Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tom Clancy is Dead posted:

It happened in two chapter rather than the next chapter. It wasn't a joke, it was an untagged spoiler about something pretty critical to the story.

Thanks for this. I phrased it that way because I'm not invested in these web serials to be able to tell whether it was or not, nor was it clear from reading the thread it was a real spoiler. Frankly, if I have to do deep detective work on a post to tell whether its a "real" spoiler or not I'm just going to probe because even if its a troll its a lovely joke that negatively impacts the cool thing you all have going on in here.

The post has been quoted enough that retrospective spoiler tag addition isn't possible at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

shades of blue posted:

gender and sex arent as clearly and inextricably linked as you are presenting them to be and this is immediately apparent if you look at literally any part of human history. gender is a fully separate and distinct thing from sex. a society that has moved beyond assigning gender based on sex and which has moved away from a binary system of gender would necessarily also over time grow to be less understanding of strict binary assignations.

I basically agree with you - I think you misinterpreted my post as the sort of is/ought conflation you tend to frequently see when people talk about this topic. I do not think gender and sex are intrinsically linked - only that different cultures have acted as if there is a link (and that this can be inferred through witnessing the media of said cultures). I'm only arguing that I think that people in the circumstances of the story in question might be able to comprehend why other cultures may been this way. If the setting were different (if it was a completely "post-gender" setting, or one where the genders of "man" and "woman" didn't even exist anymore) I'd agree that it makes perfect sense for the gender binary to be incomprehensible to the characters. And (while writing this post), I realized that even as written it could still make sense, depending on how much information they actually have access to about the "pre-Neocambrian" age (to use the story's term for our current era). We already know that the media in question are flawed reproductions (like them being oblivious that people in our societies didn't use laser guns). If they have a society where there seems to be zero correlation between a person's body and their gender, and all the media reproductions they have access to are also like this, then it makes sense that it'd seem really weird and arbitrary (since in this case all the men and women in the zombie movie reproduction they watched would just look/act like men and women in their own society - where there's zero link between understanding of those genders and peoples' bodies). It's possible (if not outright likely) that the people who created the movie production were only aware that "there was a gender binary of men/woman at the time of this media" and had the actors appear/behave in a way consistent with their understanding of those genders. It's just a bit implausible to me that they'd lose that information while still retaining information like "the plot of a zombie movie from the 20th century."

Here's one way of putting it - if I watched a movie from some other culture with a gender binary, and everyone with blonde hair was considered one gender and everyone non-blonde hair was considered the other, I could still infer what was happening (even though it's completely foreign to my culture's understanding of gender). It would just quickly become apparent that, for whatever reason, the culture I'm witnessing has linked their understanding of gender with peoples' hair color.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Ytlaya posted:

I basically agree with you - I think you misinterpreted my post as the sort of is/ought conflation you tend to frequently see when people talk about this topic. I do not think gender and sex are intrinsically linked - only that different cultures have acted as if there is a link (and that this can be inferred through witnessing the media of said cultures). I'm only arguing that I think that people in the circumstances of the story in question might be able to comprehend why other cultures may been this way. If the setting were different (if it was a completely "post-gender" setting, or one where the genders of "man" and "woman" didn't even exist anymore) I'd agree that it makes perfect sense for the gender binary to be incomprehensible to the characters. And (while writing this post), I realized that even as written it could still make sense, depending on how much information they actually have access to about the "pre-Neocambrian" age (to use the story's term for our current era). We already know that the media in question are flawed reproductions (like them being oblivious that people in our societies didn't use laser guns). If they have a society where there seems to be zero correlation between a person's body and their gender, and all the media reproductions they have access to are also like this, then it makes sense that it'd seem really weird and arbitrary (since in this case all the men and women in the zombie movie reproduction they watched would just look/act like men and women in their own society - where there's zero link between understanding of those genders and peoples' bodies). It's possible (if not outright likely) that the people who created the movie production were only aware that "there was a gender binary of men/woman at the time of this media" and had the actors appear/behave in a way consistent with their understanding of those genders. It's just a bit implausible to me that they'd lose that information while still retaining information like "the plot of a zombie movie from the 20th century."

Here's one way of putting it - if I watched a movie from some other culture with a gender binary, and everyone with blonde hair was considered one gender and everyone non-blonde hair was considered the other, I could still infer what was happening (even though it's completely foreign to my culture's understanding of gender). It would just quickly become apparent that, for whatever reason, the culture I'm witnessing has linked their understanding of gender with peoples' hair color.

Knowledge of the present day gender binary is clearly not lost. Aspen and others were clearly aware of it and not really bothered by it. It's just so far in the past to them that it's not in the common consciousness and the notion of less than 3 genders is a novel idea to many of them.

I'm sure there are tons of things which were common sense to people from 400 years ago which aren't widely known today and which would seem really loving weird to us but aren't, like, incomprehensible to us.

Same thing to them.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

Knowledge of the present day gender binary is clearly not lost. Aspen and others were clearly aware of it and not really bothered by it. It's just so far in the past to them that it's not in the common consciousness and the notion of less than 3 genders is a novel idea to many of them.

They're aware of the gender binary of the past, but this doesn't mean they understand the way our cultures thought of the gender binary. It's possible that all they know is "most cultures in pre-Neocambrian types only acknowledged two genders, man and woman," but their understanding of "man" and "woman" is completely different than our own.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Holy poo poo at TTOU Patreon chapter 96 I thought "yeah the new crew is dead now, time for murder mysterypart 2" was going to be enough of a shakeup but I guess there's always room for more

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Huh, well apparently in Slumrat today in ch 128 Truth met Yaldabaoth in his hanging trip. Which is apparently the "Evil God" of the Gnostics, who the Anti-Theists are modeled after. Kinda makes you wonder if they are the ones who are right.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

TWI Patreon just dropped, double chapter that is 78k words, lol aba calm the gently caress down (at least they gonna skip the next update)

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Lone Goat posted:

TWI Patreon just dropped, double chapter that is 78k words, lol aba calm the gently caress down (at least they gonna skip the next update)

Just wrote a novel for my next update, no biggie.

Sometimes when I write long updates I wonder if I can't get the update to be a bit smaller and if I'm properly respecting the time of my readers. Then I look at Pirateaba updates and I'm drowning in words.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Lone Goat posted:

To be fair, it’s three releases worth of text.

…just written in the time span of two releases.

…after a massive storm swept through their area and knocked out the power for a day.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Piell posted:

Holy poo poo at TTOU Patreon chapter 96 I thought "yeah the new crew is dead now, time for murder mysterypart 2" was going to be enough of a shakeup but I guess there's always room for more

it's got to be the ship right?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

Nothingtoseehere posted:

it's got to be the ship right?

TTOU 96:Last time we saw Tal, ke was talking about the ID chips and ran off to try something. It's been mentioned before that the computer is bad enough at facial recognition that the chips take priority, and the wording was whether the the chip is "inside a living body" for crew hierarchy. Chrono Ring 5 is where half the host brains are, so maybe an attempt to kill the AI?.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

.Z. posted:

To be fair, it’s three releases worth of text.

…just written in the time span of two releases.

…after a massive storm swept through their area and knocked out the power for a day.

I don't know why people aren't speculating about chatGPT? Maybe it's just an obvious thing that's annoying? But I never see anyone talk very much about the contents of this serial anymore here except to note the volume, exactly the kind of thing you can do with tools now.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Brain Candy posted:

I don't know why people aren't speculating about chatGPT? Maybe it's just an obvious thing that's annoying? But I never see anyone talk very much about the contents of this serial anymore here except to note the volume, exactly the kind of thing you can do with tools now.
I mean, has the writing changed any? I dropped off TWI like three years ago (oh god time flies) but pirateaba was always producing a frankly incredible volume of words at a consistent rate, so if the writing doesn't sound any different, no, it's just their existing insane workeaholic habits.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
ChatGPT (or any chatbot/AI) cannot maintain a consistent plot. It can't plan, foreshadow, make callbacks or even remember the personality of a character. It can't even remember what happened in the previous chapter, if it's not generated in the same session. pirateaba could go back and fix all of that after the fact, but it would honestly be as much work, if not more, than just writing without ChatGPT mucking things up.

It would be obvious within a handful of chapters if pirateaba was using something like ChatGPT and not fixing those issues. New works can maybe get away with it, additional emphasis on maybe, but an established work cannot without immediately throwing away any connection to what's already written and what's going to be written in the future.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The serial predates any widely available GPT software, and the author streams their writing live. As for why we're not discussing the content, I can't speak for the others, but in my case it's because I'm not even halfway through the last two updates yet. I just finished Huntsong and Ghostsong and am going to read this week's monster chapter before I move on to Warsong. I'm interested to see where this Kasigna/wisp plot goes, and am anxiously awaiting whatever comes on Winter Solstice. It's likely to be something cool but my wildcard guess is nothing of note happens and Erin just ends up looking like a fool for inviting everyone.

tldr--it's still very entertaining and is absolutely nowhere near as lifeless as a story made by ChatGPT.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

TTO:U 92 and 93. Man, gently caress Captain Sands with a rusty metal rod. I bet that guy is behind the murders too.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

TTOU 93: I don't see how he could have done it, as he was also playing video games with the non-convict crew, but yeah my money's on Sands too.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

TTOU has just taken such a wild ride the last few chapters. It felt like forward progress was being made and conflicts set up from it, and now it's just all jumping around the place. Remains to be seen if it pays off or not, but story has been good so far.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Argue posted:

The serial predates any widely available GPT software, and the author streams their writing live.

Okay sure!

Onean posted:

ChatGPT (or any chatbot/AI) cannot maintain a consistent plot. It can't plan, foreshadow, make callbacks or even remember the personality of a character. It can't even remember what happened in the previous chapter, if it's not generated in the same session. pirateaba could go back and fix all of that after the fact, but it would honestly be as much work, if not more, than just writing without ChatGPT mucking things up.

Part of what you're see there is the choice not to have anything feed into itself, it can't 'remember' because the prompts and outputs are not used as inputs. This isn't necessary, but it's done after some notable failures because you don't want your bot drinking the unfiltered sewer that is the internet.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
pirate is real, and strong, and loving murders my serial reading schedule

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Brain Candy posted:

Okay sure!

Part of what you're see there is the choice not to have anything feed into itself, it can't 'remember' because the prompts and outputs are not used as inputs. This isn't necessary, but it's done after some notable failures because you don't want your bot drinking the unfiltered sewer that is the internet.

I can't articulate my point to my satisfaction.

I'll just say that even if you do that, ChatGPT still can't do anything regarding the connective elements that will bring a whole piece together and make it more than the sum of its parts. Foreshadowing, callbacks, long-term plans and consequences, character growth and all the other stuff that pushes a story forward, rather than constantly running in a hamster wheel; none of that can be adequately covered by AI tools. It has to be tracked and written in by someone, and if you've been writing a world for over 7 years like pirateaba it's just simpler to do everything on your own than trying to fix whatever ChatGPT spits out.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Just let the TWI fans constantly run in to breathlessly exclaim about word count, its all they want to do and at least it doesn't fill the thread with pages of spoilers

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

Brain Candy posted:

nobody speculates about it because it is an idea that is obviously wrong. hth

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Piell posted:

Just let the TWI fans constantly run in to breathlessly exclaim about word count, its all they want to do and at least it doesn't fill the thread with pages of spoilers

You're assuming the lengths of chapters aren't secretly encoding a message!

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!

Piell posted:

I don't think anyone who reads web serials is in a position to criticize anyone else for being a reading gourmand.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

nrook posted:

I don't think anyone who reads web serials is in a position to criticize anyone else for being a reading gourmand.

ill have u know i only read the FINEST homestuck/worm rationalist self-insert hurt/comfortfic

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Jazerus posted:

nobody speculates about it because it is an idea that is obviously wrong. hth

i won't be taking any criticisms from bots, thx!

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

ill have u know i only read the FINEST homestuck/worm rationalist self-insert hurt/comfortfic
now here's the real question

is this indicating that you read two things, or is it homestuck SLASH worm as one thing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

now here's the real question

is this indicating that you read two things, or is it homestuck SLASH worm as one thing

one thing, yes

but we homewormies prefer to think of it as a Way of Life, not just a 'thing'

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Onean posted:

It would be obvious within a handful of chapters if pirateaba was using something like ChatGPT and not fixing those issues. New works can maybe get away with it, additional emphasis on maybe, but an established work cannot without immediately throwing away any connection to what's already written and what's going to be written in the future.

To be fair to Brain Candy, people were speculating that pirateaba was a group of people writing before they started streaming. The output is just ridiculous.

As for discussion, probably a big absence of it because there hasn't been anything to really discuss/hard to discuss for like that last 4 months. It's been two months of beach chapters, which honestly have been pretty fillery. Then the month and a half break for Gravesong stuff which is patreon only and a massive amount of text to read through (400k have fun with that). I just want them to get to the Solstice chapters already. Hopefully that's not too far off given that it's a week away in Innworld.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Megazver posted:

one thing, yes

but we homewormies prefer to think of it as a Way of Life, not just a 'thing'
would have picked wormhomies because then it sounds like you're all homies

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

would have picked wormhomies because then it sounds like you're all homies

please do not invoke the Eternal Argument

the rift has barely mended since the last time

let's just agree that both homewormies and wormhomies have their equal place in our Family

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I still say WormStuckers is catchier.

Honestly, I didn't take the initial comment as looking down on TWI. It is just very funny that most posts about TWI only talk about how many words there are. I am sure the readers enjoy actual elements of the story, but most posts don't mention them.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
when I read TWI it felt like all the characters and interactions I wanted kept being the ones that got brought up briefly, then sidelined

(the bit where one of the wizards was pretending to be from Earth to infiltrate the group chat should have lasted longer than one conversation, for instance)

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Piell posted:

we're too busy reading to post

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

It's just hard to talk about TWI, there's too much content. I guess I can say the latest Patreon chapter actually got me a little emotional near the end? But honestly that's also not saying much, I think TWI has been more consistent at eliciting emotion from me than anything else I've ever read. Sure, it goes for cheap button pushes a lot of the time but drat if it doesn't work on me.

Sibling of TB
Aug 4, 2007
I like reading things but I usually don't have much to discuss about them.

I mean, now I'm going through the Flower that Bloomed Nowhere and it's a really slow grind but it's starting to kick in with the really deep cosmic horror vibe so I'm sticking with it.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
Wandering Inn chat returns.

Its good fun entertainment that I wish would do things a bit more organised and maybe finish off some storylines before introducing five more and ten new characters.

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Affi posted:

Wandering Inn chat returns.

Its good fun entertainment that I wish would do things a bit more organised and maybe finish off some storylines before introducing five more and ten new characters.

Or having one character become 10 more characters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

SupSup 82

Somehow, the absolute mad theory on Boe being the cat was both right and wrong.

Incredible.