Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

That Old Ganon posted:

What kind of fertilizer might be best for daikon and turnips?
I'm reading lots of web pages and they are hilariously inconsistent (High nitrogen after six weeks! No, nitrogen puts all the energy into the greens, not the roots!). My California Master Gardener manual (hi, Motronic!) has nothing to say about it. Myself, I'd just put in a good vegetable fertilizer and hope for the best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I'm reading lots of web pages and they are hilariously inconsistent (High nitrogen after six weeks! No, nitrogen puts all the energy into the greens, not the roots!). My California Master Gardener manual (hi, Motronic!) has nothing to say about it. Myself, I'd just put in a good vegetable fertilizer and hope for the best.

General balanced is going to be close enough for most things. I’d expect high nitrogen if you’re looking for turnip greens.

Daikons won’t want high nitrogen, but balanced will be good. Usually once more about halfway through the season is going to be good. Turnips for the root veg will like the same.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Thanks, I'll give a balanced fertilizer a look!

Unrelated: might there be a reason my habanada peppers came in all spindly? Was it lack of fertilizer?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

That Old Ganon posted:

Unrelated: might there be a reason my habanada peppers came in all spindly? Was it lack of fertilizer?

Is it because they're just (over)ripe shishito peppers? (seriously they look just like that - check the leaves and stems against the variety you think these are to confirm you were growing what you think you were growing)

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

Agreed, they don't look like they ever even tried to be hab shaped. The really thin skin makes me think shishito as well.

If you have a bunch of green ones still on the plant you've got a really easy, tasty snack just waiting on you.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

mischief posted:

If you have a bunch of green ones still on the plant you've got a really easy, tasty snack just waiting on you.

I like tossing some red ones and some breakers in with my standard "thrown them in a cast iron pan with olive oil and salt" shishito snack.

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Finally blended up my fermenting habanero sauce. Went with pineapple, onion, grated ginger, carrots and habs. The ginger pulls it all together. Rest of the peppers are still going strong, and the lemon drops are finally fruiting. I think they needed a heatwave to really get going.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ginger is also great for carrying the beneficial bacteria you need!

Szechwan
Jun 10, 2023
Do the red shishitos taste any different?

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
As it turns out, the plant is a spitting image of a shishito pepper plant and not at all like an habañero/habanada. It took more than a year to learn this.

Seeds came from Baker Creek, lmao.

sexy tiger boobs
Aug 23, 2002

Up shit creek with a turd for a paddle.

Baker creek supports domestic terrorists, don't support them.

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Yeah, I don't need to be told twice. I didn't know better a year ago when I got into gardening.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Szechwan posted:

Do the red shishitos taste any different?

I find they are generally are more mild/sweet. They also are softer. Not to the point of mush, but not as snappy as green ones.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

sexy tiger boobs posted:

Baker creek supports domestic terrorists, don't support them.

Oh? Now I'm just curious. Link? Pictures?

Edit: Okay never mind. I had the nice friendly lady who I think is pregnant or just has a kid, from San Diego seed company in my head read this.

sterster fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Sep 5, 2023

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

sterster posted:

Oh? Now I'm just curious. Link? Pictures?

Edit: Okay never mind. I had the nice friendly lady who I think is pregnant or just has a kid, from San Diego seed company in my head read this.

I assume they mean the Bundys. That would be Cliven and Ammon, not Al and Peggy. Comes up now and again.

I dunno how much they "support" them but they are happy to do puff features on them in the pages of their catalog, so....

From upthread:

SubG posted:

This isn't directed at you but just as a sort of recurring public service announcement: Baker Creek went to bat for Cliven fuckin Bundy. They invited him as a speaker to one of their public events, they did a profile piece on him where they called him a "land rights activist" or some poo poo, and when called on this they spent several days talking about ~*freedom*~ before finally un-inviting him because of "security concerns" for the event.

gently caress Baker Creek.

Here's where it was originally discussed as it happened in this very thread.

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
Ordering from Baker Creek is also the best way to get the wrong seeds. I think they're just randomized, not even sorted by species all the time

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Spent the labor day weekend on a birthday gift for the partner! We'd been getting into hobby gardening lately, well mostly she has and I've been helping. I've got a bit of landscaping experience from when I was conscripted in my child and teen years to help in my mom's garden, so it's been nice to put some of that experience to use for something worthwhile.

My main goals were economy of parts needed, materials balanced between longevity and price, ability to dismantle/rebuild, and a minimum of equipment needed. I ended up going with the cheapest timbers I could reasonably find (8' cherry for $5 apiece) and some 1/2" rebar stakes. No fasteners or glues.

I initially planned to use a hand saw for everything, but after hand sawing my first lap joint I instead borrowed a miter saw from a neighbor. The only other tools were a drill, a rubber mallet, and a couple of longevity awards from Salesforce, which have finally found a use in the garden (holding down fabric, and as a block for driving stakes with the mallet)

The finished product! All that's left is to fill in the dirt at the base.

Some close-ups of the joints, lest anyone accuse me of being skilled:

It'll sit in the current state until we're ready to harvest or euthanize the sugar pumpkins, then we'll start filling the bed with dirt and compost over the winter.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose
What a great gift! Looks nice, you should update when it's planted

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.
We got two huge pine stumps ground by our tree guy. My parents are insisting we get him to come back to haul away the ground wood for more money. Me, in-laws, tree guy saying no need. Who's right? It's in an area that's already kind of marginal and wild so looks aren't important. Mom is saying pine wood is too acidic to use as mulch which I think is a myth. My father in law is saying wet every once in a while it speed up decomp. I could actually use the free mulch.

mischief
Jun 3, 2003

You can happily use it as mulch.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

We got two huge pine stumps ground by our tree guy. My parents are insisting we get him to come back to haul away the ground wood for more money. Me, in-laws, tree guy saying no need. Who's right? It's in an area that's already kind of marginal and wild so looks aren't important. Mom is saying pine wood is too acidic to use as mulch which I think is a myth. My father in law is saying wet every once in a while it speed up decomp. I could actually use the free mulch.

Wood chips make terrible mulch period.

You mother wants them gone. Why do you care either way? Let her get someone to make them not there anymore.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

I have had good luck with wood chips as mulch around trees and as a weed suppressant for paths.

Comb Your Beard
Sep 28, 2007

Chillin' like a villian.

Motronic posted:

Wood chips make terrible mulch period.

How is it different from commercial mulch? I'm seeing the opposite in my research, one site said "Native mulches (also called arborist wood chips) are the best choice".

I just shoveled some into place to be mulch at the bottom of a young tree and barely made a dent. They're a pretty color though. Leaning towards using + hiring the haul away.

Comb Your Beard fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer
People say wood mulch sequesters too much nitrogen while it decomposes in the soil. I find if you use it as a top layer for a year, it’s fine. Nitrogen is super easy to add to soil, anyway. It grows a fuckton of mycelium for me so I have a hard time thinking it’s a bad mulch.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

Wood chips don’t decompose as fast as bark which can be good or bad depending on what you want. They are an okay source of organic matter, but you’ll have to wait a lot longer than you would if you were mulching with bark or leaves or pine straw. There’s some concern that wood chips will tie up available nitrogen in the soil, but IIRC that has been shown to only happen at a very thin layer where the soil and mulch are in contact. Probably a bigger issue if you mix the chips into the soil as an amendment.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Comb Your Beard posted:

How is it different from commercial mulch? I'm seeing the opposite in my research, one site said "Native mulches (also called arborist wood chips) are the best choice".

I just shoveled some into place to be mulch at the bottom of a young tree and barely made a dent. They're a pretty color though. Leaning towards using + hiring the haul away.

Commercial mulch is composted. Wood chips are not.

They are fungus magnets in my climate and many others. Especially "artillery fungus" which stains anything it's within 6 feet of.

Schmeichy
Apr 22, 2007

2spooky4u

Smellrose

Comb Your Beard posted:

If it's around permanent shrubs and things, wood chips are an ideal top layer mulch imo. Lasts a long time because it decomposes slowly, and I also get a lot of mycelium activity

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I use wood chips in all my pots and planters and I also put wine cap mycelium in there so they fruit tasty shrooms every so often. Works 4 me

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
Can anyone recommend a good book for garden planning for a 6A or 6B hardiness zone? I suddenly have a huge plot of land and don’t know what to do help.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tuyop posted:

Can anyone recommend a good book for garden planning for a 6A or 6B hardiness zone? I suddenly have a huge plot of land and don’t know what to do help.

https://extension.psu.edu/master-gardener-manual

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER
When it comes to overwintering my potted plants, could I use any kind of bubble wrap or should it be the reflective aluminum kind?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

That Old Ganon posted:

When it comes to overwintering my potted plants, could I use any kind of bubble wrap or should it be the reflective aluminum kind?

What exactly are you planning to do?

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i bring my plants inside to overwinter them OP

That Old Ganon
Jan 2, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ok Comboomer posted:

What exactly are you planning to do?
Wrap the pots in something insulating to try to keep frost from killing the roots.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

That Old Ganon posted:

Wrap the pots in something insulating to try to keep frost from killing the roots.

Better off building or buying some kind of cold frame, IMO

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

So what are the good online seed sellers these days?

ThePopeOfFun
Feb 15, 2010

Johnny’s did me good

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
I like Southern Exposure Seed Exchange.

Hoss Tools is also good. One of the bean varieties I ordered had poor germination and they sent out replacements without me asking.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

PokeJoe posted:

https://www.westcoastseeds.com/

https://territorialseed.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

PokeJoe posted:

https://nicholsgardennursery.com/
Lots of unusual herbs: black cumin, fenugreek, perilla (aka shisho)
https://www.artisticgardens.com/

Bonus features of Artistic Gardens (used to be Le Jardin du Gourmet): they sell a lot of imported European seeds, and they let you buy "sample packets" for very cheap. They also sell garlic and shallot starts, and the sample pack is a very reasonable $14.50 for 6oz of shallots, a bulb of garlic, 4 sample packets of herb seeds. Much cheaper than going all-in on 8 oz of garlic and the same of shallots; other sites' minimum orders are large.