Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
I think they intend NG+ to replace rerolling characters since they let the psycho who demanded you have 6 Charisma in order to move things around your settlements in FO4 be in charge of 70% of the skill tree this time around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
I hear starfield writing bad

C/d

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

trizzNPH posted:

i disagree that its at odds w/ the design to go through w/ ng+, in fact it kinda seems like an obvious idea im surprised they didn't tackle sooner. maybe don't rush NG+, but I think you should not try and do the standard BGS 'do *everything* in the game before the MQ' routine. I did a faction plotline and some sidequests while focusing on the MQ primarily, and that was pretty fulfilling imo.
I guess it isn't explicitly at odds with the typical BGS game, it's just poorly communicated what the idea behind the system is.

I plan on doing one faction questline per loop, then looping+save and wait for an expansion, play that then loop+save, and so on and so forth until all the expansions are out.
Then at that point I'll do the full completionist playthrough (with the added benefit ofhave a large mod-pool to draw on).

The only issue with that is that they don't let you change your characters traits and backstory, which could've been easily worked into the multi-verse idea that the game has, where you inherit part of the identity of the person who was in the part of the multi-verse where you arrive in.
That can be fixed with console commands, though - which is what I intend on doing once I get that far.

I think it would've been more interesting if BGS had gone with that strategy and made it explicit as an idea for the player, instead of the player being left to work it out.

Alan Smithee posted:

C/d
BGS games all suffer from main-quest-boring and side-quests-vary-hugely.
Vanguard quest seems very fun so far, and from the non-spoiler reactions I've seen so far, it gets better.

Most people who play them don't do it for the main quest.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Sep 7, 2023

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Man I thought BG3 made my computer run hot, but holy gently caress this game is on a different level. Never heard my fans make the kinds of noises they have been the last 2 days...

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao Todd rules

Cool! I did find some human Organs contraband and need to figure out how to sell these

The Den station in the Wolf system near sol and alpha centauri has a Trade authority shop and no ships that scan you. great place to sell contraband.

also you can join the crimson fleet through the vanguard quest, or by getting arrested. they also buy stolen goods and contraband

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

:discourse:

Lobus
Jun 24, 2016

What happened here?
:parrot:

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This is going to be a hot take, but while I think bg3 will get goty easily, starfield will have a way longer tail and hold onto players for longer thanks to mods

Yeah I really like Starfield, but I don't think anything is going to stop BG3 from game of the year.

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Sab669 posted:

Man I thought BG3 made my computer run hot, but holy gently caress this game is on a different level. Never heard my fans make the kinds of noises they have been the last 2 days...

Weird, barely uses my 3080, which would probably explain the Toddtastic sub 60fps performance

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

BlankSystemDaemon posted:

I guess it isn't explicitly at odds with the typical BGS game, it's just poorly communicated what the idea behind the system is.

I plan on doing one faction questline per loop, then looping+save and wait for an expansion, play that then loop+save, and so on and so forth until all the expansions are out.
Then at that point I'll do the full completionist playthrough (with the added benefit ofhave a large mod-pool to draw on).

The only issue with that is that they don't let you change your characters traits and backstory, which could've been easily worked into the multi-verse idea that the game has, where you inherit part of the identity of the person who was in the part of the multi-verse where you arrive in.
That can be fixed with console commands, though - which is what I intend on doing once I get that far.

I think it would've been more interesting if BGS had gone with that strategy and made it explicit as an idea for the player, instead of the player being left to work it out.

BGS games all suffer from main-quest-bad-side-quests-vary-hugely.

Most people who play them don't do it for the main quest.

agreed that they missed the mark not letting us reroll traits, though at risk of sounding like the same broken record we've heard for like 2 decades now... at least there's gonna be mods/you can use commands for that, like you said. i'm very excited to dig into the ng+ further, im glad the story doesn't end there and i really like how NG+ and 'The Pilgrim' basically is the new CHIM that justifies your characters different moralities/stories/massive mod pools. can't wait to hit my homesteader loop, once we get Sim Star-Settlements mod lol

Perfect Potato posted:

Weird, barely uses my 3080, which would probably explain the Toddtastic sub 60fps performance

can't vouch for it first hand as im on a 2070, but ive heard that SF has a bit of an underutilization problem w/ high end gpus. hopefully addressed in a patch?

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm not sure this will have as big a modding scene as Skyrim. The higher fidelity the game gets the harder it is to make assets, and it's just way easier to slot stuff into medieval Fantasy than it is sci-fi imo

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Perfect Potato posted:

Maybe it's my CPU fan, pretty hard to tell. Could also just be a crappy bearing in any of the fans I guess -- haven't actively monitored temps while playing.

What is even the go-to software for checking GPU temp nowadays?

Sneeze Party
Apr 26, 2002

These are, by far, the most brilliant photographs that I have ever seen, and you are a GOD AMONG MEN.
Toilet Rascal
After doing like 20 hours of the main quest, I decided to branch off and do some of the faction stuff. During the Crimson Fleet quests, I'm stuck? On the second part of the quest, I return to the pirate lady and she's being attacked or something. Almost right away, I get blown up. I haven't upgraded my ship at all. Is it necessary to do that? Or am I just a poo poo pilot? I don't think it's that, because my shields are gone in like 15 seconds.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

queeb posted:

I'm not sure this will have as big a modding scene as Skyrim. The higher fidelity the game gets the harder it is to make assets, and it's just way easier to slot stuff into medieval Fantasy than it is sci-fi imo

Anime boobs don't require a setting

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

The game needs an 'infinite stamina when outside combat' mod. Anyone has seen something like that?

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

queeb posted:

Eh I think it’ll end up being fine.

I don’t even think the original post is that hot of a take - BGS games are both incredibly popular and have very long legs. That said it looks like DOS2 has 40-50% the average players as Skyrim and FO4, so Larian games seems relatively long-lived as well.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

queeb posted:

I think you are underestimating how much people like space

Son of Rodney
Feb 22, 2006

ohmygodohmygodohmygod

Alan Smithee posted:

C/d

It goes from adequate to some of the worst I've seen in a recent game. Whoever here aid they're stuck in 2010 is right, the writing is pretty nonsensical or overly simplistic in a lot of the cases. It's imo the biggest weakness of the game. There are rare gems tho!

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
A lot of the major mod hurdles are tied around tippy toeing around all the existing content without breaking anything so being able to slot your magical piss realm or whatever onto an unused planet tile might make that stuff more accessible than in Skyrim and FO4

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

Perfect Potato posted:

A lot of the major mod hurdles are tied around tippy toeing around all the existing content without breaking anything so being able to slot your magical piss realm or whatever onto an unused planet tile might make that stuff more accessible than in Skyrim and FO4

The creation kit isn't even out yet (the actual modding tools) so people are going with scripting and other poo poo they know from the engine. Honestly it's kind of impressive the amount of stuff that is out already given that they don't have the creation kit.

When that drops, be prepared for all the insane content.

trizzNPH
Feb 17, 2022

heavenly piercing toke'n smoke'n

JerikTelorian posted:

The creation kit isn't even out yet (the actual modding tools) so people are going with scripting and other poo poo they know from the engine. Honestly it's kind of impressive the amount of stuff that is out already given that they don't have the creation kit.

When that drops, be prepared for all the insane content.

reminds me of when skyrim came out, but that was even more impressive tbh because people hadn't had much chance to work with the 'new' iteration of the engine yet. lot of texture swaps, basic scripts hooked in, ui changes, that kinda thing. soon, the boobies will come...

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Tei posted:

I you join the UC, the first step is the museum, they will show you what a TM looks like. And would somewhat suggest where it comes from.

It also have some sort story about "Londonian". I guess I have to visit that place, is intriguing.

I wonder if it's like the quarry in New Vegas where terrormorph:deathclaw.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

seriously though why did they make the blacks look grey and not put in a gamma slider or HDR support? does anyone think it looks good?

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

trizzNPH posted:

reminds me of when skyrim came out, but that was even more impressive tbh because people hadn't had much chance to work with the 'new' iteration of the engine yet. lot of texture swaps, basic scripts hooked in, ui changes, that kinda thing. soon, the boobies will come...

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Rad Games > STARFIELD: soon, the boobies will come...

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Turin Turambar posted:

The game needs an 'infinite stamina when outside combat' mod. Anyone has seen something like that?

There's a magic power for it apparently.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Archonex posted:

Wait until you realize how hosed up their society is.

It starts at "Service guarantees citizenship!" and continues on to the implicit suggestion that they're doing illegal human experimentation on unwilling victims. Also, weaponizing the Terrormorphs to try and conquer the settled worlds or act as terrorism. Xenowarfare kits came from somewhere, after all.

Implicit suggestion? You get to go to the clinic where they're doing the drat trials lmao. You even see two doctors discussing it like it was a headache, with one doc threatening to go to SSNN with info and the other going 'yeah same' more or less.

And yet despite that, I still made sure they got merged under new ownership. :v:

Still though, I think I only found one Xenowarfare kit so far. The other contraband items I found were Aurora and some Sentient AI Modules.

Though on the topic of contraband, has anyone sunk skill points into Commerce? I know 20% to 25% of bupkis is still bupkis, but some bits allegedly go for four figures.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Lol, the Keplar R is an embarrassing monstrosity. You're welcome, Walter.

JerikTelorian
Jan 19, 2007

The Beowulf is a dope Kinetic rifle, grab one if you can. It uses 7.77 which is what the Eon and Grendel use so ammo is incredibly common and it hits like a truck. Kinda reminds me of the DMR from Reach or Scout Rifles in Destiny.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have like seven thousand 7mm bullets in my pockets. Good thing there's survival mode yet lol

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Is there some secret to the end of the Crimson Fleet quest line when the vigilance and all the UC ships show up?. I get blown the gently caress up within 30 seconds no matter what I try.

e: this is so loving stupid. There's nothing up to this point that even remotely prepares you for this. I hid and took out most of the ships and then more showed up and I exploded immediately again.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Sep 7, 2023

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

The downside of using the console for infinite carry weight just started affecting me :(
https://steamcommunity.com/app/1716740/discussions/0/3824173464660998614/

Guess I'll just use the infinite cargo hold mod thing

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
Main story spoiler

Did anyone else find the Terramorph Sample in NASA? It feels like something like that being on Earth pre-exodus should be a big deal but it's just another item you can pick up and sell for big bucks,

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Lobus posted:

Yeah I really like Starfield, but I don't think anything is going to stop BG3 from game of the year.

BG3 is great, Starfield is not as terrible as Fallout 4, but neither were Tears of the Kingdom.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Turin Turambar posted:

It is called Personal Atmosphere!

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"

Khanstant posted:

BG3 is great, Starfield is not as terrible as Fallout 4, but neither were Tears of the Kingdom.

TotK is good but it’s just BOTW2 with extra crap shoved in

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

ImpAtom posted:

It is called Personal Atmosphere!

It should be a starting perk!

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

This is going to be a hot take, but while I think bg3 will get goty easily, starfield will have a way longer tail and hold onto players for longer thanks to mods

how is that a hot take?

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

i am a moron posted:

TotK is good but it’s just BOTW2 with extra crap shoved in

BotW was the beta test for TotK. BG3 is just DoS2:DnD Starfield is just psuedospace daggerfield

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

we all agree, Armored Core 6 is the best this year

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

Kaddish posted:

Lol, the Keplar R is an embarrassing monstrosity. You're welcome, Walter.
Its incredibly funny that Walter let me make the space ship equivalent of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Lobus posted:

Cities Skylines 2 has yet to enter the ring.