Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Anyone know good/entertaining book podcasts or YouTubes?

Like the DLC podcast but for books

I got into the Brandon Sanderson podcast and he’s interesting, surprisingly wide amount of subjects (including depression), but not exactly book focused

I really like the Sean McTiernan podcasting universe and he's been doing a great Science Fiction podcast focused on more obscure books called SF Ultra

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/sfultra/id1241776225

His patreon episodes on True Crime books and queer fiction are great as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus
Sean McTiernan’s good stuff, it’s fun to see someone come to Delaney (and be extremely passionate about Delaney) through his autobiographical gay fiction rather than his science fiction.

I quite enjoyed the Canonical podcast, though they stopped rather abruptly a while back. It had a nice themed approach, like here’s a short series on contemporary Korean fiction, on utopian books, on postmodern books from the South, on campus novels, etc. They always have them the time and detail they deserved.

Death//Sentence and Spine Crackers are fun too, if less detailed in some ways.

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
I mismanaged my Libby queue and now I’m stuck without a book and everything is multiple weeks until available :(

Also, I’m ashamed to admit this but the gamification on the Kindle app is very effective on me. I’ve read 24 books this year and number go up has been effective at keeping me reading.

(FWIW many of those were Murderbot books which are very short and very quick reads)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Awkward Davies posted:

I mismanaged my Libby queue and now I’m stuck without a book and everything is multiple weeks until available :(

Also, I’m ashamed to admit this but the gamification on the Kindle app is very effective on me. I’ve read 24 books this year and number go up has been effective at keeping me reading.

(FWIW many of those were Murderbot books which are very short and very quick reads)

Archive.org has a library system, you can borrow books from there

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Archive.org has a library system, you can borrow books from there

Oh hell yeah, didn’t know that. Thank you!

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Awkward Davies posted:

when i first signed up on goodreads some 10 years ago i set a challenge at 25 books, but then i kept reupping it and ended up reading 60 books in that year. got about 25 books into the second year and then i stopped using any kind of book tracking software since

i actually liked registering my stuff but the gamification just entirely hit the wrong spot and now i get annoyed just by search engines suggesting the site lol

be careful i guess

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Carthag Tuek posted:

when i first signed up on goodreads some 10 years ago i set a challenge at 25 books, but then i kept reupping it and ended up reading 60 books in that year. got about 25 books into the second year and then i stopped using any kind of book tracking software since

i actually liked registering my stuff but the gamification just entirely hit the wrong spot and now i get annoyed just by search engines suggesting the site lol

be careful i guess

I did something similar to that, failed a "read 100 books in a year" challenge and got mad, so what I do now is set the challenge to 10 books every year and see if I can beat that and by how much.

This year I've read 14 books :toot:

ps if you ever need to really game this thing, read (or reread) the Animorph series

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

lol

now i use ibooks/books.app which notoriously resets everything once in a while so i honestly have no idea. as a guess im gonna say i read around 25-30 books a year? its annoying when i want to look up a thing like "that quote from the book with the other thing i read i think last summer?", but ultimately its kind of liberating to not really have that info

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I understand that the pursuit of higher numbers can result in bad things. One aspect I like about it right now is that it motivates me to pick up a new book after finishing one.

However, one thing I’ve noticed is that it does make it harder to dig into big complicated books. For example, I started the Dawn of Humanity by David’s Graeber and Wengrow in the beginning of the year and then got stuck a little over half way through. I’ve got 250 ish pages to go and it’s going to be a heavy lift. I want to finish it, but I also could go off and read another five Inspector Montalbano mystery novels in the same amount of time, and then number go up.

My goal for the year is 26 books so I should probably just finish Dawn of Humanity.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
i set my goodreads to one (1) book a year so i get the confetti and the congratulations messages and other gameified rewards but also feel like i'm getting away with a minor computer crime, which feels good as well

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Awkward Davies posted:

However, one thing I’ve noticed is that it does make it harder to dig into big complicated books. For example, I started the Dawn of Humanity by David’s Graeber and Wengrow in the beginning of the year and then got stuck a little over half way through. I’ve got 250 ish pages to go and it’s going to be a heavy lift. I want to finish it, but I also could go off and read another five Inspector Montalbano mystery novels in the same amount of time, and then number go up.

i say give it an honest go but taking breaks is fine, reading shouldnt be a chore.

theres no shame in putting a book aside and trying it again later. the first time i tried alexievich it was a danish translation that didnt work for me. a couple years later i read the english translation and loved it. possibly because its so intense that it needs to be a foreign language for me to stand it? idk but im glad i waited for the right circumstance

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Tree Goat posted:

i set my goodreads to one (1) book a year so i get the confetti and the congratulations messages and other gameified rewards but also feel like i'm getting away with a minor computer crime, which feels good as well

Goodreads agent reading this: Captain, we found him! Dispatch GoodSWAT team now now now

I also failed the 100 books challenge lol, I can do it but I’d have to give up movies and video games, or internet browsing, so that’s a no

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
Mr. Difficult is a funny podcast about Jonathan Franzen. The hosts, who are relatively young NYC literary figures, read and discuss every book by Jonathan Franzen, with guests.

The premise is that Jonathan Franzen is a good and even important writer, but also bad and annoying in various ways.

They have been threatening a follow-up focused on David Foster Wallace for a year now.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Tree Goat posted:

inspired by you saying this last year this year I set mine to 5, much less psychologically demanding to have it done early for sure

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That essay is one of the worst things I've ever read. I even partially agree with him regarding JR, but his case is so poorly constructed you lose all sympathy with him before you even get to his point.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I tried setting reading challenges years ago, but it didn't really do anything for me, so I stopped. I do still like keeping track of what I read, though, and being able to look at long-term trends in amount read, genre mix, favourite authors, etc. I do all of that offline, though.

I did prefer the old Booklord Challenge ones that were prompts to read specific books/authors/genres/styles, or more generally things that encouraged mixing up your reading some, rather than just "read X books in Y time", but in the end I decided I didn't enjoy either.

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate
Is Goodreads broken for anyone else. I was looking at political books and half of the books that I was recommended where vampire romance novels. I like a romance novel as much as the next person but while I’m looking for politics.

This will be the first year I won’t make my Goodreads challenge as I got stuck on a couple of lovely books. I did break 1000 books in 9 years this year however.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I've switched over to Storygraph to track my reading, and I like it a lot more than Goodreads. I don't use it for much more than just tracking what I've read, but the graphs and suchlike are pretty neat.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't imagine trying to use Goodreads to find a book to read, their recommendations are either horrible, pushing anything that has the same or similar title or author rather than any actual connection to anything, or other editions of works you've already read, I can assure you my first inclination on finishing The Red and The Black was not to read the same tale told again but translated differently.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I use the site to see the reads of the few dozen people whose taste I find interesting.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

cptn_dr posted:

I've switched over to Storygraph to track my reading, and I like it a lot more than Goodreads. I don't use it for much more than just tracking what I've read, but the graphs and suchlike are pretty neat.

Yeah I started using Storygraph this year, and it's great to just track what you read. I also really like the graphs.

The recommendation function actually managed to recommend a couple books that I've really enjoyed, which is a surprising bonus.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

it's great that the social aspect on storygraph is really toned down from what goodreads are doing, and at the same time you still have all the nonsensical 1 star reviews of classics to lol at if you want

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Where do you guys get recommendations for new books? Specifically new non-fiction books, could be about any topic. I remember the Economist having a good selection, but that was like decades ago that I checked.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

busalover posted:

Where do you guys get recommendations for new books? Specifically new non-fiction books, could be about any topic. I remember the Economist having a good selection, but that was like decades ago that I checked.

Here, in the history book thread.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

On the subject of history books, what are some books that would be recommended if I wanted to just generally improve my knowledge of history, assuming most of what I know is based on vague recollections of poorly taught high school history classes? I'd be happy with books on specific subjects, I'm just looking for what would be the "everybody should read this/know these things" kind of history books.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

MockingQuantum posted:

On the subject of history books, what are some books that would be recommended if I wanted to just generally improve my knowledge of history, assuming most of what I know is based on vague recollections of poorly taught high school history classes? I'd be happy with books on specific subjects, I'm just looking for what would be the "everybody should read this/know these things" kind of history books.

The Evans Third Reich trilogy If you want to really know what nazism was, how it took over the entire German society and did everything it did. Adam Tooze’s The Wages of Destruction to learn how the Nazi economy was not even close to the usual myths of Hitler giving jobs to everyone and putting a car in every garage etc.

Eric Hobsbawm’s Ages tetralogy to cover the 1798-1990 era that gave us the modern world. Both Evans and Hobsbawm are also very good writers, so reading them is a joy.

The Best and the Brightest to understand why America bungled Vietnam, A Bright Shining Lie to understand how they did it.

The Great War for Civilization: the Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk for all your middle eastern needs.

These are some of my all time favorites. Let us know if you want something more specific based on period or area.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The Evans Third Reich trilogy If you want to really know what nazism was, how it took over the entire German society and did everything it did. Adam Tooze’s The Wages of Destruction to learn how the Nazi economy was not even close to the usual myths of Hitler giving jobs to everyone and putting a car in every garage etc.

Eric Hobsbawm’s Ages tetralogy to cover the 1798-1990 era that gave us the modern world. Both Evans and Hobsbawm are also very good writers, so reading them is a joy.

The Best and the Brightest to understand why America bungled Vietnam, A Bright Shining Lie to understand how they did it.

The Great War for Civilization: the Conquest of the Middle East by Robert Fisk for all your middle eastern needs.

These are some of my all time favorites. Let us know if you want something more specific based on period or area.

These are great, thank you! I don't have any particular goal with this, my thought was to start with books that are generally recommended as just good reads, and kind of follow where that leads me as I inevitably encounter something that makes me think "oh hey I'd like to know more about that too"

I think the only specific subjects I would like to hit at some point are:

-General US history (though I have Howard Zinn's A People's History of the US which seems to be generally recommended)
-The Roman empire
-Japanese history (especially around the Sengoku era)
-Chinese history, though I know nothing at all about it so I don't have a specific era in mind
-General European history (kind of anything, but in particular the exploration age, the Napoleonic era, French Revolution era though not exclusively French history, and whatever you'd call Shakespeare's era up until the French Revolution)

Doc Fission
Sep 11, 2011

I think at some point we should do a book bracket or ranking because sometimes I see a "greatest books of so-and-so decade" list and it bums me out

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Doc Fission posted:

I think at some point we should do a book bracket or ranking because sometimes I see a "greatest books of so-and-so decade" list and it bums me out

https://thegreatestbooks.org/

1 . In Search of Lost Time by Marcel Proust <--- never heard of it
2 . Ulysses by James Joyce <---- tried reading it once, not for me
3 . Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes <---- OK valid this one can stay
4 . One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez <----- haven't read
5 . The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald <------ I will invent a time machine to go back to fitzgerald and stop him from writing this to save me from the most interminably boring high school semester (followed by preventing mark twain from writing huck finn. he may write everything else but not that one)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

That said if we did do a book barn-wide "greatest books" I'd be honestly curious about the spread of sci-fi/fantasy vs fiction vs history novels vs the aubrey-maturin brigade. Goons have varied tastes but they fuckin' love boat books.

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
By Duverger's Law, a majoritarian book election will inevitably diverge into a two party system of SFF vs Boats

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

StrixNebulosa posted:

5 . The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald <------ I will invent a time machine to go back to fitzgerald and stop him from writing this to save me from the most interminably boring high school semester (followed by preventing mark twain from writing huck finn. he may write everything else but not that one)

Great Gatsby is pretty good, just read it a couple years ago. Holds up well?

100 years of solitude fuckin sucks imo

The rest I haven’t read, but definitely heard about. probably essential books for “serious readers” whatever that means

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

Great Gatsby is pretty good, just read it a couple years ago. Holds up well?

100 years of solitude fuckin sucks imo

The rest I haven’t read, but definitely heard about. probably essential books for “serious readers” whatever that means

I honestly might like Gatsby now, I'm down for reading about a bunch of people in the 1920s struggling with life... but boy o boy high school me did not appreciate it at all. :negative:

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

I honestly might like Gatsby now, I'm down for reading about a bunch of people in the 1920s struggling with life... but boy o boy high school me did not appreciate it at all. :negative:

if anything it's more about a bunch of people in the 1920s very much not struggling with life but convincing themselves they are

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

MockingQuantum posted:

Cartoon History of the Universe, parts 1-3, for the broadest and most entertaining overview.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

StrixNebulosa posted:

You probably have, it used to be called by a different translation of the title, Remembrance of Things Past.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Let's fix this list

What it should be:
Remove Great Gatsby
Moby Dick higher
Remove Hamlet, plays aren't books
Remove The Odyssey, poetry is not books
Swap Madame Bovary with Sentimental Education, Bovary is more incisive, but SE is funnier and speaks more to both the unstable political times it was set and to our own times.
Remove Dante, Poetry is not books
Swap Lolita with Pale Fire, move Pale Fire Higher
Brothers K and C&P need to be seperated because having two of an authors works together is unaesthetic.
Swap Catcher in the Rye with Franny and Zooey, but keep Catcher on the list higher up.
Swap Pride and Prejudice with Emma, and then remove it, boring novel
Remove Huck Finn
Remove Illiad, Poetry is not books
Replace Catch 22 with Gravity's Rainbow
Swap Sound and Fury with Absalom, Absalom!, and move it into the top ten
Replace Grapes of Wrath with East of Eden
Replace The Trial with The Castle and remove the rest of Kafka, too much
Red and Black should be moved down on the list, I love Stendhal but he's sloppy as hell as a writer, likewise Charterhouse of Parma should be removed.
Remove Jane Eyre, worst Bronte
Remove Aeneid, poetry is not books
Ficciones should be in the top ten
Remove all Hemingway, mf cannot write for poo poo
Remove Leaves of Grass, poetry is not books
I feel like the Rushdie doesn't actually belong but I haven't read it so I cannot say for certain.
Remove Candide, for the best of all possible lists
Remove the two Sophocles, plays are not books
Dead Souls should be Higher
Remove Kerouac, that poo poo sucks
I've never even heard of The Good Soldier, I assume it's trash
Remove Animal Farm
Remove Vanity Fair, seriously nobodies read this in a hundred years
Remove The Waste Land, poetry is not books
Journey to the End of Night should be higher
Replace Slaughterhouse Five with Cat's Cradle or Breakfast of Champions
Remove Charlotte's Web, what the gently caress are we even doing here
Remove Paradise Lost, Poetry is not books
Remove The Poetry of Emily Dickinson, not a book
Faust should be much, much higher
Remove Flowers of Evil, poetry is not books
Remove The Decameron, the film adaption sucked

Luckily they left off a bunch of better novels to make up for all the non books, and bizarre decisions in ranking. Master and Margarita, Fathers and Sons, Ada, Eugene Onegin, and The Death of Ivan Ilyich need to be added from Russia. American fiction is also woefully underrepresented. Gravity's Rainbow, Against the Day, Blood Meridian, Wise Blood, JR should be added. Maybe Libra too. They also have like zero Asian authors, throw some Mishima, Soseki, Kawabata, Three Kingdoms is a little boring despite the impact, but Water Margin should be there. Definitely more that would make it but I haven't read them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Gasp - now you put Pride and Prejudice back!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

List Gets demented the farther you go, Harry Potter is 209 and Atlas Shrugged is 212. The Stand is just below Plato's Republic at 201 and 202 respectively, and both are higher, along with Atlas Shrugged than The Book of Disquiet, Gravity's Rainbow, Steppenwolf, and Salinger's Nine Stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

StrixNebulosa posted:

I hated it in high school and loved it in my 20s. Not sure how it holds up, but I have a really nice letterpress copy of it so I should do a reread.