Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Coquito Ergo Sum posted:

I'll keep posting his stuff, but Glidus is a good watch. Here's an April Fool's video he did where he grabbed a few ASOIAF-channels and dragooned them into a trivia show based around fan theories:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mOUdw0m1VU&t=257s

Question 9 is the best, where all of them just lose their poo poo over the Horse Theory. Speaking of which, there's a whole rear end follow up video to that one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTPhwwUXSjA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

I just found my season 5 DVD set. Still in the shrink wrap. I think I was still trying to tell myself it was a good show and I'd re-watch it later but lol.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

banned from Starbucks posted:

I just found my season 5 DVD set. Still in the shrink wrap. I think I was still trying to tell myself it was a good show and I'd re-watch it later but lol.

I bought them all on BluRay individually. Even Season 8. I will never watch any of them, probably ever.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The show dies with Tywin. There's no reason to watch literally any of the other episodes. Even the so called good ones like bastard bowl are 75% pure drivel and 25% impractically choreographed fight scene.

Ramsay fighting a bunch of nasty viking bastards with no shirt on and coming out unscathed is absolute nonsense, but it's also a moment of sexual pandering that isn't aimed at straight men so I'll give it more of a pass than I would have done.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Platystemon posted:

“This fully rustles Hoster Tully’s jimmies” certainly is a phrase.

Glidus has many a good phrase :allears:

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Happy Landfill posted:

I'm a really big fan of his very first video, his theory that Sweet Robin's real dad is Little Finger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX_tubKH3nI

Wasn't that pretty much settled? She got preggers so they hurriedly married her of to a rich old guy without heirs

(I haven't read the books for almost 20 years)

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Anders posted:

Wasn't that pretty much settled? She got preggers so they hurriedly married her of to a rich old guy without heirs

(I haven't read the books for almost 20 years)

That kid was aborted/Sweet Robin is too young to be that baby. The Littlefinger is Sweet Robin's father theory posits that Littlefinger and Lysa were loving while they were both in King's Landing.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I don't necessarily buy it but it's not what I'd call far-fetched.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Guy A. Person posted:

That entire season(s?) felt like somehow the guy who played Ramsay got let into the writers room by accident and just kept suggesting dumb poo poo like this and the real writers were too shy to shoot it down. The “twenty good men” thing was essentially the same, like the guy was a bad parody fanfic villain until it was time for him to die, before then he was untouchable

I think the writers were very capable of thinking up dumb poo poo all by themselves

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

ulvir posted:

started a rewatch of the show for unknown reasons, probably because I hate myself I guess. the first sign that the quality is about to go south in S4 was when Tanner started twirling his stupid daggers around like a dipshit. also beggar's belief how the show had the hound make a big point of Syrio getting offed because his opponent had armour and a bigger weapon, and then cut to Ramsay running around shirtless like some anime villain against several heavily armoured and armed soldiers.

Yeah, for me it was both those moments too

S4 is still mostly good but these things were so bad it got me worried the writing was starting to go downhill. And yes it did

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

there's also a very noticeable issue with lighting in the last few episodes of s4, that really foreshadows certain fuckups later on, too (the long night, or whatever, in season 8)

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I've been watching Outlander recently. Still only in the first season but man it's loving nice that you can actually see what's going during the night scenes.

I hope that doesn't change

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Happy Landfill posted:

I've been watching Outlander recently. Still only in the first season but man it's loving nice that you can actually see what's going during the night scenes.

I hope that doesn't change

I watched that whole first season because I was promised swordfights.

There is swordfight, singular.

loving fraud.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
aSoIaF and GoT ruined fantasy for me as a genre

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Remember how they compared The Long Night in season 8 and Helm's Deep in LotR The Two Towers.

Even outside of the sheer gulf in quality, you can see every moment of action in Helm's Deep, perfect piece of film craft.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Remember how they compared The Long Night in season 8 and Helm's Deep in LotR The Two Towers.

Even outside of the sheer gulf in quality, you can see every moment of action in Helm's Deep, perfect piece of film craft.

Right? I don't understand this obsession with making every thing so dreary and hard to see just because things take place at night. If most of your viewers can't see what's going on you're doing something wrong. Old movies didn't used to do this

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Happy Landfill posted:

Right? I don't understand this obsession with making every thing so dreary and hard to see just because things take place at night. If most of your viewers can't see what's going on you're doing something wrong. Old movies didn't used to do this

Someone decided that night shots shouldn't be lit because it's not "realistic" and "breaks immersion" and now we're here.

Pennsylvanian
May 23, 2010

Hetman Bohdan Khmelnytsky Independent Presidential Regiment
Western Liberal Democracy or Death!

Happy Landfill posted:

Glidus has many a good phrase :allears:

I'm a 2 year old who laughs every time he edits the Pycelle fart.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Devorum posted:

Someone decided that night shots shouldn't be lit because it's not "realistic" and "breaks immersion" and now we're here.

I want to know how that started. How to do go to the effort to dress a set and choreograph a scene and then go in to Post only to go, "no, make it darker :hmmyes:". Even in scenes where things are supposed to be confusing and obfuscated from characters you can still do it in a way that the audience can still see what's going on.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 5, 2023

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Happy Landfill posted:

I want to know how that started. How to do go to the effort to dress a set and choreograph a scene and then go in to Post only to go, "no, make it darker :hmmyes". Even in scenes where things are supposed to be confusing and obfuscated from characters you can still do it in a way that the audience can still see what's going on.

Years of idiotic cinema-sins levels of criticism that thinks “””realism””” is a sign of inherent quality without actually knowing anything.

Tarnop
Nov 25, 2013

Pull me out

Happy Landfill posted:

I want to know how that started. How to do go to the effort to dress a set and choreograph a scene and then go in to Post only to go, "no, make it darker :hmmyes". Even in scenes where things are supposed to be confusing and obfuscated from characters you can still do it in a way that the audience can still see what's going on.

I hope that person was made to watch the episode on a 4mbps stream

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Happy Landfill posted:

It’s cheaper and easier because nothing has to be perfect if you can’t see what the gently caress is going on. It’s just laziness.

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

Devorum posted:

its also so they can do cheap rear end CGI and hide its imperfections easily

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I was watching Glass Onion recently, and there's part of that movie that take place in complete darkness and you can still see the characters and what they're doing even if the other characters can't. And even parts where a character's actions are supposed to be confusing and obfuscated from the other characters, you the audience can still go back and see what they're doing because the action is still obvious if you know to look for it.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Sep 5, 2023

Coquito Ergo Sum
Feb 9, 2021

I really just think it's Sapochnik. It was right around the time that he started directing that the color-grading got really washed out. He was the one who directed the infamous Long Night episode as well as the similarly-criticized HotD episode with the awful-looking night coloring.

People tried to say that the Long Night episode was the result of editing on perfect equipment, or because the streaming service, or because people weren't using HDR, but that's horseshit. Everyone I talked to that night was running every form of TV, digital cable, or streaming service, and it all looked like a washed out mess. The reason why Helm's Deep looked decent was because it was shot with proper color in mind. The darkness is cut with differing shades of blue that bounce off of fog and mist to frame the shot and give contrast. Long Night was just loving dark and filmed with Sapochnik's dark filter over it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Watching Tyrion’s trial tonight and ngl it would be more interesting to see him at the wall than what we got, book or show

Also last good scene Dinklage gets

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 6, 2023

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

i still have no idea when the show decided it was cutting plot lines it chose to get rid of the absolute slam dunk stinger moment of faegon especially considering in adwd he's literally beaten dany to westeros

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

ItohRespectArmy posted:

i still have no idea when the show decided it was cutting plot lines it chose to get rid of the absolute slam dunk stinger moment of faegon especially considering in adwd he's literally beaten dany to westeros

I like season 2 but lol that Dany’s entire season was all poo poo that got dropped. The show would be the same if they Branned her out for that one

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I like season 2 but lol that Dany’s entire season was all poo poo that got dropped. The show would be the same if they Branned her out for that one

lol that is true

rip strong belwas

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ItohRespectArmy posted:

lol that is true

rip strong belwas

It does mean I get to continue imagining Strong Belwas as the only actor for the role :

Danny De Vito.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Xiahou Dun posted:

It does mean I get to continue imagining Strong Belwas as the only actor for the role :

Danny De Vito.

I need this Photoshop.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Watching Tyrion’s trial tonight and ngl it would be more interesting to see him at the wall than what we got, book or show

Someone switched his scripts for season 5 - 8 with 1001 cock jokes and no one noticed.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Danny De Vito.

Oh good God.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

It would be the trash man cheering scene except after he took a big poo poo on the dead guy.

Dany would also be cheering

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

God, it really was. That's so depressing :sigh:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

bobjr posted:

It would be the trash man cheering scene except after he took a big poo poo on the dead guy.

Dany would also be cheering

Just imagine him screaming for liver and onions.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Picturing Danny Devito but he’s done some actor boot camp thing to get that musclegut power lifter build

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Picturing Danny Devito but he’s done some actor boot camp thing to get that musclegut power lifter build

Don't you loving dare.

Like this but with a gently caress-off huge sword :

La Louve Rouge
Jun 25, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Frankly the show would have been better off treating Dany the way the books treated Theon and sending her away for a few seasons, then making her reemergence a twist after Tyrion saves the kingdom from war by finding and installing the most legitimate possible claimant left

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Watching gurm commentary on the DVDs and it’s actually making me like him send help

He says “the fans write me angry about x is different from the book, but I don’t care” a lot. It’s pretty endearing.