Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
actually something kind of funny thats probably a coincidence but zoro mostly drinking instead of eating food a lot of the time is like another snub at sanji

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

does sanji brew their own booze on the ship? I know frankies got the cola hookup

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Gyges posted:

Robin joined the crew before Luffy's bounty was raised to 100 million. It was only a few days/weeks but she joined at Alabasta and Luffy's bounty didn't get raised until a day after they landed on Jaya.

Not quite. I remember Igaram looking at Luffy and Zoro's bounties before they left Alabasta. And I guess news is slow at Jaya?

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

bitmap posted:

they actually made it good. I cant believe it.

Just wanted to say that this post/avatar combo had me audibly chuckle.

I was skeptical as hell too, goddamn they did a good job.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, they abridged, changed, cut, and even added some stuff to the story but all the same you can tell this was made by people who actually care about the source material and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more

Hell, most of the original content was pretty good (like Nami and Kaya, Garp and Zeff, Luffy leaning in and listening while Nami unlocks a safe, etc) and even the Arlong design grew on me a lot sooner than I expected it to

Larryb fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Sep 5, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Would be very funny if they started season 2 by introducing the Straw Hats with the wanted poster bit to establish their bounties

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Would be very funny if they started season 2 by introducing the Straw Hats with the wanted poster bit to establish their bounties

I genuinely hope they do as I kind of liked the gimmick of the wanted poster flashing in front of the villain's face and them proceeding to tear it up in some fashion.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Waffleman_ posted:

Luffy grabs his, looks it, and bursts into a fit of joy

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It was a really clever way to translate the same feeling that one of the name chyrons in the manga does.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Potato Salad posted:

Luffy grabs his, looks it, and bursts into a fit of joy

Sanji grabs his and freaks out because they got his face wrong

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Waffleman_ posted:

It was a really clever way to translate the same feeling that one of the name chyrons in the manga does.

What do you mean?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Potato Salad posted:

What do you mean?

teh wanted poster gimmick in the LA has the same vibe as when oda does a title card drop in the manga

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

If/when we get a season 2, I bet we’ll get an early look at Brooke when they get to Laboon

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

SgtSteel91 posted:

If/when we get a season 2, I bet we’ll get an early look at Brooke when they get to Laboon

Crocus talks about Laboon's old crew and in the foggy flashback you can clearly see Slash in the background playing the violin.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

anime was right posted:

luffy loves all kinds of food he just need meat to live

He hates cherry pie.

Well, one bar's specific cherry pie.

Must be some real bad cherry pie.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Larryb posted:

Yeah, they abridged, changed, cut, and even added some stuff to the story but all the same you can tell this was made by people who actually care about the source material and I definitely wouldn't mind seeing more

Hell, most of the original content was pretty good (like Nami and Kaya, Garp and Zeff, Luffy leaning in and listening while Nami unlocks a safe, etc) and even the Arlong design grew on me a lot sooner than I expected it to

The guy who played Arlong was really good. I hated the design when I saw it in the trailer but he made it work. He even managed to pull off Arlong's signature laugh at one point without it sounding unnatural.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

He hates cherry pie.

Well, one bar's specific cherry pie.

Must be some real bad cherry pie.

He hates cherry pie.

Has a disagreement with some Blackbeard guy.

Lets a scuffle with a rookie spring man slide.

Dreams never die.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I find it kind of funny that they made Buggy extra sinister in his live action debut only for him to immediately revert to his usual self in every appearance afterwards

Larryb fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Sep 5, 2023

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I marked out extremely hard when they first set sail on the Going Merry and the instrumental version of We Are started playing.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
hmm syrup village is probably an improvement from the original but still kinda drags a little, i feel like pacing-wise hour-long episodes results in some awkward choices? they really didn't have anywhere good to put zoro's flashback huh. i would have probably tried to fit it in around mihawk at the baratie which is what the anime did iirc but i guess they would have struggled to fit it in there

watching the baratie arc now and i really don't like this mihawk lol

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

I'm very late to finishing the live action, but I have to say... it is good!

I saw people had nitpicks about changes- I don't give a poo poo about any of them. Increasing Coby's role and adding Garp was fantastic. Syrup village was fantastic and so much better. Arlong Park was a different story, but still great.

My pet favorite thing that got left out was Usopp getting away from Chuu and coming up with a story about how it was just too much for him, before coming around and realizing he needed to go back and finish the job. Genuinely one of my favorite moments in the whole story, and cut from the live action, and I don't care. Live action One Piece was a perfect adaptation.

Runa posted:

I marked out extremely hard when they first set sail on the Going Merry and the instrumental version of We Are started playing.
I have no idea what "marked out" means, but same. That music. God drat.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I got a little emotional when the Strawhats' jolly roger was unfurled for the first time in the final episode.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I also legit laughed at loud when Mihawk had a brief moment of hat to hat communication when he met Luffy

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Viridiant posted:

I got a little emotional when the Strawhats' jolly roger was unfurled for the first time in the final episode.
Everything they showed post-Arlong Park the roger unfurling, the commencement ceremony, the decks of the world stuff, We Are! etc. etc. had the genuine One Piece magic to it. Couldn't believe it.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Larryb posted:

I find it kind of funny that they made Buggy extra sinister in his live action debut only for him to immediately revert to his usual self in every appearance afterwards

Now we get the wonderful arc of Buggy failing upwards.

I wonder if Alvida's going to have her, ah, transformation.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Dawgstar posted:

Now we get the wonderful arc of Buggy failing upwards.

I wonder if Alvida's going to have her, ah, transformation.

I think Alvida might get a different fruit in this version, she asks about "the most powerful" not "the most beautiful" pirate on the seas. Also as I sort of mentioned with Jango, I kind of think they might do a bit more "circus performer" with Buggy's expanding crew, a hypnotist wanting revenge for Kuro (who also is explicitly shown escaping syrup on a boat), maybe a fishman from Arlong's crew, Ghin from Don Krieg's crew (so he can face off against Sanji properly). Could help give a fight first episode next season for everyone to show how much further they've grown as they leave the East Blue.

Alvida in such a situation could easily be a "strong woman" act with some sort of physically enhancing powerfruit.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Sep 5, 2023

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
That sounds an awful lot like a character from the early parts of what would be the next season.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I'm still impressed the show managed to sell Mihawk's tiny knife fight.

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Lord_Magmar posted:

I think Alvida might get a different fruit in this version, she asks about "the most powerful" not "the most beautiful" pirate on the seas. Also as I sort of mentioned with Jango, I kind of think they might do a bit more "circus performer" with Buggy's expanding crew, a hypnotist wanting revenge for Kuro (who also is explicitly shown escaping syrup on a boat), maybe a fishman from Arlong's crew, Ghin from Don Krieg's crew (so he can face off against Sanji properly). Could help give a fight first episode next season for everyone to show how much further they've grown as they leave the East Blue.

Alvida in such a situation could easily be a "strong woman" act with some sort of physically enhancing powerfruit.

What reason does Gin have to fight Sanji in LA though? They don't have the same relationship as in the manga.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

JuniperCake posted:

What reason does Gin have to fight Sanji in LA though? They don't have the same relationship as in the manga.

Because his new boss is fighting the Straw Hat crew?

I'll admit it's potentially a weak idea.

Maybe he's decided he wants to make sure that they're ready for the Grand Line compared to him and Don Krieg?

Mostly it's just that I figure Ghin surviving would mean he'd come back at some point even without the Don Krieg attack on Baratie stuff.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Runa posted:

I'm still impressed the show managed to sell Mihawk's tiny knife fight.
Honestly had no idea how 1:1 that sequence was with the anime, it looked good.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Zoro does the same special moves he does in the manga, which is honestly kinda crazy considering he’s spinning two blades with another in his mouth at one point

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8AdZdES1eQ

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Honestly, almost all the 1:1 movements worked wonderfully. The exceptions, weirdly, are that a lot of Luffy's double fist raises look like unnatural movements in live action. Super fast dual sword spins with a third sword in his mouth: natural. Whoohoo double fist raise from the manga: stilted.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Shame Zoros actors famous dad didn't get the vax and died from covid two years ago. He could have had a cameo as someone

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

My pet favourite thing being left out from LAOP, was Orange Village Guy’s spinner hat inspiring Luffy for the Windmill Attack.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Bisse posted:

My pet favourite thing being left out from LAOP, was Orange Village Guy’s spinner hat inspiring Luffy for the Windmill Attack.
The omissions just make me all the more aware of how masterful a storyteller Oda is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Bisse posted:

Luffy being in utter awe of the fact the dude had a windmill on his hat always cracked me up :allears: