Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Thanks for whomever mentioned Pirate Warriors 4 was on deep discount. It's fun in that way of all Musou games, just throw on a podcast and mindlessly grind against Baroque Works. Working on making Tashigi a killing machine because she deserves being cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
nami stole Oda's heart, which is the most powerful act possible

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Luffy punched God. Then, sometime after that, he punched a legally-mandated god.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Can’t wait for Eneru to get back from the moon so Zoro can punch God with his swords.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Actually I guess the entire drunken midnight showdown at Whiskey Peak was pretty piratey? I mean, the crew were the defenders, but they didn’t exactly handle it like noble heroes.

EDIT: Also god drat Whiskey Peak was cool. The cactus needles are gravestones, omg

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Bisse posted:

Actually I guess the entire drunken midnight showdown at Whiskey Peak was pretty piratey? I mean, the crew were the defenders, but they didn’t exactly handle it like noble heroes.

EDIT: Also god drat Whiskey Peak was cool. The cactus needles are gravestones, omg

You say “the crew” like Zoro didn’t just mow down every man in Whiskey Peak and incapacitate every woman/child by himself before everyone even woke up. I don’t think Sanji or Usopp literally got to do anything.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Luffy's face when some Libertarian dork tries to explain the blockchain to him or how servitude to corporations is somehow different than slavery to government.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

didn't zoro kill that one dude who asked him to work for a corporation

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think One Piece is deliberately written so it can be enjoyed regardless of your personal politics

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

idk about that

still on my first read through but Oda *seems* pretty loud and clear on where he stands on authoritarianism

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I think One Piece is deliberately written so it can be enjoyed regardless of your personal politics
Black Panther communism tweet, but Luffy has to ask Nami what kind of Communist he is

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

how long before Luffy shows up in a Pepsi commercial

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Do people in One Piece world make political log pose memes

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Waffleman_ posted:

Do people in One Piece world make political log pose memes

The whole East Blue loves the Shake Snail, a lovely Den Den Mushi that ate the Shake Shake fruit and can now make milkshakes for everyone!

*5 seconds later* We regret to inform you the snail is racist

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Potato Salad posted:

idk about that

still on my first read through but Oda *seems* pretty loud and clear on where he stands on authoritarianism

The bad, usurper king has to go and the good, rightful king must be restored.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

YggdrasilTM posted:

The bad, usurper king has to go and the good, rightful king must be restored.

The good king is the one that lets everyone in the kingdom join the party with plenty of food

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

That dude Eiichiro Oda, loving loves the monarchy.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Luffy had no issues wrecking deposing lovely, rightful king Wapol

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also just doing a new good king is a lot simpler and less boring than them having to spend like a month establishing a representative democracy.

It's a fantasy story, let there be kings.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

theres only one democracy in one piece, which is constituted solely of jurisdictional kings. which is then overridden by a secret megaking anyways. the world of one piece is distinctly lacking in political thought and dissemination of alternative ways to live in society. hell, even all the pirate crews are pretty top down hierarchies despite historically in the real world, pirates were frequently more democratic than are popularly portrayed in both contemporary and current media. the straw hats might be the most horizontally organized group in the whole manga

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

why do you think they wanted to erase the memory of joyboy

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Sovereign citizen

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

hmm if they removed the MJ reference, the Eminem one won't survive either. oh well....

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Lpzie posted:

hmm if they removed the MJ reference, the Eminem one won't survive either. oh well....

Jango was still among the wanted posters shown in the beginning though

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Waffleman_ posted:

Also just doing a new good king is a lot simpler and less boring than them having to spend like a month establishing a representative democracy.

It's a fantasy story, let there be kings.

The issue with monarchy has never hinged on good king and their rule, the issue hinges on the lack of good kings.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST

Paper Lion posted:

theres only one democracy in one piece, which is constituted solely of jurisdictional kings. which is then overridden by a secret megaking anyways. the world of one piece is distinctly lacking in political thought and dissemination of alternative ways to live in society. hell, even all the pirate crews are pretty top down hierarchies despite historically in the real world, pirates were frequently more democratic than are popularly portrayed in both contemporary and current media. the straw hats might be the most horizontally organized group in the whole manga

In fairness most real life pirate crews didn't have the Captain being powerful enough to punch mountains into dust as a baseline

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
you dont know that, records from that time are spotty at best

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Gyges posted:

The issue with monarchy has never hinged on good king and their rule, the issue hinges on the lack of good kings.

That's why it's a fantasy

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Paper Lion posted:

Water Seven has a mayor.

Granted, said Mayor is also the head of the island's biggest (read, only) shipbuilding company. And the island is famous for its shipbuilding. So the guy pays like half the island's salaries.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there have to be good kings to return to rule in op or at least some form of legitimate government that doesn't suck. otherwise, after luffy saves an island it will degenerate back into chaos as soon as he leaves. he's not going to form a new government. he's not going to stick around and take responsibility. the closest he ever got was on fishman island, and that was a completely empty gesture.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
All governments that Luffy installs or approves of are defacto Devine right governments.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Lpzie posted:

I mean I get why they'd remove the MJ ref cause the dude was a monster, but why would they cut the Eminem one? Did I miss something here? :confused:

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Because using a famous person's likeness can get you in trouble in Live Action more than it can in animation/comic books. Especially if Netflix are making it, Jango isn't even fully removed he has a wanted poster and they mention Mirror Ball Island more than once.

I suspect his dance moves are more the problem than the MJ reference, since Jango doesn't really look like MJ. In terms of not wanting to get into legal arguments over their usage (even if they are free to use the Estate of Michael Jackson might start something anyway).

I don't think Eneru is getting removed from the LA though, they might just shift his design a bit to make the Eminem reference more obscure.

papasyhotcakes
Oct 18, 2008

Lord_Magmar posted:

I don't think Eneru is getting removed from the LA though, they might just shift his design a bit to make the Eminem reference more obscure.

Broke: they remove the Eminem reference
Woke: they get Eminem to play God

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i'd just lean harder into buddha but weird

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean I think they'll shift the design by casting someone who does not look like Marshall Mathers III which is, most people.

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

I remember in the LA when Nami was reading the Nolan book to Zoro while he was in his post-battle coma or whatever, she specifically said Nolan's last words were 'The City of Gold must have disappeared into the Sea'

Boy I hope that was just them taking the piss cause if they get far enough to do a third season they had better loving NOT turn Skypeia into some bullshit Atlantis destination, that would be such a disservice to the series in general.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

I wouldn't read that much into a line like that. Especially since that's where Cricket and his followers were looking in the first place.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Not sure what you're complaining about, here - "The mountain of gold must have sunk into the sea!" was also Liar Noland's last words in the story as it's presented in the manga and the anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I think them skipping Skypeia or changing the location is probably because the animation/cgi budget would disappear into the sky along with the crew. I sure hope it’s not any sort of underwater location though because they always suck.