin and fleshy part of the drupe, respectively) are about as thick as the peel of orange would be, with the rest of the volume of the peppercorn is a hard black seed that you don't want to eat (they're safe, just hard and flavourless).

So to use the peppercorns you want to separate the fleshy part from the hard seed. This happens by itself as they ripen, but if you leave them on the plant until they fully split by themselves, a lot of them will drop off the plant, which you don't want. So usually you harvest them before that happens. Usually you can just keep an eye on them after they turn color and when one or two start to split you can harvest the whole cluster. Then you just keep them in a cool dry place and they'll finish the process themselves. You'll end up having to hand-sort through them to catch the ones where the seed didn't fully detach by itself, but with the amount of peppercorns you get from a couple of plants this doesn't take too long.

Having done that you can either use the dried peppercorns to infuse oils and that kind of thing, or you can grind/crush them to produce powder. I do both, and the latter often enough I have a pepper grinder devoted to it.

You can also harvest the peppercorns when they're still green and use them then. They're much more intense then, with a lot more 麻/numbing-tingling sensation and a much stronger citrus-y flavour. But the kind of plant One Green World sells as Sichuan peppercorn—Zanthoxylum simulans—is generally grown for red/dried peppercorns instead of green/fresh peppercorns. But there's nothing stopping you if you want to use yours green.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bad Munki posted:

It’s true but growing ferns from spores is actually kinda rad! Did you know fern sperm is motile? They actually have lil swimmers, that seems so wild to me.

I had my father in-law collect a few…fronds? And send them my way. That was in the fall one year, I promptly forgot about them in an envelope in the garage all winter.

Come spring, I came across them, so I figured why not. Was able to get waaaaay more spores than I needed.

That was an awesome post, thank you!

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SubG posted:

Then you just keep them in a cool dry place and they'll finish the process themselves. You'll end up having to hand-sort through them to catch the ones where the seed didn't fully detach by itself, but with the amount of peppercorns you get from a couple of plants this doesn't take too long.

This I can do. I can even put them in the dehydrator if that helps.

SubG posted:

You can also harvest the peppercorns when they're still green and use them then. They're much more intense then, with a lot more 麻/numbing-tingling sensation and a much stronger citrus-y flavour. But the kind of plant One Green World sells as Sichuan peppercorn—Zanthoxylum simulans—is generally grown for red/dried peppercorns instead of green/fresh peppercorns. But there's nothing stopping you if you want to use yours green.

I think this was one of the things that I wanted to try, but totally forgot about 2 years later. I need to put this in the "gardening calendar" and try some this way next year.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Motronic posted:

This I can do. I can even put them in the dehydrator if that helps.
Trust me on this: do not use your dehydrator on spicy things. Imagine the smell of dropping Szechuan peppercorns into a hot wok. Now imagine that intense nose-prickling smell permeating your house. For hours.

My husband once dehydrated ghost peppers. It has been years, and we have finally progressed to the point that I am willing to read the notes he slides under the bedroom door.

nunsexmonkrock
Apr 13, 2008
I just need a new hobby to keep myself entertaind other than playing Resident Evil Village or Journeyman Project and SpaceQuest.

I put the lime seed in this thingy and poke some holes into the bottom and around the bottom edges since from what I read if it is over watered the leaves will fall off and if it is underwatered the leaves will fall off too lol.

And since it is kinda cardboard I can just put it into a larger pot and the roots will emerge from it - from what I read - but I am always wrong with these things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trust me on this: do not use your dehydrator on spicy things. Imagine the smell of dropping Szechuan peppercorns into a hot wok. Now imagine that intense nose-prickling smell permeating your house. For hours.

My husband once dehydrated ghost peppers. It has been years, and we have finally progressed to the point that I am willing to read the notes he slides under the bedroom door.

lol noted and thank you. I didn't think these thing were that spicy.