Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Luffy isn’t racist though.

Neither is Huck Finn.

Besides, Zoro's the racist one.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The Orochi death scene looked cool at least

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Last Celebration posted:

Jokes aside, Luffy’s a pirate because he wants to be free, the freest man in the world, and a law-abiding citizen can’t really be that because Celestial Dragons. Also it’s easy to forget because he’s the kind of person who’ll only steal gold from people who literally have no concept of it’s use as currency, but he is kind of amoral in his own way, like dude was partly responsible for the biggest prison break in history* and shows no remorse whatsoever. He won’t sit back and watch people be hurt in front of him, but often the plights of entire nations are secondary to his own personal agendas that happen to coincide with said nations.

*thinking about it, the prison break really was the perfect storm, Blackbeard let the super extreme prisoners who survived Fight Club out indirectly, but that only happened because Shiryu was on hand with the poison antidote, and that only happened because everything had already gone to poo poo and he was let out temporarily. If Luffy had never been smuggled in Blackbeard would have probably been thrown in a cell to die.

Even if Luffy never showed up at Impel Down, I imagine Blackbeard would've still done his Fight Club, only with the prison not in high alert and maybe they could've sneaked by the guards.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Infinitum posted:

ep 1075 an entire episode of flashback waiting for The Punch

It was like that in the manga too

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mraagvpeine posted:

Even if Luffy never showed up at Impel Down, I imagine Blackbeard would've still done his Fight Club, only with the prison not in high alert and maybe they could've sneaked by the guards.

Yeah, Magellon getting involved was largely due to Luffy's antics and sneakiness. Blackbeard at least seems to be the type of guy to actually be on the look out for surveillance and who wouldn't go creating massive attention grabbing disturbances. The Darkness fruit also likely would act as a counter to virtually all the traps and attacks they would face prior to breaking out of level 6.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Luffy isn’t racist though.

I'll leave this here. She goes over huck better than I can
https://www.thirteen.org/programs/its-lit/why-do-people-think-huck-finn-is-racist-0rhbwg/

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Infinitum posted:

Happened in the manga and they did some really cool elaborations that made it better. I think it was pretty good, for a chapter I didn’t like either at the time

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Infinitum posted:

its still sick

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Julias posted:

It was like that in the manga too

I mean yeah, and it shouldn't be a surprise how much they're stretching it out at this point, but it's just funny Luffy is effectively hovering in the air for 25min

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean it's not like Blackbeard even attempted to stealth his way into Impel Down. Dude literally just kicked the door down and attacked everyone that crossed his path. The fact that there happened to be a breakout happening at the same time was pure coincidence he couldn't possibly have known about going in and was the only reason he made it out alive.

It's one of the many like, contradictory things about Blackbeard. He makes a lot of convoluted plans but at the same time his plans also involve a lot of dumb luck (or Fate as he'd call it) to succeed. He wants to recruit guys from Impel Down so he goes "I'll simply invade the prison and defeat anyone that gets in my way" and had no plan for what to do if Magellan showed up and one-shot his entire crew.

BoosterDuck
Mar 2, 2019
couldnt teach use the darkness to nullify magellans poison while van auger snipes at him

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It is entirely possible that Teach's plan was to basically go up to Impel Down, ask he if could go down to Level 6, and then do his fight club with Megellan and Hannyabal none the wiser, with a whole lot of "FATE" filling in the gaps.

This is deeply stupid but it's about the level of planning most of Teach's schemes have.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

all this impel talk just makes me miss the star of that arc - Bon Clay
for a wordy manga the wordless panels of him fighting regular rear end wolves all the more outstanding

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Drakkel posted:

I mean it's not like Blackbeard even attempted to stealth his way into Impel Down. Dude literally just kicked the door down and attacked everyone that crossed his path. The fact that there happened to be a breakout happening at the same time was pure coincidence he couldn't possibly have known about going in and was the only reason he made it out alive.

It's one of the many like, contradictory things about Blackbeard. He makes a lot of convoluted plans but at the same time his plans also involve a lot of dumb luck (or Fate as he'd call it) to succeed. He wants to recruit guys from Impel Down so he goes "I'll simply invade the prison and defeat anyone that gets in my way" and had no plan for what to do if Magellan showed up and one-shot his entire crew.

All of blackbeards plays are the fastest shortcuts to power, and probably the best ones, but they're still risky as hell

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Last Celebration posted:

Jokes aside, Luffy’s a pirate because he wants to be free, the freest man in the world, and a law-abiding citizen can’t really be that because Celestial Dragons. Also it’s easy to forget because he’s the kind of person who’ll only steal gold from people who literally have no concept of it’s use as currency, but he is kind of amoral in his own way, like dude was partly responsible for the biggest prison break in history* and shows no remorse whatsoever. He won’t sit back and watch people be hurt in front of him, but often the plights of entire nations are secondary to his own personal agendas that happen to coincide with said nations.

*thinking about it, the prison break really was the perfect storm, Blackbeard let the super extreme prisoners who survived Fight Club out indirectly, but that only happened because Shiryu was on hand with the poison antidote, and that only happened because everything had already gone to poo poo and he was let out temporarily. If Luffy had never been smuggled in Blackbeard would have probably been thrown in a cell to die.

I dig all this fine One Piece talk in here, yes indeedy. Not to focus on one detail, but for me I don't think Luffy had those worldly reasons for being a pirate, right? We didn't learn about the Celestial Dragons until way later, and I know they had the flashback arc that filled in a bit more of his tough childhood. But overall he had very innocent and fun naive reasons for wanting to be a pirate. I like that Luffy has this kind of eccentric lovable way of looking at the world. Luffy decided to be a pirate when he was a little kid is my point pretty much, and even as an adult he seems very much like a doesn't mind the details kind of guy.

It's cool rebellion and it added some oomph as the series went on and he declared war with the government and all that rad stuff. I just don't think that's at the heart of his thing. I think he'd want to be free and do this pirate thing even if the government was fairly sensible and non-corrupt. But it certainly adds something to the mix.

Amoral is a cool way to put it, I guess I just look at him a bit differently. Part of the magic of a character like Luffy is the space left to read stuff into it. I think he's single-minded, makes his calls from his gut in the moment, and does the best he can with what he's got. Sometimes that can get messy, like you're saying. If say some of the escaped people from Impel Down go on to hurt others etc. But I like that Luffy isn't perfect, I don't think he's amoral myself, I just think he in a way compromised since he made the best call he could in a dire situation. Plus there's this I guess innately naive or innocent thing where he would hope for good in everyone, especially when most needed. But it is true he'll break some eggs for that omelette, and he's one bad mother.

Upsidads posted:

I always saw Luffy as Huck Finn
A good natured chaos

I like the sound of that. Although his Kenshiro ways of cracking his knuckles and toppling the local despot guy to save the downtrodden locals isn't very chaos-y. But Luffy definitely has a lot of nuances to him over the years.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Luffy can't even pronounce libertarian

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

He's got twaibs style ussop has his linguistic flare though

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Big "cool pirate" government, pirately social democracy, universal income because having a job isn't fun, and you need to chase your dreams.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

…chapter?

Edit: another week and a half gently caress

Kart Barfunkel fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Sep 10, 2023

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

The One Piece is a threat to the World Government. Seeking the One Piece is opposing the government. Luffy is engaging in fundamentally illegal activities and the government is going to label him a pirate.

Plus, the first thing he did was raid a Navy base.

Heavy Metal
Sep 1, 2014

America's $1 Funnyman

Speaking of Huck Finn, fitting to the thread that the 80s anime version of Tom Sawyer is the one on my to-do list. I hear that's a cool one.

Eiba posted:

The One Piece is a threat to the World Government. Seeking the One Piece is opposing the government. Luffy is engaging in fundamentally illegal activities and the government is going to label him a pirate.

For sure. I was just mentioning, I think the increasingly messed up world government came to light futher into the series. And maybe Oda figured that out along the way. Morgan could have been a rogue corrupt guy in an otherwise kind of ok government when the series started. And I don't think the messed up stuff like the Celestial Dragons were in mind when he decided to become a pirate as a kid. I don't think anybody would say that Luffy wasn't happy to be an outlaw from day one, just talking about his motivations for choosing that life.

Technically the first thing he did officially officially on his journey was punch a sea king. Then punch Alvida etc.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I love that the very first friend Luffy makes on his journey turns out to have the dream of being a great marine, an occupation in complete opposition to Luffy's chosen way of life, and Luffy's reaction is,"Awesome! Go for it dude, you're gonna do great!"

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Gyges posted:

Hasn't Luffy talked about taking gold, not just finding it, before?

Yup, he woke Nami from her sleep to say 'ayo let's steal some Skypeia gold' and then they booked it when they thought they were gonna be caught

Only to run away from a MASSIVE pillar of gold from said Skypeians who were gonna give it to them as a gift :v:

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
when was the last time the strawhats even acquired money, anyway? thriller bark?

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Whatever your opinion on ep 1075 the cinematography was insanely good. Just in general, let alone as an episode of a weekly aired interminable shonen cartoon.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

White Light posted:

Yup, he woke Nami from her sleep to say 'ayo let's steal some Skypeia gold' and then they booked it when they thought they were gonna be caught

Only to run away from a MASSIVE pillar of gold from said Skypeians who were gonna give it to them as a gift :v:

the pillar is one of my favorite plot points in One Piece, because it’s 99% likely that when Bellamy took the “you’ll definitely get there but everyone’s gonna die on the way up” route to Skypeia, he told the Skypeians he was a pirate and they immediately went “oh poo poo, you must know Luffy, can you take this pillar of gold down to the blue sea to him?”

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

If you called Luffy a libertarian he’d say “Go ask Robin you need a book.”

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Red Shoes Zeff sounds so silly.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Otoh being called “Red Foot” because your feet are caked in the blood of your foes kinda goes hard.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

when was the last time the strawhats even acquired money, anyway? thriller bark?

They have to be earning money off panel because just the bill for the food, booze, and cola has got to be a fortune. Hell, they might be getting some unofficial government "loans" from several grateful and rich monarchs. Either way, we've only been told the crew account balance twice, and that was two years ago. If nothing else Brook has to rich as gently caress, and there's no way Nami didn't make money during the time skip.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

The WG definitely seized Brook's accounts when they figured out he was a Straw Hat

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Eiba posted:

To be fair though the WG is corrupt as gently caress with an entire subset of people that are entirely above the law (even Garp and Smoker have a pretty low opinion of them despite continuing to serve as Marines), also considering that researching the Void Century is a crime punishable by mass genocide they're likely illegitimate as well. Otherwise, aside from Nami being a thief (which I think was dropped not long after Arlong Park) I don't really remember the Strawhats really engaging in any other acts of piracy.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:44 on Sep 10, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

- Broke out 1000 criminals from Impel Down
-

I was gonna write a list of more piratey things done, but that was all I could think of.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Bisse posted:

- Broke out 1000 criminals from Impel Down
-

I was gonna write a list of more piratey things done, but that was all I could think of.

Oh yeah, that too

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

They stole my heart

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wanna see Luffy and Guybrush meet

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Larryb posted:

To be fair though the WG is corrupt as gently caress with an entire subset of people that are entirely above the law (even Garp and Smoker have a pretty low opinion of them despite continuing to serve as Marines), also considering that researching the Void Century is a crime punishable by mass genocide they're likely illegitimate as well. Otherwise, aside from Nami being a thief (which I think was dropped not long after Arlong Park) I don't really remember the Strawhats really engaging in any other acts of piracy.
The cruel thief "Cat Burglar" Nami stole everyone's wallets before leaving Cocoyasi Village

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

nami stole zeus

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
Luffy and Chopper ate a civilian house.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Wanton destruction of Onigashima, which was private property legally ceded to Kaidou by the governingbody of the land