Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

punished milkman
Dec 5, 2018

would have won

Real hurthling! posted:

i kinda want a new ys game

longing for butt rock

i played the one on the treasure island and it was surprisingly sick. i’d like to see a new one with a higher budget and less ps2 graphics

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Real hurthling! posted:

longing for butt rock

hell yea brother

actually i never played the newest werewolf one but it looks a bit open world assy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Real hurthling! posted:

longing for butt rock

i only really played 2, i l iked oath of felghana and this tower of babel one. i have absolutely no idea what was going on plot but was an decent hack-n-slash like zenonia or w/e.

then i tried one with some bumper combat and it loving sucked and uninstalled and havent touched a ys game since. still no idea what they're about

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Xaris posted:

i only really played 2, i l iked oath of felghana and this tower of babel one. i have absolutely no idea what was going on plot but was an decent hack-n-slash like zenonia or w/e.

then i tried one with some bumper combat and it loving sucked and uninstalled and havent touched a ys game since. still no idea what they're about

Adol has red hair and he kills monsters and chicks love him

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lpzie posted:

Todd Howard is a genius. he understands there's no point making a Great Good. instead, make a Bad Bame, but sprinkle in a little bit of OK Game so ppl latch on to that and proclaim it as Good Game. the human mind will forget the Bad and the human ego will promote the Good.

What the Bethesda games accomplish is mainly "having a huge amount of of content in a decent setting"

The huge amount of content basically causes you to get invested in the setting.

Xaris posted:

is this a running bit or are you actually on ng+6

i gotta say, knowing that i lose all my ship/resources/outposts/etc on each NG+ has kinda put a little damper on my current NG playthrough because i'm like well i'm probably not going to build big outposts right now, might as well wait to NG+, well no point in picking up the space rock right now

I've grown to be kind of mixed about it. On one hand, what you said. But on the other hand it's vaguely freeing. I don't waste my time caring about the more tedious things (like outposts, which just seem like a pain in the rear end - having a big/cool ship seems far more appealing, since you actually spend time on it, but I don't really see the point of having a fancy outpost that I can just sit around in and, I dunno, just acquire the resources it's gathered?).

Does anyone know if there's an actual "end"? Are the NG+ events scripted, or is it a situation where there's a random thing that happens for each one? Are there unlimited NG+s?

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Frosted Flake posted:

e: Do all companions have interesting dialogue in all quest lines? Should I keep doing all of Freestar Rangers with Coe, knowing I can do NG+ with someone else?

yes

I did the Rangers with Andreja, and it's basically designed to make her dislike you, until you get to know her better and understand her whole... deal

but then you'd have to compromise your judgement and values just to please her, and wouldn't that be a thing, huh?

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Barret actually has no problem with going full pirate in the crimson fleet quest as long as you keep the civilian kill count down and don't shout about how much you love murder

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

The Oldest Man posted:

Barret actually has no problem with going full pirate in the crimson fleet quest as long as you keep the civilian kill count down and don't shout about how much you love murder
Piracy with a human face?

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

oh it's real...

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

slowing down though cause I wanna try the main quest again. took off my boba fett iron Man outfit and switched to the frontier again. time to slum it with the dimensional normies and maybe sometimes know things I shouldn't. 😉👍

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I keep seeing tweets from people, with clout or without, all saying that Starfield is good.

And like, I'm not saying I disagree, but I didn't really see this kind of effort for other games to try to extol how good it was. Hogwarts Legends was just "is it moral for me to play this game?", and TOTK and BG3 leapt immediately to everyone talking about what they were doing in the game as they played it.

Is it really because of the Bethesda stereotype divisiveness?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Bethesda fan boys and probably a few accounts being bought for marketing purposes but that is like dirt cheap and easy to do

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

I keep seeing tweets from people, with clout or without, all saying that Starfield is good.

And like, I'm not saying I disagree, but I didn't really see this kind of effort for other games to try to extol how good it was. Hogwarts Legends was just "is it moral for me to play this game?", and TOTK and BG3 leapt immediately to everyone talking about what they were doing in the game as they played it.

i think there's some microsoft promo bullshit going on but for most actual people bethesda games, like most looter games, appeal to the lizard brain that's actually quite hard to quantify in text without seeming like a maniac. the parts that are good about TOTK and BG3 are more discrete and easier to describe without sounding suspicious out of context

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

gradenko_2000 posted:

it’s because it is good

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I think you're maybe noticing people saying it's good because you largely disagree? Like theres no shortage of haters, and yeah maybe theres a relative handful who are going out of their way to say good things about it in response, but every person I personally know who was ehhh about it has been won over.

I think the worst you can say about it is that it's the sum of its parts - no more, no less - but that it has a LOT of parts. Hogwarts was pure culture war and BG3 is both better and jankier, but nobody who played it cares because it let then be a horny weirdo without any real people around to call them a creep

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Just in the first few hours it already has more charm and humor than Skyrim did but, if I had to put my money on one thing, it would be that I think a lot people are just happy as hell to have the sort of casual experience they like in a non-medieval fantasy setting

Whirling
Feb 23, 2023

So, for those of you who've gotten far along in Starfield, did any of you get somebody other than the Unitarian church guy for the Hunter?

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

the weapon variety in Starfield is good. except for the lack of punch weapons, that is very bad.

Anime Schoolgirl
Nov 28, 2002

Whirling posted:

So, for those of you who've gotten far along in Starfield, did any of you get somebody other than the Unitarian church guy for the Hunter?
His identity doesn't change according to the playthrough like the Emissary does.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Punished Turtle posted:

it’s because it is good

THANK YOUpunished turtle !!

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Whirling posted:

nope. seems to always be him for me. the emissary changes everytime it seems tho..

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
https://i.imgur.com/oKNclAF.mp4

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

try that in space...

Lin-Manuel Turtle
Jul 12, 2023

Lpzie posted:

THANK YOUpunished turtle !!

Don’t thank me, thank your lucky ✨ 🌟 💫
People want to hedge, want to forestall objections by agreeing that there are problems with Starfield, but that it is good regardless. These people are cowards more despicable than any Todd hater(he never lied, you could climb that mountain) Have the courage of your convictions! Starfield is great.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Punished Turtle posted:

it’s because it is bad

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Lpzie posted:

try that in space...

oh no he doesn't drive the course, you press E at the start of the race. those are all fast travel cutscenes.

smarxist
Jul 26, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm sorry, i do gotta laugh that the first thing you shoot and kill after becoming chosen and escaping the imperial mining prison are some loving space crabs that look home in Morrowind lol

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

I'm in this picture and I don't like it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Real hurthling! posted:

longing for butt rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAha8KJ20Z0

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

smarxist posted:

i'm sorry, i do gotta laugh that the first thing you shoot and kill after becoming chosen and escaping the imperial mining prison are some loving space crabs that look home in Morrowind lol

The most annoying planet for me is this one where the whole ecosystem is crabs. Grazing crabs, hunting crabs, swarming crabs, filter crabs.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lmfao. Maybe people are just enjoying a game

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's ok and fine and very decent which is the type of game to induce the most psychosis about insisting it's either a 10/10 or a -1/10

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

DaysBefore posted:

Lmfao. Maybe people are just enjoying a game

It's a great game lots of fun

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Keep seeing people, bouth clouted and cloutless, saying 'icecream is good :)'. Who tf is behind this??

my bony fealty
Oct 1, 2008

It's a small thing but you can ask the bartender in the Astro Lounge for food recs and then you can buy those foods, there's loads of fun little details all over the world. It's weird how dead and boring New Atlantis feels compared to Neon. Like they shouldn't even be in the same game.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

my bony fealty posted:

It's a small thing but you can ask the bartender in the Astro Lounge for food recs and then you can buy those foods, there's loads of fun little details all over the world. It's weird how dead and boring New Atlantis feels compared to Neon. Like they shouldn't even be in the same game.

I wonder what order they were worked on? There's a lot of life to New Hope and Red Mile too.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

They were probably different development teams, each having their own city/area to build out

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

DaysBefore posted:

Keep seeing people, bouth clouted and cloutless, saying 'icecream is good :)'. Who tf is behind this??

I mean there's obviously a difference between discourse where everyone is talking about things they've done or are doing in the game, and you kind of assume that the game is good by implication (again, how I observed TOTK or BG3 or Elden Ring or AC6), or it wouldn't have so many people playing it and talking about what they're doing while they're playing it, versus this sort of thing:

quote:

Quick Starfield review. I've been playing non stop. Just ended a 9h session. Look man, I don't know how ppl give the game a 7. I understand reviews are subjective but I think being a jaded burnout factors in. I can see that if you're forced to play games for work every week. I can see nitpicking things tnat most people won't care about. But a 7 for the scope, scale and execution of Starfield is not something I consider a serious review.

quote:

And that's STARFIELD. I've only completed the main quest and touched a bit of the side stuff (so who knows, NG+ could destroy my sentiments) but atm: it's the best single player game I've ever played.

Everything I was hoping for and more.

So excited to go live to talk about it tomorrow!

Thank you @BethesdaStudios @StarfieldGame @XboxP3 - this had to be a hell of a boulder to push up the hill. But y'all made a drat classic and it touched my soul. I'm so appreciative!

where it's like they're trying to convince you it's good in a sort of "tell not show" way

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

That first one is a perfect example of ok game psychosis. It's a perfect game, everyone who dislikes it is psychology damaged, no I won't tell you what I actually liked about it.