Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I do think it could have been fun to have some crossover between the regular main Halloween movies and what was going on in Season of The Witch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Do you like scary movies?

drrockso20 posted:

I do think it could have been fun to have some crossover between the regular main Halloween movies and what was going on in Season of The Witch

I forgot where I was reading it, but a fan theory was that Cochran's cult was a split off from the Thorns.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

flashy_mcflash posted:

I like nihilism but Speak No Evil really didn't hit with me at all. I can't even really articulate why.

I loved it but didn’t get why people singled out the ending as being particularly amazing, at its core it’s basically a slightly different version of the The Strangers ending

Chris James 2 fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Sep 7, 2023

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

M_Sinistrari posted:

I forgot where I was reading it, but a fan theory was that Cochran's cult was a split off from the Thorns.

Might have been here that I read it or a youtube video like RLM or soemthing that Halloween might have been meant to be an anthology but the first one was so popular they had to follow it up with another Michael movie. Then Season of the Witch has elements that easily tie together imo.

As an anthology series with connective tissue where you get Michael and other people and things come together for a grand climax would have been neat.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I'm genuinely curious how that fan theory explains Halloween being a movie in the Halloween 3 universe.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
An in-universe Based on a True Story movie, obv

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

TheKingslayer posted:

I'm genuinely curious how that fan theory explains Halloween being a movie in the Halloween 3 universe.

A cult financed the movie as another way to make Halloween GREAT AGAIN!

feedmyleg posted:

An in-universe Based on a True Story movie, obv

This.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Disseminating a movie called "Halloween" to the masses only increases the power of the yearly Samhain sacrifices. A force multiplier, if you will.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

How many Dahmer movies/shows are we up to by now?

Opopanax fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Sep 7, 2023

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Been a couple months since I watched monster club n I'm still jamming to the soundtrack

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Shrecknet posted:

Just rewatched Unfriended: Dark Web and other than the AJ actor, everyone in this movie gives the kind of understated preformance you don't usually get from the pro-ams usually populating the no-budget Found Footage flicks, although this is more correctly an epistolary film rather than true FF.

I would unhesitatingly recommend this to literally anyone who likes thrillers or good-rear end filmmaking in general. The conceit of everything playing out on screens and the twists the movie enacts to get everyone's screens to stay on are absolutely harrowing.

Just a masterclass and it's almost a shame this was branded as an Unfriended sequel because it could easily stand on its own. It's my new "wow, you've never seen..." movie

Completely agreed.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It’s funny now knowing more about serial killers, I really gotta know why Simon Phoenix in demolition man said “I love that guy!”

How is he going to help you Simon. Lol

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

MacheteZombie posted:

Been a couple months since I watched monster club n I'm still jamming to the soundtrack

Yes, it rules

okay

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
Talk to Me was an impressive first feature, but a bit uneven, the whole jordan peele cryptic shtick didn't really work. The kids were so lovely, loved them.

We Got Us A Bread
Jul 23, 2007

I mean sure, but it's also been on Tubi forever. So..you do you, Screambox?

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

CelticPredator posted:

It’s funny now knowing more about serial killers, I really gotta know why Simon Phoenix in demolition man said “I love that guy!”

i'm pretty sure Dahmer got killed irl before the movie came out too

edit: nevermind, it was a year later actually

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDNoPxVR67g

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

i'm pretty sure Dahmer got killed irl before the movie came out too

edit: nevermind, it was a year later actually

Thought it was just to show Phoenix is depraved and gets giddy thinking about murder, mutilation, dismemberment and cannibalism.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Alright Eli, I'll give you another chance

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Yeah alright just a straight up slasher who runs around killing people dressed up like a pilgrim. Sure, I'm game.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He wants to gently caress him obv

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

Well, a little disappointing it's not with the 70s film grain, but it's early and I've been waiting for this since Machete went from faux trailer to full feature.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MariusLecter posted:

Thought it was just to show Phoenix is depraved and gets giddy thinking about murder, mutilation, dismemberment and cannibalism.

Yeah it was, I was just being silly about it lol

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Way to miss the point of your own movie Eli

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

M_Sinistrari posted:

Well, a little disappointing it's not with the 70s film grain, but it's early and I've been waiting for this since Machete went from faux trailer to full feature.

yeah i was hoping they'd at least do a throwback trailer with some VO. You dont even need the filmgrain effect just try and do more with a teaser than just a modern horror teaser.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

MariusLecter posted:

he's so stylish though

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

what gets me is him shooting the trampoline scene like it’s the most iconic horror moment and just a super funny joke.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually think its about time we had a resurgence of slasher films. They were pretty much killed off by Scream in the 90s.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Also more holiday themed slashers is never a bad thing.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Hollismason posted:

I actually think its about time we had a resurgence of slasher films. They were pretty much killed off by Scream in the 90s.

I thought it was the opposite? I thought Slashers, by the time Scream came out, were deader than dead because the flagship franchises had all been run into the ground. Nobody - no horror fan, casual movie goer or critic - took them seriously. That is until Scream was both massively brilliant and popular. Then we got I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends, and a bunch of others I don't really know but probably exist.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Just so you guys know, the clip where the dude says "let's eat" made me think of this thread's reaction to that trailer.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah I don’t know how to justify the idea that slashers have been dead for 30 years. Besides the post Scream era we just had Terrifier - which was the 3rd of its series. And we got three new Halloweens. We got a new Kevin Williamson slasher even. There was a Winnie the Pooh slasher.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

NikkolasKing posted:

I thought it was the opposite? I thought Slashers, by the time Scream came out, were deader than dead because the flagship franchises had all been run into the ground. Nobody - no horror fan, casual movie goer or critic - took them seriously. That is until Scream was both massively brilliant and popular. Then we got I Know What You Did Last Summer, Urban Legends, and a bunch of others I don't really know but probably exist.

It just depends on your perspective really. Scream obviously did kick off a slasher resurgence that lasted for a few years but then you could argue it's imitators killed slashers deader than Freddy or Jason ever did. Plus you could argue that the meta aspect of Scream was not necessarily great for slashers in the long term. After Scream it seemed like every slasher had to wink at the audience and make meta jokes about the genre, straightforward slashers were considered quaint and outdated.

But also yes there's been another resurgence in recent years so it's not like slashers are dead currently. The new Halloween trilogy and the new Screams have brought slashers back at least somewhat.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hollismason posted:

Slasher movies have been killing it for the past 6 years

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

That face scene that gives me a Jason X face-freeze kill homage vibe already has me more interested than I've ever been in an Eli Roth film post-Cabin Fever. Definitely thought I was done with him for good after Green Inferno but okay, I'm in

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah I don’t know how to justify the idea that slashers have been dead for 30 years. Besides the post Scream era we just had Terrifier - which was the 3rd of its series. And we got three new Halloweens. We got a new Kevin Williamson slasher even. There was a Winnie the Pooh slasher.

Similar to how Cabin in the Woods discourse goes to being about horror movies in general being in decline or something when the simple read of "these tropes are fun and/or weird, let's mash em together in an meta entertaining way."

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

CelticPredator posted:

Slasher movies have been killing it for the past 6 years

Is this a pun?

M_Sinistrari
Sep 5, 2008

NikkolasKing posted:

Going from the Slasher Glut of the 80s, then you could argue the slasher subgenre was dead. However, the Horror genre's very responsive to audience tastes compared to movies in general. Whether it's from having a specific audience or on average horror's quicker to make, who knows? When slashers were starting to get tired, the general shift went to whatever subgenre was next. Slasher films still happened, but nowhere near as much as during the Glut until Scream turned the interest back.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

People love stabbing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

My reactions:

Eli Roth: :neckbeard:
Addison Rae: :baduk: