Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Luffy wants everyone to be as free as him, but that explicitly involves not harming people unless they really deserve it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Luffy is my nakama

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

TheKingofSprings posted:

Y’all realize Luffy is the most libertarian to ever libertarian right
"Is Luffu A Libertarian" - the greatest thread in the history of the forums, locked by a moderator after 393 pages of heated debate,.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Luffy is my nakama

hosed up if true

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Never seen him looking up silver and gold exchanges on an Samsung while buying groceries at Publix with slivers of metal in his pocket

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Hancock is the real libertarian.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Black Beard is the only libertarian

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Supposedly we get three chapters straight chapters in a row this month and next...

https://claystage.com/one-piece-chapter-release-schedule-for-2023

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

was looking forward to the gay chapters myself.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Luffy is my nakama

A powerful word meaning

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Larryb posted:

Season 2 has been confirmed, but we ain’t getting it until the strike’s settled

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1699876973152026757

Makes sense to me honestly

I'm down for this

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

TheKingofSprings posted:

Y’all realize Luffy is the most libertarian to ever libertarian right

Luffy doesn't want to gently caress children so you are wrong

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

i'm surprised at how much development they're adding to Koby in the live action

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Luffy doesn't want to gently caress

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

No Wave posted:

He doesnt really do piracy. He's more of a seasteader.

everyone I've pressured to watch OPLA loved it, but some also point out that Luffy should just call himself an adventurer/explorer because that's what he actually is

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Not as romantic as pirate. It's romance dawn not adventursplorer dawn

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Potato Salad posted:

everyone I've pressured to watch OPLA loved it, but some also point out that Luffy should just call himself an adventurer/explorer because that's what he actually is
Glad that the live action basically confirms that Luffy doesn't understand what a pirate is

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he doesn't do any piracy, but luffy is still very much an outlaw and the jolly rogers are a cool aesthetic. so, it's close enough.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pirate just sounds cooler

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
It's more or less a setting thing.

The actual question being like "Why did Oda set things up in this specific way"

With the answer probably being something along the lines of "gently caress the police"

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean to be fair, Luffy's entire conception of what a pirate is comes from whatever Shanks told him and Shanks is not a typical pirate.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Not as romantic as pirate. It's romance dawn not adventursplorer dawn

bromance dawn

holy smokes so much of the OPLA internet ships Sanji and Zoro

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Potato Salad posted:

bromance dawn

holy smokes so much of the OPLA internet ships Sanji and Zoro

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
Also just remembered that in one of the prototype Romance Dawn one-shots they actually had distinct classes of pirates where one were the usual pillage/kill/etc type and Luffy was the "goes on adventures and fights bad guys" type but that concept never made it to the actual series.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that's because it is dumb. classifications of different kinds of pirates would only matter between pirates. no one else is going to stop and ask if the heavily armed ship flying a jolly roger is a peacemain or whatever the gently caress. it's automatically "oh poo poo, pirates!"

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Luffy wants to be the freest man on the sea so he can escape the world government's tyrannical laws and reach his real dream of marrying a giant piece of meat on a bone and then eating it

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Glad that the live action basically confirms that Luffy doesn't understand what a pirate is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQAyspZNdtM&t=3725s

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Drakkel posted:

Also just remembered that in one of the prototype Romance Dawn one-shots they actually had distinct classes of pirates where one were the usual pillage/kill/etc type and Luffy was the "goes on adventures and fights bad guys" type but that concept never made it to the actual series.
I love Skies of Arcadia

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

Potato Salad posted:

an adventurer who constantly gets into fights with and makes an enemy of the ruling government is an outlaw, an outlaw with a sailing ship is a pirate

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Luffy wants to be the Pirate King in the same way 5 year-old me wanted to be the Darth Vader King, or the Dinosaur king.

It's just he has the will to do it, bah gawd.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

junan_paalla posted:

Luffy wants to be the freest man on the sea so he can escape the world government's tyrannical laws and reach his real dream of marrying a giant piece of meat on a bone and then eating it

That's a horrible thing to call Hancock.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I always saw Luffy as Huck Finn
A good natured chaos

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Dawgstar posted:

That's a horrible thing to call Hancock.

it would be if she was at all related to his dreams

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Jokes aside, Luffy’s a pirate because he wants to be free, the freest man in the world, and a law-abiding citizen can’t really be that because Celestial Dragons. Also it’s easy to forget because he’s the kind of person who’ll only steal gold from people who literally have no concept of it’s use as currency, but he is kind of amoral in his own way, like dude was partly responsible for the biggest prison break in history* and shows no remorse whatsoever. He won’t sit back and watch people be hurt in front of him, but often the plights of entire nations are secondary to his own personal agendas that happen to coincide with said nations.

*thinking about it, the prison break really was the perfect storm, Blackbeard let the super extreme prisoners who survived Fight Club out indirectly, but that only happened because Shiryu was on hand with the poison antidote, and that only happened because everything had already gone to poo poo and he was let out temporarily. If Luffy had never been smuggled in Blackbeard would have probably been thrown in a cell to die.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

ep 1075 an entire episode of flashback waiting for The Punch

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Infinitum posted:

ep 1075 an entire episode of flashback waiting for The Punch

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha

Funny Joke

... wait, you're serious

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Gear 5 can hold a pose for an entire 25min. Amazing.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Drakkel posted:

I do kinda wonder if that concept evolved into the pirate/marine divide - same basic concept but dropping the straight "good guy/bad guy" dynamic for Order vs Chaos instead.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Upsidads posted:

I always saw Luffy as Huck Finn
A good natured chaos

Luffy isn’t racist though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
Hasn't Luffy talked about taking gold, not just finding it, before? It seems like part of his overall plan includes plundering, but only at the conceptual level because whenever the opportunity presents itself he doesn't want to steal this time. The joke being that the one time they do steal some gold it's more picking up some lose debris and running away while the inhabitants are trying to throw more gold at them. Luffy totally wants to be a ruthless criminal it's just that, much like most things, he doesn't actually get the core concept.

It doesn't help that Luffy's concept of money itself is very shaky and he's only allowed a small allowance by the rest of the crew because he's less financially responsible than a 5 year old in a candy shop. I be the rest of the crew is just quietly accepting cash money for their service while Luffy is busy partying and eating meat at every end of arc celebration.