Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

They're both major angles built on showing simple relationship dynamics through promo segments and expressed in matches by having broad pantomime and visual callbacks. If you set aside the main story beats, there's two main reasons AEW is doing it better. 1) AEW lets its wrestlers have unique skillsets. MJF is established as a guy who does old fashioned heel work and broad pantomime, so this angle is a natural outgrowth of his skill set. Roman is stuck acting like the stock WWE heel, so he can only bring being a stock WWE heel to this. 2) AEW has been taking another step on this storyline every week. WWE has been spinning its wheels with the Bloodline as often as possible, so the only times these two storylines are really comparable are brief pockets like the Sami feud where they're actually doing things.

I really like the MJF/Adam Cole program, for the record, but it is a similar kind of wrestling storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Angle/Taker is a perfectly fine 4-star match with a cheap finish. I've gone back and watched it a few times because I'll randomly be reminded people think it was the greatest match of 2006, but it never really blows me away.

Angle/HBK is better. Could make the case for it as perfect depending on how much you like Shawn Michaels in-match soap opera bullshit. Dude is in the ankle lock for like 10 minutes before tapping, I mean cmon

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Its fun to remember that the MJF/Cole storyline started on June 25 (the time limit draw) and has about as much progress as the Bloodline, where Roman has been champion and yelling at Jimmy for three years.

Nea
Feb 28, 2014

Funny Little Guy Aficionado.
so, i don't watch WWE. All i really know about Roman is that he's got a faction and he has some civil wars in it sometimes and he's the guy and no one beats him. What is the like, stuff people are comparing MJF/Cole and the Bloodline with, for someone who doesn't watch WWE?

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

everybody talks too much, thats it

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Nea posted:

so, i don't watch WWE. All i really know about Roman is that he's got a faction and he has some civil wars in it sometimes and he's the guy and no one beats him. What is the like, stuff people are comparing MJF/Cole and the Bloodline with, for someone who doesn't watch WWE?

It's very heavily weighted on (imo badly acted, with some exceptions) drama and skits and less in-ring story development. Plus both Bloodline and MJF/Cole are their respective companies' main storylines that revolve around the world title.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
The MJF & Adam Cole storyline is like the Bloodline story in that you're wondering when one guy is going to turn, and every week they build off of the relationship between them and old friends (Roderick Strong and Kevin Owens, respectively). It's different in that the Bloodline is a stable of three (at one point 5) wrestlers while MJF & Adam Cole are just two wrestlers, and also that the Bloodline didn't really have a 'story' until Triple H got the book around Clash at the Castle.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I mean MJF/Cole is also pulling in Roddy and the Kingdom, maybe Aussie Open too so it's not that different in terms of the number of people involved.

TheCool69
Sep 23, 2011
I've been reading Observer Rewinds and Dave is all over Angles dick almost right after he debuts, giving him high parisen, and saying that he and the murdered are two of the all time greatest wrestlers...

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

flashy_mcflash posted:

I mean MJF/Cole is also pulling in Roddy and the Kingdom, maybe Aussie Open too so it's not that different in terms of the number of people involved.

Yeah sounds more like the Elite and Hangman with how it pulled in Dark Order.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

flashy_mcflash posted:

I've seen this before, but what did the issue immediately following this look like? How did he justify walking this back?

He says in that issue that he's going to continue doing shorter newsletters "every few weeks" with short updates and less analysis, and if you have outstanding Observers on your subscription you'll get those until your sub is up. I suspect there was no "walking back," he just kept sending out those newsletters and (not so) gradually added back in more of the analysis and stories until it looked the same as the Observer used to.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
I just watched the Angle vs. Michaels match from WrestleMania 21 and it was pretty good. Not five stars though. Dave was right.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

How many stars did the Angle/Benoit Rumble match get?

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

How many stars did the Angle/Benoit Rumble match get?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
The biggest tell on how Meltzer considered the 2000s isn't his west ratings it's the complete drop off of five star ratings in Japan too. Only one NJPW but more glaringly only two NOAH matches got five stars. That is insane. I know people gnash over Kurt and Danielson getting no fives then but that 2000s NOAH was not getting flowers meant nothing could really impress him.

Kenta Kobashi v Kensuke Sasaki didn't even get 5.

GlenMR
Dec 11, 2005

What is this emotion called "criminal negligence"?
4.75. People were outraged at the time.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

4.75 by far the cattiest rating dave can give

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

I got pretty similar taste to meltz and like, for me that era, its the same problem wwe always had, finishes. You can have the best wrestlers in the world going at it but if the match ends lovely it nocks a little off the joy of the thing, and wwe lives and dies by poo poo finishes.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Aug 30, 2023

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
In ring wrestling just wasn't very good in the mid 2000s on a major league level. WWE put together the greatest roster the world had ever seen and was bad. The other American promotions all died, New Japan was not good, NOAH splitting off meant more talent dilution in Japan and Mexico hasn't gotten the same star rating attention since the 90s.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Is there a podcast that covers the indies, Japan, and Mexico during that era?

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Big problem is, that whole era is like a black hole of available footage. At least easily accessible online. I was recently super hype to see gaia japan started a youtube because what little i had seen previously looked great but was also rare and in awful shape.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
The only match Meltzer should re-rate is Joe/Kobashi because that's at least worth another 1/2 a star. I've been watching wrestling with a friend since Lucha Underground to current AEW showing him all the best matches and to give context to the Joe vs Darby match from earlier this year, I showed him Joe vs Kobashi, and he says it's the best thing he's watched in all those years. And he's normally a guy that loves high flying, acrobatic stuff.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Kobashi/Sasake as previously mentioned and KENTA/Marufuji off the top of my head. Hell he gave no five stars to anything in DragonGate but did to their ROH DragonGate rules match. Like wrestling was in a down period but Danielson won best overall for years in a row and didn't get anything.

I really do think that era was hamstrung by MMA, and especially PRIDE, which really changed perception of what fights should look like. You had PRIDE fighters winning a fair few WON awards during that era and Sakuraba's emtire story was better than anything going in in wrestling.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
He's right.

https://twitter.com/davemeltzerWON/status/1697370117586460726

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
really it's star ratings deflation if you think about it

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer
The star economy is in recession

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Lanza's Dynamite review this week had a bunch of stuff on Orange Cassidy, his current storyline and what his direction should be going forward that I absolutely loved.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

I'll listen to that and the Flagship while I work tomorrow and I can finally have an opinion on if yesterday's Dynamite was good or not

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Another beautiful example of Bryan shouting and begging to Dave to let him finish the point he's making and Dave insisting on going off on a tangent instead on the latest WOR :allears:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

Another beautiful example of Bryan shouting and begging to Dave to let him finish the point he's making and Dave insisting on going off on a tangent instead on the latest WOR :allears:

My favorite part was Dave calling out Bryan just wandering off while Dave was talking.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

1glitch0 posted:

My favorite part was Dave calling out Bryan just wandering off while Dave was talking.

Then repeating exactly what he said even though Bryan could still hear him the first time and had only stepped off camera to blow his nose or something :allears:

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Jerusalem posted:

Then repeating exactly what he said even though Bryan could still hear him the first time and had only stepped off camera to blow his nose or something :allears:

Sometimes I wonder if their relationship is fraying because there seems to be a lot more sniping in like the last 6 months than before. maybe i'm imagining it

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Well obviously nobody online actually knows what their relationship is like, but I've always at least gotten the impression that they still get on great but it's just a simple reality that Bryan's a dad with two little kids now and he's loving tired as a result and it doesn't help that Dave insists on doing the shows late at night. He's (Bryan) also currently at home alone because he's got Covid and so his wife and kids have extended their trip to avoid getting sick too, which probably doesn't help his mood. Whenever they get together in person and do a show it's always great, though they don't seem to have put their London Q&A up, I think they've put it behind some extra paywall or something?

Anyway, all that's largely irrelevant, I don't know them and never will, they're just the two funny dudes who like to talk about wrassling, and they're still giving me that in spades!

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
The green Kane tangent on Deadlock was incredible. It was a legit big rumor back in the day on websites.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

1glitch0 posted:

Sometimes I wonder if their relationship is fraying because there seems to be a lot more sniping in like the last 6 months than before. maybe i'm imagining it

You’re imagining it

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
dave brought his girlfriend to london, would he have done that if his relationship with bryan were still emotionally fulfilling? the answer is clear

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
"A TIGER could hit the ring, but unless he eats you, it's not a DQ."

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I thought the 97 Michaels/Undertaker HIAC match was really good, I think it deserved its five stars

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

NienNunb posted:

I thought the 97 Michaels/Undertaker HIAC match was really good, I think it deserved its five stars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halverine
May 26, 2004

Endsay ookhay
I usually only lurk in here but I feel I need to post about my abject hate for you all.

I used to love the current B&V theme, never skipped it, sang along to it loudly in the car by myself... But then you absolute pricks in here recently mentioned another work by the same artist, Pepper Coyote, which I then checked out and now I can't get the horse cock lyrics out of my head and I cannot listen the B&V theme anymore and you ruined it all for me.

Ruined... it... all.

Edward Mass posted:

"A TIGER could hit the ring, but unless he eats you, it's not a DQ."

I laughed at that whole DQ schpeel about the gun and the tiger but lately the thing that regularly has me laughing until my stomach hurts is Granny's memoir readings.