Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE
It's not one of the 'greal relics they carried for the Aes Sedai. And it doesn't feature in the Prophecy of Rhuidean once. The Stone is mentioned, but not Callandor. So I'm not surprised that it didn't play into the Aiel beliefs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Torrannor posted:

It's not one of the 'greal relics they carried for the Aes Sedai. And it doesn't feature in the Prophecy of Rhuidean once. The Stone is mentioned, but not Callandor. So I'm not surprised that it didn't play into the Aiel beliefs.

Right, I get all that from the in-universe narrative perspective, but from a metanarrative perspective it seems really odd to me that Robert Jordan invented a fantasy culture with a giant aversion to swords, made the main character a part of that culture, gave the main character A Sword That Is Not A Sword, and the story never leaned into that in any way, not even as like a passing joke or something.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It was not a sword, so they didn't care about it. It was in the common name for it!

I get what you mean, but they really tried to completely ignore whenever Rand even carried his Laman sword around, it's not really much of a stretch to say they'd ignore Callandor too.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

We know from a season trailer that there's a big scene between Rand and Siuan where they discuss how he doesn't want to be a spoke on the wheel and she's like "My brother in Creator, what are you talking about?" If that happens in Episode 6, then Falme is probably the season finale and all that talk about how they're cramming all of books 2 and 3 together was wrong. If it happens after Falme because Falme is Episode 6, the Stone of Tear is absolutely the season finale. One of those two events will pay off that conversation as the climax of the season to set up the next phase of Rand's journey.
They never said that.

They said that they aren't doing "one season = one book." Some people have incorrectly interpreted that as "one season = 1.5 or two books." What they said is that they aren't keeping strictly to the book structure, instead they will feel free to pull forward certain plotlines from later in the books. So for example, season 2 will have plotlines and developments pulled together from at least books 2 through 4. That does NOT mean that anything that happens in book 3 HAS to be in season 2 and if it isn't then it will be skipped.

Next episode has the book 3 plot line of Gaul (replaced by Aviendha) being rescued by Perrin. Also it was in only the last episode that Elyas and the Wolfbrother plotline from book 1 was really introduced. Caemlyn and Elaida have not yet been introduced, despite being in book 1. We've seen the Stone of Tear in season 1, so it will definitely play a role. Just not this season.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Future Me Hates Me posted:

I wonder if they'll save the stone of tear for a later season since in the books Rand uses Callandor once then sticks it back into the floor for several books.

They could also wait to introduce balefire until whatever season Rand fights Rahvin.

Great, now I have to hope there's not a flood of Cinema Sins level takes about how shelving Callandor is a plot hole just because Moiraine doesn't look directly into the camera and explain at length that uncontrolled power is bad. Silver lining of that I guess is that the show would be popular enough to have serious legs.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I hope they shelve Callandor to be honest. It’s barely used in the books as is.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

I just hope we get Min the philosopher, sword or no sword.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

DTurtle posted:

They never said that.

They said that they aren't doing "one season = one book." Some people have incorrectly interpreted that as "one season = 1.5 or two books." What they said is that they aren't keeping strictly to the book structure, instead they will feel free to pull forward certain plotlines from later in the books. So for example, season 2 will have plotlines and developments pulled together from at least books 2 through 4. That does NOT mean that anything that happens in book 3 HAS to be in season 2 and if it isn't then it will be skipped.

Next episode has the book 3 plot line of Gaul (replaced by Aviendha) being rescued by Perrin. Also it was in only the last episode that Elyas and the Wolfbrother plotline from book 1 was really introduced. Caemlyn and Elaida have not yet been introduced, despite being in book 1. We've seen the Stone of Tear in season 1, so it will definitely play a role. Just not this season.

Just for the sake of info, I don't really follow production news or the hype train for shows. I'm mostly parroting (and explaining why its not holding up in the show's execution) stuff I heard fans saying online.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Have they said anything about Gaul, if they're going to replace his intro storyline with Aviendha? I'm gonna be real bummed if we don't get any Gaul, he's such a good representative of the Aiel's social ways.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Pleads posted:

Have they said anything about Gaul, if they're going to replace his intro storyline with Aviendha? I'm gonna be real bummed if we don't get any Gaul, he's such a good representative of the Aiel's social ways.

It doesn't seem like he's in this season but they could maybe bring him in for S3 to head back to the Two Rivers with Perrin. Avi will presumably off to the Waste with Rand by that point

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Pleads posted:

Gail jump kick or series is literally unwatchable

Also "Breakfast? A mighty victory!"

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

If they don't have gaul as an aiel in a cage for perrin to rescue there's no way he makes it into the series except as a cameo for book readers

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Didn't they already do Aiel in a cage last season

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

El Grillo posted:

Yeah, there's a dead one in a cage when Rand and Mat meet Thom in that tiny backwater village.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

El Grillo posted:

yeah but that guy talked a lot less than gaul

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Sanguinia posted:

Just for the sake of info, I don't really follow production news or the hype train for shows. I'm mostly parroting (and explaining why its not holding up in the show's execution) stuff I heard fans saying online.
No problem :)

Pleads posted:

In trailers and in the preview for next episode they show Aviendha and Perrin fighting Whitecloaks. I'd expect Gaul to be introduced next season.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Nihilarian posted:

If they don't have gaul as an aiel in a cage for perrin to rescue there's no way he makes it into the series except as a cameo for book readers

I think Gaul's relationship with Bain and Chiad as a parallel/foil for Perrin's relationship with Faile is the kind of thing this showrunning team would enjoy playing around with, so I think he might appear yet. Not this season though.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I hope they shelve Callandor to be honest. It’s barely used in the books as is.

The reversal of the magical sword archetype (uh it actually makes you insane), is so fantastic tho.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Shageletic posted:

The reversal of the magical sword archetype (uh it actually makes you insane), is so fantastic tho.

It's also integral to the bait and switch with TDO/Morridin. Not to say you can't remix that premise somehow, but to me at least it's one of the more defining payoffs of the series.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

DTurtle posted:

They never said that.

For that matter, a lot of the important things about the beginning of book 2 (Introduce Siuan and other important Aes Sedai beyond Moiraine, establish more of what the Ajahs are and how factionalized they've become, get a look at the White Tower, break initial association between Mat and the dagger) were hammered right down in Season 1 while people were complaining it was all Dragon mystery and Sad Warder.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

I don't even know why people didn't like the Dragon Mystery. I thought they did a great job of sewing doubt as to which of the party was the dragon to add some intrigue for non-book readers, and then leaning into that doubt to amp up the humanization of Moiraine and Lan compared to the original story, which was one of the most interesting aspects of S1 for me as a book reader.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

It was in the books, anyway, just done differently, like so many plots and threads.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Sanguinia posted:

I don't even know why people didn't like the Dragon Mystery. I thought they did a great job of sewing doubt as to which of the party was the dragon to add some intrigue for non-book readers, and then leaning into that doubt to amp up the humanization of Moiraine and Lan compared to the original story, which was one of the most interesting aspects of S1 for me as a book reader.

Having read the first book, I definitely preferred the "Who is the Dragon?" mystery to the immediate "Oh, Rand is the Dragon, Mat and Perrin are just process complications at the moment, as are Egwene and Nyaneve" route the books go with. When I went through the first season with a friend who was a complete newbie to everything, he had a fun time trying to guess who the Dragon was and his pick shifted with every episode based on the evidence and false leads they were throwing out. I rather enjoyed the idea that after a season of just kind of being there and going along with poo poo, both Rand and the audience learn that he's actually the main character at the exact same time.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Sanguinia posted:

Curious to know if any non book readers actually thought it would be anyone else other than Rand? No one got any real character development that first season, but for that to work I still think you needed more time and care, which the show doesn't have the capacity for smashed into 8 episodes

Maybe the show should have been even more radical in diverting from the books considering its time constraints and Amazon notes. I dunno.

E: ^^^^ lol well there's one then

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There was lot of people assuming it was Nynaeve or Mat

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Sanguinia posted:

It also kept them from characterizing any of the Two Rivers characters too deeply for fear of giving away the mystery. For example Rand didn't get his moment with Tam until the end of the season, and Egwene didn't tag along out of pure determination but was instead just dragged along as one of the potential chosen ones.

It implied that the chosen one might be a PoC then, nope, it's the basic white dude who's main notable moments in the season at that point were angst over his girlfriend having ambitions and throwing a tantrum at Moiraine.

In the books the mystery was "the dark one really wants one or all of these kids and Moiraine isn't entirely sure why". Canny readers will make the connection between the prologue and Rand being the primary pov, but there's not even the implication that anybody could be the Dragon Reborn until nearly the end iirc. Tied into all this is that making Moiraine more or less the main character of the season was a lot less interesting than in the books where her thoughts and motivations were a lot more ambiguous.

A lot of people are way more mad about the Dragon mystery than I am, many of them unreasonably so, but there's plenty of reasons to dislike how it played out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

Fair enough. I was wrong there.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
The best part about reading The Eye of the World when you're 14 years old and process everything completely at the surface level is you can be just as surprised as Rand was that he's the Dragon Reborn. I'm serious, it was very thrilling at the time! Add in a religious upbringing and you can also relate to all his puritanical sex hang-ups!

RandomReader
Nov 17, 2021

Sanguinia posted:

Because it did that while sacrificing most of Rand's early plothooks, leaving him a shell of himself, and changing either how well the Aes Sedai understand the very basics of how magic works, or how those basics work in the show, all because apparently book 1 is actually really boring if you don't do all that?

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Rarity posted:

I really would have thought that a bunch of people would bite on Perrin after he hulked out. Especially since his powers are all weird compared to the others and he didn't have to find a magic dagger before they manifested.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Honestly, having read most of the books I wasn't quite sure Rand would be the Dragon with the changes they were making.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

Just remembered that scene of Rand puking up a bat and that was pretty rad

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I will be for reals ultra upset if they don't include callandor. the imagery of a crystal sword floating among redstone columns is awesome. The ending of TDR is symbolic as gently caress, Rand finally embracing who he is. "I am Rand al'Thor! I am the Dragon Reborn!" mic drop is one of the best individual book ending in the whole lot. The whole sword in stone thing that adds to the idea of ages fading to myth and legend!

But also show Rand kinda seems more accepting of his fate so far so i dunno we'll see i guess

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

That scene always feels like a mid-90s raytracing demo in my mind

all soundtrack by William Orbit

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
I was a little suspicious that the show was going to throw us a real curveball and make Egwene the dragon but then when they didn’t give Rand anything else to do it was pretty clear they were sticking with the script.

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
TBH Egwene being the Dragon would be a step back in importance for her, so I can see why one wouldn't want to make that change.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

bio347 posted:

TBH Egwene being the Dragon would be a step back in importance for her, so I can see why one wouldn't want to make that change.

Nothin’ in the Tower Law says a dragon can’t be Amyrlin

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Wait I just remembered that the show made nynaeve and Egwene ta’veren as well. Has there been anything to support that shown since that reveal in season 1?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

why does there need to be anything shown. it's not like they've talked about it again for any of the rest, either. it literally doesn't make a difference in terms of the plots but it makes more direct sense than just arbitrarily having them not qualify as that.

Johnny Joestar fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019