Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Very badass chapter showing off a lot of different aspects of both this specific battle but also the power system itself.

That being said Sukuna is alive as of the end of this chapter, he's not dead, gojo did not win and this is 100% gonna get reversal'd. If this actually is the end of the fight, leading into something else (Gojo separating Megumi and Sukuna?) or whatever I'll be very surprised and happy. Just like Gojo being on the rocks at the end of earlier chapters, we're so back, but its prolly gonna be at least a little bit all over before the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Sukuna actually created more fingers and has them in his pocket ready to eat like a senzu bean. He's been operating at half capacity this fight :v:

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I like that the flexibility of cursed energy as a power system means that a dude can make a massive comeback just by being in the zone

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
So he like... did that Unreal Tournament thing where you fire the slow floaty orb and then nail it with the quick little laser, and it does big splash damage?

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
"sukuna deez nuts" - gojou satoru, 2018

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

XkyRauh posted:

So he like... did that Unreal Tournament thing where you fire the slow floaty orb and then nail it with the quick little laser, and it does big splash damage?

Purple is just combining Red and Blue. Rather that creating them both as once like he usually does to use Purple he created them one at a time to trick Sukuna

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

XkyRauh posted:

looks that way. he duped sukuna into firing at Red and then manifested Blue just in front of his projectile. the shot took on Red’s cursed energy and struck Blue, creating the detonation

Lily Catts
Oct 17, 2012

Show me the way to you
(Heavy Metal)
Sukuna beaten by color theory. I love it

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Oxxidation posted:

looks that way. he duped sukuna into firing at Red and then manifested Blue just in front of his projectile. the shot took on Red’s cursed energy and struck Blue, creating the detonation

I think he just strengthened Blue to attract the piercing blood, and then with nothing to stop them the Red and Blue collided

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Oxxidation posted:

The Blue was already there, he just reactivated it to prevent Sukuna's water attack blowing Red up. No duplicity there just managing to out maneuver him.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
I do want to know who started the trend of characters using a seemingly nonsensical string of words/phrases to activate powers. I can think of 3 times it has happened with the primary one being Enrico Pucci from Stone Ocean.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
There were layers to that strategy and it legitimately impressed me how well it was played.

I know you want mahoraga to adapt more and I'm going to bait you with that. Mahoraga has already built up resistance to the orb that pulls you in, but I can get pulled in ahead of him because of that resistance. What's that, ya wanna gently caress with my other orb? Incantation, I just jacked your move. Oh BTW, purple. Lol.

Just played like a fiddle. God drat.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Gotta say that unless Sukuna pulls out some 'oh I could have used this to dunk on you at any moment' power up it really does feel like Gojo has this one. That or a fused 11th shadow, all according to plan situation.

If he wins by the former then that is bullshit and I'm sour. If he wins by the latter then he never had a shot at beating gojo without body jacking Megumi, which is interesting.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

(source)

As for my guess on Sukuna's CT I always felt like the "open" command made it sound like he has some kind of armory, but Cleave/Dismantle is the quickest/most efficient part of his arsenal so it's what he has prepared normally. Right now I don't think he has a way to bypass Limitless without Mahoraga unless he somehow inherits Mahoraga's adaptations which... seems farfetched, but I wouldn't be surprised if he managed to escape. Ngl though, it would be very funny if after all this suspence, we only learned of Sukuna's CT through Yuji using it later.

EDIT: Also the Fraudkuna memes are extremely funny, but the way people online seem to genuinely think that Sukuna's performance here was subpar is weird to me. He outmaneuvered Gojo and managed to make him lose his Domain Expansion *and* got Mahoraga to also Adapt to Limitless. That's hugely impressive, and considering the compressed timetable we're on at the moment, Gojo might even be unable to use Domain Expansion for the rest of the series.

Fair Bear Maiden fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Sep 8, 2023

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
I don’t get why this would be ”beating” Sukuna. He got his hand blown off… Last chapter Gojo got his arm cut off and it didn’t matter at all.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Collapsing Farts posted:

I don’t get why this would be ”beating” Sukuna. He got his hand blown off… Last chapter Gojo got his arm cut off and it didn’t matter at all.

He has no cards left in the deck. Domain expansion/ Mahoraga and domain amplification are the only cards he has in the deck to get through Limitless that we know of. He was losing before he pulled out domain expansion and Mahoraga, without them he can’t beat Gojo.

Could be that Yorozu gave him a copy of the inverted spear, like Maki received a copy of the Soul Render but who knows .

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Asuron posted:

Could be that Yorozu gave him a copy of the inverted spear, like Maki received a copy of the Soul Render but who knows .

Nah, Yorozu's Construction was specified to be unable of replicating cursed tools. Also, Sukuna's output is extremely low right now. Gojo losing his arm was also a big deal for the same reason, and it's only because of the second Black Flash that he got through it.

Speaking of... we never got an explanation of how Hakari got his arm back.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I think that one senior sorcerer that's a medic is hinted at being the reason his arm is back.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Mahoraga fusing with the rest of the ten shadows beasts and owning Gojo, or Sukuna revealing he can use Megumi's domain because it's separate from Malevolent Shrine and owning Gojo is all I can see happening here. Or Sukuna busts out the rest of his technique.

Gojo did effectively beat him which is why Gojo is boned. Gojo is just stronger, he didn't have a choice in destroying Mahoraga to win- and since nobody has ever tamed Mahoraga nobody knows what happens when the tamed version is destroyed. Sukuna didn't 5th dimensional chess him; he lucked out with a stolen technique after getting his rear end kicked in a straight up fight.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Nah, Yorozu's Construction was specified to be unable of replicating cursed tools. Also, Sukuna's output is extremely low right now. Gojo losing his arm was also a big deal for the same reason, and it's only because of the second Black Flash that he got through it.

He has his arm back??? I didn’t even notice. Because Inumaki doesn’t have his arm

E: I love Jjk, and I can’t get over how Gojo winning is such a subversion of the trope of “teacher dies and inspires his students to be stronger”

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 8, 2023

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Whatever happens surely Gojo has to take some kind of long-term permanent injury if it's not a loss or a mutual kill because otherwise Kenjaku and crew get swatted like flies and the series is just over. Insane thought but maybe JJK will attempt it?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Pierson posted:

Whatever happens surely Gojo has to take some kind of long-term permanent injury if it's not a loss or a mutual kill because otherwise Kenjaku and crew get swatted like flies and the series is just over. Insane thought but maybe JJK will attempt it?
We don't know if Gojo is permanently locked out of using his domain again, which removes his instant "I win" button. Limitless is really insanely powerful but it's not something that's *impossible* to deal with on its own.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Pierson posted:

It would be kinda funny

*teleports to Kenjaku*

*blast him with hollow purple*

*gives a big thumbs up to everyone watching and manga ends*

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

I think that one senior sorcerer that's a medic is hinted at being the reason his arm is back.

I don't think so? I mean, Inumaki didn't get his arm regenerated, so there's limits to how much she can do. And as far as we know, Hakari can't open his domani without doing the handsigns. Best theory I've read is that he just went back and got his old arm that had been amputated and got it reattached with reverse cursed technique.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

he played pachinko and won a jackpot

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
kenjaku's definitely just hiding off to the side waiting to gank them both

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
We the audience have known from the beginning that Sukuna has been holding onto potential trump cards, a notion that's even been diegeticaly remarked upon in the last couple chapters. Maybe he busts out a Heian-era cursed tool he's got stored up his rear end (or whatever the true nature of his CT is)? But that's a mutual KO if Gojo counters with Domain Expansion now that he's been so weakened and Mahoraga is gone.

We've got to remember that, setting aside broader goals like stopping Kenjaku, this fight was a challenge to conclusively prove who is the strongest, with each party confident they could best the other in a direct contest of strength and cursed techniques. As far as Sukuna is concerned, if Gojo gains the upper hand on him then subsequently forcing a tie in desperation our out of spite is his loss and a critical hit to his ego, and probably messes with the method to fully assimilate into Megumi.

With that in mind I'd be satisfied with any conclusion that isn't more 10 Shadows bullshit.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Yeah the biggest issue I have is that the "king of curses" has only used a borrowed technique he just acquired (10 shadows), for this entire fight

Where is his own stuff? Where is Sukunas version of blue, red and purple? Where are his devastating techniques that crowned him the strongest creature in his own era? Until we see his own tools and someone beating them, I don't see Sukuna being killed. I'm also not sure how they can even beat him without killing Megumi. Gojo probably won't just disintigrate the body and Megumi with it

There's still so much that can happen

Collapsing Farts fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 8, 2023

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Sukuna used his domain to slash the poo poo out of Gojo. He used dismantle a bit to destroy the environment.

He has not used:
1. The technique he used to smoke Jougo
2. The "gift" that he got from the sorcerer who possessed Megumi's sister.
3. Megumi's domain, which is definitely an x factor here.
4. Any bullshit the Ten Shadows technique has that maybe all parties are not aware of

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I don't think so? I mean, Inumaki didn't get his arm regenerated, so there's limits to how much she can do. And as far as we know, Hakari can't open his domani without doing the handsigns. Best theory I've read is that he just went back and got his old arm that had been amputated and got it reattached with reverse cursed technique.
He lost his arm to an explosion so we can reasonably rule out that ht was just re-attached. I don't have anything to add because other than RCT I can't think of a good reason his arm would be back unless someone could stand in place for his missing limb and help him roll his slots until he got a jackpot.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Maybe Gege forgot? Get another Bleach situation here where Hikari randomly does and doesn't have his arm in each chapter.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Hakari is used to self healing on reflex, but without his domain he at least has experienced it. Maybe he learned rct (E: potentially sukunas attacks hit the soul which prevents regen or something)

Who am I kidding, Gege forgot.

Also holy poo poo this fight has been 12 loving chapters

Bread Set Jettison fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Sep 8, 2023

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Brought To You By posted:

He lost his arm to an explosion so we can reasonably rule out that ht was just re-attached. I don't have anything to add because other than RCT I can't think of a good reason his arm would be back unless someone could stand in place for his missing limb and help him roll his slots until he got a jackpot.

No the first time it was just cut off by lightning, which he regenerated. Meaning that arm was presumably still lying somewhere, kind of like Gojo's original arm is still somewhere around in Shinjuku.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Conspiratiorist posted:

We the audience have known from the beginning that Sukuna has been holding onto potential trump cards, a notion that's even been diegeticaly remarked upon in the last couple chapters. Maybe he busts out a Heian-era cursed tool he's got stored up his rear end (or whatever the true nature of his CT is)? But that's a mutual KO if Gojo counters with Domain Expansion now that he's been so weakened and Mahoraga is gone.

We've got to remember that, setting aside broader goals like stopping Kenjaku, this fight was a challenge to conclusively prove who is the strongest, with each party confident they could best the other in a direct contest of strength and cursed techniques. As far as Sukuna is concerned, if Gojo gains the upper hand on him then subsequently forcing a tie in desperation our out of spite is his loss and a critical hit to his ego, and probably messes with the method to fully assimilate into Megumi.

With that in mind I'd be satisfied with any conclusion that isn't more 10 Shadows bullshit.

I don't think Gojo can use Domain Expansion still.

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
He technically can, but like Sukuna said forcing it would probably kill him.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Fabricated posted:

Sukuna used his domain to slash the poo poo out of Gojo. He used dismantle a bit to destroy the environment.

He has not used:
1. The technique he used to smoke Jougo
2. The "gift" that he got from the sorcerer who possessed Megumi's sister.
3. Megumi's domain, which is definitely an x factor here.
4. Any bullshit the Ten Shadows technique has that maybe all parties are not aware of

I firmly believe that sukuna's not in a position to use any of that and the proclamation of gojo's victory is sincere. he really did just win the fight

but I also think he's still gonna die and sukuna won't. this is the time other people start to come into play to spoil the fun

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Hakari is used to self healing on reflex, but without his domain he at least has experienced it. Maybe he learned rct (E: potentially sukunas attacks hit the soul which prevents regen or something)

Who am I kidding, Gege forgot.

Also holy poo poo this fight has been 12 loving chapters

Nope, Hakari even said he'll get back his arm shortly after the fight when asked about it.

Maybe he has some other way of getting the domain to open, like Dagon did by using ink to make a domain on his body when they were stopping him from using his hands

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

No the first time it was just cut off by lightning, which he regenerated. Meaning that arm was presumably still lying somewhere, kind of like Gojo's original arm is still somewhere around in Shinjuku.

That could be it then.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

clapping like a loving seal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
It was stated that a Ten Shadows User beat a Limitless user in the past so perhaps the reason for that is revealed next chapter?