Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Aglet56 posted:

The Netflix all quiet on the western front ending was ridiculous. It was honestly like a 30 rock bit or something. Just a complete misunderstanding of what the story is about

yeah, the film making/production/acting part of it is fantastic, what they did with the timeline and story was utterly stupid and it really made no sense. If Daniel Brühl needed an important role just have him be an officer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
I know I’m late to this but Reservation Dogs is incredible. I had watched the pilot a few years ago and didn’t love it but once I watched a few more recently I got totally hooked.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

mcmagic posted:

I know I’m late to this but Reservation Dogs is incredible. I had watched the pilot a few years ago and didn’t love it but once I watched a few more recently I got totally hooked.

It's so good and I'm glad I'm only a couple seasons in honestly I have a lot to look forward to judging by other people's reactions.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Reservation Dogs is so good and I’m super bummed it’s ending.

This season of What We Do in The Shadows was pretty solid, but I’m really disappointed that they just pulled a big reset button on Guillermo being a full vampire. It could’ve been a really nice way to shake up the dynamic a bit next season.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

If you want to see what a psychopath con-man looks like, go watch BS High on Max. It's about Bishop-Sycamore "High School". I put the high school part in quotes because it turned out that this wasn't actually a school at all, and this guy was just lying to a bunch of kids and families about it so he could try to start up a private high school football team. It all gets exposed when BS plays IMG Academy on ESPN and gets thoroughly embarrassed. Ron Johnson speaks freely in the movie and it's a little terrifying to watch. Prepare to be mad.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Bird in a Blender posted:

If you want to see what a psychopath con-man looks like, go watch BS High on Max. It's about Bishop-Sycamore "High School". I put the high school part in quotes because it turned out that this wasn't actually a school at all, and this guy was just lying to a bunch of kids and families about it so he could try to start up a private high school football team. It all gets exposed when BS plays IMG Academy on ESPN and gets thoroughly embarrassed. Ron Johnson speaks freely in the movie and it's a little terrifying to watch. Prepare to be mad.

They're on a roll, the Telemarketers doc was incredible.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer
Just got around to watching season 2 of Vikings: Valhalla, and it's definitely worth a watch. It looks great, the writing and acting are pretty good, and there just aren't enough historical dramas so it scratches that Last Kingdom / Vikings itch. The main characters are all very well acted and some of the recurring characters are even better (I'm looking at you Sweyn Forkbeard!)

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

BS High was one of the most insane stories I've ever heard.

Telemarketers was really good too and actually the other day my local "police union" called to get me to pledge a level of support lmao.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I got the Starz trial, what should I watch besides party down

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Telemarketers was good but it felt like it ran out of steam. It starts off very strong but I wanted more of a resolution at the end.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Watching bs high now and when bomani shows up I got hyped lol

E: the "I'm magneto line" God drat

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Sep 5, 2023

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Customer wars on Hulu is the kind of garbage toxic tv that I absolutely cannot stop myself from watching

The worst part is I have already seen half these clips on the internet lol

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Tim Whatley posted:

BS High was one of the most insane stories I've ever heard.

Telemarketers was really good too and actually the other day my local "police union" called to get me to pledge a level of support lmao.

Is Telemarketers over? I was watching that too, but I thought maybe they had more to go.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
Yeah I was surprised as well but Telemarketers is only 3 episodes long.

Seemed like it ended on the somewhat hopeless note where if you thought Telemarketing scams were difficult to stop when it was mainly Police abetting them, well now Politicians are in on the grift too so good loving luck.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

MacheteZombie posted:

Watching bs high now and when bomani shows up I got hyped lol

E: the "I'm magneto line" God drat

It really is a great watch. Though, I can't help but think that they jumped the gun a bit. I mean, the movie ends with a bit of a down note suggesting he didn't break any laws so there isn't anything to be done but, if he took out federal loans in the names of the players that's... quite a LOT of fraud. Also, I have a suspicion that he's guilty of defrauding the students and parents themselves. There's gotta be some Four Seasons Total Landscaping-esque shenanigans going on in their contracts. Plus, it would appear he filed for bankruptcy just last month and with that will come a lot of evidence. I just hope they don't feel foolish a year from now for releasing it when they did.

That said, I don't think we'll be talking about it as an exemplar of amazing documentary filmmaking a decade from now but, goddamn, I couldn't tear my eyes away.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Ohio writing an 80 page report scolding Roy and Bishop without doing anything meaningful is so unsurprisingly and nevertheless frustrating. Really liked Bomani's point in the end about how hosed the whole system is, Roy is just a symptom.

MacheteZombie fucked around with this message at 21:38 on Sep 5, 2023

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Pigma_Micron posted:

It really is a great watch. Though, I can't help but think that they jumped the gun a bit. I mean, the movie ends with a bit of a down note suggesting he didn't break any laws so there isn't anything to be done but, if he took out federal loans in the names of the players that's... quite a LOT of fraud. Also, I have a suspicion that he's guilty of defrauding the students and parents themselves. There's gotta be some Four Seasons Total Landscaping-esque shenanigans going on in their contracts. Plus, it would appear he filed for bankruptcy just last month and with that will come a lot of evidence. I just hope they don't feel foolish a year from now for releasing it when they did.

That said, I don't think we'll be talking about it as an exemplar of amazing documentary filmmaking a decade from now but, goddamn, I couldn't tear my eyes away.

It doesn't quite have the reveal at the level of The Jinx, but still has that feel of a guy who was just spitting out a ton of info for a willing prosecutor to put him away for a while, if someone wants to take the time.

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

MacheteZombie posted:

Ohio writing an 80 page report scolding Roy and Bishop without doing anything meaningful is so unsurprisingly and nevertheless frustrating. Really liked Bomani's point in the end about how hosed the whole system is, Roy is just a symptom.

Yeah, I think they were right to shift the focus to the overall issue of the Young Athlete Industrial Complex. I don't think it's breaking too much ground there (and I don't think the filmmakers thought they were), but I'm glad they made that decision. It's CLEARLY a very exploitable situation.

It doesn't quite have the reveal at the level of The Jinx, but still has that feel of a guy who was just spitting out a ton of info for a willing prosecutor to put him away for a while, if someone wants to take the time.

One can only hope...

Edit: Oh yeah! I completely forgot the actual, literal child neglect. Naturally I don't know the specifics about the laws of Ohio (or any state they visited), but surely not feeding the (apparently, few) underage players breaks child safety laws. Well, maybe not Texas.

Pigma_Micron fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Sep 6, 2023

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

AngryBooch posted:

Seemed like it ended on the somewhat hopeless note where if you thought Telemarketing scams were difficult to stop when it was mainly Police abetting them, well now Politicians are in on the grift too so good loving luck.

Yeah, I agree fully. Like Pat is obviously a very entertaining guy to watch and it's fun to spend a few hours with him but it ends with "well we got this far and accomplished absolutely nothing other than meeting a few people."

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

trevorreznik posted:

At this point, as long as it's scripted content I don't even care. My kid was watching some idiotic super Mario brothers cartoon from the 90s but it's a hell of a lot better than infinite amounts of Mario Lore via YouTube algorithms

The older content hits I've found so far are Darkwing Duck and Honey I've Shrunk the Kids

My kid is really into Buzz and Woody, after running through everything on Disney Plus a kajillion times, we've resorted to watching a supercut of all the Toy Story cutscenes from Kingdom Hearts 3 on YouTube.

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

Yup. It's wild. Things kicked up a notch when the geese murder thing came out. This guy isn't just a conman.....

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Minx is pretty clearly at the point where you start getting huge dramatic shifts to the status quo, the beginning of a character gaining greater social morality, and a preview of a wacky heist. No way it's coming back, but I did enjoy it much more than I thought I would, and it's nice that they were able to close up their storylines on STARZ.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Oh poo poo, Deke from Agents of SHIELD is Buggy the Clown in the Netflix One Piece show.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AngryBooch posted:

That was so hosed up. They get face time with a senator who says ‘’yeah let’s work on this right now.” But then he has to go and says his people will help them instead. THOSE people come in and loving kick them out.

What a loving joke this government is.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
https://cordcuttersnews.com/tubi-th...-cutting-grows/

The real "secret" of streaming is that there is plenty of money in it, it's just slow and steady. It doesn't wildly jerk around from here to there and it has ads, just reliably maintains a catalog of old stuff.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I'm watching Herzog's Nosferatu on tubi right now!

It's an amazing movie

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

https://cordcuttersnews.com/tubi-th...-cutting-grows/

The real "secret" of streaming is that there is plenty of money in it, it's just slow and steady. It doesn't wildly jerk around from here to there and it has ads, just reliably maintains a catalog of old stuff.

Sorry but I have strong expectations that the “people who sit around and watch TV” market will grow explosively year after year

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Tiny Timbs posted:

Sorry but I have strong expectations that the “people who sit around and watch TV” market will grow explosively year after year

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol I'm tempted to look up Matt y's thoughts on the matter but also no thx

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know this song is from the series but someone tell me the name so I can listen to it for six hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afpwpbKPs0

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
I just finished watching Mr Inbetween on Hulu and it’s crazy to me that the guy who starred in the show and wrote every episode has exactly two credits on IMDB, this show and the movie the show is based on.

He doesn’t even have anything upcoming. I’d definitely watch whatever his next project is whether he’s acting or writing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
Been catching up with Rez Dogs and man, the Deer Lady episode made me feel sick

Like, actually physically nauseous. Reminded me of the first time I saw Fire Walk With Me, which produced a similar reaction

That show is so loving good but I wasn't prepared for that

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Gonz posted:

Oh poo poo, Deke from Agents of SHIELD is Buggy the Clown in the Netflix One Piece show.

Thanks for this! The description of the show didn't really grab me, but I loved Deke and watching more from the same actor is worth giving it a try at least.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The 1987 movie Angel Heart is streaming on Paramount+, I just watched it last night. I had never seen it before and went in cold. drat! If you like the creepy, the atmospheric, the visual, and a movie where a bunch of freaky poo poo happens, Angel Heart is for you!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Angel Heart rules.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
when Angel Heart came out I took a very devout Christian girl to see it and she was not happy!

kick rear end movie

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Am I misremembering or is De Niro's character's name something like Lou Cipher? lol

Good movie though.

Hirsute
May 4, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I know this song is from the series but someone tell me the name so I can listen to it for six hours.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_afpwpbKPs0

I recently watched the Castlevania series for the first time and was genuinely surprised how much I liked it, great animation, writing, character development, everything just worked for me in a way I never expected from a video game anime series. Hope this lives up to it!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

anatomi posted:

Am I misremembering or is De Niro's character's name something like Lou Cipher? lol

Good movie though.

Louis Cypher, yeah, lol.

isaboo posted:

when Angel Heart came out I took a very devout Christian girl to see it and she was not happy!

kick rear end movie

50/50 on a handjob from getting a devout Christian girl all worked up like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Hirsute posted:

I recently watched the Castlevania series for the first time and was genuinely surprised how much I liked it, great animation, writing, character development, everything just worked for me in a way I never expected from a video game anime series. Hope this lives up to it!

I don’t think Shankar is part of it any more, hopefully it retains the brutality that made the first one so sick brah