Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Infinitum posted:

:siren: What scenes go harder in the anime, than they do in the manga? :siren:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjB5pIITPxw

Strictly imho, but the anime has always felt a bit distasteful over just re-reading the series due to time commitment and the filler of it. Bink's Brew is among the only scenes where audio was a real crucial component to it, so even watching a highlight reel feels like a laggy version of how satisfying the page turns are.

Never made it paste the first few episodes, though I've seen a few of the Gear 5 stuff. It's neat, but ultimately the timing just feels so padded that I can't help but be bummed they haven't already done a Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood treatment of the series and gone back and re-done the first ten saga's in nice, succinct(er), better animated chapters. It's a dense and long enough story you don't need to DBZ it. Yet that's most of what I recall seeing the anime spends it time doing.

All those examples don't help. Each clip just has so. much. padding. of flashbacks and beats that (again, imo) you set yourself when you read the comic. There is totally a timing to the comic panels -- Robin's I WANT TO LIVE is a great great great example of this -- where you mirror the large SAY YOU WANT TO LIVE with her admitting it. In the comic version all the between panels are short, quick, simple that lets you read them in quick succession before seeing her admission. The imagery used in the anime includes a bunch of stock stuff, including a WHITE ORB RUSHING TOWARDS THE SCREEN OH BOY ITS A REALIZATION. It's... way way way way better in the comic. That page turn, egad.

The song slaps tho.

CatstropheWaitress fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Sep 12, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
The part at the end where the song slowly gets simpler as Brook's crewmates are dropping dead mid-playing until it's just him completely alone hits like a fuckin' brick in the anime.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

What really hit hard was ”We’re down to quartet… trio… duo… LIKE SHARE SUBSCRIBE”

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Not that I think the Netflix show will get that far, but I wonder who they would have replace Hachi for that scene where Luffy punches that celestial dragon prick.

I will still HOPE that the netflix show gets that far because I just finished it the other day and it’s a better adaptation of the manga than the anime.

Also they should pause the anime and do a One Piece kai or something to give themselves some breathing room.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Not that I think the Netflix show will get that far, but I wonder who they would have replace Hachi for that scene where Luffy punches that celestial dragon prick.

I will still HOPE that the netflix show gets that far because I just finished it the other day and it’s a better adaptation of the manga than the anime.

Also they should pause the anime and do a One Piece kai or something to give themselves some breathing room.

hachi's presence isn't really necessary for that scene. it was a slave auction where one of their friends is being bought by a celestial dragon. charlos didn't need to be actively trying to kill hachi to deserve a savage beating.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
there is no universe where they pause the anime and give up the most primo timeslot possible

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

PringleCreamEgg posted:

a better adaptation of the manga than the anime.

It's real good for live action, but it's not 'better than the anime' good.

PringleCreamEgg posted:

They used to do non-canon island stuff, which they should probably do again.

Wano just got drawn the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck out.
The One Pace edit for it going to be hilarious in how much bloat gets cut

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

hachi's presence isn't really necessary for that scene. it was a slave auction where one of their friends is being bought by a celestial dragon. charlos didn't need to be actively trying to kill hachi to deserve a savage beating.

Also Hachi can be introduced as a Fishman who left Arlong because of the treatment of Nami who was trying to get to Jimbei or something and failed.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Infinitum posted:

:siren: What scenes go harder in the anime, than they do in the manga? :siren:
Episode 1055 elevates Chapter 1000 to a much much much higher level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxF0qWWTpXs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_p8mJiSVcw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha0-qytMD9k

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

This ep's so good at what it's doing I was able to show it completely blind to a friend. This, after some time, eventually led to them reading the whole manga.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

You gotta post the panels as well for reference numpty

The first is interesting because the sequence straight up doesn't exist in the manga. It's a scene that's literally added in between the 1st and 2nd pages
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxF0qWWTpXs

And yeah, the first salvo in the opening fight owns bones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ha0-qytMD9k

Roof Piece owns

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The biggest tragedy of digital manga is that I've never seen these two pages laid out properly like this before. Pretty loving cool.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Roof Piece is the best part of Wano, arguably best part of the New World.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Red Scabbards arriving to strike the first blow against Kaido was fantastic in both the manga (Chapter 986) and the anime (Episode 995). The final panel in the manga is incredible, but the animation of the rush through the hallway to arrive is outstanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDI3PrJC8AI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjB5pIITPxw

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Roof Piece owns cause up til then Kaido is entirely untouchable save an off-screen confrontation with Shanks. And then it still takes 100ish chapters of characters giving it their all and only making scratches on him until the Gear 5 reveal lets him take actual damage. Wano is good. One Piece is good.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Dont think of it as hating on roof piece. Think of it as preferring the other 1000 chapters.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the gear 5 fight is such an insanely cathartic series of episodes after 100 episodes of untouchable kaido. even with the bad pacing its godlike anime. it hits even harder than in the manga imo

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

"NO BREAK NEXT WEEK"

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

RuBisCO posted:

I do think the series kinda loses something as the Krieg fight is... kinda the only fight in the series that actually takes advantage of a sea setting and Luffy's weakness to it*? It feels kinda piratey and you feel pretty tense because Luffy's constantly teetering above water. Plus the punch through the spike shield was cool. But yeah otherwise whatever to him personally.

*Hody's fight doesn't count

Yeah, I can see that. It's just Krieg's whole thing feels like 'how not to pirate' and we already just got that with Kuro and Krieg's whole thing is technology which is fine (except Krieg is also superhumanly strong) so as a side-by-side I don't think him getting clipped by Mihawk takes much away but admittedly Mihawk decimating Krieg's armada because he was bored is a nice sign that the Grand Line isn't fooling around and that's maybe lost a bit in the live action.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Good news for OPLA week two:

https://deadline.com/2023/09/one-piece-ratings-netflix-global-campaign-success-1235544409/

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I can see that. It's just Krieg's whole thing feels like 'how not to pirate' and we already just got that with Kuro and Krieg's whole thing is technology which is fine (except Krieg is also superhumanly strong) so as a side-by-side I don't think him getting clipped by Mihawk takes much away but admittedly Mihawk decimating Krieg's armada because he was bored is a nice sign that the Grand Line isn't fooling around and that's maybe lost a bit in the live action.

The appeal of Krieg to me has always been precisely that he’s actually pretty competent, especially in comparison to Kuro. This probably wasn’t Oda’s intention, though (the SBS makes clear that in his mind Kuro is the smart one, despite that being at odds with how the manga actually portrays him). I like that he was able to match Luffy through a combination of cunning, technology, and strength, despite not having a Devil Fruit, and I like that despite being willing to kill individual members of his crew at the drop of a hat, he understands that he needs his crew as a whole.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
the most important part of krieg was it showed that luffy wasnt going to just kick peoples asses, but when confronted with some sort of roadblock he just barrels through anyway. between the darts and the spike cape, luffy just ate damage and overwhelmed krieg in spite of it.

its a pretty big character defining moment for him that makes him a different flavor of shounen protagonist.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Skipping Krieg and skipping Sanji watching Mihawk and Zoro fight makes him joining the crew feel like its just because he's "Sanji". Arlong showing up at Baratie chasing a no name pirate is also pretty weak especially since Luffy just gets owned immediately

Weakest arc of the live action imo despite the amazing set

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
yeah that all did feel a bit clunky

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

Evil Eagle posted:

Skipping Krieg and skipping Sanji watching Mihawk and Zoro fight makes him joining the crew feel like its just because he's "Sanji". Arlong showing up at Baratie chasing a no name pirate is also pretty weak especially since Luffy just gets owned immediately

Weakest arc of the live action imo despite the amazing set

It weakens the arc but taking the extra time to do Krieg would have weakened the overall series imo

Similar to how we lost some good Usopp moments, but we definitely didn't need more time in Syrup Village

Arlong is the one arc where the condensing really felt more like a misstep instead of a necessary trade off for me

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The biggest loss to usopp's character was in his fight with chu, not syrup village

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
the arlong arc hit pretty much all the beats it needed to idk. i agree about usopp not really having a moment of overcoming his cowardice against chu is a shame, and i don't really get why they made the minor changes to nami's backstory, but it was solid overall

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
I am curious if there are any good "Vivi stayed on the ship" fics for One Piece. These can be long standing stories that cover all of OP or just cover a specific arc.

Thank you.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I did like that in the initial Arlong/Luffy confrontation in the live action, Luffy does straight up get the better of him in a one-on-one fight which clearly Arlong wasn't expecting, at which point he tosses the seawater on him to drain his strength.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Nihilarian posted:

The biggest loss to usopp's character was in his fight with chu, not syrup village

Yeah definitely. Was shocked they changed it, given all it needed was like 30 more seconds of dialogue, really

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

RuBisCO posted:

Yeah definitely. Was shocked they changed it, given all it needed was like 30 more seconds of dialogue, really

legit question: did any characters actually talk/think to themselves? that might have been why

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, I can see that. It's just Krieg's whole thing feels like 'how not to pirate'

What are you talking about? Krieg's entire shtick is all about being a pirate.

He lies his way into getting a free meal that saves him from the brink of starvation, immediately hard clocks Sanji into the boat floorboard once he finishes, holds everybody up with threat of heavy artillery to feed his men, then pivots around to take Baratie for himself before Mihawk catches up with his vessel. Then on TOP of that he plans to use the unassuming nature of the floating sea restaurant as a surprise strategy to get the jump on every ship that floats across his way for easy layups.

Say what you want about Krieg, but he's arguably the most pirate-y pirate in this series, all of the aforementioned is exactly the kind of things Blackbeard would pull and people won't stop sucking his cock over it. Lying, backstabbing, doing whatever you can to get ahead in this sea, that's what most pirates were all about back in the day.

White Light fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 13, 2023

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Having reread the early chapters, you gotta give Krieg props.

He thinks he can loving take on Mihawk. This is after Mihawk decimated his crew in the Grand Line and chased them to East Blue to wreck his ship with one slash. This is after Mihawk utterly dominates Zoro, one of the strongest people in East Blue.

Krieg sees this and still thinks, "Man, I have a shot at beating him" and picks a fight with Mihawk after Mihawk decides not to murder Krieg and his crew because he had fun fighting Zoro.

Man's not smart but he ain't a coward.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also of the two big East Blue jobbers, Krieg was like at least TRYING to get back on his feet and go for the Grand Line runback against Crocodile. Kuro just gave the gently caress up after getting a 16 million bounty.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Tbh I interpreted that as his colossal ego trip, bro really thought he was hot poo poo when doing pussy crap like flying false colors and doing other war crimes like the poison gas to eke out every advantage possible. He’s kind of deliberately the opposite of Luffy in a clever way; a weak man hiding behind a facade and tricks compared to this goofy Stretch Armstrong kid who yeah has a devil fruit, but it’s really only effective because he can already shatter boulders with his bare hands after years of training.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I don't think Kuro even deserves the description of "normal fish, small pond."

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i did not expect a fuckin netflix adaptation to make me look back and go, man, one piece is really great isn't it

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I do that every day anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Funky Valentine posted:

I don't think Kuro even deserves the description of "normal fish, small pond."

There was a video on Youtube recently about how Kuro is like the most forgotten character and that even Oda forgot about him but no

He's just completely loving irrelevant, especially at the level the story is at.

And in the manga, he's ambiguously dead.