Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Lone Goat posted:

are these in any order? supsups numbers are all lower than the one after it

Its going by best average rating. So Supsup is probably 4.95 or whatever and Mother of Learning is 4.93 which are both rounded up to 5 stars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

DACK FAYDEN posted:

how on earth is the perfect run third I hate everything

Because it is a good story.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
I liked The Perfect Run. Not as much as SupSup or MoL, and it's maybe not my third favorite on RR, but it's in the top 5% easy.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

poo poo's going down in Slumrat!

By which I mean it's getting stubbed for KU. Better catch up now if you were putting off reading it.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

Yeah, if you aren’t turned off by the MC’s personality, The Perfect Run is pretty dang good. I don’t know if I would put it on my personal top five, but I’m not at all surprised that it’s near the top on RR.

Speaking of my personal top five, I didn’t realize how much I looked forward to Thresholder until the author took a break. It’s a good time for the break on Patreon, but I’m really itching to see where things go from there.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lone Goat posted:

are these in any order? supsups numbers are all lower than the one after it
Would imagine rating is the sole determinant of order, as another poster said - otherwise Mother of Learning would be on top forever, since it was on there earlier and has been complete for ages so it would just have more of all those other numbers than everyone else.

Bremen posted:

I liked The Perfect Run. Not as much as SupSup or MoL, and it's maybe not my third favorite on RR, but it's in the top 5% easy.
...well, yeah. Everything anyone in this thread likes is probably the top 5%. There's a lot of garbage poo poo content. But I hated the protagonist's personality and I'm well aware that's just me and he changes and and and but life's too short to waste.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

DACK FAYDEN posted:

...well, yeah. Everything anyone in this thread likes is probably the top 5%. There's a lot of garbage poo poo content. But I hated the protagonist's personality and I'm well aware that's just me and he changes and and and but life's too short to waste.

You're certainly not alone in not liking The Prefect Run. I really hated the first 1/3 of it, thought the next 50% was very mid, and thought it had an above average ending. Most of my complaints are due to Ryan being insufferable. Much of the rest of the cast is fine though. It would not get a recommendation from me.

Nitrousoxide fucked around with this message at 21:26 on Sep 7, 2023

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Would imagine rating is the sole determinant of order, as another poster said - otherwise Mother of Learning would be on top forever, since it was on there earlier and has been complete for ages so it would just have more of all those other numbers than everyone else.

I believe it's a combination of rating and popularity, so a story with only a single review (that happens to be 5 stars) doesn't bounce to the top.

And for what it's worth, I meant the top 5% of stories I've read. Which come to think of it might be excessive, since I have no idea if I've read more or less than a hundred stories on RR.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

I tried The Perfect Run and bounced off it hard too.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

The protagonist of The Perfect Run is pretty weird and perhaps slightly insane, but it's worth keeping in mind that for the first dozen chapters or so he's deliberately acting out a wacky persona. He's actually a much more down to earth person than he initially appears.

But if people don't enjoy it that's fine, I'm sure it's not for everyone. I was just theorizing why it might have higher ratings than people who didn't like it feel is warranted.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
I don't mind it because 3-4 of the serials I read are on hiatus right now, am current with the ~10 active ones that have had conversation in here and since I have ~30-45m to fill before sleep, marginal stuff like the perfect run and random KU stuff fills that void.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Bremen posted:

The protagonist of The Perfect Run is pretty weird and perhaps slightly insane, but it's worth keeping in mind that for the first dozen chapters or so he's deliberately acting out a wacky persona. He's actually a much more down to earth person than he initially appears.

But if people don't enjoy it that's fine, I'm sure it's not for everyone. I was just theorizing why it might have higher ratings than people who didn't like it feel is warranted.

His personality isn't any more likeable after the first dozen or so chapters either, I made it to Chapter 38 before dropping it and he still is terrible and annoying

Piell fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 7, 2023

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

DACK FAYDEN posted:

My biggest issue with Perfect Run is that the fundamental tone of it is just...like the best way I can explain it is that it's heavy with tropes from a certain "Western comics" perspective. The protagonist has mental issues/trauma and his behavior is linked to that, but it's extremely obvious that, as the readers, we're supposed to think he's still really cool and badass. He drives people away because of his behavior...but they still can't help being drawn to him, because he is so charismatic. It's "cool/badass crazy" in the same vein as, I don't know, Deadpool or something (though it takes itself more seriously than that). And his eventual love interest (at least at the point I got to) is very much the Western cape comic version of a "waifu." It's basically a different flavor of "cool guy protagonist" story.

To avoid being all negative, though, the series is very good at memorable imagery/character designs (like the Zeus-themed guy), and the action scenes are generally coherent and entertaining. And that's not a minor thing - most action/superhero serials seem to fail at it. And it's consistent/professional enough in execution that it's not difficult for me to see how it pulled ahead over most competitors.

Speaking of imagery/character designs, I think this is probably my biggest criticism of Super Supportive. I don't really have a clear mental picture of many things in the story. My mental image of Grivecks was very off* (because I had missed/forgotten the one place where their appearance was described in detail) and I also have a pretty hard time accurately imagining Artonans (my mental image has them looking similar to very short versions of the aliens from the Avatar movies lol, even though I know that's not accurate). Their appearance was also described early on, but I feel like the writing needs to be sprinkled with more things reminded you of the physical characteristics of the characters in question (since I don't exactly remember the paragraph describing them from like 60+ chapters ago). Similarly, I have trouble imagining what the various environments on Anesidora or LeafSong University look like. It's true that I'm abnormally bad at mentally visualizing things, but some stories still manage to pull it off. PracGuide being the king of this - for whatever reason, I always had an extremely easy time visualizing all its characters and scenes. And even Wildbow was very good at this with his various characters/costumes in Worm/Ward. I still have an extremely clear mental image of the major Worm characters even though it's been many years since I read it.

* I imagined them similarly to Beerus from DBZ lol; had completely forgotten about the "walking on 4 legs" thing until it was mentioned again at some point

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
I picture the Artonans as a 2 armed version of the purple alien chef from Futurama.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of imagery/character designs, I think this is probably my biggest criticism of Super Supportive. I don't really have a clear mental picture of many things in the story. My mental image of Grivecks was very off* (because I had missed/forgotten the one place where their appearance was described in detail) and I also have a pretty hard time accurately imagining Artonans (my mental image has them looking similar to very short versions of the aliens from the Avatar movies lol, even though I know that's not accurate). Their appearance was also described early on, but I feel like the writing needs to be sprinkled with more things reminded you of the physical characteristics of the characters in question (since I don't exactly remember the paragraph describing them from like 60+ chapters ago). Similarly, I have trouble imagining what the various environments on Anesidora or LeafSong University look like. It's true that I'm abnormally bad at mentally visualizing things, but some stories still manage to pull it off. PracGuide being the king of this - for whatever reason, I always had an extremely easy time visualizing all its characters and scenes. And even Wildbow was very good at this with his various characters/costumes in Worm/Ward. I still have an extremely clear mental image of the major Worm characters even though it's been many years since I read it.

* I imagined them similarly to Beerus from DBZ lol; had completely forgotten about the "walking on 4 legs" thing until it was mentioned again at some point

Wittgen posted:

I picture the Artonans as a 2 armed version of the purple alien chef from Futurama.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
artonans are andalites minus the horse

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Nettle Soup posted:

SS71 (direct quote): Alden had been concealing his true thoughts a lot lately. Sometimes out of necessity, sometimes because it was just easier not to give everyone else an opening to pry at painful things. But occasionally, some expression would cross Stuart’s face that reminded him of what the boy had looked like that day. When he was younger. When he watched his father and his sister in the snow.

“I was really scared for a long time,” Alden said eventually. “I think I still am. I need to get over it. Throwing myself at something challenging that will make me stronger might not be a perfect answer, but it seems like an answer. So I’m chasing it.”

Stuart sat there quietly, leaning back against the trunk of the tree for ages. Finally, just when Alden thought the other boy must have decided that the best answer was none at all, he said, “I wish you were my classmate at LeafSong.”

“I think that one would be too much of a challenge for me.”

“I still wish it,” said Stuart, staring up into the branches. “You never say anything that makes me hate you.”

I'm not crying you're crying.

Yeah, the last few RR chapters have had some surprisingly hard-hitting scenes.

Ramie
Mar 2, 2021

Oddly I have found Pale Lights is really really good at describing the physical reality of the story in basically every way except for reinforcing what the characters look like at the moment.

Multiple times a chapter we get reminders that specific characters are Fantasy Chinese (or Fantasy Indian, or Fantasy Spanish...) but nothing about their features, except for Maryam's pale skin and Song's silver eyes I guess, but it seems like only those two get that treatment because those features are very unusual in-universe

By this point in PracGuide it had been thoroughly hammered in that Cat and Black were quite short, that Aisha had a heart-shaped face, Cordelia was an austere and statuesque blonde woman, etc. A really unexpected step down. There's only so much "the Malani stared down the Tianxi" that I can handle

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug
There's a commentator who does a little sketch of all the characters after every chapter that I found really helpful for figuring out what they all looked like.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Ramie posted:

Oddly I have found Pale Lights is really really good at describing the physical reality of the story in basically every way except for reinforcing what the characters look like at the moment.

Multiple times a chapter we get reminders that specific characters are Fantasy Chinese (or Fantasy Indian, or Fantasy Spanish...) but nothing about their features, except for Maryam's pale skin and Song's silver eyes I guess, but it seems like only those two get that treatment because those features are very unusual in-universe

By this point in PracGuide it had been thoroughly hammered in that Cat and Black were quite short, that Aisha had a heart-shaped face, Cordelia was an austere and statuesque blonde woman, etc. A really unexpected step down. There's only so much "the Malani stared down the Tianxi" that I can handle

Agreed, I have the same issue in Pale Lights. I have a very clear mental image of the two protagonists, but not most other characters. I also have trouble envisioning many of the environments, though this is partly because Pale Lights makes the bold choice to have a unique fantasy setting.

In PracGuide I had a very clear mental image of virtually all the human characters. I think my mental image of some of the non-human races was hosed up, though. I couldn't stop imagining the orcs/goblins like WoW orcs/goblins, even though I get the distinct impression that the orcs are supposed to look more like Elder Scrolls orcs (and I have no idea what the goblins are supposed to look like). The one exception for humans is that my mental image of Grey Pilgrim was always beardless (though with some stubble) for some reason, even though I know he's supposed to have a beard.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

Wittgen posted:

That is hilarious and I'm not going to be able to stop imagining that now.

nrook
Jun 25, 2009

Just let yourself become a worthless person!
I just caught up with Ar’Kendrithyst’s book 8. Ar’Kendrithyst owns. Ar’Kendrithowns.

Kyoujin
Oct 7, 2009
Twinned Destinies 31 Whelp, looks like the cat's out of the bag now. Assuming the mom already knew, she may have to silence the doctors to avoid it going public.

Big coincidence the poison the Demon King wanted Ruyi to have for her transformation also can be used to save her brother or did he know? He is in the business of knowing.

arcs01
Jun 23, 2023

nrook posted:

I just caught up with Ar’Kendrithyst’s book 8. Ar’Kendrithyst owns. Ar’Kendrithowns.

I'm glad you like it!

I really like how book 8 ended. Book 9 is going well, too. I hope the RR people enjoy it as much as patreon people seem to be enjoying it.

(this is my first post here, so hello to others that read Ar'Kendrithyst, and everyone else too. I heard from Selki a while ago that people here read my story, so I've been lurking for a while now.)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Welcome! I really should catch up on that one, I stopped at 194 and the chapters are so long it's always a bit daunting to go back.

arcs01
Jun 23, 2023
Thanks!

I gotta get through the story somehow. : )

(I probably enjoy magical exploration and all the other stuff a bit too much.)

The story has an endpoint and book 8 was supposed to be the last book, but then stuff happened, as it usually does, and now there's a book 9.

When I wrote up the general synopsis for the story it was only 4 pages long and full of bullet points of targets to hit, and somehow that ended up being 34 chapters (600k+ words) to get halfway through those bullet points. It'll probably be something of that size (or maybe a little more) to get through book 9.

arcs01 fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 10, 2023

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

arcs01 posted:

I'm glad you like it!

I really like how book 8 ended. Book 9 is going well, too. I hope the RR people enjoy it as much as patreon people seem to be enjoying it.

(this is my first post here, so hello to others that read Ar'Kendrithyst, and everyone else too. I heard from Selki a while ago that people here read my story, so I've been lurking for a while now.)

I really enjoy the series! It's what got me into reading stuff on RoyalRoad, actually. It definitely set a high bar.

I should also catch up with it. I binged up to about ch 124 and figured that the lull in the action was a good time to reclaim my free time.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Yeah, I figured at 194 it was wrapping up soon and I'd wait til it finished. :v:

TTOU 96 big spoilers go catch up: Huh. okay then. It always felt like the new crew was... Distant. Aspen never really got to know them, and neither did we as readers. We were starting to get a bit more info, but losing them it does feel a bit like that was always planned, and thereofre we were never allowed to get too attached. I don't even know the jobs or genders of half of them.

quote:

[01:19]Nico: I'm disappointed that Sands and Heli got the Disney villain treatment :c
[01:19]Nico: Conveniently taken out by an accident, sidestepping the moral dilemma.
[...]
[01:26]Elenna123 (she/her) - Cancelled: FWIW, Derin talked about this in the patreon-only podcast - they're also disappointed that the crew never had to face the moral dilemma, but for story pacing purposes they decided to move the story forwards

This also from the discord.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

arcs01 posted:

Thanks!

I gotta get through the story somehow. : )

(I probably enjoy magical exploration and all the other stuff a bit too much.)

The story has an endpoint and book 8 was supposed to be the last book, but then stuff happened, as it usually does, and now there's a book 9.

When I wrote up the general synopsis for the story it was only 4 pages long and full of bullet points of targets to hit, and somehow that ended up being 34 chapters (600k+ words) to get halfway through those bullet points. It'll probably be something of that size (or maybe a little more) to get through book 9.

I've been subscribed to your Patreon for years, I love Arkendrithyst, it is my favorite web serial!

arcs01
Jun 23, 2023
Thank you! I love hearing when people like the story, and I love patrons. We have a patreon-discord, you know?

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

TTOU 96: The thing Tal figured out was definitely that you could steal someone’s ID chip and impersonate them as far as the AI is concerned. I’d put even money on there being someone pretending to be the late Joshua Reimann who has just convinced the AI to give them official captaincy of the ship, with the long bet being that it’s Tal kemself.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
oh poo poo we have an ar'goon now? big fan, one of the few things on RR I don't feel any shame in recommending

arcs01
Jun 23, 2023
Thanks! i love it when people recommend my story.

this is about the only thread i check, tho.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

arcs01 posted:

this is about the only thread i check, tho.

Probably for the best

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

GodDAMN is the latest Patreon TWI chapter good. As much as I like TWI, it's kinda undeniable that pirateaba spends a lot of time spinning wheels and doing small slice of life stuff. But all that slow gradual buildup really pays off in certain chapters and this one was certainly one of them. It just has so much going on! And we aren't even at the Solstice yet! I love the final revelation of the very very very long foreshadowed true nature of what's going on with the Antinium failing to rediscover the Unitasis Network. Maybe I'm unattentive but it seriously caught me off guard and made dozens of small plot points click into place.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Peachfart posted:

I've been subscribed to your Patreon for years, I love Arkendrithyst, it is my favorite web serial!

I agree with this statement. It's become a weekly ritual to wake up Sunday mornings, get a cup of coffee, read about the wizard.

Great stuff. Hope you keep writing after you finish this story!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I also really like Ar'kendrithyst (though I need to catch up, since I think I'm only around half-way through the current story). It's probably in my top 3 or 4 web serials.

Wittgen
Oct 13, 2012

We have decided to decline your offer of a butt kicking.
Ar'Kendrythist is great. It dances a jig on the edge of being a calvinball power fantasy, but it never falls over that abyss.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SS 85: Not a lot happening this chapter, but it seems to strongly indicate that Boe is going to end up "going legit" and staying on Anesidora. I like Lute and feel kinda bad for him. I'm curious what happened that seems to have driven him away from music (since that seems to be strongly implied by Lute taking learning Artonan more seriously - which implies he's redirected himself towards Chainer stuff instead of music). I don't think it's something as simple as "the family wanted him to focus on that," since I doubt Aulia would care that much about what he does given she has Hazel to focus on.

Wittgen posted:

Ar'Kendrythist is great. It dances a jig on the edge of being a calvinball power fantasy, but it never falls over that abyss.

That's a good way of putting it. It's probably the only web serial I've read that is a power fantasy, but in a way that doesn't annoy me and stays consistent with the "rules" of the setting.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Sep 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

Ytlaya posted:

SS 85: Not a lot happening this chapter, but it seems to strongly indicate that Boe is going to end up "going legit" and staying on Anesidora. I like Lute and feel kinda bad for him. I'm curious what happened that seems to have driven him away from music (since that seems to be strongly implied by Lute taking learning Artonan more seriously - which implies he's redirected himself towards Chainer stuff instead of music). I don't think it's something as simple as "the family wanted him to focus on that," since I doubt Aulia would care that much about what he does given she has Hazel to focus on.

That's a good way of putting it. It's probably the only web serial I've read that is a power fantasy, but in a way that doesn't annoy me and stays consistent with the "rules" of the setting.

SupSup 85:

There is something we can probably glean out of today's chapter.

Seems pretty likely that Boe fried his parent's brains with his powers on accident or purpose. He's got something he feels super guilty about that he wanted to tell Alden and they are living like cockroaches and only getting cleaned up after because Boe is funding it