Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

euphronius posted:

Who are the squad at the bottom of the cover . Just random navy guys ?

Void breachers, elite squad of Imperial Navy voidsmen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/06/dawn-of-fire-roadmap-the-saga-continues-with-sea-of-souls/

This weeks Black Library news is yet another Dawn of Fire book.
But this time, they've picked a non C-tier author for it. At last.

And they've announced that two more books in the series are also on the way.
But that's all they said about that.

Fuckin finally

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Isnt that a space marine job ?

I guess there are not a lot of them

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.
Blood-tight and void-sealed, spirit locked and ready to purge!

Void Breachers are real cool, essentially actual space marines.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer
What character is Eddie Murphy there?

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Gotta love sci-fi scale and narrative.

"Oh noes, we're turbo-hosed! Cadia is gone, we lost the resources and tithes of half the galaxy, thousands of vessels lost in the Cicatrix storms, we lost who knows how many chapters and militarum units! This is the darkest hour! poo poo, you're saying 5% of the entire Imperial war machine turned to Khorne in the last event, plus we're being eaten by Nids again? It's the DARKEST darkest hour!"

4 years later

"Yeah, we just have massive new fleets and armies pulled out of our asses. Just bursting with personnel and materiel! We're both retaking Nihilus AND crusading into the hellmouth the Imperium never breched even at full strength in the past. Guilliman is just that good at looking between the couch cushions!"

Then again, there's always galaxy-ending massive tides of heretical legions and every one of them is somehow a fell veteran of the Heresy, so i guess it evens out. Warcraft 2 rules, just keep spamming the recruiting buoldings on cooldown until you hit the population cap!

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

"Oh noes, we're turbo-hosed! Cadia is gone, we lost the resources and tithes of half the galaxy, thousands of vessels lost in the Cicatrix storms, we lost who knows how many chapters and militarum units! This is the darkest hour! poo poo, you're saying 5% of the entire Imperial war machine turned to Khorne in the last event, plus we're being eaten by Nids again? It's the DARKEST darkest hour!"

4 years later

"Yeah, we just have massive new fleets and armies pulled out of our asses. Just bursting with personnel and materiel! We're both retaking Nihilus AND crusading into the hellmouth the Imperium never breched even at full strength in the past. Guilliman is just that good at looking between the couch cushions!"

Then again, there's always galaxy-ending massive tides of heretical legions and every one of them is somehow a fell veteran of the Heresy, so i guess it evens out. Warcraft 2 rules, just keep spamming the recruiting buoldings on cooldown until you hit the population cap!

its the new 10 seconds til midnight to a degree. its just GW is filling in the blanks more now.

lonelylikezoidberg
Dec 19, 2007
Don't try to make it internally logically consistent you can't and it won't ever be

just sit back read warhammer books and let your brain turn into a delicious slurry

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Yeah, I'm comfortable with the writers just barely handwaving it away as long as it isn't -too- silly.

But it's amusing that the best writers like ADB do just a good job of hooking you in on the stakes, with the imperium being this horrid drumbling edifice and the heretics having to literally bind demons into their failing wargear as they tear at each other, and it never translates into the actual events.

I guess it's Dragon Ball Z rules. There's always gotta be a bigger fight with a bigger power level next time. That's not the same energy blast you saw 2 seasons ago, trust me! This one is 300 times stronger! It's stronger than the collor purple! Says so right here.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Sephyr posted:

Yeah, I'm comfortable with the writers just barely handwaving it away as long as it isn't -too- silly.

But it's amusing that the best writers like ADB do just a good job of hooking you in on the stakes, with the imperium being this horrid drumbling edifice and the heretics having to literally bind demons into their failing wargear as they tear at each other, and it never translates into the actual events.

I guess it's Dragon Ball Z rules. There's always gotta be a bigger fight with a bigger power level next time. That's not the same energy blast you saw 2 seasons ago, trust me! This one is 300 times stronger! It's stronger than the collor purple! Says so right here.

yeah but its also if some how some rando with a hunting rifle killed cell by shooting him in the head for a Kilometer away just as he was transforming into perfect cell.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
So what's the furthest point of lore currently? Is it still Guillman channeling the emperor in nurgles garden or is the new DoF after that?

I recall them reshuffling some of the timelines

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Sephyr posted:

4 years later

FWIW the one crusade fleet falling to khorne hasn't happened in the novels yet. I believe the game book timeline is ahead of where Dawn of Fire is, but a coherent, consistent tineline hasn't exactly been GW'S strong suit in the past.

I wonder if there'll be any interaction between the current Necron metaplot (the Pariah zones), the 'nids (new invasion) and Chaos (Abbadon and Vashtor's Wild Ride)

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Sep 6, 2023

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

Sephyr posted:

4 years later

Wasn't that the whole thing about the Indomitus Crusade though? That Robute woke up and managed to put to rest a lot of the internal squabbling that kept knee-capping some of the imperial war machine. Plus a whole SHITLOAD of Primaris join the ranks and spearhead a lot of the fighting. Imperium Nihilus was lost to the other side, but not to itself. With The Lion's return slowly building the Imperium back to where it was prior to the Maladictum, the hardest part is being able to move between the two parts of the Imperium, which is why War of Beasts at Vigilus is so important.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

Sephyr posted:

4 years later

I think khorne getting his new toys happens after these books

Which is why they suck, they are already out of date, just catch-up to the campaign books you willies

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

I think that 2 old 2 night would be more narratively interesting than "poo poo is hosed, but hey we're, generally speaking, back", but stirring the pot too much is always difficult with IPs like these.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
He must have some magical Excel to organize things across a million worlds, communicating by freaky dream-pictogram, with people that are freaking out or suspect he's a traitor ruse. Just getting a somewhat reliable assessment should take decades, let alone actually reach everywhere with fleets.

Still, I get it. In a way, their firs t impulse to put the action decades after the fall of Cadia was a good impulse, since it would take that long for things to settle and allow a next big counter-move. But that's not the narrative that people want. Like in Legend of 5 Rings Rokugan has seen more apocaliptic world-changing megawars in the last 30 years than in the 800 years before 'present day' starting point.

I'm just saying I want the game (and books) to fully reorient to a managing simulator of rebuilding and recovery for the next edition or so. Master of Orion 3 style. Is it too much to ask?

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I like “time is hosed up, it’s not going to be exactly linear or consistent”

Which even matches more or less “real” space travel with time dilation

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I've been 'Eeehhhhhhhh' *Waves hand* on the Dawn of Fire books to the point I haven't bothered with the last one, but if they're breaking out the good authors I might read The Martyrs Tomb.

How was it?

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Deptfordx posted:

I've been 'Eeehhhhhhhh' *Waves hand* on the Dawn of Fire books to the point I haven't bothered with the last one, but if they're breaking out the good authors I might read The Martyrs Tomb.

How was it?

Not good. Very skippable.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I enjoyed Marty's Tomb but I was also comparing it to the previous DoF books which were absolute dogshit. It was also basically a sequel to Void King which I really liked since rogue traders are my jam.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
After all these years of waiting, an Imperial Navy book? Is it Christmas already?

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Where's my god drat Leagues of Votann novel you sons a bitches

I deserve to be disappointed too

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I wish they would announce stuff when it’s actually available

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

S.J. posted:

It's pretty insane that we don't have any (?) yet lol. I want to know what they get up to, meet some cool robot guys. hosed up

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

DaysBefore posted:

It's pretty insane that we don't have any (?) yet lol. I want to know what they get up to, meet some cool robot guys. hosed up

They are waiting to see if they can sell more of them before discontinuing them again. The excuse this time instead of "eaten by Tyranids" is going to be "stolen by Trazyn".

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Stolen by the unknowable and perfidious invisible hand of the market

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
It does feel like a mistake to launch Votann without at least a short story collection or something

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DaysBefore posted:

Yeah they dripped me just enough that I'm absolutely ravenous for Votann lore.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

S.J. posted:

We already know Gav Thorpe is going to write it so it can't really get any worse.

Also, drink.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

God we really need to put Gav in a dreadnought frame. Gets to wake up once every decade or so and rave a bit while everyone's like "oh yeah totally. good stuff grandpa".

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Cooked Auto posted:

We already know Gav Thorpe is going to write it so it can't really get any worse.

Also, drink.

gently caress

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Enjoying Rob Sanders' Cybernetica a lot because it does the thing with the Mechanicum where there's a mix of hard sci-fi and science fantasy in how Mars and techmarines operate. You can't make it too comprehensible, because that ruins the core concept of the Mechanicum and Imperial technology in 40k as a whole, but some authors lean to far in the other direction and human technology ends up being almost orkoid in its simplicity and the simplicity of the people using it. It's just a bunch of cogs in a box making a thing do something incredible.

It's why I love authors who can write proper void warfare too. Space is big, I can only suspend my disbelief so far. Boy did Battle for the Abyss rule for like one fifth of the book, after which it turned into absolute poo poo.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2023/09/10/sunday-preview-the-twin-tailed-crusade-runs-into-an-ironjawz-problem

You want some books? Of course you do!

But only one book this time around, with the hardback, eBook, and audiobook editions Yndrasta: The Celestial Spear by Noah Van Nguyen going up for pre-order next weekend.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Announcing the future release of a pre order

0konner
Nov 17, 2016

I WAS THERE
WHEN CODY RHODES
FINISHED THE STORY
Ha wwe has a 40k nerd lady so I’ve now heard the announcer on raw go “she calls that move the exterminaytus.”

Calax
Oct 5, 2011

0konner posted:

Ha wwe has a 40k nerd lady so I’ve now heard the announcer on raw go “she calls that move the exterminaytus.”

Shayna Baszler?

The chick who's ring gear was literally the Eye of Horus?

Also really want that Noa Van Nguen book.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Ah yeah, she has done a whole bunch of Legion themed outfits in the past.
At this point I think she must've gone through both the loyalist and traitor legions I feel.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

She wore the Sons Of Horus kit during the match where she betrayed her tag-team partner
:unsmigghh:

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

She wore the Sons Of Horus kit during the match where she betrayed her tag-team partner
:unsmigghh:

to put an even finer point on it, she wore Luna Wolves gear in the match where they earned the title and then switched to Sons of Horus gear in the match where they were defending it, where she turned on her partner and cost them the match

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

Lol that owns