Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Has anyone else heard any rumblings on the rumored USC Jurassic park Jeep from way back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

DrChud posted:

Has anyone else heard any rumblings on the rumored USC Jurassic park Jeep from way back?

There's a Lego Jurassic Park TV Special airing on Peacock sometime soon so the current rumor is we will be seeing an announcement then.

lomzus
Mar 18, 2009
https://twitter.com/Falconbricks/status/1696874642584068169

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
$130 for 2100 pieces and mini figs? That’s too reasonable to be true.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Fantastic value, because the set itself looks kind of dull

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I don't remember that being selected for Ideas. It looks okay. I kinda like it. But it's also kinda boring. It looks like a kids set that had an adult once over.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is this someone at lego going back to an old submission and saying "I want to make this"?

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

IIRC they took three submissions that didn't get selected for past Ideas and put them up on a poll for people to vote on. The winning set was this one, which got made into a Target exclusive.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

That looks amazing. edit: I'm not into the modulars so I don't have the same eye you guys do. I thought it looked cool. ANYWAY,

In other news, I'm still trying to find a design that fits what I'm trying to do on this stupid submarine, which I am questioning that life decision daily. Anyway I am "happy" with the front end and was able to actually build part of it to see where I need to improve as I go. Hull still janky as poo poo so I start to redesign and go for a more modular build. The most recent attempt had studs going in all four directions, as that is how the dome is constructed. Today I tried just Top and Bottom Studs and everything was going great. Until I tried to actually connect the sides that were connected to the top and bottom:

The top and bottom connect to the top and bottom of the Dome assembly but that is the distance between actually having them come together. I am still mucking around with how to make the sections fit together so this MIGHT be a moot problem, but I wanted the Dome to connect to at least a small hull rib before building backwards.

I hate this loving hobby.

Another edit: I loving hate being terrible at this hobby lol

Deus Ex Macklemore fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 30, 2023

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

It's not impossible, 4 minifigs isn't a lot for a set this size and large greebly sets tend to be well under 10 cents/piece when there's no license attached. There have been comparable sets priced that way before, it's a bit surprising that inflation isn't hitting this one harder but it's possible it was selected & designed with an eye for keeping costs down.

Flyinglemur posted:

That looks amazing. edit: I'm not into the modulars so I don't have the same eye you guys do. I thought it looked cool. ANYWAY,

Nah, it's pretty legit. It's a very pleasing, balanced composition, nothing mind-blowing but it's pretty good at what it does.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The original's rock formations looked a lot better.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/65930f7b-ff6e-45bc-a644-61b5896c26b2

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The rocks were alright but the buildings looked so sterile. Not really blown away by the Lego version either though. I feel like it doesn't lean into the strength of wooden buildings (intricate woodwork / log-cabin coziness) enough to make it click.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

trevorreznik posted:

Fantastic value, because the set itself looks kind of dull

It's the kind of set that will be great for MOCs / Rebrickable.

(Also it looks cool).

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love the scale they did this at. It's got that huge set vibe while being a reasonable price and modest size. Lego should do more sets like that.

Captain Duvel
Dec 14, 2009
More Lego Vikings are coming. No complaining permitted.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Need more Old West stuff.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

I love the scale they did this at. It's got that huge set vibe while being a reasonable price and modest size. Lego should do more sets like that.

Yeah, this is part of what I'm talking about the composition being pleasing and balanced. It's got a good mix of squat substantial bits and light spread-out bits, which is something that amateur designers in particular often struggle with (and indeed, the original submission had a denser, more compact layout.) A set that's too dense or too light is going to seem very underwhelming for its piece budget.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Any idea when the red phone box will be available in the ideas line?

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!

Flyinglemur posted:

The top and bottom connect to the top and bottom of the Dome assembly but that is the distance between actually having them come together. I am still mucking around with how to make the sections fit together so this MIGHT be a moot problem, but I wanted the Dome to connect to at least a small hull rib before building backwards.

Could this be an instance where it won't display in stud.io due to the fussiness of the program itself but you might be able to finagle the connection IRL?

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dokapon Findom posted:

Could this be an instance where it won't display in stud.io due to the fussiness of the program itself but you might be able to finagle the connection IRL?

Not sure. I know that when I did the sphere part in Studio, all the panels fit together perfectly, but in real life there is a very small gap. So maybe it will straighten itself out. If not, I'm still going to push ahead with this and see what happens. If there is a tiny gap, then so be it. I keep having to remind myself that I'm not making it to MILSPEC, more like Billionaire Cardboard Sub Spec

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
Any cost/design/schedule overruns only add to the realism.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dokapon Findom posted:

Any cost/design/schedule overruns only add to the realism.

Well I'm already developing a love/hate relationship with it so that tracks as realistic

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Phy posted:

Call that bone sai

:golfclap:

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

It's a tall order to build any IRL object or building to minifig scale, minifigs themselves being a somewhat awkward substitutional representation of an actual human.

I'd still like to do a minifig scale Fallingwater, though. I never design in stud.io because while I can move the pieces around in my mind, my ADHD precludes the patience required to sit down and manually select, rotate, and place the pieces. Plus the idea of making instructions for something you've built- kudos to everyone who can manage that.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
Do you guys use any resources to track sales/deals? I want to pickup the ecto1 in the future so I wanna keep a lookout

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dokapon Findom posted:

It's a tall order to build any IRL object or building to minifig scale, minifigs themselves being a somewhat awkward substitutional representation of an actual human.

I'd still like to do a minifig scale Fallingwater, though. I never design in stud.io because while I can move the pieces around in my mind, my ADHD precludes the patience required to sit down and manually select, rotate, and place the pieces. Plus the idea of making instructions for something you've built- kudos to everyone who can manage that.

Lol I'm not making instructions for this stupid thing. I agree about the difficulty of using studio for a lot of things, but I don't have an unlimited supply of bricks so I'm doing my best.

Believe it or not, the minifig parts on the inside that I've done so far are working out well. And fun. I've enjoyed the limited interior stuff, getting the hull to be rigid and workable is taking up all of my time and patience.

Douche4Sale
May 8, 2003

...and then God said, "Let there be douche!"

Sunk Dunk posted:

Do you guys use any resources to track sales/deals? I want to pickup the ecto1 in the future so I wanna keep a lookout

Slickdeals alerts for the word Lego works surprisingly well.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

Dokapon Findom posted:

Last year's Lion Knights Castle was definitely the gold standard for that for me, in terms of official Lego sets at least. Watching the whole set come together as a place that actually looked like a building where you could move from one place to another was great.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Sunk Dunk posted:

I use idealo to track whatever I fancy and I also follow StoneWars’ telegram channel, they push out deals pretty reliably and give you a % off and best price otherwise so you get a frame of reference.

It’s both German though

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Man I built the Taj Mahal after enjoying the Himeji Castle and uh it looks nice but man building it was a pain in the rear end, with the floor tiles, and a lot of sub builds being the same thing 4 times.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Finished Rivendell and this thing is incredible as a display set, so many colors and shapes

The trees weren't nearly as bad as I had been dreading, and I found the 45 degree roof tile placement strangely hypnotic

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Winner for the Disney Ideas contest announced.
https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/9c8bbdc4-3edb-46ef-be42-8ab173a9a94f/application/95e0c594-b20e-4c68-8cb3-8f7265737b99
Pretty impressive imo.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

They should've just done a legit version of the Princess Star.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
I'll have to see another angle because that is not a good face

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
There's one draw back to learning how to use Stud.io.

Every time I see an image of a set I try to click, hold, and rotate it like it's a 3d model.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You can load the instructions of the set in the Lego app, skip to the end, and rotate to your heart's content.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

:coolfish:
As if anyone who was interested in the Concorde somehow wasn't already sold on the set, RacingBrick's review should easily push you over the edge. A full 2000+ piece set that he describes as something like 'a Speed Champions level of complexity the entire build'. I've seen a few other reviews of the set, but as usual RB knocks it out of the park highlighting the building experience.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SJ4S3NNeLds

BaconCopter fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 2, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Racingbrick is Tiago-25% John Oliver.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
I still can’t get over how huge it is at this price. He says it might show up with a discount at other retailers but man is it hard to wait

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slothrop
Dec 7, 2006

Santa Alpha, Fox One... Gifts Incoming ~~~>===|>

Soiled Meat
I was planning on ordering Concorde anyways, but I'm being made redundant and it launches the minute I finish up at my current job. I know what I'll be doing during my "decompression" week!