Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

hear me out, what if chopper is played by a short guy in a suit and facepaint

honestly though, the show's production being committed to doing as much in physical cinematography was a big help to selling the cartoonier world. there's a netflix article and video that gives you a peek into some behind the scenes stuff including the big sets, the fishmen prosthetic makeup, it's wild.

the only way i could be disappointed with this show now is if i never get my hands on a physical release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I binged it over the long weekend and I enjoyed it. I think it works because it has a very clear idea of what it is and isn't ashamed at all of the source material.

The actors aren't doing Shakespeare, but they're totally committed to this absurd story and it works. It's like a better version of a CW fantasy show like Buffy shows or their Superhero stuff. Adventure TV done well.

I could never get into One Piece as a manga or anime, but this nailed just the right amount of sincerity and stupidity that makes anime/manga fun.

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCavyEzak-s

rl sanji is cool

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
So I was thinking last night that if this show compresses 32 hours of the anime into 8 hours and can hopefully expect more seasons, this show is still going to take a long rear end time to catch up to the manga

If there are 1000 episodes of the anime, that's approximately 500 hours of time, and 1/4 of that is 125 hours. If we get 8 1-hour episodes per season, that's over 15 years of episodes. And that assumes that there's a new season every year and that nothing goes wrong or slows down production and nobody leaves the show to go do other things, as is frequent in the industry

So I don't really think this show will keep going that long and if they do actually try to do that they're going to run into The Stranger Things Problem where all the actors get too old to look their parts and I wonder if they'd consider re-casting everyone after the time skip

This is all just rambling random thoughts so please don't take any of it too seriously

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008
Would be surprised if they make it that far, but the time skip could be a huge blessing for them in that case. Instead of recasting, just make the time skip more years. But yeah, assuming no one leaves anyway by that point and assuming this is able to keep going.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I'd point out that as the series goes on
1) the anime starts introducing non-canon filler arcs and generally extremely slow pacing (due to catching up with the manga) that the live action would not have to replicate
2) even leaving that aside fights start getting extremely long later on. I can't imagine the show would ever want to devote even one full episode to a single fight so a lot of those hours would naturally get cut out by a quicker conclusion
Not to say it'd be easy to catch up and finish the story but I think raw chapter/episode count is deceptive.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

I mean all this is irrelevant because Netflix almost never runs high-budget series past the first two or three anymore.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Also FWIW, the latter half of the manga is focused on longer arcs that are really full of glut. Enough so that they could still hit all the biggest highlights and not lose anything.

So while East Blue has 4-5 smaller arcs, later we get longer arcs of about that same total length. So I think it would be easier to condense since they focus on the same island/enemy. So you don't have to worry about setting up Buggy, then Kuro, then (the excised Don Krieg), then Arlong.

MiddleOne posted:

I mean all this is irrelevant because Netflix almost never runs high-budget series past the first two or three anymore.

Grace And Frankie appears to be the longest running series at 7 seasons from my cursory search. Just cast Jane Fonda as Kureha and I think we might be okay.

Teek fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Sep 5, 2023

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

I agree. Sanji's fighting was great. I hope next season we get to see legs on fire.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Next season would be the debut of Mr. Prince, which I'm way more excited for tbh.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Extremely strong opening 4 days here

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
I haven't read/seen the manga or anime, but I'm very much enjoying this.

And I respect how unafraid it is to go so goddamned weird in what certainly looks like faithfulness to the source material, and its complete unapologeticness in doing so. Yes, that is a pirate cosplaying as the Joker. Yes, one of those Marines is just a dude in a 1930s suit wearing a white jacket as a cape. Yes, that is a voice-mimicking snail-thing that people use variably as megaphones and telephones. You wanna loving make something of it, or should we go back to the dude who fights with three swords by keeping the extra one in his mouth kicking the rear end of a fat cook in half of a devil's mask? Oh, the lattter? Yeah, thought so.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

CapnAndy posted:

I haven't read/seen the manga or anime, but I'm very much enjoying this.

And I respect how unafraid it is to go so goddamned weird in what certainly looks like faithfulness to the source material, and its complete unapologeticness in doing so. Yes, that is a pirate cosplaying as the Joker. Yes, one of those Marines is just a dude in a 1930s suit wearing a white jacket as a cape. Yes, that is a voice-mimicking snail-thing that people use variably as megaphones and telephones. You wanna loving make something of it, or should we go back to the dude who fights with three swords by keeping the extra one in his mouth kicking the rear end of a fat cook in half of a devil's mask? Oh, the lattter? Yeah, thought so.

The fun part, to me, is that Bogard (suit Marine) is such a minor part of the original manga to the point that I had honestly forgotten about him. And yet here he is, adding a ton to each scene just by virtue of being cool-looking because the show runners just leaned into making the world as weird and yet as lived-in as the source material and not shying away from anything. It's a series that from chapter one lives and thrives on imagination and comedy combining with swashbuckling and serious elements. It's a deft balance and I'm glad even non-manga-fans are enjoying the adaptation!

Erin M. Fiasco fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Sep 5, 2023

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

MiddleOne posted:

A more pressing question is whether the finances exist to continue the production at this level, even if they wanted to, after the strikes resolve. It seems like the business model of streaming giants is fundamentally failing and it's possible that they just can't get the scratch to keep this going at this pace.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

As annoying as I'm starting to find it, it feels like the Mando Volume thing might be the best for this show, there are so many varied locations that just get more and more insane that the costs will Gum Gum Rocket up.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

The fun part, to me, is that Bogard (suit Marine) is such a minor part of the original manga to the point that I had honestly forgotten about him. And yet here he is, adding a ton to each scene just by virtue of being cool-looking because the show runners just leaned into making the world as weird and yet as lived-in as the source material and not shying away from anything. It's a series that from chapter one lives and thrives on imagination and comedy combining with swashbuckling and serious elements. It's a deft balance and I'm glad even non-manga-fans are enjoying the adaptation!

To be perfectly real, I figured he was either an original character or an adaptation of some other minor character from a future arc that I just didn't recognize, up until I saw screenshots/clips of the early Garp/Coby/Helmeppo stuff from the anime that had him in it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Teek posted:

Also FWIW, the latter half of the manga is focused on longer arcs that are really full of glut. Enough so that they could still hit all the biggest highlights and not lose anything.

So while East Blue has 4-5 smaller arcs, later we get longer arcs of about that same total length. So I think it would be easier to condense since they focus on the same island/enemy. So you don't have to worry about setting up Buggy, then Kuro, then (the excised Don Krieg), then Arlong.

Grace And Frankie appears to be the longest running series at 7 seasons from my cursory search. Just cast Jane Fonda as Kureha and I think we might be okay.

Jamie Lee Curtis already called dibs since she became a fan through her kid

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

bobjr posted:

Jamie Lee Curtis already called dibs since she became a fan through her kid

I'm aware, and that would be my preferred choice. Just joking about who the olds appear to like on Netflix already.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

TriffTshngo posted:

Next season would be the debut of Mr. Prince, which I'm way more excited for tbh.
Hell yeah

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Overall I still prefer the original manga. Part of that is just that comics are my preferred medium over TV shows, but I also think that the cuts and general trimming down of things from the plot have cost the story some of the pathos that I love so much. Usopp's fight with Chu is good example, where the live action version moves at a good clip, but loses the moment where Usopp has to confront and overcome his cowardice rather than play dead and let someone else handle Chu.

BUT, I also think that by doing all this trimming they made the right decision of focusing in more on the friendship between the core cast. For example, during the Baratie storyline you lose the whole Don Krieg fight, but you gain a ton of scenes of the Strawhats just chilling out, talking, and arguing with each other. You flesh out their characters and how they feel about each other and the main themes of the story.

Anyway, show is good. Crossing my fingers for a second season.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
As someone who has read the manga/watched the anime for years and years, I didn't think I'd like this but I did. I might rewatch it with the Japanese dub since they use the anime voice actors for it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
I finished this today and the only real complaint I had was overuse of the fisheye lens. I have no idea what they were going for with that. It didn't ruin anything for me but every time I noticed it I was just like "why?"

I was thinking about what next season might cover and I feel like they can probably get all the way through Alabasta in 8 episodes if they continue to trim the fat and streamline the plot

1 episode in Loguetown

1 episode for Reverse Mountain and Laboon

1 episode for the giants island and dino island

1 episode to get Chopper

the rest can be the Crocodile arc and the stinger at the end of episode 8 can be showing Nico Robin stowed away on the Merry

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
"Okay, so for the next set, we need an amusement park."
"Oh, as a base for the evil clown? That makes sense."
"What? No, keep up. This is where the shark-man lives."

Also, three questions:
Who set the bounty? Coby said it was someone's revenge, but I didn't catch the name.
Am I supposed to know who Cigar Guy was on the credits stinger, or is that a tease for people who already know this stuff?
And how on Earth is this crew making any money at all? They seem unwilling to take bounties and they don't do any, y'know, actual piracy.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

quote:

Also, three questions:
Who set the bounty? Coby said it was someone's revenge, but I didn't catch the name.
Am I supposed to know who Cigar Guy was on the credits stinger, or is that a tease for people who already know this stuff?
And how on Earth is this crew making any money at all? They seem unwilling to take bounties and they don't do any, y'know, actual piracy.

The Marines set bounties. Coby said it was Captain Nezumi's revenge. Nezumi was the rat looking guy who was extorting the fishmen for protection money and lying to Garp

The cigar guy in the stinger is for the existing fans. You don't see or hear about him in season 1

Nami is a thief. She always has money. Pirates don't collect bounties on each other because that requires dealing with the Marines and other than the 7 Warlords the Marines would just arrest the pirate trying to collect the bounty

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Elephant Ambush posted:

The cigar guy in the stinger is for the existing fans. You don't see or hear about him in season 1
Well, he did make an earlier appearance, but you'd have to know ahead of time that it was him.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

CapnAndy posted:

"Okay, so for the next set, we need an amusement park."
"Oh, as a base for the evil clown? That makes sense."
"What? No, keep up. This is where the shark-man lives."

Also, three questions:

It'll take like 10 years to get there but there's a legit sad reason for the amusement park.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CapnAndy posted:

Garp. As he warned Luffy, he was taking the gloves off. Throughout the season he resisted any efforts to let other marines except those under his direct control go after Luffy because he still thought he could convince him to give up his dream and become a marine. After Luffy finally got through to him that he was 10,000% committed he's now giving him the respect of letting him go for it without "protecting" him.

Edit: Actually I got that wrong, it was the mouse captain dude. But Garp would also have the authority to prevent that, and he didn't for the reasons above.

CapnAndy posted:

It's an Easter Egg for people already familiar with the manga/anime. The guy is the Marine Captain based in Logue Town (from the prologue where Roger was executed) whose job is to cut down pirates strong enough to have made it to a point where they feel capable of tackling the Grand Line.

CapnAndy posted:

They basically made it this far on good will, luck, and people basically giving them the stuff they needed. Stuff like Baratie shows what happens the first time Luffy runs into somebody who actually insists on making him pay money. It does make some moments like when they stock up on provisions before heading to Nami's island stand out because they definitely didn't have the money to pay for it. It's kind of lampshaded with the discussion between Nami and Luffy where he's positive he can just convince somebody to give him a ship while she keeps pointing out that people just don't give you poo poo for no reason.

Jerusalem fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Sep 6, 2023

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

I finished this today and the only real complaint I had was overuse of the fisheye lens. I have no idea what they were going for with that. It didn't ruin anything for me but every time I noticed it I was just like "why?"

I was thinking about what next season might cover and I feel like they can probably get all the way through Alabasta in 8 episodes if they continue to trim the fat and streamline the plot

1 episode in Loguetown

1 episode for Reverse Mountain and Laboon

1 episode for the giants island and dino island

1 episode to get Chopper

the rest can be the Crocodile arc and the stinger at the end of episode 8 can be showing Nico Robin stowed away on the Merry

I'd pace it out more like
Ep9: Loguetown and Reverse Mountain, end with Laboon cliffhanger
Ep10: Laboon & Whiskey Peak
Ep11-13: Little Garden & Drum Island
Ep14-16: Alabasta

Alabasta definitely needs a bit of extra breathing room for how big it is, I think, but I don't think condensing Little Garden or Drum Island down to 1 episode is a great idea, so I'd just give them 1.5 each, personally.

CapnAndy posted:

They kinda aren't. Any money we see them using is pretty much just Nami's stash from her latest trip around East Blue gathering funds for Arlong. It's possible Usopp or Sanji may have had a bit that they brought along as well (pure conjecture, obviously).

They do actually do a bit of piratey treasure nabbing later on but that stuff is often sidestepped by them getting rewarded for helping an island deal with an evil pirate and the villagers being grateful or whatever.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Funky Valentine posted:

Well, he did make an earlier appearance, but you'd have to know ahead of time that it was him.

When was that? Roger's execution?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Okay, thank you everybody. Two follow-up questions.

Elephant Ambush posted:

Coby said it was Captain Nezumi's revenge. Nezumi was the rat looking guy who was extorting the fishmen for protection money and lying to Garp
What was with that guy and Merry the lawyer anyway? I just assumed that there were animal people in the world because why wouldn't there be, but Arlong was talking up a strict fishmen/everyone else is humans dichotomy. Are there humans who just look like animals some times for the same reason people are born with blue hair, or are there other races that Arlong was papering over because they didn't fit his narrative?

Jerusalem posted:

They basically made it this far on good will, luck, and people basically giving them the stuff they needed. Stuff like Baratie shows what happens the first time Luffy runs into somebody who actually insists on making him pay money. It does make some moments like when they stock up on provisions before heading to Nami's island stand out because they definitely didn't have the money to pay for it. It's kind of lampshaded with the discussion between Nami and Luffy where he's positive he can just convince somebody to give him a ship while she keeps pointing out that people just don't give you poo poo for no reason.
And can anyone explain to me what piracy actually is to the people of that world? Because Luffy's facing the death penalty for, um... sailing around and helping people out. Is nautical knight-errancy a capital crime if you yell about being a pirate when you do it? Dude wasn't even flying a Jolly Roger at the time!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CapnAndy posted:

What was with that guy and Merry the lawyer anyway? I just assumed that there were animal people in the world because why wouldn't there be, but Arlong was talking up a strict fishmen/everyone else is humans dichotomy. Are there humans who just look like animals some times for the same reason people are born with blue hair, or are there other races that Arlong was papering over because they didn't fit his narrative?
There are indeed other races besides humans and fishmen but Nezumi and Merry are just normal humans who look weird.

There's a lot of ostensibly normal humans who look really weird in the One Piece world.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

socialsecurity posted:

As annoying as I'm starting to find it, it feels like the Mando Volume thing might be the best for this show, there are so many varied locations that just get more and more insane that the costs will Gum Gum Rocket up.

I am very sad we'll never see a Season 2 because I have no earthly idea how you do anything in the Grand Line proper on anything approaching a reasonable budget. Like the whole point of the series is visiting cool looking islands once and then leaving and never looking back again. Completely anathema to typical live-action television production. Only politics stuff detached from the Straw Hats themselves and the SH ship get reused consistently.

Anyway, aside from the weird obsession with fish-eye lens, the only changes that actually annoy me are Roger not ending his speech with "I left it all... in that place! and Luffy not giving his speech to Arlong about how all he can do well is fight and needs his crew for everything else useful, including lying. Other than that, hit all the right notes.

CapnAndy posted:

And can anyone explain to me what piracy actually is to the people of that world? Because Luffy's facing the death penalty for, um... sailing around and helping people out. Is nautical knight-errancy a capital crime if you yell about being a pirate when you do it? Dude wasn't even flying a Jolly Roger at the time!

Anyone who doesn't submit to the authority of the World Government (and the Marines that serve them), basically. Most pirates are like Buggy or Arlong, but you got a few benevolent weirdos like the Straw Hats, or just some straight up neutral crews that just kinda do their own thing in some weird corner of the world.

Doesn't matter. They don't bend and scrape the knee to the big WG, so they get wanted posters and bad publicity all the same. Control of media and narratives is a bit of theme with the authorities after this season.

Tree Reformat fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 6, 2023

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

CapnAndy posted:

Okay, thank you everybody. Two follow-up questions.

Just weird lookin' guys. One Piece character designs are loving wild. Sometimes people are just 12 feet tall and it's not a big deal, or even really remarked on at all. Hell, it was pretty jarring for me seeing Garp and Arlong being roughly the same height as Luffy.

quote:

And can anyone explain to me what piracy actually is to the people of that world?

To make a very very long story short: Pirates stand in opposition to the will of World Government, which is as powerful as you'd imagine a singular government in control of the entire world would be. They do not want another Gold Roger running around, no matter how good natured, helpful, murderous, destructive, etc. they may be.

TriffTshngo fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Sep 6, 2023

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

CapnAndy posted:

There are other races. Lots of them actually. Arlong was an anti-racist/speciesist but also a fishman supremacist

quote:

Most pirates are what we normally think of. Pillaging and looting and stuff. Part of the narrative is that people like Luffy and Shanks are pirates but not evil. At one point early in the story Luffy says "Being a pirate is about freedom and chasing your dreams" but almost none of the other pirates think that way

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
The World Government are not good guys. It's hinted at in this season but generally speaking the more you learn the worse it gets. Them putting bounties on people who don't deserve it is just a matter of course really.

Tree Reformat
Apr 2, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
You even saw a bit of that narrative distortion this season with that Nezumi rear end in a top hat. He straight up fabricated a lie about how Luffy and his crew razed a village to the ground. If anyone other than Garp had been told that story? It would have propagated all the way up the command chain and out into the newspapers as the unvarnished truth, and everyone would believe it, no questions asked.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
Yeah there's a long running theory among some fans that The One Piece is basically some kind of irrefutable proof that the World Government were basically turbo Nazis and covered up all the horrible atrocities they committed to gain power over the whole world

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

CapnAndy posted:

Even just looking at only what happened in this first season, Luffy:

- Resisted arrest multiple times.
- Attacked/assaulted/damaged a Navy Vice Admiral's ship
- Got into a massive brawl with a rival pirate group (Arlong's) resulting in multiple deaths.
- Defeated multiple pirate captains with high bounties, including Arlong.
- Assaulted a Marine Captain (Nami whacking Nezumi).
- While doing all this has repeatedly and loudly and exuberantly proclaimed he is a pirate and plans to become the King of the Pirates.

Part of what they do a bit better in the manga in my opinion is showcasing how much of a disconnect between what the Navy/Government think is wrong vs. what the people think. I was really hoping when Garp showed up to arrest Luffy in the last episode that the villagers were gonna angrily denounce the Navy for turning a blind eye for so long to Arlong basically using their island as his own personal little playground.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

Yeah there's a long running theory among some fans that The One Piece is basically some kind of irrefutable proof that the World Government were basically turbo Nazis and covered up all the horrible atrocities they committed to gain power over the whole world

There’s literally an entire elite class within the government that are not only above all laws but marines are duty bound to protect them if anyone actually tries to stop their atrocities

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost

Larryb posted:

There’s literally an entire elite class within the government that are not only above all laws but marines are duty bound to protect them if anyone actually tries to stop their atrocities

I'm a filthy casual so please correct me if I'm wrong but the general public doesn't know that, right? And that's kind of the point? To expose all of this to everyone so that there will be some sort of global regular people revolution?