Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

herculon posted:

Good advice for anyone really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

herculon posted:

basically. extremely epic service

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

herculon posted:

this. worth every cent

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

prom night btw. very mid canadian horrow movie but its cool seein leslie nielsen in something + there was a real sick decapitation

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

also this 80s 15 year old that looked like seth rogan in superbad hit on a high school girl by sayin he was "old enough" nd then opened a hollowed out textbook and 100 blunts rolled out lmao. dudes name was slick, got the coolest death in the movie

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plutonis posted:

I could see Lester jumping in myself tbh. He is a guy who was on cold storage for decades and was finally back doing what he loved which was detective work and investigation so the frustration over the resources shortage could plausibly make him accept McNulty's stupid plan.

I have to reluctantly agree w/this but in a normal season it would take like 3-4 episodes to sway Lester. In S5 he just immediately jumps on board

5 was also the shortest season of the series so maybe if they had another couple episodes to flesh things out it wouldn't feel so rushed/fake, but we will never know.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Also RIP Bodie, the soldier who got done the worst

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Breaker Morant, very solid

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Harry potters 1-6 while laying in bed napping on autoplay

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I have to reluctantly agree w/this but in a normal season it would take like 3-4 episodes to sway Lester. In S5 he just immediately jumps on board

5 was also the shortest season of the series so maybe if they had another couple episodes to flesh things out it wouldn't feel so rushed/fake, but we will never know.

wonder if it got nailed by th 2007 writers strike, came out in 2008 so it's about the right time

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

wonder if it got nailed by th 2007 writers strike, came out in 2008 so it's about the right time

iirc Ed Burns, the actual Baltimore homicide detective who wrote the series alongside David Simon, left after season 4 & it shows

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

the best scene of HBO history:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aon24CbN5-M

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Also RIP Bodie, the soldier who got done the worst

Bodie was the best

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...
Dune (1984), Dune (2021), Planet Dune (2021) in that order

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Oh yeah I think some eps of him having to deal with the Marlo investigation getting hosed because City Hall pulled out their funding could have made that more plausible.

Also started to watch 30 Monedas on HBO, insane Spanish paranormal/exorcism series.

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007
all quiet on the western front - it's fine. i get it, war sucks and the ppl who want it lie to you to get you to die for them. i figured that out early and the rest of the move felt extraneous

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

late night, come home. War sucks, I know

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

buffalo all day posted:

herculon
Sep 7, 2018

Ghost in the Shell on the Criterion Channel

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
been popping on celebrity a bunch lately, its a good kdrama imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OIboeCkVKJk

Smirking_Serpent
Aug 27, 2009

Crimson Tide, Gene Hackman the goat

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
Anal Carwash Angels

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Watching the Fargo TV series, halfway through season 2. Billy Bob Thorton loving killed it in season 1.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Plebian Parasite posted:

Watching the Fargo TV series, halfway through season 2. Billy Bob Thorton loving killed it in season 1.

Good rear end series. It wanes a bit, but it's still worth watching

I've been watching Locked Up Abroad and it randomly swapped back to the much worse UK version. If you thought US actors look way better than their real life counterparts, whoo wee. The UK people look like a different loving species from their actors

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

I feel like the series struggles a lot with how much verisimilitude it wants to have at any given point. In episode 1 Lester kills his wife and it's loving gut wrenching. Then, like 6 episodes later Malvo massacres an entire mafia family, 22 people, in the middle of an urban center, in broad daylight. The entire scene felt really out of place and silly. Granted it's not aiming to be a super grounded and realistic depiction of crime, but it took me out of it a little.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Martin Freeman is S2 right? Or was that Kirsten Dunst & the ginger guy?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Mekchu posted:

Martin Freeman is S2 right? Or was that Kirsten Dunst & the ginger guy?

freeman is 1

dunst and lord jesse plemons is 2

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

only watched s1 and 2 but they're fuckin Epic. liked s2 more overall but billy bob thornton kics an insane amount of rear end in 1

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020

Fungah! posted:

only watched s1 and 2 but they're fuckin Epic. liked s2 more overall but billy bob thornton kics an insane amount of rear end in 1

season 3 is even better

That Little Demon
Dec 3, 2020
this dude is like 10000x more evil and crazy than Billy Bob lol

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

That Little Demon posted:

this

TheSwizzler
May 13, 2005

LETTIN THE CAT OUTTA THE BAG

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Lol

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

The first episode of season 1 is probably the best hour of television history in my opinion lol, just completely perfect. The rest of the season is great too of course. I love when Colin Hanks arrests Billy Bob Thornton when he’s pretending to be a kindly small-town pastor, and he tells Hanks “when this is over, you’re going to be saying ‘you’re making a mistake.’” And the payoff on that line later on.

Season 3 might almost be better than 1 but I think Thornton’s performance gives it a slight edge, the villain of 3 is great too but Thornton’s just so diabolical, almost literally, I have to give it to him. But I love McGregor and it was fun seeing him do the dual-role thing, and Mary Elizabeth Winstead’s character was so cool and she played it perfectly, just a fantastic season all around.

2 was still very good but I didn’t like it near as much as 1 or 3 which completely blew me away. I still need to see 4, I’ve heard it’s not as good as the others but I’m sure it’s still solid on its own terms. It’s hard to follow up three seasons as good as these, I’ll bet.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

4 isn't bad but it's not great

The ending is nice

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

A Haunting in Venice. Best of the Branagh Poirot movies so far, really enjoyed it a lot.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
Past Lives: very good overall. A bit precious at one or two points where characters who are writers muse about 'what if this was a story' and similar. My friend commented that I was the only one in the theatre laughing. I'm convinced that the movie is intentionally funny, but many of the jokes hinge on John Magaro's facial expressions

e: don't watch the trailer

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

duel. sick movie, doesnt feel like spielberg at all. favorite scene is when he finally decides to showdown with the truck and buckles his seatbelt like a samurai goin into battle lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

4 isn't bad but it's not great

The ending is nice

Gaetano's fate was probably the funniest moment in the series for me