Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Obviously it's for my kid's sake, I'm not the one playing with the kid.

Christ, forget it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

Brawnfire posted:

Sorry, guess we have different experiences. I'm not stopping going entirely, it's just finding an alternative now and then.

Nearest I can explain is it's like going to the gym and there's always this one guy from work who wants to do every exercise with you, and if you don't want to he gets all weird about it like you hate him, when you just want to work out. It's not that the guy is there, it's that he's ALWAYS there and you gotta put up boundaries. And sometimes that boundary is just picking a different gym/park.

my dude you're projecting so much it would be visible on the moon. just let them play and trust your kid to let you know if there's a problem

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I hadn't realized I was meant to transcribe all my conversations with my child about the matter

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Academician Nomad posted:

Preschool starts for the first time Tuesday, parents coming into town Monday to help with the transition, so of course today I start getting sick. Getting a jump on the start of preschool plague season! Really hoping my kid isn't one of the obvious initial plague-bearers.

Don't worry about it, everyone is going to be unimaginably sick for the next three weeks anyways

School just started up here and I think I slept 16+ hours the last three days while my daughter brings home whatever plague that day

No green snot or anything, just loving zonked

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

kecske posted:

my dude you're projecting so much it would be visible on the moon. just let them play and trust your kid to let you know if there's a problem

Guys & gals, can we please let people make posts that we think are a little bit weird without attacking them for it? Let's assume good intent, this isn't D&D.

Brawnfire: Please keep posting your thoughts. People seem to be looking for something to pounce on right now. This thread's usually more chill than this.

Sorry not sorry for backseat modding.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

I second the hedgehog.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

If you're gonna make weird posts on the Internet, a forum you paid :10bux: to get access to is probably the correct place to do it

There aren't enough sweaty gym dude analogies he's doing us a favor :iiaca:

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of the six year old twins has been coming home from school and immediately doing his homework without being asked. I usually give all of them 5-10 min to blow off steam first.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007

devmd01 posted:

One of the six year old twins has been coming home from school and immediately doing his homework without being asked. I usually give all of them 5-10 min to blow off steam first.

Is 1st grade when kids start getting homework?! Mine just started 1st yesterday

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I don't think I got any real take home homework until like 3rd grade and they were a sheet or two of addition/subtraction

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

extravadanza posted:

Is 1st grade when kids start getting homework?! Mine just started 1st yesterday

It varies wildly on individual teacher / school / district. My daughter is starting to get homework for the first time in 2nd grade. My son is getting homework in Kindergarten (presented as "at home practice with parents" - which I'm not entirely upset about since parents should be involved in their kids' learning). He has a different teacher than she did for Kindergarten even though they're in the same school.

It's not a lot of homework. One or two pages. But it's still schoolwork that is brought home.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Ok I’ll bite. Our shy and high anxiety child had one playmate that she really gelled with. We didn’t want that friend to be a crutch so we intentionally avoided having her as the only play date in order to encourage our daughter to play and make friends with others. I can understand why you might not want your kid playing with the same kid all the time.

Jumpsuit
Jan 1, 2007

I inwardly groan every time we run into my kid's friend outside of school but that's because the dad is completely cooked and small talk with him is agonising

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

Good-Natured Filth posted:

It varies wildly on individual teacher / school / district. My daughter is starting to get homework for the first time in 2nd grade. My son is getting homework in Kindergarten (presented as "at home practice with parents" - which I'm not entirely upset about since parents should be involved in their kids' learning).

I’m ambivalent about homework. My daughter starts what we call official “school” next year, the year she turns 6.

I’d really like for her to get homework because I know she’d eat it up. She also would have good support from me and my wife, who are both academics. But recent research apparently indicates that disadvantaged kids do a lot worse in school the more homework they have. At least, that’s the current meme here, and many schools adopt “no homework” policies.

I can certainly see how working-class families would struggle with homework so I feel like I would be an rear end in a top hat to ask for homework to be given.

My thought is that it somewhat sacrifices the “talented” students for the benefit of the disadvantaged. I just hope they have ways to keep the studious kids busy with something on their level.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I didn't have any homework in primary school at all, it ruled

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

My thought is that it somewhat sacrifices the “talented” students for the benefit of the disadvantaged. I just hope they have ways to keep the studious kids busy with something on their level.

I always thought that homework was extra practice that’s more important for kids who need more exposure to a concept to stay on par with the class. I was a gifted child who resented the hell out of any homework because it was uniformly boring. The trend in some elementary schools to assign ‘read for 30 minutes’ as homework seems far more palatable.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Elementary school homework, especially for Kindergarten is a pain in the rear end and favors households that have more resources. My husband and I are doing well, but we both work. When we pick the kids up from after school care at 5, get home, cook dinner, eat, and its like 6 - 6:30 and the kids have been at school all day and we're tired because we worked all day the last thing we want to do is battle our kids to do their homework.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Our eldest is 11, and she’s still getting relatively simple maths / English homework. Like an hour at most for both things. What I want her to learn, is the discipline to do her homework without us needing to remind her about it.

Come next year she’s going to be doing way more subjects, each with their own homework and I can’t sit with her to do Biology homework for example as I don’t know it (plus I have 3 other kids to be supervising).

lgcty5
Jan 4, 2003

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I’m ambivalent about homework. My daughter starts what we call official “school” next year, the year she turns 6.

I’d really like for her to get homework because I know she’d eat it up. She also would have good support from me and my wife, who are both academics. But recent research apparently indicates that disadvantaged kids do a lot worse in school the more homework they have. At least, that’s the current meme here, and many schools adopt “no homework” policies.

I can certainly see how working-class families would struggle with homework so I feel like I would be an rear end in a top hat to ask for homework to be given.

I definitely agree with no homework in the lower levels. Studies do show it doesn't do much other than penalize working families and create a negative impression of homework and 'doing extra'.

That being said, (and I 100% understand this comes from a place of time/ financial privilege), we do extra work with our kids at home, tailored to their interests. The Kumon series of workbooks are really good pedagogically and also interesting to do, and since our 5 year old can read she can do them on her own. We keep them on a shelf where she can get to them herself so she chooses when/where to work on them. We also have done some Singapore math type stuff. Smithsonian, National Geographic and Usbourne all put out great big science/history/social issues books with lots of high quality pictures and age appropriate explanations for how things work/evolved/exist etc. We have a separate bookcase for those (along with the workbook type stuff) so they can grab them whenever they want. However, I would never force them to do this kind of 'extra stuff' if they didn't want to. I just try to make things available for them to use/pick on their own and see what they gravitate towards, then run with it from there.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Oodles posted:

Our eldest is 11, and she’s still getting relatively simple maths / English homework. Like an hour at most for both things. What I want her to learn, is the discipline to do her homework without us needing to remind her about it.

Come next year she’s going to be doing way more subjects, each with their own homework and I can’t sit with her to do Biology homework for example as I don’t know it (plus I have 3 other kids to be supervising).

My oldest is 10 going on 11 and will be in middle school next year. He's extremly bright and gets the material, but he's AuADHD and when he's out of spoons for the day he's DONE and trying to get him to do his work is a battle that everyone in the house loses. The one thing I appreciate that his teacher does this year is he gets all the homework for the week on Monday and its due on Friday so we can pace it.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Alterian posted:

Elementary school homework, especially for Kindergarten is a pain in the rear end and favors households that have more resources. My husband and I are doing well, but we both work. When we pick the kids up from after school care at 5, get home, cook dinner, eat, and its like 6 - 6:30 and the kids have been at school all day and we're tired because we worked all day the last thing we want to do is battle our kids to do their homework.

Does your after school care not help with the homework/assignments? The one for our school specifically mentions that the kids get a snack and then work time (and hopefully assistance, have to ask about that) on any take home work.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Oh man I forgot it was pajama day at daycare. Immediately when we walked in another kid shouted THAT’S NOT PAJAMAS! My daughter looked at me with such a pained and sorrowful expression… What’s worse is that I hyped it up a couple days ago so she was really excited for it. Ugh.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

If this is something you are concerned about with your kid, there are cheap workbooks available at each grade level if you want your kid to have extra practice tailored to their level. If we are saying they are "talented" or above average or whatever, extra repetitions of stuff they already understand from school isn't really going to do much for them.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011
Just to chime in on homework, my kids are 1st and 3rd. The 1st grader gets one worksheet Monday that he turns in next Monday for "Guidance" class, which is basically social emotional type stuff. I expect him to have maybe one more sheet when the pullout class for advanced learners starts. 3rd grader has a more flexible thing. There's a tally sheet with the multiplication their working on that week, spots to list reading, and 2 attached worksheets. She gets "stars" for how much she does, with parents signing off to verify multiplication practice and reading minutes. She's pretty engaged. The main downside is she's latched on to "read for homework" to just do that. She blew past the weekly minutes by Tuesday. And the after school program at the school has the first hour set aside for homework once you're in 3rd grade.

Blinkz0rz
May 27, 2001

MY CONTEMPT FOR MY OWN EMPLOYEES IS ONLY MATCHED BY MY LOVE FOR TOM BRADY'S SWEATY MAGA BALLS

a friendly penguin posted:

Does after school care not help with the homework/assignments? The one for our school specifically mentions that the kids get a snack and then work time (and hopefully assistance, have to ask about that) on any take home work.

Most after school care costs a decent amount and can be really competitive depending on the size of the school and/or the program.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Koivunen posted:

Oh man I forgot it was pajama day at daycare. Immediately when we walked in another kid shouted THAT’S NOT PAJAMAS! My daughter looked at me with such a pained and sorrowful expression… What’s worse is that I hyped it up a couple days ago so she was really excited for it. Ugh.

Pain shared, is pain halved.

My eldest, who already feels awkward at school, had a dress down day (I.e no uniform) but the guidance was “wear what you’d wear for a garden party”. So she wore a beautiful linen dress, and she was so proud of what what she was wearing.

Gets to school, and everyone else is in jeans and a t-shirt.

She was devastated, and I felt so sorry for her.

That was a massive dad fail.

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
Lil bee's report card this semester:

We both had a good laugh about it because I've told her that until she gets to high school there's no expectation that she does her homework. Both her Dad and I think that kids should get to relax or exercise in the time after school!

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?

marchantia posted:

If this is something you are concerned about with your kid, there are cheap workbooks available at each grade level if you want your kid to have extra practice tailored to their level. If we are saying they are "talented" or above average or whatever, extra repetitions of stuff they already understand from school isn't really going to do much for them.

Yeah, you’re probably right. I’m overthinking this as usual. Thanks!

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

bee posted:

We both had a good laugh about it because I've told her that until she gets to high school there's no expectation that she does her homework. Both her Dad and I think that kids should get to relax or exercise in the time after school!

Just to ask - does your HS district not fast/slow-track its students based on their elementary school / middle school performance? My first HS would put you in different tiers of classes depending on your grades in 6th to 8th-year classes.

We just had the parent-teacher meet and greet for our kid's preschool. There were a few little surprises, but nothing too out of the ordinary I guess? The biggest combo surprise to me was the expectation of packing a spare change of clothes, but paired with the rule that teachers are not permitted to touch the students. Pants up/down for potty, etc etc, has to be entirely child-driven so dress your kid accordingly. This of course begs the question (which I'm going to call them about - I had to keep an eye on the wee bean while my wife went to the meeting): how the heck are you expecting to change the kid without touching them? Or do they expect three-year-olds to be capable of fully changing themselves out of wet clothes into dry ones?

I'm also curious to see how "do not touch the students" holds up the first time kids start fighting, or there's a tantrum from hell. We've (thankfully) come a long way since the 80s and front-of-the-room paddlings in front of the class and all that, but :shrug: at the hands-tied nature of "no touching the kids." Hopefully my wife misunderstood and they meant "no touching the kids in the bathroom" or something a bit more limited.

extravadanza
Oct 19, 2007
Surely that's not a hard rule, just like an expectation that your kid can usually handle going to the bathroom on their own...

e: are teachers not allowed to give hugs? That's literally the first thing my 3yo does at preschool is give his teacher a big hug....

extravadanza fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 1, 2023

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

extravadanza posted:

Surely that's not a hard rule, just like an expectation that your kid can usually handle going to the bathroom on their own...

e: are teachers not allowed to give hugs? That's literally the first thing my 3yo does at preschool is give his teacher a big hug....

We'll find out next week! :haw: My wife seemed to think it was a hard rule, and it matches the rules at other daycares and preschools we looked at before this one. They've all been pretty strong on "your kid has to be 100% capable or gtfo" so we'll see. On the classroom interactions, I have no idea. "No touching kids" feels really overboard to me, so I'm hoping it was a misinterpretation or a misspeak.

I don't know how you can have a no-touch Montessori program. Like, the poo poo you do with kids on a day to day basis practically demands it.

Sundae fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Sep 1, 2023

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?

Sundae posted:

Just to ask - does your HS district not fast/slow-track its students based on their elementary school / middle school performance? My first HS would put you in different tiers of classes depending on your grades in 6th to 8th-year classes.

When I went to high school you were placed in an advanced class for maths/english if you did well academically in primary school. Here in Australia high school starts in year 7, I'm not sure what the rules are today but I'd be surprised if there wasn't some kind of prior performance based grading. I doubt that homework completion would factor into this though.

Maybe I'd be more concerned about having her do her homework if she was struggling at school but she's never had issues with learning, and she churns through books above her age reading grade every night so imo that'll do.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Blinkz0rz posted:

Most after school care costs a decent amount and can be really competitive depending on the size of the school and/or the program.

I was trying to respond specifically to the part of the post where they mentioned that their kid did have after school care. Obviously after school care in general doesn't help the lack of resources portion of the concern. Sorry, should've been more precise.

a friendly penguin fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 1, 2023

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The before and after care is run through the school which is super conveniant and incredibly cheap. I think they have the option to work on homework, but one of the reasons we have them in it is so they have the ability to socialize with kids their own age. There aren't a lot of kids in our neighborhood and the one that's next door is a super lovely family that I don't want them talking to. Kids need breaks. They sat in school from 8:30 - 4. I wouldn't fault an adult for not wanting to finish a full day of work and immediately sit down and do more work. Having the time to run around on the playground and socialize is just as important.

Edit: I know this because it reminded me that I have to pay the bill today but the hourly rate per kid for before and after care is $2.50 an hour.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

How do you deal with a 3 year old that just won't give you a moments peace when you need to do stuff around the house?

Like I walked you back from school. I did some colouring with you. I've given you some of my time. But I have other things in my life I need to do and can't cope with you following me from room to room going "please please please play with me".

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I can tell you that giving them a younger sibling doesn't work. Then there are two of them pestering you to be their clown to entertain them.

boquiabierta
May 27, 2010

"I will throw my best friend an abortion party if she wants one"
My 9-month-old has never been a good sleeper but lately it's just been out of control. Last night he was up at 9, 11:30, 12:30, 1:45, 4:30, and 7. He doesn't take long to get back to sleep but the constant wake-ups are torture. Any advice?

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

No, if I did I’d be a millionaire.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

bee posted:

Lil bee's report card this semester:

Listen, research has shown that participation in the Easter Hat Parade correlates DIRECTLY with having a good time in your 30s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

jabby posted:

How do you deal with a 3 year old that just won't give you a moments peace when you need to do stuff around the house?

Like I walked you back from school. I did some colouring with you. I've given you some of my time. But I have other things in my life I need to do and can't cope with you following me from room to room going "please please please play with me".

It's simple: you don't get anything done unless you pay someone to do it or have someone else watch the kid in a different location.

And yes, it sucks rear end.