Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Gotta agree with whoever said that Kuro looks like Robbie Rotten. It's hilariously distracting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
Finished the show, pretty drat incredible.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Lol I think they changed Tumblr Buggy because people complained

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Also finished and it was pretty great. I liked or didn’t mind most of the changes, except Garp but mostly because I was really really looking forward to a wacky Garp shocking Koby when he picks his nose or whatever. This is a much more serious Garp but it works well. The bit with Zeff and the steak was hilarious though.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

RuBisCO posted:

Ep 5 I kinda started freaking out when Garp threw the cannonball because it's so much earlier than we could have ever expected

At the beginning of that episode (5), I had JUST told my partner that it's a shame that Garp wasn't throwing cannonballs himself, then he shotputs one with intensely-palpable force and the whole crew started getting snarky with each other. It went from a really good show to Actual One Piece in that moment, for me.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Perfection :allears:

It's probably too much to dream that the show will survive long enough to get to Demaro Black 'n' Crew but I can live in hope :allears:

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Does OPLA have the most important Orange Town character, Chouchou?

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here
Okay, I'm up to episode 7 and
Belemere could have easily survived if she told Arlong and friends that the three plates of food on the table food were for them. Arlong's plate being biggest, of course. Like, totally dodge the whole situation. But I'm not scared for my life or anything, so there's that. I'm just sayin'.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

GodFish posted:

Technically, yes!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

GodFish posted:

Yes but no

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

GodFish posted:

There is a very good boy who shows up, but you don't have to worry about crying. Just enjoy a very cute pup running around for a bit.

Bluemillion posted:

Okay, I'm up to episode 7 and
Belemere could have easily survived if she told Arlong and friends that the three plates of food on the table food were for them. Arlong's plate being biggest, of course. Like, totally dodge the whole situation. But I'm not scared for my life or anything, so there's that. I'm just sayin'.

What? That's the whole point of that scene. Belemere would rather die than deny her family for even a second. The live action didn't tie it together with Nami throwing her fit as well as the other adaptations, but it's still the entire point. The only bad part of the live action at that part is that she didn't get to be a total badass who had the drop on Arlong and his crew.

Now changing it to Nami having actually fooled Nojiko and the rest of the village, that was a bad change.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Sep 1, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The One Piece is real!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Episode 5: "I do like that hat" :sickos:

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Omg definitely-not-Kuro just did the ”adjusting glasses with palm” thing and now I am actually for real hype?? Is this show actually good??

EDIT: Holy gently caress sheep guy is actually loving dead??? This ROCKS!!

Bisse fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 1, 2023

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Spoilers up to Episode 4: I can't believe they managed to salvage not only the Syrup Village arc but also the Nyaban Brothers. They are, without a doubt, the worst-written part of the entire original manga; it is tremendously obvious that Oda pulled them out of his rear end because the arc didn't have enough fights. I'd always assumed the live action would just cut them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

So wait the show is good and slam posting it was garbage based on production stills was just overreacting? Who would have guessed!?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

New adtrw theme imo

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Len posted:

So wait the show is good and slam posting it was garbage based on production stills was just overreacting? Who would have guessed!?
In fairness it was preceded by an absolutely awful adaptation of Cowboy Bebop by the same studio

Absolutely loving the show so far and found myself getting really emotional at the Coby/Luffy interaction at the end of episode 1. Inaki is just so loving good bro

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Len posted:

Death Note and Cowboy Bebop were both dogshit adaptations.

Their track record wasn't great.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI

Len posted:

Me. I guessed. I always said it would be good. Thank you.

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013
I never would have dared to dream the series would have this level of quality. I'm genuinely astonished.

Tolth
Mar 16, 2008

PÄDOPHILIE MACHT FREI
Particularly cool detail in Ep 1: The fight between Zoro and that Mr 7 is actually canon, and is based on a throwaway comment in the volume 36 SBS where someone asked Oda what the original Mr 7 looked like when he went to recruit Zoro.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
A man's dreams [for the Live Action One Piece] never die!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Len posted:

Not me, I thought it looked like it was going to be terrible! Never been so glad to be wrong!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Rohan Kishibe posted:

A man's dreams [for the Live Action One Piece] never die!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Ok, that was surprisingly good in most areas (unlike Bebop you can tell at least some people involved actually gave a drat about the source material). Hopefully Netflix will actually allow this to continue past a single season for once

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I've only seen one episode so far but clearly so many people making it read the gently caress out of One Piece. The rubber physics look good too. I'm not sure if I actually like, enjoy it but so many of the choices are really impressive.

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
If they make more seasons, Buggy needs to appear more.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

IceBorg posted:

If they make more seasons, Buggy needs to appear more.

They should do a Chibi Buggy arc where he's just a puppet to prep for Muppet Chopper.

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

I'm only one episode in, but I have to say that the guy playing Luffy is doing a shockingly good job of nailing Luffy's very specific, very weird vibe.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
it's nice to see inaki godoy's performance getting so much adulation after the bebop take on ed crashed and burned. guess it really does come down to good direction

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Did I miss it (I'm on episode 4) or do they never actually say Helmeppo's name in the live action? I've only heard them refer to him as "my son" and "his son," etc.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i watched the first two episodes and i wouldn't say it's amazing (but neither is very early one piece, to be fair) but it's close to as good as a live action adaptation could ever realistically be, which is a fair bit better than i was expecting. most of the changes make sense, most of the performances are decent, it captures the feeling of the original well enough. this really makes it all the more bizarre that they hosed up bebop so badly, which if anything should have been easier to adapt.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Zoro’s actor is also doing a smashingly good job of being a too serious person in a crew of looney tunes. I’ve laughed multiple times at his annoyed comments. Also his total 100% seriousness when putting the sword in his mouth was great.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The guy playing Zoro is so good, equally as good as Luffy, and better than Sanji naturally

vvv :perfect: vvv

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 13:20 on Sep 1, 2023

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

I've been enjoying all the little references they've been putting in like Zoro using Beast of Baldimore brand matches,

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Oxxidation posted:

it's nice to see inaki godoy's performance getting so much adulation after the bebop take on ed crashed and burned. guess it really does come down to good direction

Ed was in like a minute of the show and was every bit as irritating as they were in the anime though