Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

cirus posted:

Bought a bunch of TLRY rocketing on HHS letter of marijuana descheduling

I was wondering why cannabis stocks were spiking today!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Fidelity is completely down again, apparently for the third time this month lol.

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Shear Modulus posted:

Fidelity is completely down again, apparently for the third time this month lol.
Looks like it's back now for me, but it was down for the last hour of the market being open today. Glad I wasn't holding any time sensitive positions. The 0DTE options crowd must be very unhappy.

Not good that this has happened repeatedly without any real explanation.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Baddog posted:

Saw agronox's neglected hall of fame underneath the OP. Christ, I should be the change I want to see and post some trades.

Selling puts isn't gonna make anyone a wheelbarrow of money, but here's what I threw down today.

Don't have the highest conviction on this trade (betting that the pop from the contact news won't completely fade in the next 6 weeks). But archer does have an actually fly-able evtol, and did get more money from the air force today to continue developing it. Joby seems farther along, but archer is still less than a third of their market cap even after the pop today. The air force will probably continue keeping 2 suppliers viable. And I think that at least one of the majors will probably end up buying one or both of these companies, instead of building their own. So not a bad company to be short puts on.

Out of this trade today when it hit a nickel/contract, relatively low drama. Although there was a short seller report in there which dropped the price to ~5.7, before it rebounded.

630 bucks isn't a home run or anything, but it's a documented win!

Talking more about this, if held all the way to expiration it was a $730 return on a *max* loss of $10K over a month (20 contracts * 100 shares in a contract * $5 a share), after the stock popped well above 5 on some fundamental-altering news. The bet is that the *actual* floor in 6 weeks, even if very bad macro news came out, was around 3, not 0. So more like 730 against ~4K loss. I'm just using rough figures here, not counting that we got paid that 730 up front so actual loss @3 would be less than 4K. But ballpark figures are ~18% return on (estimated) capital at risk over 6 weeks to hold all the way to expiration. Realized ~16% in 4 weeks when I closed it today.

(someone tell me if there is an attachment on this post as well. To me it seemed as if the SA attachment didn't load, but there is an option for me to delete it? weird).

Baddog fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Aug 31, 2023

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Subvisual Haze posted:

Looks like it's back now for me, but it was down for the last hour of the market being open today. Glad I wasn't holding any time sensitive positions. The 0DTE options crowd must be very unhappy.

Not good that this has happened repeatedly without any real explanation.

As an aside, this is one of the reasons we suggest people use full service brokers: if you can't get onto their site, they generally have a phone number you can call to execute trades. For an exorbitant fee, of course, and I bet when the site's down that number gets very busy... but if you have a ton of money on the line on zero day to expiration options you might be happy to pay a hundred bucks to execute a trade by phone.

Famously, mobile app only brokerage Robin Hood had no such trade desk. When the app is down, there's just no way to trade.

e. Fidelity is focused on retirement plans but they do offer some kind of phone service for traders, based on a little searching.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Aug 31, 2023

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.
Unfortunately in that kind of scenario a whole lot of people will be trying to enter the narrow gate all at once.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I got a notification that I would be locked out of my trade account for a few days in early September while my account is transferred to Morgan Stanley or whatever the acquisition is. Seems bad, but I don't have any open active trades to really worry about I guess.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

MetaJew posted:

I got a notification that I would be locked out of my trade account for a few days in early September while my account is transferred to Morgan Stanley or whatever the acquisition is. Seems bad, but I don't have any open active trades to really worry about I guess.

I'm with you. Should just be the long weekend here, but I'm worried since it seems like E-Trade is having all sorts of "technical issues" as well.

Gonna download a snapshot of all my positions tonight or tomorrow before close.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I honestly don't know where else to post this but I think the 1982 Chuck E. Cheese annual report is worth a read: https://www.showbizpizza.com/info/documents/ptt/ptt_annualreport1982kids.pdf

drk
Jan 16, 2005

bollig posted:

I honestly don't know where else to post this but I think the 1982 Chuck E. Cheese annual report is worth a read: https://www.showbizpizza.com/info/documents/ptt/ptt_annualreport1982kids.pdf

For context, this annual report is showing the huge growth they had from 1981->1982 and talking up how great 1983 was going to be.

1983 was... not great, and they were bankrupt in 1984.

Also, more annual reports should have profit monsters with overflowing baskets of cash

cirus
Apr 5, 2011

drk posted:

For context, this annual report is showing the huge growth they had from 1981->1982 and talking up how great 1983 was going to be.

Also, more annual reports should have profit monsters with overflowing baskets of cash

I wish an image could be a thread title

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

drk posted:

the 1982 Chuck E. Cheese annual report is worth a read

is still a hell of a thread title

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Anyone considering speculating on govt bonds (whether futures, ETFs, etc.) after labor day given that Congress will be back and we're gonna have a month of shutdown talk? We also have a very easy path forward on base effects for core PCE (slightly less so for CPI). The counter-argument is that Treasury is issuing like no tomorrow and we don't get new marketable borrowing estimates from them until October (I think?).

Among different commentators / investors / etc., super wide divergence of opinions on Treasury yields right now. Of course, very hard to predict, but probably the most interesting macro issue to ponder.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

MetaJew posted:

Got 3 hours to get a snapshot of your etrade accounts and download any statements you might want to use as a reference.

I'd be amazed if they dropped actual $$'s on the floor, most of the next 3 days should be running a ton of auditing scripts on the db and letting testers bang on everything to be sure it is all ok.

But they also seem to be doing a really complex migration and jamming everything into a completely different backend, and the team could be complete dumbasses. Hard to tell!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
I like $YETI, but investing in a stock so focused on such a small market (despite impressive earnings) seems narrow-minded. Is it worth considering, especially given its previous ATH is almost double the current price?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeti is a lifestyle brand now, like Jeep

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Are people buying extremely expensive coolers "in this economy"?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I went to my cousin's place last year they live kind of at the ragged edge of where the Metro area meets the ranch land. They're generally cool people, progressive even by their local standards. Over the course of the weekend I think they showed me no fewer than five YETI devices, including an insulated hard skin for their tall boy, and an insulated bag (man beer purse) on top of the regular iconic cooler. Probably had a YETI branded hat too

Kind of reminds me of a goon I know that wears exclusively Columbia branded hats and... I forget the brand of bags but he always brings like four of them

Baddog
May 12, 2001
Aren't they getting caught up to by all sorts of other knockoff brands now? (I dunno how you can "knockoff" a cooler, but uhh I guess just make it nice enough to not be disposable)

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yes, they absolutely do not have a technology moat. But they're The Brand of pricey coolers that everyone knows now.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

I don't know anything about their business fundamentals but my sense is Yeti has a very strong reputation of being a) extremely well made gear with good warranties, and b) significantly more expensive than most direct competitors. I don't think they're quite a Gucci of camping brand, but maybe on the level of... Whole Foods? The BWM thread cheapskates will scoff about how there are way cheaper coolers etc out there but the people who buy their stuff generally feel like "I can afford it and know it will work well, be durable, and easily replaced for free if there's any kind of defect." The other big segment is rich dweebs who want to buy "what pros buy" because it's "the best" even though they do one car camping trip every three years at a RV camp site 400 feet from the highway.

Edit: the company value is almost entirely in the brand though, and maybe some in higher manufacturing standards and competency. There isn't any super duper patented magic cooler tech afaik.

mrmcd fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Sep 1, 2023

drk
Jan 16, 2005

Red posted:

I like $YETI, but investing in a stock so focused on such a small market (despite impressive earnings) seems narrow-minded. Is it worth considering, especially given its previous ATH is almost double the current price?

The impressive earnings are their single digit profit margin?

Also, the previous ATH was during the pandemic era everything sales boom where people bought things like expensive coolers and NFTs

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

MetaJew posted:

The premium consumer remains healthy, friend.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah the Chevy to their Ford is RTIC

Dunno why their profit margins are so low. Maybe executive pay? Like $400 for a cooler that costs $50 in materials max, non perishable item

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Yeah the Chevy to their Ford is RTIC

Dunno why their profit margins are so low. Maybe executive pay? Like $400 for a cooler that costs $50 in materials max, non perishable item

I think they're headquartered in Austin, just down the street from AMD's unofficial headquarters.

Austin real estate/rent is expensive, and I'm sure all the execs need boats and summer/winter homes because the weather in Austin has been awful and the lakes are too low to go boating.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the fraction of their total budget spent on marketing is comparable to a motion picture studio or a tobacco company in the 80s

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Yeah, YETI seems to do marketing in the same realm as Red Bull and Tito's. And while I'm sure their margins are insane, they aren't energy drink/alcohol insane.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal

MetaJew posted:

Can’t afford electricity so yes

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

bollig posted:

Why aren’t all annual reports like this, the closest I’ve ever got is old Disney report

*edit*
Yeti does make the second best coffee mug I’ve ever owned and the magnet lid opening is a genius way to get the mug clean.

sbaldrick fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Sep 3, 2023

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Elephanthead posted:

Can’t afford electricity so yes

Fair, I could've used one in Austin in 2021 and 2023 when we lost power for several days and had to throw out our fridge and freezer contents.

Actually 2021 wasn't so bad because it was so loving cold outside we just put the stuff we really wanted to save into the snow.

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

sbaldrick posted:

Why aren’t all annual reports like this, the closest I’ve ever got is old Disney report

They used to be a much bigger deal. Before the internet and EDGAR, the annual report, which they'd physically mail to you, was one of the only times you'd actually hear directly from the company. As a result some of them were really well done and slickly presented.

Whereas now you can find investor presentations, earnings calls, and every SEC filing in seconds, so the relative importance of an annual report is way, way down (and besides, many people are [rightfully] indexing anyway and don't care).

Last year, I contacted the IR department of a company I was interested in, asking for them to send me their annual report, because sometimes its just easier to read and highlight things in hard copy. They directed me to just print their 10-K from EDGAR.

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

Last year, I contacted the IR department of a company I was interested in, asking for them to send me their annual report, because sometimes its just easier to read and highlight things in hard copy. They directed me to just print their 10-K from EDGAR.

Did their response affect your opinion of the company?

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

pmchem posted:

Did their response affect your opinion of the company?

It annoyed me. But I still bought the stock. (It was one of the met companies)

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I think Exxon was the last paper report I got mailed.

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.

sbaldrick posted:

*edit*
Yeti does make the second best coffee mug I’ve ever owned and the magnet lid opening is a genius way to get the mug clean.

More annual reports should have color by numbers. lmao at the thread title

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde
My employer mailed it to us for awhile because of our ESOP but that stopped at some point. I was on the cover one year!

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

drk posted:

Also, the previous ATH was during the pandemic era everything sales boom where people bought things like expensive coolers and NFTs

lol yea literally when I bought my YETI cooler it was because it was a global pandemic and overseas vacations were cancelled and all I could do was drive around and solo camp and so I bought a nice $400 cooler as a gift to myself.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018

TreeOcto posted:

If you had an extremely strong suspicion that nuclear stocks were going to pop in a short window where would you put your chips

Congrats if you invested in any uranium stocks.

TreeOcto
Feb 23, 2023

Gonna pop like crazy EOY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Artonos posted:

Congrats if you invested in any uranium stocks.

Did something happen?