Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Fecha posted:

I’m so bummed Bellemere didn’t get the drop on Arlong. Maybe him biting the shotgun looked too dumb

Yeah that was such a cool loving moment and I was sad we didn't get a live action version of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Desumaytah posted:

Hey I'll probably watch the live action One Piece at some point, but I just got done watching Film Red (My first OP film) and would like to thank everyone involved in production and localization for making me cry and then stop crying and then cry again at least four times in the last fifteen minutes or so. I hate you. I love you.

Anyway people say Oda's a crybaby for, like, a decade and change ago, in some interview that I can't source, claiming he won't draw characters crying if he isn't also crying but I loving get it.

Film Red rules. I love Uta so much.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Oh also just wanna give a :kiss: to the fact they included a "news around the world" section in the last episode of the live show showing various characters reacting to the latest :bignews: about Luffy. I always love it when they do that in the manga. Plus they did the eternal anime trope of an epilogue showing an antagonist for next season becoming aware of/committed to destroying the hero :allears:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

anime was right posted:

we've been eating so good this week. its unfair

chapter?.jpg

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Anime popped off again. God, I love Luffy so much as this force of freedom. Lost it at the TO BE CONTINUED, what timing

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

MorningMoon posted:

Anime popped off again. God, I love Luffy so much as this force of freedom. Lost it at the TO BE CONTINUED, what timing

Yeah loved it and AHHHHHH THE TO BE CONTINUED! NOOOO!!!! :xd:

They have a new opening too which I thought was a little weird given they've only got, even accounting for the anime padding, maybe a dozen episodes at most left in Wano? Unless they're just going to update the images but keep the song.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Gyges posted:

Like, the next closest to a family is Chopper, followed by freaking "I have a family?" Luffy. Everyone else is either alone or on the run from their terrible family

Franky has the Franky Family and even if he didn't he has Iceberg and Kokoro (also Chimney and Gonbe)

Also Brook has Laboon, yes it counts.

e:

Frobin is so real.

Scholtz fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 3, 2023

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

I had to stop at syrup village. I just didnt like the changes. Come on, Garp should be beating the poo poo out of Coby, not playing Go with him. Luffy just doesnt have charisma, and the show never sold me on his strength at all. He escapes Buggys trap by slipping out of the bonds? He should have snapped the ropes! For as much work as they put into the background details, little things like this just felt off all over the show. Why couldnt Zoro have a quick sword fight against Cabaji instead of just knocking him out? Why does Arlong need a chart to Reverse Mountain, didnt he fuckin come from there? I hated the shade of purple they used for Kuinas hair. Why doesnt Usopp have Steve Martins nose from Moonstruck? The entire thing was just like, uncanny valley One Piece.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021
Finished the live action version last night. I think I liked this version of Syrup Village more than the original, but I couldn't help missing Jango. Is he basically superfluous to the plot? Sure, but he's just such a dumb bit that I would have loved to see again. Michael Jackson impersonator slash hypnotist who also hypnotizes himself half the time sets the weirdo curve early.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I thought the scene with Nami and Kaya was nice at least (I forget, did those two ever interact much in the original?)

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Larryb posted:

I thought the scene with Nami and Kaya was nice at least (I forget, did those two ever interact much in the original?)

I don't think they said one word to each other in the manga.

With how good this seems to be doing I'll be surprised if it doesn't get another season at this point. And if the quality keeps up I'm guessing about 4 or 5 seasons total. I still don't see Netflix keeping it around for as long as it would need to finish the whole story.

Imagine if the show was cancelled after the Strawhats are defeated by Kuma.

Viridiant fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 3, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I do like that in the barrel scene, Sanji is the only one with a straight leg. Luffy could have done it too, but it's not something he'd do off hand.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Viridiant posted:

With how good this seems to be doing I'll be surprised if it doesn't get another season at this point. And if the quality keeps up I'm guessing about 4 or 5 seasons total. I still don't see Netflix keeping it around for as long as it would need to finish the whole story.

The nice thing about One Piece being broken into arcs the way that it is, every arc finale makes a perfectly decent series finale too. If this one ended here, it’s a nice little “and then they went off to further adventures” button. Ditto if it ended with sailing off from Alabasta for season 2 or winning the Davy Back fight for season 3.

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Nikumatic posted:

The nice thing about One Piece being broken into arcs the way that it is, every arc finale makes a perfectly decent series finale too. If this one ended here, it’s a nice little “and then they went off to further adventures” button. Ditto if it ended with sailing off from Alabasta for season 2 or winning the Davy Back fight for season 3.

The Davy Back fight is part of the CP9 Saga, so it'd be the season 4 opener rather than the season 3 ending.

But yeah, I agree otherwise.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Viridiant posted:

Was thinking about this, and it probably is worth considering that Oda is rich rich. He's seems invested emotionally in this enough that I'd be surprised if he wasn't also willing to financially invest as well, making more seasons likelier.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Viridiant posted:

*points at writer's/actors strike*

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Was thinking about this, and it probably is worth considering that Oda is rich rich. He's seems invested emotionally in this enough that I'd be surprised if he wasn't also willing to financially invest as well, making more seasons likelier.
It's a Netflix series though, I don't recall many Netflix series being consistent until it either falls off because of new staff or just gets canceled. Would be neat if this became Game of Thrones done right though

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Supremezero posted:

*points at writer's/actors strike*

Yeah that could kill it but I hope it doesn't.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Scrap Dragon posted:

The Davy Back fight is part of the CP9 Saga, so it'd be the season 4 opener rather than the season 3 ending.

But yeah, I agree otherwise.

No I’m sorry, Foxy is obviously the big bad villain of the Skypeia arc.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Had fun with the live action, thought it was like a 7/10. A lot of stuff to nitpick and a lot of stuff exceeding my expectations.

Episode 1 was great. 2 was a little aimless but saved by the clown. Syrup Village was boring the manga and it was boring here too. Baratie was real good overall. Arlong Park was pretty decent, the fishman-supremacy stuff felt weird to me in the live action tbh, mostly because we don't see much of fishmen outside the Arlong crew to contextualize (the greeter at Baratie but like he's literally just a regular dude). Obviously having read the manga I can view it differently but viewing the show as its own thing it didn't work for me.

Thought most of the prominent actors were great. Casting was one of the show's biggest successes I'd say. Usopp and Nami stood out above the rest for me. On the other hand, I don't feel like we saw enough of Sanji to be fully on board, but no complaints so far. I liked Luffy, definitely felt the most changed from the original but I don't think that is a bad thing.

Really interested in seeing how a S2 will be adapted. I hope it covers Alabasta, but it might need 10 episodes rather than 8 to cover that much ground. Struggle to see a good way to do a S2 that doesn't cover Alabasta though, just not enough stuff going on before it.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
There's still fat to be cut in Alabasta. Like, a significant chunk of Drum Island is spinning it's wheels to get Wapol back into position to be Bazooka'd. Mr. 5 and Miss Valentine don't need to show up at Little Garden, and the only important points there are Nami getting infected, Crocodile thinking they're dead, and meeting the giant bros.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
There's also the whole "Arabasta animal kingdom" subplot that can be turned into a quick montage or outright cut. You could also have Luffy fight Crocodile twice instead of three times.

Edit: OK, the stuff with the Ku Fu Dugongs was really one chapter rather than a full subplot; what I meant is that the travel across the desert and so forth can be compressed considerably.

Silver2195 fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Sep 3, 2023

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I like they let Nami go HAM with her staff as opposed to the comic.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Finished the last episode of LA.

Netflix did a good job. OPLA was made with thought, care and love. Some of the changes were genuinely good. I liked having syrup village be a shipbuilding village, and Usopp working there is a good setup to his role as defacto ship carpenter on the Merry. I liked following Coby and Helmeppo around. Nami outing Luffy as a devil fruit user worked, and so did Buggy briefly trying to recruit Luffy.

A lot of the big emotional moments end up falling pretty flat, or just not happening in some cases. Usopp comes off a lot less of a coward throughout, and his moment of playing dead is treated as a tactical thing instead of running away. Coco village not realizing Nami's sacrifice just kills me. The entire Buggy art got stripped down to the essentials and Boodle, Mohji and the dog exist as cameos in favor of an increased focus on Buggy (good) and setting up Cabaji as a rival for Zoro (?).

One scene that did work for me was Zoro's fight with Mihawk. Buggy and Mihawk might be the two best actors for their roles, so far.

The costuming, wirework and cgi can be pretty cheesy but they didn't take me out of the experience. It's a fun, cheesy 7/10 tv show and that's a fine place to be.

They cut Hachi and I understand why but that does make me worried about the rest of the show. The East Blue is the least weird part of the world.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I liked the work they put into tying the adventure-per-island story into a more connected whole, and overall the season was a pretty fun watch.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Dawgstar posted:

I like they let Nami go HAM with her staff as opposed to the comic.
I think they should go full kung-fu movie and have her extremely good at using her staff but just helplessly outmatched by everyone else once they hit the grand line to drive the point home that even though Nami was extremely competent on her own, the grand line is so much bigger of a deal. At the same time, make Usopp become Batman much quicker because he didn't have enough time to shine in Season 1. I'm still fine with the monster trio, especially since Zoro's introduction was Just casually cutting someone in half which is almost as badass as his "Nothing Happened" panel

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Tampa Bae posted:

I think they should go full kung-fu movie and have her extremely good at using her staff but just helplessly outmatched by everyone else once they hit the grand line to drive the point home that even though Nami was extremely competent on her own, the grand line is so much bigger of a deal. At the same time, make Usopp become Batman much quicker because he didn't have enough time to shine in Season 1. I'm still fine with the monster trio, especially since Zoro's introduction was Just casually cutting someone in half which is almost as badass as his "Nothing Happened" panel

I know Nami gets her power up with the Clima-Tact but it's one of those things that makes me cringe to think of at the cost of making it look good.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

wait how is there a controversy about this

like how do you question this

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Jerusalem posted:

Yeah that was such a cool loving moment and I was sad we didn't get a live action version of it.

yeah

they didn't even need to bite the bullet, he's bulletproof!

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

Oda drew all of the Warlords (and Straw Hats, and Worst Generation) in gender-swapped forms for various SBS segments

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Potato Salad posted:

This is from when Oda drew the warlords gender-swapped:

That lady in the live action shot looks pretty close, just lacking the jacket, really (and the scar, but I think he got that from Whitebeard, which would've been later).

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Oda drew all of the Warlords (and Straw Hats, and Worst Generation) in gender-swapped forms for various SBS segments

Ah makes sense

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Masccock kinda looks like shanks

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I wonder if they'll build up the other Supernovas earlier in the Grand Line in the LA. Oda thought of them fairly late in the game, I can see him wanting to give them a bit more time earlier on.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Viridiant posted:

I wonder if they'll build up the other Supernovas earlier in the Grand Line in the LA. Oda thought of them fairly late in the game, I can see him wanting to give them a bit more time earlier on.
Cavendish had a wanted poster at a screening so the people in charge at the moment really are taking the entire series into account and not just trying to money-grab for a season or two. Doesn't guarantee the same people will be in charge 5 years from now, but the people in charge right now really are trying.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

They cut Hachi and I understand why but that does make me worried about the rest of the show. The East Blue is the least weird part of the world.

OPLA: Hachi is actually the fishman with the spiky hair playing cards with Nami. I missed this and had to look it up. He's there, but he's heavily redesigned and doesn't seem to be an octopus fishman (at least, not overtly).

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Are there any good examples of people learning/strengthening haki but not by fighting? It'd be cool to see someone who has great observation haki but mainly through diplomacy or something.

Aisa from Skypeia, I guess, but that was when it was called Mantra.

Also apparently Otohime had/Shirahoshi has it

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

DizzyBum posted:

OPLA: Hachi is actually the fishman with the spiky hair playing cards with Nami. I missed this and had to look it up. He's there, but he's heavily redesigned and doesn't seem to be an octopus fishman (at least, not overtly).

further OPLA I wonder if it was really just a fishman budget issue, I didn't bother to scour the crowd scenes or anything but all of them seemed to be the basic humanoid two arms and two legs template.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DizzyBum posted:

that guy's an anime only fishman though, they look identical