Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

That Works posted:

:toot:

I remember that feeling from a few years ago.

I remember how excited we were when Tammy laid an egg after a couple weeks with us. Goes to show how crappy her previous situation was that she hadn't been laying despite being an adult.

And then again when we got more than one egg in a day, meaning one of the new hens was all grown up :allears:

It never ceases to amaze me that these little feathery creatures are just nature's incredibly efficient machines for somehow converting crumbles into magical eggs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Elmon posted:

Got my first egg yesterday!

Congratulations on the most expensive egg you will ever hold (next one is 50% cheaper, I think).

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

I found my first three eggs at once. They were a bit hidden. They were also from our youngest two chickens, but that isn’t surprising because they are a production breed so they started like a month before anyone else

BHB
Aug 28, 2011
First egg day is a beautiful day, congrats.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Yay for eggs!

I have 4 layers out of the 10 that are old enough, 3 use an approved location and 1 has to lay hers in the sand under a pile of branches. I put some hay in there to reduce the sand stuck to the egg and she got so mad she laid her egg on the path instead. She won and I removed the hay.

In roo news, our oldest cockerel has decided to start attacking people. He went after Mr.Joburg on Saturday and me today so his number is up. After my years of good roosters it is very disheartening to have raised three human-aggressive cockerels this year.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

ah, that is the worst! i ended up with two very aggressive little red bantam boys. all the other little guys are sweet but the two red ones run up and bite me. it's a shame because they're pretty :(

thanks for the GA lab option. i got my NPIP package today and it included a USDA number to call for free testing of unknown bird illness, so i'll try that first and see where it leads

it also has a nice chicken calendar with cute chick pics :henget:

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Went to close up the coop. Look at these idiots.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
:lmao:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

love them. look at how dominant they are, how proud.

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

So we're going to have to rehome Florette. She just will not stop mounting and attacking poor Abbaye. Abbaye has lost feathers off her wing "wrist" and now the spot between them. Florette's the only one who is this mean. She's also broody a lot, so hopefully someone will take her to brood eggs. She'd likely make a good mom hen, but she just can't get over her hatred of Abbaye (who none of the rest have a problem with).

Any suggestions on where to rehome? We don't want her ending up in a pot if at all possible!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't want to jinx it, but giving away a young, healthy laying Olive Egger should be very easy.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Make sure your honest about why you're giving her away though, you don't want to paint a rosy picture and then have someone complaining that you gave them a demon chicken

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Scientastic posted:

Make sure your honest about why you're giving her away though, you don't want to paint a rosy picture and then have someone complaining that you gave them a demon chicken

A broody demon chicken.

I got one of those from a poultry swap once. The owner was looking for anyone to take her for free. She turned out to be my favorite hen: friendly to people (except when she had chicks), completely bitchy to the flock, the fiercest mama.

RIP Blazer.

(She is about to attack me in this pic, I was way too close for her liking.)

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Well, that was easy. Turns out Mrs. Underbridge has a coworker with a small farm. With chickens. They get to free range during the day, there's roosters, and she takes good care of her flock. I'm driving her down on Sunday (about 40 minutes away).

She even sent a pic of one of the roosters, and it's the same glossy black with metallic green sheen that she is.

Hopefully, she'll get to spend her days brooding over fertile eggs and raising chicks. Still debating if we need a baby chick to keep the flock at 6. But it's kind of late in the year for that.

I will want to hear reports on her and her new home.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Had a little scare this morning where the girls (who have been digging a lot and kicking around their woodchips and bedding) managed to block their door closed. Thankfully it seems like it happened very recently this morning, the ones stuck inside with only food ran out to guzzle water while the ones outside dashed inside to get food. I'm going to look into safety measures I can implement to keep that door from being accidentally closed by them again.

About two hours later everyone is content. I went out to see what a bluejay was screaming about nonstop and found this cuddle puddle in their yard:

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Dropped Florette off today. Once I got her in hand, she was calm, and she didn't seem to mind the box much. During the 40-minute drive, she was moving around in the box and occasionally pecking. Even had to cross a state line to get there.

I wasn't exactly sure which house it was, since it was off a country road and the houses had letters attached to the number. I knew I had the place when there was a roo strutting around the vast lawn, a bunch of ducks were cooling off under their truck, and more hens were pecking around.

It looks like a great place for her. The woman said she'd keep my wife informed on how she was doing.

Now, hopefully, Abbaye can regrow her feathers. I got the rest a huge bag of worms to distract them from the missing hen.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

MrUnderbridge posted:

Dropped Florette off today.
Enjoy your new family, Florette.

In other news, it's Nova's 4th birthday today.

(Nova, bottom step, enjoying the sunshine with the other hens)

5er
Jun 1, 2000

'Become Ungovernable' is possibly my favorite bird name of all time and I am delighted every time I'm reminded of it.

City of Glompton
Apr 21, 2014

spookygonk posted:

Enjoy your new family, Florette.

In other news, it's Nova's 4th birthday today.

(Nova, bottom step, enjoying the sunshine with the other hens)

happy birthday Nova, i hope she got lots of treats :love:

5er posted:

'Become Ungovernable' is possibly my favorite bird name of all time and I am delighted every time I'm reminded of it.

:agreed:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

MrUnderbridge posted:

Dropped Florette off today. Once I got her in hand, she was calm, and she didn't seem to mind the box much. During the 40-minute drive, she was moving around in the box and occasionally pecking. Even had to cross a state line to get there.

Mann Act violation spotted! :v:
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/mann_act

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Meet our new flock, the spice girls. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Nigella and Pepper. (2 Isa Browns, an Australorp x New Hampshire, and a White Leghorn x New Hampshire)

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe

Beardcrumb posted:

Meet our new flock, the spice girls. Cinnamon, Nutmeg, Nigella and Pepper. (2 Isa Browns, an Australorp x New Hampshire, and a White Leghorn x New Hampshire)

Those are some lovely hens! Congratulations!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Pepper looks like she understands the assignment and is trying for a sassy pinup pose :allears:

Why Nigella for the break in the spice names, out of curiosity?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Pepper looks like she understands the assignment and is trying for a sassy pinup pose :allears:

Why Nigella for the break in the spice names, out of curiosity?

Nigella is famously pretty spicy

Beardcrumb
Sep 24, 2018

An absolute gronk with a face like a chewed mango.
Nigella is a spice we use a lot at home, also known as black cumin!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Scientastic posted:

Nigella is famously pretty spicy

:hmmyes:

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Beardcrumb posted:

All adorable!

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
A friend, very confidently: chickens can't jump!

Me: hold this grape.

freeedr
Feb 21, 2005

ynohtna posted:

BHB
Aug 28, 2011

ynohtna posted:

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/mellifexfarm/status/1699173060375453727/photo/2

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

ynohtna posted:

Me: hold this pombear.

Joburg
May 19, 2013

Fun Shoe
Today the chickens found a snake out in the woods.

I think it was an Eastern King Snake but I’m not certain. After a while it got upset at the attention and feinted at them a couple times then left in a hurry.

https://youtube.com/watch?v=EDPRpne3c1c&si=hbu_FussEwMDZkah

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Today Voltrarr is inside to keep Peanut Hamper company for her training sessions.

The other side of her face is almost all white, she has a very unique look. She's suspicious of this new development, though.

w4ddl3d33
Sep 30, 2022

BIKE HARDER, YOUNG BLOOD
one of my sweet little quail boys passed away - i'm not sure if any of you remember house and wilson, but last week wilson flew into his final wall, and that night he snuggled up in his favourite box filled with shredded newspaper and fell asleep for the last time.

they're dumb as rocks but they get into your heart. i'll never forget my little mango man, my sweet little rowdy coconut on legs

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Roost in Peace tiny featherbundle ❤️

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
Aw, no. :(

Good night, Wilson.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I haven't posted Ft. Clux in a while. I repurposed some old kid stuff and moved tree limbs that fell during storms.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I love their little jungle gym :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

The kids outgrew it so I thought it would be another great hawk hideaway for them.