Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

fallout 4 became playable for me when i started adding mods that multiplied hostile spawns by 5 to 10. who knew that a game so focused on its shooting mechanics would be better if they actually gave you things to shoot

i never finished my personal use mod that changed the receivers into mechanical stats, and fallout 76 ended up doing mostly that and has significantly more things to kill than fallout 4 so i ended up playing that for a bit instead and was surprised by how okay the story of 76 ended up post-wastelanders

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mr. Lobe posted:

It has the cadence of a particularly good Futurama gag

that's such a pro click

Popy
Feb 19, 2008

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

if you listen to that stupid poo poo you deserve Fallout 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BToG_xNEoo0

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
drat iguazu has serious aggrieved incel vibes. gotta feel for the lad

Cuttlefush
Jan 15, 2014

gotta have my purp
ac6 pretty sick. chromatic aberration is hosed up though

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I take back any mean things I've said about VaatiVidya, because one of his AC6 videos gave me the wonderful recommendation of using the paddles on the back of my controller to enable me to both quick boost and move my camera at the same time (by setting one of the paddles to quick boost - going to set the other to assault boost and disable the L3 one because it's terrible and I constantly do it by mistake during tense moments).

That guy's actual gameplay-focused videos are quite good, even if the lore stuff is very silly.

Communist Thoughts posted:

Ac6 is so hard I cant recommend it to my friends but it's like the most fun From game in terms of gameplay I think.
God drat it feels great to play whether you be hopping around at a thousand miles an hour dumping missiles on people or a giant tank who never stops shooting cannons

The fact that I've been able to progress at all in AC6 makes me feel a bit better about my gaming abilities. Like I'm not good, but at least I'm getting further than some other people. I particularly feel smug about people who get stuck on the first boss. I suck rear end and died many times, but I still figured it out on my own.

And like you said, the basic gameplay just feels good. It's why I like this way more than Elden Ring (which is good in its own way, but you don't get to zoom around as a giant robot).

There are so many fun things you could do with the basic framework this game has; it'll be a shame if there's never much more stuff added. Add new parts, new levels, new enemies. Feels like a shame to take core gameplay so great and not expand on it.

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

im hoping for a big AC6 dlc a la Monster Hunter Iceborne or ACV Verdict Day and then a badass sequel that has a bloated budget since AC6 did so well

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

im hoping for a big AC6 dlc a la Monster Hunter Iceborne or ACV Verdict Day and then a badass sequel that has a bloated budget since AC6 did so well

Yeah; just moving around the robots is so fun that you could basically take the framework for any other action game and adopt it to this system, and it'd be really fun.

One encounter type I'd like to see (that might show up later and I just haven't come across it yet) is one where you have to deal with a large enough number of weaker enemies that they become threatening. A situation where the AoE-focused weapons would actually be able to shine more. So far, the only encounters with weaker enemies that have been risky at all are the ones that also include artillery/snipers that can do super heavy damage with individual shots.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Ytlaya posted:

I take back any mean things I've said about VaatiVidya, because one of his AC6 videos gave me the wonderful recommendation of using the paddles on the back of my controller to enable me to both quick boost and move my camera at the same time (by setting one of the paddles to quick boost - going to set the other to assault boost and disable the L3 one because it's terrible and I constantly do it by mistake during tense moments).

I did the same thing within 5 minutes of installing the game, but i I just bound right paddle to target lock. maybe i'll change right paddle to something else since i really dont toggle it that much.

L3 is such a god awful button that I disable it and only use the back button on my 8bitdo instead of that garbage

seriously whoever designed thumbstick buttons deserves the guillotine more than jeffrey bezos

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xaris posted:

L3 is such a god awful button that I disable it and only use the back button on my 8bitdo instead of that garbage

seriously whoever designed thumbstick buttons deserves the guillotine more than jeffrey bezos

Yup

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Ending the night with a 10 kill crown victory. 👑 gently caress yeah feels good. 😎

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

goons unable to rein in their gorilla hands enough to not slam the L3 button when moving around :sad:

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

gonna make a platforming game where the L3 button is permanently bound to drop the player's pants around their ankles and make them trip and fall

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

this makes me lol every time

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
depends on the game. some of them use the L3/R3 where it doesnt make sense. monster hunter usage of it makes perfect sense

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i feel like we hit kind of a sweet spot with button hold radial control schemes, but who knows what the future holds

L3/R3 aren't my fave, especially if it toggles on and off sprint on the same stick as movement

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
haptic feedback control gloves, their time has come

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won
dear loving god you have to S rank every mission to get the platinum in ac6. i dunno if i have it in me

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

L3 and r3 are used constantly in this household.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i don't like clicking the sticks. there's a lot of open real estate on the front of most controllers, no reason they couldn't cram another half dozen face buttons in there. the sony ones are dumb as hell with those giant stupid buttons on em

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

punished milkman posted:

dear loving god you have to S rank every mission to get the platinum in ac6. i dunno if i have it in me

well, ya gotta ask yourself if you have the mental fortitude to waste an extra 50 or 100 hours of your life getting better at a videogame in a way that no one could possibly care about

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

I have never accidentally clicked l3 or r3. I did just lose my first game of against the storm though. 5 years and I didn’t even complete one contract :negative:

Buffer
May 6, 2007
I sometimes turn down sex and blowjobs from my girlfriend because I'm too busy posting in D&D. PS: She used my credit card to pay for this.
some of those missions like the one with the loving snipers that cloak up at the limits of the ceiling I never really want to play again, much less S-Rank.

the milk machine
Jul 23, 2002

lick my keys

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

there was nothing good or interesting about Fallout 4

big robot stompy stompy

also I used the console to make the journalist woman companion really tall and fat and had her carry around a raider minigun

goty whatever year that was or maybe not

indigi
Jul 20, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
l3/r3 stink just add more buttons. add a pinky button

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

punished milkman posted:

i S ranked a mission where you fight a boss and an AC where i finished with around 50% HP and zero repair kits remaining. it's surprisingly forgiving and maybe wouldn't be that horrible

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Woo got the wall robot down with 24 health units left gently caress yeah

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I probably raged most at the chapter 1 boss, was most shamed by the tutorial boss and was most frustrated by the first mission of chapter 3

But I'm only like halfway through chapter 3 so far. It's been nice to have a few missions in a row that aren't ball busters and are just fun

It's also funny that people were sharing pre release reviews that talked about there not being a lot of story when there's 1000x more than any previous AC and arguably more than almost any soulsborne

Theres pre mission chat, during mission chat, little cutscenes that show off your robot, after mission chat, between mission chat. Item descriptions and arena descriptions that flesh out the characters and their orgs.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Community notes never beating the tedious pedant allegations

FirstnameLastname
Jul 10, 2022
The structure of Saturn is somewhat less interesting because of the lower mass and internal pressure and because of the relative paucity of useful observational data. It now appears that metallic hydrogen is marginal (but probably not absent) in Saturn and that there is a larger enrichment of heavy elements than in Jupiter.

For the purposes of modeling the outer envelopes of Jupiter and Saturn, it is of great interest to know what the composition of the “excess” heavy material was. One plausible suggestion is that this is no more than the general solid material stable at that heliocentric distance in the Solar Nebula. In that case, the elements enriched in Jupiter would include all the rock-forming elements, including S, plus H2O ice, and possibly ammonia. Saturn would have enhanced abundances of all of these, plus possibly methane. If this simple explanation were correct, then the only elements that might be enriched in accessible parts of Jupiter would be sulfur and oxygen (as H2S and H2O) and possibly N as ammonia. Of course, these species and possibly methane as well could be enriched in the outer envelope of Saturn. The other heavy elements are probably of little consequence for modeling observable portions of either planet.

The presence of an extensive liquid, electrically conducting mantle on Jupiter has obvious similarities to the liquid, electrically conducting outer core of the Earth, which is the source of Earth's magnetic field. In addition, ionization of hydrogen by the high temperatures and pressures in the molecular mantle may provide quite significant electrical conductivities even there.

Based on plausible internal structures and the convective mechanism for heat transport, it is reasonable to attribute the source of heat to the continuing tail-end of the collapse phases of both Jupiter and Saturn. It is possible that the heat is derived from the growth of the metallic hydrogen mantle, which is associated with slow shrinkage of the entire planet at a rate of 1 mm per year; indeed, these two mechanisms are in no sense mutually exclusive or even competitive, either being a logical consequence of the other.

A typical internal model of Jupiter is given in Fig. V.4a. The density discontinuity at the molecular H2 to metallic H transition at 0.76 rJ is clearly visible, and the core of heavy elements is obvious. Only about 0.01% of the volume of the planet experiences a gravitation acceleration l

Figure V.4. The interiors of Jupiter and Saturn. The pressure, density, gravitational acceleration, and temperature are given as a function of radius for typical internal models. a illustrates the great importance of metallization of hydrogen on Jupiter. b is a “pie” diagram of a likely internal structure for Saturn. Note the smaller metallic hydrogen region and the helium-rich layer formed because of the limited solubility of helium in fluid metallic hydrogen. It is not clear whether helium would mix with the icy component or how well the ice-forming elements will mix with (dissolve) the rocky core materials. The boundaries between these layers are thus merely schematic, and no distinct boundaries may exist.

Figure V.4b is a comparable internal model of Saturn. Note the much lower pressures deep in the gaseous envelope. Even complete absence of a metallic H mantle would not prevent the electrical conductivity from being large, because, as in the envelope of Jupiter, high pressures decrease the width of the gap between the filled molecular orbital of H2 and the lowest-lying (unfilled) conduction band. Further, species much more easily ionized than H2 are present in trace amounts deep in the lower atmosphere. When high temperatures are combined with high pressures, thermal excitation of electrons across the narrowed band gap becomes possible. Thus even the absence of a metallic H region on Saturn would not preclude the generation of magnetic fields by an internal convectively driven dynamo.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
drivin arount a 1980's shitbox

https://i.imgur.com/bsYZ852.mp4
https://i.imgur.com/MUqrOJz.mp4

130 hp babyyy

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ngl I miss solar system focused sci-fi, the kinda planetary romance style focus on things, like Cowboy Bebop

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Ngl I miss solar system focused sci-fi, the kinda planetary romance style focus on things, like Cowboy Bebop

go play outer wilds, the most solar system focused sci-fi

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

SirSamVimes posted:

go play outer wilds, probably the best game ever made

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

SirSamVimes posted:

the causality-breaking wormhole puzzle alone is the most innovative gameplay i have seen in a looooong time

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Isn't that the entire gimmick of Destiny?

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I never played the Outer Wilds DLC, but it's been so long I can't remember how to play the game. Is the DLC siloed off or easy to get to?

bitmap
Aug 8, 2006

a_gelatinous_cube posted:

I never played the Outer Wilds DLC, but it's been so long I can't remember how to play the game. Is the DLC siloed off or easy to get to?

totally parallel to the "main game". theres a "place" you can go which is totally self contained. it's really, really good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

It really be like these.