Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

British people find the most nightmarish thing they can think of, slightly more country British people'.

The Heart of Darkness, the global hotbed of savage barabrism, a desolate landscape of death and suffering:

The West Midlands

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Tom Atkins. In anything.

This is slander against Tom Atkins.

Tom Atkins smells like cigarettes and whiskey.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hollismason posted:

This is slander against Tom Atkins.

Tom Atkins smells like cigarettes and whiskey.

This is hilarious because I just watched The Fog and texted a friend that my TV screen smelled like cigars and whiskey every time he appeared

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Gonz posted:

Watched Event Horizon for the first time in a few years. Goddamn, what great set design and overall dread conveyed by it. Just a big haunted sentient Gothic cathedral in outer space.

I hope that planned TV series eventually gets made. Fishburne said he’d love to come back and be a part of it if asked.

We really need any Warhammer live action series or movies to have this as required watching for everyone on production.

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I'll watch this, mainly because I love the horror subgenre of 'British people find the most nightmarish thing they can think of, slightly more country British people'.

Now that you said it, and reflecting on it, it's a very British variant of 'fear people outside of major cities'.

Liar Lyre
Jun 3, 2011

Here to deliver
~Bad Opinions~

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

drat, Hulu must have privated it. It was a trailer for Hulu's No One Will Save You which appears to be a home invasion movie but the invaders ARE ALIEN SPIDER MONSTERS?!

Here’s a new link. This looks like 100% my jam and I wish it was going theatrical instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcA02w6rm44

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

Horror thread, post your favorite horror movie cops/detectives who look like they smell like stale farts.

The cop from Dead Silence

Officer Mooney from Killer Klowns

Mooney literally had a Killer Klown with a hand up his corpses rear end so....

Monoclinic
Dec 10, 2005

I don't know what I expected Barbarian (2022) to be, but it wasn't that. Very entertaining movie.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If John Wick is a slasher movie then so is Taken

Need one of those galaxy brain gifs made for this ending with Rambo is a slasher

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Liar Lyre posted:

Here’s a new link. This looks like 100% my jam and I wish it was going theatrical instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IcA02w6rm44

gently caress yes more ufo alien invasion horror. had no idea this existed and now i'm psyched

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No One Will Save You gets it.

Greys can gently caress you up with psychic powers. Fling you around with a flick of the wrist.

Bout time people caught on

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Years ago my partner and I made a tongue-in-cheek horror movie alignment chart and let me tell you, it can be extremely fun arguing for things that are absolutely not horror movies.

I'm of the "horror is something I know when I see" camp, sure, but I love the John Wick example up there :allears: That kind of Diogenes-esque "behold, a man!" pedantry is something I live for.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Also the alien movie comes out the day after My birthday so I’ll stay up and watch it the second it drops. Extremely hyped

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I've been watching shuffled up episodes of a bunch of horror anthology series while I clean the house and uh, have I been sleeping on the first Twilight Zone reboot? Some of the episodes are sappy but I really liked The Beacon.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

If John Wick is a slasher movie then so is Taken

Need one of those galaxy brain gifs made for this ending with Rambo is a slasher

I don't know about TAKEN but John Wick is definitely a Death Elemental or some kind of saint or demon.

Like if you had a supernatural element of John being blessed by Santa Muerte at some point in his life it would fit with little or no other explanation.

quote:

A personification of death, she is associated with healing, protection, and safe delivery to the afterlife by her devotees.

Wick heals supernaturally(more so as the series goes on, lol he needs a doctor, stitches and a bottle of whiskey), he is protected in all manner of situations and is safely delivered to the afterlife once his #LifeGoals are met. Honestly it's a personal reading from the first movie I have being Hispanic and such.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

MariusLecter posted:

I don't know about TAKEN but John Wick is definitely a Death Elemental or some kind of saint or demon.

Like if you had a supernatural element of John being blessed by Santa Muerte at some point in his life it would fit with little or no other explanation.

Wick heals supernaturally(more so as the series goes on, lol he needs a doctor, stitches and a bottle of whiskey), he is protected in all manner of situations and is safely delivered to the afterlife once his #LifeGoals are met. Honestly it's a personal reading from the first movie I have being Hispanic and such.

i like this reading too. from the point of view of about a trillion deceased henchmen he is an unstoppable deathbringer named Baba Yaga.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

TheKingslayer posted:

I've been watching shuffled up episodes of a bunch of horror anthology series while I clean the house and uh, have I been sleeping on the first Twilight Zone reboot? Some of the episodes are sappy but I really liked The Beacon.

Every Twilight Zone reboot has had a handful of solid episodes, even the dire 2002 reboot. The vast majority of the series wasn't any good but some of the segments like Evergreen, Cold Fusion, or One Night at Mercy. Then again, it also gave us Sensuous Cindy, soooo...

The 80s series tends to drift into maudlin at times, but when it's firing on all cylinders, it's as great as some of the original series. To See the Invisible Man, Need to Know, or Profile in Silver could easily have been something Serling and co. did back in the 50s and nobody would have batted an eye.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

CelticPredator posted:

No One Will Save You gets it.

Greys can gently caress you up with psychic powers. Fling you around with a flick of the wrist.

Bout time people caught on

Then how come a rookie squaddie can take them out with one shot?

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSGeC880CYw

another trailer for The Exorcist: Believer dropped. parts of this look great but i'm still suspicious

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

alf_pogs posted:

i like this reading too. from the point of view of about a trillion deceased henchmen he is an unstoppable deathbringer named Baba Yaga.

If there was one of these in Wick's house or at any point in any of the series even just a blink and you miss it, I would have exploded.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

alf_pogs posted:

another trailer for The Exorcist: Believer dropped. parts of this look great but i'm still suspicious

This is gonna absolutely kill with the casual audience. Love it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Shrecknet posted:

Then how come a rookie squaddie can take them out with one shot?

They aren't omniscient, you can ambush a grey but God help you if you are in their field of vision.

e; or don't have a turn before them.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If I see a alien or anything that looks like an alien I will immediately attack with no quarter given and I will fight to kill.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

alf_pogs posted:

I'm gonna be a broken record and say I'm fuckin calling it that they're gonna do the Evangelion synchronized battle gimmick with an exorcism.

Also I'm still over possession movies.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Hollismason posted:

If I see a alien or anything that looks like an alien I will immediately attack with no quarter given and I will fight to kill.

Literally Hollismason

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

You can yell pig Latin at a grey and it will confuse it.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

You can yell pig Latin at a grey and it will confuse it.

Pretty sure the aliens from BLINDSIGHT book would see right though it and, well you know.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No I don’t know.

I don’t know what that is

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

CelticPredator posted:

No I don’t know.

I don’t know what that is

It’s a sci fi that sci fis so hard it becomes horror.

Absolutely dope book.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
It is a book where one of the characters is a space vampire and he's not the weirdest monster in the book

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Are they aliens cool greys and does it follow the grey ~~~lore~~~~

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Phy posted:

It is a book where one of the characters is a space vampire and he's not the weirdest monster in the book

Oh not what I want lol

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

No the aliens are truly alien and horrifying.

Like columns of fanged human spine that vibrate at the same frequency as your eye to turn invisible are the most approachable and understandable kinds of monsters, after the vampire.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Look going to be totally honest here I will also fly into a unstoppable rage of death and destruction if I encounter a supernatural event.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Seed of Chucky was a big improvement over Bride for me. Not that I disliked Bride, but it felt more like a parody of the first three movies than a continuation. Seed took those comedic sensibilities, refined them, and married them with the more grounded tone of the first three films. It was still an out-and-out comedy, but one that didn't feel like it was taking place in a goofy insincere late 90s cartoon. Tilly was top-notch here, and the whole meta thing really worked for me because it was well executed and not too winking, just played (comedically) real. I was really worried that Glenn/Glenda was going to be obnoxious, but I really liked what they ended up doing with them, especially how much they committed to going queer. John Waters was obviously great, I wish he had a bit more to do but drat if his face melting wasn't fantastic. That's the image I'd want on my obituary if I were him.

Also, I'm not usually one to talk about gore effects (I'm more of a goop man, myself), but I really enjoyed the sensibility behind them here. They had a toyetic quality to them, leaning more into stylized artistry than realism, but without going into cartoon territory. Severed necks and spilled intestines looked like they were out of a particularly good horror funhouse or wax museum than a film, and I really appreciated that.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Sep 6, 2023

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I’m so excited :hellyeah:

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Hollismason posted:

Look going to be totally honest here I will also fly into a unstoppable rage of death and destruction if I encounter a supernatural event.

Lmao as you headbutt Mr Tumnus.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
if i saw an alien i would just be normal about it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
if i was an alien i would just be normal about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger