Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sebmojo posted:

Gibson is a stylist, and he writes kind of clipped, but the plot isn't that complicated. What aren't you clear on?

I've had trouble figuring out what's happening starting with terzi leading them to see riviera get attacked by...something? I don't even know who riviera is

also what are flatline, freeside and ice?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think you can post neuromancer plot details unspoiled at this point.

Flatline is dying, the Dixie flatline is a computerized record of a human hacker that molly stole from a big corp, ice is software designed to kill people breaking into computer systems, freeside is a space station that people live on.

Basically the plot is just Armitage assembling people and gear for a big heist, which happens up in space. The how's and why's of the heist are the mystery, which I suspect you'll also find puzzling.

mewse
May 2, 2006

actionjackson posted:

also what are flatline, freeside and ice?

Flatline: death, refers to the flat line on a heart monitor - nickname for McCoy, and the nickname has become ironic because he is actually dead

Freeside: An enormous space colony in orbit above earth - presumably called freeside because, being in space, it is in "international waters" and somewhat lawless

Ice: hacking software + security software, takes on physical forms inside cyberspace

Riviera is a magician who can induce hallucinations, who they plan to use for the heist

mewse fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Sep 8, 2023

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819VSLF9/

Age of Ash (Kithamar #1) by Daniel Abraham - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0976XDNF2/

Fortress of Owls (Fortress #3) by CJ Cherryh - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1S9A/

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

sebmojo posted:

I think you can post neuromancer plot details unspoiled at this point.

Flatline is dying, the Dixie flatline is a computerized record of a human hacker that molly stole from a big corp, ice is software designed to kill people breaking into computer systems, freeside is a space station that people live on.

Basically the plot is just Armitage assembling people and gear for a big heist, which happens up in space. The how's and why's of the heist are the mystery, which I suspect you'll also find puzzling.

thanks to you both

I'm still confused about what attacked riviera and why afterwards he was fine? I think something went through his head.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I can't actually remember the bit you are talking about, but it was possibly an illusion? That's his thing.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

sebmojo posted:

I can't actually remember the bit you are talking about, but it was possibly an illusion? That's his thing.

Yeah, Riviera has a lung removed to fit a holoprojector in his chest, leading to his escape attempt when the heist team try to strongarm him into joining

quote:

"Now," Terzibashjian said, and a brilliant beam of white light,
directed from the rooftop of the building opposite the market, pinned the
slender figure beside the ancient wooden door in a perfect circle. Bright
eyes darted left, right, and the man crumpled. Case thought someone had shot
him; he lay face down, blond hair pale against the old stone, his limp hands
white and pathetic.
The floodlight never wavered.
The back of the fallen man's jacket heaved and burst, blood
splashing the wall and doorway. A pair of impossibly long, rope-tendoned
arms flexed grayish-pink in the glare. The thing seemed to pull itself up
out of the pavement, through the inert, bloody ruin that had been Riviera.
It was two meters tall, stood on two legs, and seemed to be headless. Then
it swung slowly to face them, and Case saw that it had a head, but no neck.
It was eyeless, the skin gleaming a wet intestinal pink. The mouth, if it
was a mouth, was circular, conical, shallow, and lined with a seething
growth of hairs or bristles, glittering like black chrome. It kicked the
rags of clothing and flesh aside
and took a step, the mouth seeming to scan
for them as it moved.
Terzibashjian said something in Greek or Turkish and rushed the thing,
his arms spread like a man attempting to dive through a window. He went
through it. Into the muzzle-flash of a pistol from the dark beyond the
circle of light. Fragments of rock whizzed past Case's head; the Finn
jerked him down into a crouch.
The light from the rooftop vanished, leaving him with mismatched
afterimages of muzzle-flash, monster, and white beam. His ears rang.
Then the light returned, bobbing now, searching the shadows.
Terzibashjian was leaning against a steel door, his face very white in the
glare. He held his left wrist and watched blood drip from a wound in his
left hand. The blond man, whole again, unbloodied, lay at his feet.
Molly stepped out of the shadows, all in black, with her fletcher in
her hand.
"Use the radio," the Armenian said, through gritted teeth. "Call in
Mahmut. We must get him out of here. This is not a good place."
"Little prick nearly made it," the Finn said, his knees cracking loudly
as he stood up, brushing ineffectually at the legs of his trousers. "You
were watching the horror-show, right? Not the hamburger that got tossed out
of sight. Real cute.
Well, help 'em get his rear end outa here. I gotta
scan all that gear before he wakes up, make sure Armitage is getting his
money's worth."

Molly shoots him with a fletcher tranq and the lightshow ends

edit: first time I read Neuromancer as a teen I bounced off it hard, its a book that takes some page re-reads and some bits where you just have to go with the flow and assume you'll get context down the line.

NoneMoreNegative fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Sep 8, 2023

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Like a lot of noir it doesn’t explicitly call out whys, but in their world that’s hardly unusual, famously Chandler didn’t know how or why one murder went down in The Big Sleep, could have been related to the case but it ultimately it’s impossible for the characters to know. Similarly, losers-on-the-run books, like the great early Robert Stone novels, which Gibson often quoted as inspiration, are quite impressionistic, so ya gotta go with it.

I’m sure I didn’t get everything in that book, or many others, on the first read, but Gibson was pretty good about making you wonder about something right before he drops in context. Thinking I need a re-read, it’s been a while.

On this topic, I always imagined Case as 80’s Iggy pop, small, skinny, wired, sharp but not physically intimidating, but with some presence. Pretty sure that was all from the text and Iggy is what I came up.

I turned off to some comic adaptation on the first page when dude was some generic big dude.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

pradmer posted:

How Long 'Til Black Future Month? by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FSLQXY8/

Don't make me tap the sign again.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

mllaneza posted:

Don't make me tap the sign again.

Huh?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

pradmer posted:

House of Suns by Alistair Reynolds - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0819VSLF9/

I'm sure we've all read this but on the off chance you haven't it's arguably Reynolds' best

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

so when it says "The blond man, whole again, unbloodied, lay at his feet." him being harmed was an illusion? perhaps from the holoprojector? weird

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I've read Neuromancer several times since my childhood, and I never had a hard time following what was going on. :shrug:

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

actionjackson posted:

so when it says "The blond man, whole again, unbloodied, lay at his feet." him being harmed was an illusion? perhaps from the holoprojector? weird

In the Tamarian language, Darmok and Jelaad were two folk heroes who joined to kill the monster of Tanagra. Hence, "Darmok and Jelaad at Tanagra" became the metaphor for cooperation.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

actionjackson posted:

It's honestly pretty plain from reading the words

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
My first experience with Neuromancer was also my first experience with audiobooks, so I didn't realize it was abridged. It turns out that heavily abridging Neuromancer turns it into a barely-comprehensible fever dream / drug trip, and honestly it works. It's also read by Gibson, who knows exactly how each line is supposed to be delivered. I wouldn't recommend it as like, a definitive version, but it's certainly interesting and worth a listen. It's also available on Internet Archive!

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

zoux posted:

Is it in the Inhibitor universe or a new setting?

Utter standalone as far as I could tell.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Buy this book ! Buy this book !

There are some amazing short stories in this collection, both magical reality and science fiction. Jemisin's novels earned her her reputation, the shorts solidify it.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

Groke posted:

Utter standalone as far as I could tell.

Yeah this. If it was in another established universe, it isn't indicated in any way I could see

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Carrier posted:

Yeah this. If it was in another established universe, it isn't indicated in any way I could see

Yeah it's pretty clearly its own cosmology.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Dr Futurity by Philip K Dick - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008LQ1EUK/

mitochondritom
Oct 3, 2010

zoux posted:

I'm sure we've all read this but on the off chance you haven't it's arguably Reynolds' best

Echoing this. It's easily his best book IMO (though I loved Redemption Ark).

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

Lex Talionis posted:

The genius of A-M is that it's not really taking plot points from history, it's stealing details of real ship battles cherry-picked from similar time periods and using those for its action scenes completely divorced from whatever context the real ship battle occurred in. Mostly when people are transposing old battle technology into SF, they do it with World War II carrier battles where there really aren't enough to choose from for the A-M technique.

An example of what you're talking about with plot is Kate Elliot's Unconquered Sun, which is sort of a retelling of Alexander the Great's life as a Peter Hamilton-style doorstop space opera. I haven't read the second one yet (might wait for the third since it's supposed to be a trilogy) but thought it worked well in the first book. We don't really know much about Alexander's life so most of the details are author-invented and therefore fresh and new, just sprinkled with little bits of "lol spot the reference" for the knowledgeable (e.g. Bucephalus is a spaceship instead of a horse).

based on that para i bought unconquered son, enjoyed it and am just up to the part in the second where not-Philip II of Macedon dies (i don't need to spoiler the story closely based on a real event 2,500 years ago, right?).

they're pretty good, there's a lot of same sex relationships if that's important, although they aren't acknowledged as anything 'different' but it's in a trans humanist future where the Achaemenids have four arms, the Delphi can only see in infrared, there are high caste Persians who have parasite faces on the back of their heads that allow for quantum real time communication so why should they be?

I think the third one is due out early next year

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

actionjackson posted:

is neuromancer supposed to be kind of hard to follow on the first read?

I had trouble with it too. But when I read it nearly a decade ago.....I was probably half falling asleep or drunk.

I'll re-read it someday.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books and I'm a tech guy but the book really benefits from Gibson not being a tech guy. I've read that it's sort of a paint-by-numbers heist novel at its core and that's fine, I just really vibe with the texture and expressiveness of his writing.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

mewse posted:

Neuromancer is one of my favorite books and I'm a tech guy but the book really benefits from Gibson not being a tech guy. I've read that it's sort of a paint-by-numbers heist novel at its core and that's fine, I just really vibe with the texture and expressiveness of his writing.

Lol yeah he wrote the thing on a typewriter. He was basically a lightly punky/hippy dude who was running food co-ops and things.

I think he's considered a sort of tech guy now, but more of a "reads a lot and has a unique perspective on tech" than a "works in tech" guy.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Guy was the crown prince of a subculture that never quite formed. I think he gained some futurist cred, and he crops up in some funny places, such as a model for extremely niche japanese cyberpunk-inspired fashion.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Gibson’s work beyond Neuromancer has been some of the most strikingly, terrifyingly prescient sci-fi anyone has written, full stop. Please Mr. Gibson, write a happy book and use your powers for good.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

thotsky posted:

Guy was the crown prince of a subculture that never quite formed. I think he gained some futurist cred, and he crops up in some funny places, such as a model for extremely niche japanese cyberpunk-inspired fashion.

lol, discussions about the PERIPHERAL tv show

qirex posted:

ultimately I am glad william gibson got several million dollars out of it because he seems like an ok dude

NoneMoreNegative posted:

He can afford seven or maybe eight new jackets now

I am a big ACRONYM fan here, no shade.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Kestral posted:

Please Mr. Gibson, write a happy book and use your powers for good.

The monkey paw's curled and you got people from the future manipulating an alternate past to make Hillary Clinton president.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

thotsky posted:

It's a funny thing - the subculture never happened, but both William Gibson and Bruce Sterling have been involved in all kinds of weird vaguely-ecological tech-art and think-tanky stuff (of varying levels of influence) over the past four decades, while somehow managing to keep clear of the Silicon Valley tech pseudo-religion.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
It's really funny that Billy Idol got wind of it and tried to be the mainstream cyberpunk musical act with his concept album.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

The best (probably apocryphal) William Gibson anecdote is that after he got the advance for Neuromancer he was finally able to buy his own personal computer and was so loving disappointed

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

thotsky posted:

It's really funny that Billy Idol got wind of it and tried to be the mainstream cyberpunk musical act with his concept album.

Even funnier when I found out Gary Numan already did before him and he wasn’t such a tryhard

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I went to a reading by Gibson a while back, he gives off the impression of being very chill and down-to-earth in person, as well.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Neal Stephenson writes those big ol' doorstops with a fountain pen. Proof.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Stephenson is absolutely the last person I would guess for authors who wrote with a fountain pen, tied with Plato.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Has anyone read The Winter King? There's a tv show of it now and I watched the first episode because it got a good AV Club review, and I thought it was decent. But every other review seems to be pretty bad since the series apparently diverges a lot from the book. It adds a lot of extra Arthur scenes at the start and changes characters ages, races, and relationships. It also features bad wigs, although I did not think they were much worse than those in Rings of Power.

Anyway, if you go into it knowing its not going to be like the book at all I still think it has some strong performances. Eddie Marsen is there. He's always good.

It airing also alerted me to that a bunch of other books by that author have been adapted, so I can check out The Last Kingdom and Sharpe, which are apparently better.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

the last kingdom is a pro watch, sharpe as well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

The Last Kingdom absolutely kicks rear end, definitely watch it. The books are great too.