Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, of course he doesn't care. If he did he would write the drat books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, of course he doesn't care. If he did he would write the drat books

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
we don't want the books to come out though so he's doing us a favour

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Watching gurm commentary on the DVDs and it’s actually making me like him send help

He says “the fans write me angry about x is different from the book, but I don’t care” a lot. It’s pretty endearing.

It’s almost like the grrm collectively made up by angry little saddos itt and the real guy are completely different things. Huh.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Knuc U Kinte posted:

It’s almost like the grrm collectively made up by angry little saddos itt and the real guy are completely different things. Huh.

But Collective Psychosis GRRM is the best GRRM though

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Why do you hate fun

Sassy Sasquatch
Feb 28, 2013

I'm not sure I appreciate all this negativity towards the old man, have you maybe considered that GURM is not your bitch ?

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
Is this the semi annual badthread invasion of the gurmstans?

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

I'm not sure I appreciate all this negativity towards the old man, have you maybe considered that GURM is not your bitch ?

He may not be my bitch, but he sure is a bitch
:btroll:

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Sassy Sasquatch posted:

For GRRM to be someone's bitch would imply someone wants to be physically near him at least sometimes.

So, no, GRRM is nobody's bitch.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

LiterallyATomato posted:

For GRRM to be someone's bitch would imply someone wants to be physically near him at least sometimes.

So, no, GRRM is nobody's bitch.

Is Ty not still around?

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

some bust on that guy posted:

Is Ty not still around?

Ty wrote and finished his own nine-book series, with a six (?) season TV adaptation, starting like a year before ADWD came out. He's half of the Expanse guy.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.

von Metternich posted:

Ty wrote and finished his own nine-book series, with a six (?) season TV adaptation, starting like a year before ADWD came out. He's half of the Expanse guy.

Well not around like that. How's his sexual involvement with George lately? More important than his nine book series.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

some bust on that guy posted:

Is Ty not still around?

No, he is one of the reasons The Expanse (TV series) happened, and it's a pretty cool sci-fi setting. Wes Chatham as Amos Burton is the perfect casing and enough to cover up all the other flaws of the series

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Knuc U Kinte posted:

I really dont think anybody is actually angry at him, at this point.

We all know how the story ends, anyway. It became kinda of a long joke like Duke Nukem Forever was, except this time is really forever

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Sam’s last chapter is older than the character himself, coming up on eighteen years.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

Knuc U Kinte posted:

No U

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Platystemon posted:

Sam’s last chapter is older than the character himself, coming up on eighteen years.

drat.

A game of Thrones was published closer to the Vietnam War than to the present day.

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Kuiperdolin posted:

drat.

A game of Thrones was published closer to the Vietnam War than to the present day.

When it's closer to the civil war than the present, George's bloated undead corpse will finally release Winds.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Kuiperdolin posted:

drat.

I had a similar realization late last night: I've lived more of my life after 9/11 than I did before it.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

LiterallyATomato posted:

When it's closer to the civil war than the present, George's bloated undead corpse will finally release Winds.

This puts a whole new spin on January 6th.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

nine-gear crow posted:

I had a similar realization late last night: I've lived more of my life after 9/11 than I did before it.

Christ, when you put it like that :kstare:

ItohRespectArmy
Sep 11, 2019

Cutest In The World, Six Time DDT Ironheavymetalweight champion, Two Time International Princess champion, winner of two tournaments, a Princess Tag Team champion, And a pretty good singer too!
"When I was an idol, I felt nothing every day but now that I'm a pro wrestler I'm in pain constantly!"

to be fair the book series is a year older than me and I'm 26

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Today is my birthday and I’m now the same age as these books. Mr Martin, I demand Winds of Winter for my gift.

E: or precisely I am 42 days younger than these godforsaken loving books if first august 96 is the correct publishing date

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Sep 11, 2023

von Metternich
May 7, 2007
Why the hell not?

Elias_Maluco posted:

I really dont think anybody is actually angry at him, at this point.

We all know how the story ends, anyway. It became kinda of a long joke like Duke Nukem Forever was, except this time is really forever

I'm angry! It has not improved my life very much so I don't recommend it.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Today I killed about 15 minutes at work by calculating that June 21, 2026 is the day on which the time since A Dance with Dragons will be equal to the time between A Game of Thrones and ADwD.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Checks out.

https://www.wolframalpha.com/input?...e+of+thrones%29

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m starting to think this guy ain’t even writing any books!!

E: also sitting on a plane rereading War and Peace rn. This one is what I call my favourite book, and Tolstoy is objectively a better writer than GRRM and all, but I’m ashamed to say I would hurl this tome out the window in a heartbeat if the formerly fat man gave me my goddam knights and dragons sequel

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Sep 12, 2023

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
So I'm re-listening to the series as read by someone on Youtube, he does a pretty good job:

https://www.youtube.com/@DavidReadsASoIaF

also, Catelyn is responsible for like 75% of the Stark's problems lol

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Typo posted:

So I'm re-listening to the series as read by someone on Youtube, he does a pretty good job:

https://www.youtube.com/@DavidReadsASoIaF

also, Catelyn is responsible for like 75% of the Stark's problems lol

She started the goddam war on the advice of loving Littlefinger and got her idiot husband and kids killed. Raymund Frey did nothing wrong.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Quick thought :

Joffrey
Joe Frey

Makes you think.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

I have a fever so I apologize if it doesn't make sense.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Joh Fray

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I’ve found the one thing funnier than GRRM announcing that there will be no new books: GRRM announcing he needs to rewrite the old books.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Touch up that masterpiece GURM.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

He’s adding 23% more lemoncakes.

mewse
May 2, 2006

*spitting my water* WRITERS are ARTISTS?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I’ve found the one thing funnier than GRRM announcing that there will be no new books: GRRM announcing he needs to rewrite the old books.

According to himself, he is kinda doing that but (so far) only the parts he already written for the new book.

This actually would be the logical next step: start rewriting the books he already written. So not only he wont publish any new books, he will unpublish the books he managed to get out. In 10 more years there will be no books in the series and we will be waiting for Game of Thrones

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

this guy is so dumb, he uses Tolkien as an example for this idea, but Tolkien loving finished his story before revising it

I've nothing against GRRM revising his new stuff, of course. If he messed up so bad he can't write his way out of it, deleting huge parts and starting Winds of Winter fresh could help. And it's not like we get to read the book anyway if he just keeps on writing in circles with no end in sight

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Xiahou Dun posted:

He’s adding 23% more lemoncakes.

You joke but I made the lemoncakes from the ASOIAF cookbook (or a one I assume there’s a ton of them) and they were delicious if I do say so myself. Whatever his flaws, the man knows his lemoncakes