Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Wow, that is quite a defense from Meadows for “we” not meaning “me”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep
He clearly meant the peasant we, which is like the opposite of the royal We, meaning everyone but me

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

He's just used to taking partial credit for other people's work while being able to deny working on any part that was bad, that's all. It's just that he finally took partial credit for something that was all bad.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
... huh.

LEAVE TO FILE DENIED- Motion for Judicial Notice Affidavit of Victor Shorkin as to DONALD J. TRUMP. This document is unavailable as the Court denied its filing. "This document is unavailable as the Court denied its filing. Although Courts have in rare instances exercised their discretion to permit third-party submissions in criminal cases, neither the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedures nor the Local Rules contemplate the filing of amicus curiae briefs. At this time, the court does not find it necessary to depart from the ordinary procedures course by permitting this filing". Signed by Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on 8/21/2023. (zhsj) (Entered: 08/29/2023)

Viktor Shorkin was the Prosecutor General in Ukraine who was fired in 2016. The right (and Shorkin) likes to claim he was fired for not investigating Hunter Biden.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Tayter Swift posted:

... huh.

LEAVE TO FILE DENIED- Motion for Judicial Notice Affidavit of Victor Shorkin as to DONALD J. TRUMP. This document is unavailable as the Court denied its filing. "This document is unavailable as the Court denied its filing. Although Courts have in rare instances exercised their discretion to permit third-party submissions in criminal cases, neither the Federal Rules of Criminal Procedures nor the Local Rules contemplate the filing of amicus curiae briefs. At this time, the court does not find it necessary to depart from the ordinary procedures course by permitting this filing". Signed by Judge Tanya S. Chutkan on 8/21/2023. (zhsj) (Entered: 08/29/2023)

Viktor Shorkin was the Prosecutor General in Ukraine who was fired in 2016. The right (and Shorkin) likes to claim he was fired for not investigating Hunter Biden.

The opposite, actually. They claim he was fired for investigating Hunter Biden/Burisma while Hunter Biden "worked" there but he was fired for not investigating Burisma, among other things. They also point to a comment made by Biden saying that Ukraine needed to get rid of Shokin to recieve some amount of foreign aid but that was a request coming not only from the US but the EU as well.

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1696158716427374800
https://twitter.com/PhilHollowayEsq/status/1696579245986742758

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

https://twitter.com/kyledcheney/status/1696608123266503048

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

How does that permission to file bit serve the prosecution? Is that them putting up a sign that now's the time to turn state's evidence or something?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

Cabbit posted:

How does that permission to file bit serve the prosecution? Is that them putting up a sign that now's the time to turn state's evidence or something?

I'm guessing they're setting up two trials.

First group is for anybody who doesn't want to be associated with Trump, and might even flip depending on how the case goes

Second group is Trump and everyone else getting convicted

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Every now and again it hits me just how totally insane and unprecedented all this is.

And I say "now and again" because, at least in my certain circles, it very rarely even comes up. And certainly not with the regularity that something of this magnitude truly warrants. It's in the news constantly, of course, but it seems like most people are content to just go to work and not talk about politics.

I've heard more people openly discussing submersible submarines and Barbie in the last month than any of this.

The biggest indication I see that it's even happening are huge Trump flags on F150's and poo poo.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Cabbit posted:

It reads to me that the judge goofed up and Willis is politely asking them what the gently caress exactly it is they are doing.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

BiggerBoat posted:

Every now and again it hits me just how totally insane and unprecedented all this is.

And I say "now and again" because, at least in my certain circles, it very rarely even comes up. And certainly not with the regularity that something of this magnitude truly warrants. It's in the news constantly, of course, but it seems like most people are content to just go to work and not talk about politics.

I've heard more people openly discussing submersible submarines and Barbie in the last month than any of this.

The biggest indication I see that it's even happening are huge Trump flags on F150's and poo poo.

I imagine a lot of people are utterly exhausted with *gestures wildly* everything, and movies and funny billionaire deaths are a refreshing change from it.

Even then, what is there to say that hasn't already been said elsewhere? There's going to be a lot of talking about it, but none of it will really mean anything until trials actually begin and convictions are actually handed out.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Yeah, it looks like the request says "Did you mean to split up the cases? Because you did split up the cases, and I RESPECTFULLY ASK that we talk about this."

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

It depends on what the definition of the word "we" is.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

BiggerBoat posted:

Dunno about your coworkers but I much prefer Barbenheimer chat and death sub chat to the usual Trump-adjacent or I HATE MY WIFE or who saw the latest Tucker tweet or any of the lovely things that come up

God bless days i don’t have to hear about Donald J Trump

ArmyGroup303
Apr 10, 2004

If this were real life, I would have piloted this helicopter with you still in it.

BiggerBoat posted:

People on the whole are completely done with Trump-centric poo poo and likely will only care once he does/say something absolutely insane on the stand (and this is a high bar to hit) and/or has to deal with a guilty verdict.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010
Seems like a bad sign for Trump with regards to his NY civil trial.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-won-t-let-banks-194813247.html

Charlz Guybon fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 30, 2023

The Bible
May 8, 2010

Charlz Guybon posted:

Seems like a bad sogn for Trump with regards to his NY civil trial.
https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/judge-won-t-let-banks-194813247.html

Just more evidence proving how innocent he definitely is.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Couple pieces - first, an interview with Georgia's State Senate Majority Leader Steve Gooch that may just find its way in to the litigation over SB92

quote:

On state Sen. Colton Moore’s call for a special session to oust Fulton County District Attorney Fani Willis:

“Most of the people in the caucus would say they feel just as upset and angry about what’s going on as Colton does. They want to do something. We haven’t made a decision on what actions can and should be taken. But having a special session requires a process, and we simply do not have those votes. You’d have to have Democratic support. And what would you do if you had a special session? In order to impeach someone, the House would have to pass a resolution, then it would come over to the Senate for a trial that would require a two-thirds majority of the Senate — and there’s simply no way we’d have the numbers to do that as well.”

On the new prosecutorial oversight commission:

“We firmly believe that Willis’ office is being used for political purposes, and that it’s being weaponized against Republican candidates running for office. We’re just as upset as Sen. Moore is, but we have a job to do. We’ll be prepared for Oct. 1 when Senate Bill 92 goes into full effect and that commission is put into place. There could be complaints filed by various people. … And that will give people the opportunity to file a complaint to take the politics out of it more than trying to have an impeachment hearing.”

On other options to sanction Willis:

“One idea is to have the Government Oversight Committee to call hearings to bring witnesses in to testify and answer questions about just how the office is being run. … We are concerned about her using her position in a political manner and not to do the job that she’s sworn her oath to do.”

On why he’s seeking retribution against Willis:

“There’s a lot of angry people in this state on both sides of this issue. But there’s still a majority of the Republican base who feel like there was fraud in the 2020 election, and they don’t feel like it was completely vetted properly and investigated. And that’s why a lot of these people are still upset today. They don’t feel like they were heard. And I think Colton Moore resonates with those people, and they support what he’s saying, but maybe not the way he’s saying it and the way he’s conducting himself in the chamber.”

Also, the Proud Boy sentencing for Tarrio and Nordean is cancelled due to an unspecified emergency:
https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1696878032466702607
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1696877691989860839

Based on MacFarlane (CBS), it does not appear to be a bomb threat or similar.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Pretty dang curious what a "courtroom emergency" is. They make it sound like it's a problem with the literal courtroom, and not a problem with the people involved. Some sort of technical issue?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Paracaidas posted:

Couple pieces - first, an interview with Georgia's State Senate Majority Leader Steve Gooch that may just find its way in to the litigation over SB92

Also, the Proud Boy sentencing for Tarrio and Nordean is cancelled due to an unspecified emergency:
https://twitter.com/dsamuelsohn/status/1696878032466702607
https://twitter.com/MacFarlaneNews/status/1696877691989860839

Based on MacFarlane (CBS), it does not appear to be a bomb threat or similar.

From what I've seen by looking into the oversight board, I don't think it's likely they could run through the process fast enough to get ahead of any Trump trial date. So even if it's a danger to that prosecutor's position it probably won't endanger this instant case unless they feel pressured to drop it themselves.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Aug 30, 2023

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

Xiahou Dun posted:

Pretty dang curious what a "courtroom emergency" is. They make it sound like it's a problem with the literal courtroom, and not a problem with the people involved. Some sort of technical issue?
Whatever it is, :tinfoil:they:tinfoil: have gotten to the spokesperson
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696887465502519330

ETA:
Mystery settled unsatisfyingly
https://twitter.com/Brandi_Buchman/status/1696899465607524853

Paracaidas fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 30, 2023

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Per the TRumplol thread: The judge fell ill.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
Rudy has been hit with a default judgment for discovery and procedural fuckery in the defamation case brought by Freeman and Moss, the election workers at the center of the Trumpworld Georgia lies and targets of many of the statements and intimidation acts charged by Willis.

Howell accurately notes that Rudy has calculated that the costs of avoiding discovery in this case outweigh the other civil and criminal risks that would result from discovery and this trial. In addition to the default judgment, there's also notice that the jury in the damages trial will receive a mandatory instruction about Rudy's discovery malfeasance:

quote:

the jury will be instructed that they must, when determining an appropriate sum of punitive damages, infer that Giuliani is intentionally trying to hide relevant discovery about his financial assets for the purpose of artificially deflating his net worth.

The more common standard is permissive - that the jury may infer Giuliani is trying to artificially deflate his net worth. Howell has made clear Rudy has 3 weeks to rectify that specific portion of discovery, in which case Howell may choose to revert to the permissive instruction.

This can be read as another in the series of "you'll be left alone taking the hit" fates that befall Trump lackeys who try to shield Trump or break the law to his benefit.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

It’s Alex Jones all over.

“Rarar I’ll be vindicated in court!” But then court actually cares about truth and evidence (at least some), so they can’t just bluster through.

Eat poo poo, Rude boy.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

PainterofCrap posted:

Someone's giving the Proud Boys novichok :tinfoil:

EDIT: Seriously though that's so mundane for calling it an "emergency"

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Paracaidas posted:

Rudy has been hit with a default judgment for discovery and procedural fuckery in the defamation case brought by Freeman and Moss, the election workers at the center of the Trumpworld Georgia lies and targets of many of the statements and intimidation acts charged by Willis.

Howell accurately notes that Rudy has calculated that the costs of avoiding discovery in this case outweigh the other civil and criminal risks that would result from discovery and this trial. In addition to the default judgment, there's also notice that the jury in the damages trial will receive a mandatory instruction about Rudy's discovery malfeasance:

The more common standard is permissive - that the jury may infer Giuliani is trying to artificially deflate his net worth. Howell has made clear Rudy has 3 weeks to rectify that specific portion of discovery, in which case Howell may choose to revert to the permissive instruction.

This can be read as another in the series of "you'll be left alone taking the hit" fates that befall Trump lackeys who try to shield Trump or break the law to his benefit.

So, not only is Rudy guilty, he's Turbo (1) EXTRA(2) Guilty.

(1) Turbo means guilty before the trial even starts, which will only be about damages
(2) Extra menas the jury gets told "This person is trying to hide assets. Sic'em"

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

SirFozzie posted:

(1) Turbo means guilty before the trial even starts, which will only be about damages
(2) Extra menas the jury gets told "This person is trying to hide assets. Sic'em"

Well, sort of. This is a civil action not a criminal action. So he's liable, not guilty.

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
yeah, but guilty sounds better ;)

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
In the legal, he's liable. In the vernacular, he's guilty. In the vulgar, fuckin lmao get rekd rudy

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

“Georgia State Senate Leader Gooch" posted:

“There’s a lot of angry people in this state on both sides of this issue. But there’s still a majority of the Republican base who feel like there was fraud in the 2020 election, and they don’t feel like it was completely vetted properly and investigated. And that’s why a lot of these people are still upset today. They don’t feel like they were heard.

To paraphrase your side from six years ago, gently caress your feelings.

Your side filed hundreds of lawsuits. They had years of investigations. They literally hold subpoena power in Congress. Nothing was ever found, no proof was ever gathered, and the people still leading the change are talking about the Pope changing vote totals through Italian satellites. Stop coddling these stupid narcissists and reinforcing their beliefs that if they don’t get exactly what they want every time they want it, that it’s a conspiracy forcing injustice upon them.

This country is so loving stupid and spineless.

Rampant Dwickery
Nov 12, 2011

Comfy and cozy.
Yeah, he's "liable" in the same way Alex "$1.5 *billion*" Jones is "liable."

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair
So we're saying Rudy is part of the turbo team? He's certainly got the right figure for it

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

skeleton warrior posted:

To paraphrase your side from six years ago, gently caress your feelings.

Your side filed hundreds of lawsuits. They had years of investigations. They literally hold subpoena power in Congress. Nothing was ever found, no proof was ever gathered, and the people still leading the change are talking about the Pope changing vote totals through Italian satellites. Stop coddling these stupid narcissists and reinforcing their beliefs that if they don’t get exactly what they want every time they want it, that it’s a conspiracy forcing injustice upon them.

This country is so loving stupid and spineless.

Not entirely accurate. We did find a small amount of voter fraud had been attempted.

By Republicans. :v:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

PainterofCrap posted:

Yeah I've had similar postponements when like the court reporters machine broke or the judge had a funeral to go to or whatever.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

SirFozzie posted:

so he and Alex Jones tried the same bullshit. How'd that end up for Jones again?

Kibibit
Sep 10, 2009

You must be a friend that's good at shredding!

Scratch Monkey posted:

so he and Alex Jones tried the same bullshit. How'd that end up for Jones again?

I know it's rhetorical, but he's not legally allowed to have money ever again, basically. Here's hoping Giuliani gets the same.

Jesus III
May 23, 2007
I think America's Mayor is trying to stay out of jail and is more concerned about discovery turning up more evidence against him than losing a civil suit.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Kibibit posted:

I know it's rhetorical, but he's not legally allowed to have money ever again, basically. Here's hoping Giuliani gets the same.

if only we did the same for all millionaires/billionaires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Yeah trump really pissed off the Georgia gop that matters

https://twitter.com/stphnfwlr/status/1696984418970165260?s=46&t=JBd6ZXmGQ3LmWL-ineTnAA

Fixed the link

FizFashizzle fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Aug 31, 2023