Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Drakkel posted:

The only way they could do Gear 5 is if Live Action Luffy just turns into Anime Luffy

They'll never come close but if they just went full Roger Rabbit it would be incredible

Anyway Tony Tony Chopper should be a literal muppet, flappy mouth and all. But the likely best case scenario is going Detective Pikachu and just make him look like the original design with more texture.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I want a future pirate to show up, have their bounty pop up on screen, and then they grab it and show it off to introduce themselves with, instead of just swatting it away

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sounds like a Luffy thing to do.

They should have had Shanks' bounty float up at the end when Mihawk was popping over to say hello.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I think leaning into the cartoony nature of One Piece helped sell the CGI that they did in the show. Half of why stretchy powers look like rear end is that they are inherently unrealistic in a way almost no other power is. Also some of the jankier Buggy scenes go by without screaming for your attention because it's a near cartoon clown doing it.

Which, honestly, is a decent part of the problem with the Fishmen. The prosthetics are too serious business and too limiting for the surrounding cartoons. Luffy's stretchiness looked wonky sometimes, but the brain forgives far more than the prosthetic Fishmen who seem to have gotten way too much botox.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Terper posted:

I want a future pirate to show up, have their bounty pop up on screen, and then they grab it and show it off to introduce themselves with, instead of just swatting it away

Given his whole deal with Bounties, this should be Bellamy imo.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sanji needs to react like he's in actual physical pain if they ever get far enough to release his bounty poster.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

Scholtz posted:

Please keep us updated, we all really care

Thanks I will

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Gyges posted:

I think leaning into the cartoony nature of One Piece helped sell the CGI that they did in the show. Half of why stretchy powers look like rear end is that they are inherently unrealistic in a way almost no other power is. Also some of the jankier Buggy scenes go by without screaming for your attention because it's a near cartoon clown doing it.

Which, honestly, is a decent part of the problem with the Fishmen. The prosthetics are too serious business and too limiting for the surrounding cartoons. Luffy's stretchiness looked wonky sometimes, but the brain forgives far more than the prosthetic Fishmen who seem to have gotten way too much botox.

I feel like this is a recurring problem with live action anime, where trying to ground it just makes everything look cheap and bad. Speed Racer figured it out years ago- the production needs to commit fully to the source material if you expect the audience to commit as well.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I really like Arlong in live action. The look is a little off but I'm not sure what you'd have to do - or more accurately spend - to get a more comic accurate representation. Great performance, though, like all of them.

Love how they lean into everything. Garp? Yeah, he gets his doggy head ballcap. Just sitting there eating nothing steaks and drinking whiskey like a champ.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

No Jango
No (one) Peace

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Jango not being in is a huge downer for sure, was the best character of that arc

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
https://twitter.com/newworldartur/status/1698708920804471236?s=20

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Jango not being in is a huge downer for sure, was the best character of that arc

I suspect he's going to show up working with Buggy and Alvida at Loguetown. A hypnotist as part of a circus performance.

Especially because his wanted poster was shown on the wall in episode 1.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I cannot stop watching the new anime OP, it's so good

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I suspect he's going to show up working with Buggy and Alvida at Loguetown. A hypnotist as part of a circus performance.

Especially because his wanted poster was shown on the wall in episode 1.

I'm of the opinion that the wall means absolutely nothing in terms of whether or not a character will appear in the future - it's an easy way to put fun nods/Easter eggs in for people familiar with the source material without committing to anything, but still building the overall feel of the world for new fans.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah if someone is on the wall but not in the season it's likely just an easter egg.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

Yeah if someone is on the wall but not in the season it's likely just an easter egg.

Easter egg

Easter bunny

Carrot confirmed

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think theyll translate gear 5 if they ever get there but it wont be cartoony. he'll just embody the moral idea of freedom as opposed to the physical one as well.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Jerusalem posted:

I love that the only actual bounty numbers you see in the Live Action also successfully mask just what a huge loving difference there is between the East Blue and the Grand Line Paradise (and in turn Grand Line New World and then Emperor Level poo poo). By the end, everybody is amazed at Luffy having the highest bounty in the East Blue, but Mihawk's canceled bounty means you don't see what his was and you can't see what Roger's bounty was on his poster. Seeing those figures this early would completely destroy that sense of scale and I love how the bounties making wild jumps up over the course of the manga slowly primed the audience for the crazy amounts the Emperors or Roger etc have on them, while still letting the figures Luffy etc get still seem like big deals in the moment as they get them.

I forget, is Chopper's bounty in the tens of thousands still?

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Hasn’t quite gotten to ten thousand yet, no

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

There's a decent chance that wont even be his bounty once Luffy becomes the Pirate King

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Chopper's most recent bounty is a whopping 1,000 berries.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
I want chopper to finally get a decent bounty... but as monster point or heavy point, while Brain Point still is there, as it's own separate bounty, still as a pet

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Begemot posted:

10 times his previous bounty, an even bigger jump than Nico Robin got!

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Finally finished the live action show and now I'm like 100 times more excited for the next Luffy and Coby interaction in the manga :3:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Arist posted:

I cannot stop watching the new anime OP, it's so good
Yeah if anyone hasn't seen it yet it's for the end of Wano and it's real good

Exemplifies current One Piece anime by having 30 seconds of nothing and then extremely quick cuts between phenomenal animation and gorgeous shots

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yu-0eh9jdZg

It's a real feelgood one

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Begemot posted:

CommunityEdition posted:

Hasn’t quite gotten to ten thousand yet, no

Cat Machine posted:

There's a decent chance that wont even be his bounty once Luffy becomes the Pirate King

:kimchi:

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So when you read new chapters, are you going to hear the dub or LA voices for everyone as they're speaking?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Neither op

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Watched the live action. Better than I expected, still not good enough to be something I'll care to ever watch again or watch further seasons of.

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

SgtSteel91 posted:

So when you read new chapters, are you going to hear the dub or LA voices for everyone as they're speaking?

i'll hear the manga voices like usual

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

SgtSteel91 posted:

Out of respect to how Colleen Clinkenbeard and Sonny Strait murder their throats, I hear the dub.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

SgtSteel91 posted:

I read them aloud doing my own voices for each character as per usual.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.tiktok.com/embed/7274613105349381381

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The next Tumblr Sexyman, Buggy the Clown.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/Behind_Pics/status/1698726108114354565?s=20

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
finished the show, very good. most of my praise and nitpicks have been posted already except one - it felt weird seeing luffy getting hype over sweets and desserts!! i admit i havent done a reread so the Ancient Texts are a distant memory for me, but luffy pigging out on desserts is just... give the boy some drat Meat.

GruntMountain
Jul 17, 2017

Countblanc posted:

finished the show, very good. most of my praise and nitpicks have been posted already except one - it felt weird seeing luffy getting hype over sweets and desserts!! i admit i havent done a reread so the Ancient Texts are a distant memory for me, but luffy pigging out on desserts is just... give the boy some drat Meat.

Luffy was a big fan of the sweets he was given during the post-fight celebration on Fishman Island, so it shouldn't be too out of place for him to enjoy some nice sweets in the live action show.

GruntMountain fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Sep 4, 2023

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
this weeks anime episode was really good. it does a good job of showing 1) the ludicrous jump up in ability gear 5 has given luffy (the scene of him bouncing off the lightning progressively faster and faster made him seem way beyond anything he's been doing thus far) and 2) kaido is going all out to try and put this guy down, he just cannot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
luffy loves all kinds of food he just need meat to live