Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

What is that haircut

scarier than anything in his books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
"He looks like a matchstick so the book is probably fire." lmao.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

theblackw0lf posted:

What are some good books that deal with first alien contact? Especially ones that explore the human response in interesting ways.

Remnant Population. I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, still a good book!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Wow, that's somehow exactly what I would have expected Koontz to look like judging only from his appearance on Midnight Pals.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

mllaneza posted:

Remnant Population. I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago, still a good book!

Strange, couldn’t find it when I looked through your previous recent posts. Not sure how I’m missing it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

theblackw0lf posted:

What are some good books that deal with first alien contact? Especially ones that explore the human response in interesting ways.

The Sparrow.

Maybe obvious answer: Contact.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

Chairman Capone posted:

The Sparrow.

Maybe obvious answer: Contact.

Read both of those. Actually was thinking of doing a re-read of Contact as it’s been a couple decades since I read it and have forgotten pretty much everything (forgetting things does have it’s benefits).

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

theblackw0lf posted:

Blindsight

The Sparrow (as long as you ignore the author's intentions for it)

Spin by Robert Charles Wilson in a very weird way

Lagoon by Nnedi Okorafor

Rosewater by Tade Thompson

Solaris/The Invincible/Fiasco by Stanislaw Lem

Roadside Picnic by the Strugatsky brothers, and the related Tarkovsky movie "Stalker"

Three Body Problem

Shitloads of others I'm too vile to remember

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

General Battuta posted:

The Sparrow (as long as you ignore the author's intentions for it)

oh no what

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

theblackw0lf posted:

Strange, couldn’t find it when I looked through your previous recent posts. Not sure how I’m missing it.

Must have been in a different thread.

In RP, an old woman decides to stay behind when her colony goes bankrupt and is evacuated. She can't be bothered to pull up stakes and move again. She stays behind with her garden and, finally!, some peace and quiet. Turns out this wasn't an uninhabited world after all.

The weird part for me is that my mother would absolutely do that.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
he's rocking the Hudson haircut from Tears of the Kingdom lol

Presumably he requested to do this video given he's under Amazon and they have infinite money for marketing, but... well, it's certainly memorable! and also sorta resembles a hostage video

It's delightful to know he's as weird in person as his books imply (Stephen King has the opposite problem)

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I posted this over in YOSPOS but I really feel 36 Streets deserves more eyes on it
Oh god yeah. It starts, and I guess finishes, as spectacularly entertaining cyberpunk-genre fiction, but it’s so much more.

I just finished it and I’m genuinely affected in a way I generally turn to genre fiction to avoid. I have personal reasons to be more affected by this novel than most, but wow.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

BadOptics posted:

Technically not aliens!!!!

Only technically, and this stops applying by book 2.

StonecutterJoe
Mar 29, 2016

Rand Brittain posted:

Wow, that's somehow exactly what I would have expected Koontz to look like judging only from his appearance on Midnight Pals.

I'm expecting him to start crying because someone says they don't like dogs.

The Sweet Hereafter
Jan 11, 2010

mllaneza posted:

Must have been in a different thread.

In RP, an old woman decides to stay behind when her colony goes bankrupt and is evacuated. She can't be bothered to pull up stakes and move again. She stays behind with her garden and, finally!, some peace and quiet. Turns out this wasn't an uninhabited world after all.

The weird part for me is that my mother would absolutely do that.

I think it's still included in the Audible free to members section too, if that helps. I listened to it after a rec in this thread and really enjoyed it. I also recently read Declare and Alien: The Cold Forge based on thread recs and they were both fantastic. Picked up more books by both authors as a result.

I'm currently reading and enjoying In Ascension, which is on the Booker long list. I would warn against the Audible version for that, though, it nearly killed the book for me before I switched to a hard copy instead.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
There was a pretty interesting article about Koontz earlier this year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2023/05/03/dean-koontz/

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009
Just finished reading Petition (Resonance Crystal Legacy Book 1) by Delilah Waan (hi!)

It was pretty good, lot of showing not telling, lot of off screen world building that is either wallpaper or important to the plot but not really elaborated on.

I did find it a bit confusing to follow at times but not to the detriment of enjoying the read and it was definitely less action that a lot of the fantasy I have read lately. There's a heap of politics that the main character doesn't understand and we really only see her viewpoint so it's happening around the book, influencing it but not directly addressed.

Interesting magic that seems to be either based on reading and influencing people or using stored energy in crystals to perform tasks - again this is an important part of the plot but treated like you would a tap - no Stephenson infodumps or David Webber ordering a pizza here.

When's the next one out?

Moonlit Knight
Nov 26, 2018

I'd be interested to hear about this too, having liked The Sparrow a lot.

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Moonlit Knight posted:

I'd be interested to hear about this too, having liked The Sparrow a lot.

It’s described in an afterword in some editions. She consciously wrote it to be an apologia for Christopher Columbus and his actions in the new world, her idea being that his atrocities, slave taking, etc were mistakes borne of “radical ignorance”. She was reacting to the broader cultural reappraisal of him that accompanied the 500th anniversary of his voyage, trying to get back some of his gloss as a good, if flawed, man.

I quite liked the Sparrow when I first read it but it’s a bit like Fahrenheit 451, where the author explaining their intent and conception of their own work makes it come off as a cruder and worse book.

GhastlyBizness fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Sep 6, 2023

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

GhastlyBizness posted:

It’s described in an afterword in some editions. She consciously wrote it to be an apologia for Christopher Columbus and his actions in the new world, her idea being that his atrocities, slave taking, etc were mistakes borne of “radical ignorance”. She was reacting to the broader cultural reappraisal of him that accompanied the 500th anniversary of his voyage, trying to get back some of his gloss as a good, if flawed, man.

lmao wtf :psyduck:

I'm glad the edition I read didn't have that included, it might have overshadowed how much I liked the book if I'd seen it right after.

mystes
May 31, 2006

GhastlyBizness posted:

I quite liked the Sparrow when I first read it but it’s a bit like Fahrenheit 451, where the author explaining their intent and conception of their own work makes it come off as a cruder and worse book.
wow I had no idea lol

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

DurianGray posted:

lmao wtf :psyduck:

I'm glad the edition I read didn't have that included, it might have overshadowed how much I liked the book if I'd seen it right after.

Having read a synopsis of the book that says one of the priests gets raped and put through the local equivalent of footbinding but it's OK in the end because the experience helps him recover his lost faith, I'm not sure why you need authorial intent to have a yikes moment. Perhaps it's not entirely accurate, but still.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Jedit posted:

Having read a synopsis of the book that says one of the priests gets raped and put through the local equivalent of footbinding but it's OK in the end because the experience helps him recover his lost faith, I'm not sure why you need authorial intent to have a yikes moment. Perhaps it's not entirely accurate, but still.
I don't think that is presented as good in the book

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Jedit posted:

Oh it is very yikes but initially, I read it as a fairly profound critique of catholicism. The above is kinda like finding out Orwell was intending Animal Farm to be an apologia for the meat industry.

RDM
Apr 6, 2009

I LOVE FINLAND AND ESPECIALLY FINLAND'S MILITARY ALLIANCES, GOOGLE FINLAND WORLD WAR 2 FOR MORE INFORMATION SLAVA UKRANI

Jedit posted:

You'll enjoy other technically accurate book synopses like "1984 is a book about a man who cheats on his wife and then regrets it" and "Jurassic Park is about two children bonding with surrogate parents".

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Jedit posted:

Having read a synopsis of the book that

probly should have just bailed on writing the post at this point

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Jedit posted:

I mean, if you go into the book already thinking that the Catholic church is flawless and perfect maybe you could force that reading out of it, but I would agree with others that that is a misleading synopsis and absolutely not the impression I left the book with.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Yeah, uh, that's one tendentious reading of what the Sparrow is about. Yikes. It's not even fully accurate!

It's a personal favorite of mine, and I strongly recommend it.

e: Looking at an interview where she talks about her own take on her book, it seems to be less about Columbus qua Columbus than the overall European interaction with American civilizations. Which is more defensible, but still too kind to the likes of Cortes, Pizzaro, and even Magellan. The majority of deaths caused by Europeans in the Americas was through diseases and it was 400 years prior to the wide acceptance of germ theory. Likewise, the fall of the Triple Alliance was catalyzed by the Spanish expedition, but only occurred because of how loving awful they were to their imperial subjects and how ready to rebel those subjects were. That fits better with the portrayal of the missionaries and what results from their misunderstandings borne of ignorance, rather than the unredeemable cruelty of Columbus. Maybe she's tying it more to Columbus in the afterword that's in the books themselves, but I don't have a copy of that.

habeasdorkus fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 6, 2023

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Megazver posted:

There was a pretty interesting article about Koontz earlier this year:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/books/2023/05/03/dean-koontz/

He's a...peculiar fellow.

I knew about his love of golden retrievers so I could breathe easy that the dog in the current Koontz book I was reading would be fine but nope! Beheaded on the porch in the second chapter.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

zoux posted:

I knew about his love of golden retrievers so I could breathe easy that the dog in the current Koontz book I was reading would be fine but

SF&F Megathread: Beheaded on the porch in the second chapter.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
metal gear wiki 3: yikes hunter

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

zoux posted:

I knew about his love of golden retrievers so I could breathe easy that the dog in the current Koontz book I was reading would be fine but nope! Beheaded on the porch in the second chapter.

I think I've read that one!

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.

Gaius Marius posted:

What is that haircut
I'd say it's like Ken Burns but really it's more like Ken Burns' hair is trying to approach the majesty of Koontz's

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

GhastlyBizness posted:

Oh, loooord. I'm lucky to have read The Sparrow before that afterword was after.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Jimbozig posted:

I'd say it's like Ken Burns but really it's more like Ken Burns' hair is trying to approach the majesty of Koontz's

I mean, it's definitely a hair piece right?

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Awkward Davies posted:

I mean, it's definitely a hair piece right?

Allegedly it's a hair transplant.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't Mary Doria Russell change her religious views later in life? I wonder how that impacted, or if it was in time to impact, her metaphor for The Sparrow when she wrote the sequel (which I haven't read, but would still like to read someday).

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

zoux posted:

Keep reading, you'll understand.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
He somehow manages to involve a dog into everything he does and has now topped that list to "included in a commercial for my book". He's 77 I think, so I can't really fault him for, well, anything. Hair, dog love, etc. Dude made a career out of writing weird poo poo, found a way to include dogs, and bought the... hair he wanted. He's living his best life.

Oh yea, new murderbot short story/novella on Amazon. Found it the other day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

torgeaux posted:

Keep reading, you'll understand.

Showing up with the identical dog the very next day kind of gave it away. The PI just went to meet with the crazy cult lady, that's where I'm at, and it seems to me that he's setting it up so the kid is the antichrist, or is mistakenly so, but that there is indeed some supernatural apocalyptic poo poo going on

We've all been traumatized by Dog Death, in fact for many of us it was our first sad book, and to be betrayed in this manner by our nation's foremost golden retriever liker...

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

He somehow manages to involve a dog into everything he does and has now topped that list to "included in a commercial for my book". He's 77 I think, so I can't really fault him for, well, anything. Hair, dog love, etc. Dude made a career out of writing weird poo poo, found a way to include dogs, and bought the... hair he wanted. He's living his best life.