Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Honestly, I'm just worried it's going to be another "site takes a poo poo" situation, even though that wasn't the case with the Mars Rover.

Between a $20 VIP discount I can cash in and a $10 AMEX promo I can get $30 off Concorde so it's a no-brainer for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Much like the Titanic, the Concord doesn't have much appeal for me owning it, but drat I want to build it. I wouldn't have expected a set like that to be such a creative and diverse build.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The concorde looks cool, but I have no where to put it. I can handle the Saturn V being a meter long, because it's narrow and just sits on my dresser. I have no where to put a meter long plane with what looks like half a meter of wing span.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I think the build looks cool and fun. But the finished product doesn't inspire me. And I have no place to put it. I'm still trying to figure out where to put the castle so I can finally build it.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I welcome Din Djarin and Grogu to my prestigious line up of Star Wars characters on my work desk including Luke Skywalker, Boba Fett, and AT-AT Pilot #2

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
That ATAT is rad

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
van

1969 Dodge A100, which took a while to finally get together and photographed. Roof is easily removable. Fits a driver + a bunch of musical equipment comfortably! Also, the pit smoker, which kind of steals the show.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Great work, as always

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Excellente!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Got my points redeemed and I’m ready to get my half-off concorde that I guess I’m gonna have to build an addition on my house for.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Dogen posted:

Got my points redeemed and I’m ready to get my half-off concorde that I guess I’m gonna have to build a hanger next to my house for.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dogen posted:

Got my points redeemed and I’m ready to get my half-off concorde that I guess I’m gonna have to build an addition on my house for.

If you have an AMEX with AMEX Offers attached, be sure to check those since there's a $10 off $50 offer for Lego I was able to add to mine. Unfortunately I only have enough points for a $20 discount. :smith:

EDIT: Concorde ordered.

Again, it's my hope that if it sells extraordinarily well, it'll inaugurate a series of high-quality aviation models. I know it's a pipe dream, but an official Lego Ideas model of "Balls 8" in the NASA livery with or without an X-15 on the underwing pylon would be AMAZING.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Sep 4, 2023

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Maybe some X planes, feels like the X-1 would be an easy sell.

Site’s pretty stable I wonder if it’s because it’s the only thing out tonight, site improvements, or (hopefully not) low consumer interest. Reviewers certainly are excited about it.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Low consumer interest.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
I had to explain what the Concorde was to my late 40's friend who has spent about $20k on Lego since the start of COVID. He will probably buy the set but he literally had no idea about the real life Concorde that flew from the year he was born until 2003.

He saw my Porsche GT3 RS when visiting my house and then bought almost everything they've had out in the $80-$800 range since 2020 and he'd never even had a childhood set until then.

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 07:14 on Sep 4, 2023

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

"Explain what a Concorde is" with you so far, weird looking plane

"Friend in their late 40s" ...this dude living under a rock?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Heck, I remember when the crash made the news and I’m not even 40

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
34 here, knew about the plane, knew about the DROOP SNOOT, knew about the crash. Not an aviation guy at all. It's one of, like, maybe 3 planes I know by name.

Also, I still have no interest in (or room for) the Concorde model itself, but I am utterly blown away into a billion pieces by the tech used in its build. Just outstanding.

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
The Concorde is hands down the coolest civilian aircraft that's ever flown- I've seen it once in person and the thing that shocked me most was how small the thing was. Based on pictures (usually with no other aircraft to scale) I assumed it was a much larger plane. The reverse is true of the space shuttle (a far bigger craft than I imagined). Looking forward to the Intrepid Concorde being restored and actually touring the thing.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Are other Lego compatible sets ok?

Model dimensions (L x W x H): 70cm (27.6") x 30cm (11.8") 24cm (9.4"), that's one big boy.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gross.

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Only if it's the Harbin train robbery playset imo

Dokapon Findom
Dec 5, 2022

But have you considered whether the child murdered by the driver of that truck was riding an oversized bike?!?! Children riding oversized bikes are the scourge of our roadways!!
I personally detest war-themed Lego/building bricks

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Dokapon Findom posted:

Unless the war is interstellar, of course.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Dokapon Findom posted:

quote:

The basic aim is to avoid realistic weapons and military equipment that children may recognize from hot spots around the world and to refrain from showing violent or frightening situations when communicating about LEGO products. At the same time, the purpose is for the LEGO brand not to be associated with issues that glorify conflicts and unethical or harmful behavior. “We have a strict policy regarding military models, and therefore, we do not produce tanks, helicopters, etc. While we always support the men and women who serve their country, we prefer to keep the play experiences we provide for children in the realm of fantasy.”

What doesn't make sense is all the cop sets considering that statement.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

alex314 posted:

Are other Lego compatible sets ok?

Model dimensions (L x W x H): 70cm (27.6") x 30cm (11.8") 24cm (9.4"), that's one big boy.

Yeah dude, both Cobi and Mega are really good brands these days. Cobi is, quality of brick wise, easily comparable to Lego though they use a lot of specialized parts. There minifigures are also horrendous. BUT, they don't use stickers at all and the end models look and feel great.

Mega is behind Lego quality wise, though not by much. No stickers either, and loads of interesting, useful parts that Lego doesn't have. They also have a respectable minifigure equivalent that is different enough to feel like their own thing. Good franchises too, with Halo, Barbie and Pokemon sets. Plus they have Godzilla sets due out next year.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

43 here I just assumed that everyone around my age was issued posters of the Lambo Diablo or Countach, the Concorde, and domestic beer ads with women in swimsuits.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Dogen posted:

43 here I just assumed that everyone around my age was issued posters of the Lambo Diablo or Countach, the Concorde, and domestic beer ads with women in swimsuits.

Yup. I went to college

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
The statement says that they don't want CHILDREN playing with them. Grown rear end MAN CHILDREN should be fine.

I had toy guns and army men as a kid and it didn't gently caress me up at all

(Looks in medicine cabinet, mirror, life in general)

Oh yeah. Never mind.

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

also the star wars sets

Borsche69
May 8, 2014

Dogen posted:

i'd also say resevoir dogs/pulp fiction/boondock saints posters but that might be 5~ years too late for 43

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
MCU too

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

The public perception of the police in Europe is a lot more positive than in the USA.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I’m finishing up the Jazz Club, which has a printing or bag error in its instructions. The parts for the last step of bag 12 are actually part of bag 13. I had vague memories of hearing about that before, but I panicked a bit before I decided to look it up again.

The clear window panes for small windows were a really tight fit and hard to get in. One of the nubs on one of the windows even got squished a little, but luckily not enough to keep it from fitting in.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
How are you putting the windows in? I just slide them in on one side and press and have never had a problem. Sometimes they are a bit tighter but nothing that seems "wrong."

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Waltzing Along posted:

How are you putting the windows in? I just slide them in on one side and press and have never had a problem. Sometimes they are a bit tighter but nothing that seems "wrong."

Piece tolerance is all over the place these days. I noticed the same thing in the Jazz Club with the windows. Meanwhile the Jurassic Park set I've just built has sooooo many gaps between the bricks.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

I enjoyed building the Disney camera set and my wife loves it. It is quite a handsome model. I can’t believe the clicky handle sound thing works. I wish they had included a light brick or something with the multiplane but on the other hand it’s a cool sub build and I guess I should be happy they wanted to do the prints for it.

Also a little disappointed that you can’t adjust the camera at all, I guess I get not wanting to potentially gently caress up the filmstrip but some tilt would have been nice, especially to allow the matte thing to have an adjustment that stays instead of immediately sliding back down. Might have been a good spot for those technic rubber bushings.

Anyway that’s a lot of criticism but it’s pretty good really.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Playing devil's advocate for a moment - Lego police have a very strong aspirational quality to them. As far as I know, they don't even come with batons, let alone any kind of guns. I'm not obsessed enough to chase down any of the tie-in media, but police in Lego is generally presented in a very non-violent kind of way. I personally find the police sets to be boring, but at least they aren't as tied to the violent aspects of policing as most children's toys involving police? :shrug:

Anyway, Second 2023 Ideas review is up. Very mixed bag this time around, with very little that even looks practical. Also, four Taylor Swift-themed sets, three of which are based on the same music video. And the first Muppets Theatre set suggested is so much better than the second one.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

CADA seem to have the Red Bull F1 license. Also they already made a mystery machine that looks basically the same? Every ideas round up is worse than the last.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Gumball Machine and Train Bookends look decent.

Almost everything else is dreck. Also, I was particularly enamored with the sets that LEGO has already made. Good job!