Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Prepare yourself for the holy slaughter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, in the last hours before the new chapter, I figured I might as well cover some older material. That is to say, I read Buddy Stories a bit back.

I read the first chapter in the fan translation when it came out in Japan, and it didn't impress me much, so I went in with low expectations. Figure that helped me enjoy it more than otherwise.

One thing that felt like a weakness at release and still doesn't work for me now is how the characterization repeated beats from the main manga. Fujimoto does a great job with flashbacks of having characters feel like themselves, but the weight of the time is still clear. Young Kishibe only shows up for a few panels, but we see just enough of the mad dog to see how he got the name, while the modern Kishibe is better at hiding his fangs. In Buddy Stories, although we get more of Kishibe, it feels like, well, modern Kishibe. Quanxi talking about how he got old doesn't feel as impactful, since he was already acting kinda old before she left. Similarly, Aki and Himeno don't feel as distinct between their initial impressions and their modern dynamic as in the manga proper. It's a small thing, but it's disappointing all the same.

Meanwhile, the last chapter made me really curious about the original Japanese, because there's a line where Denji makes a specific wish, and I want to know if the phrasing plays off how Chainsaw Man ended, because it feels like the obvious beat.

Overall, I'd say it's worth a look if you like the series, especially with the art, but it's a step down from the main work.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

ALL HAIL :worship: :worship:

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

https://twitter.com/shonenjump/status/1701611960901775547

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck the fireworks factory is not today but this is such a good chapter anyways

i love the idiosyncratic dialogue Fujimoto writes for his characters, I wonder how it holds up in the original japanese

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Sep 12, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Lmaoh drat...

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

And just like that they turn me around on Public Safety Stalker. drat. Also hybrids are making a huge loving mistake threatening Nayuta

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Sooo....the Karaoke lady is basically dead man walking after this chapter, right?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I dont like these people

I'm sorry Denji

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
god drat :cry: Fujimoto why did you have to make me care about Fumiko. I'm not entirely sure I trust her, but she is spilling agency secrets

you can feel the tension of the hybrids juxtaposed with the kids in the foreground

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nice knowing you girl.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Aint no way she dying. To obvious a death flag. She’s gonna reveal herself to have a loving insane contract or she’s a hybrid herself

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

I dont like these people

I'm sorry Denji

Starting to feel Makima was right to control these assholes.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Eimi posted:

And just like that they turn me around on Public Safety Stalker. drat. Also hybrids are making a huge loving mistake threatening Nayuta

Yeah, I mean, someone whose reaction to grief at the loss of loved ones is measured and humane? In Chainsawman? This one's a keeper Denji.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
oh shes so dead

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008
At first I thought Public Safety Stalker was terrible at her job.

She is giving all the details away on purpose isn't she? All of her fuckups benefit Denji in some way. She gave him an acceptable outlet for his issues by allowing Denji to beat all those men to death. She makes security mistakes that let Denji know how closely he is being watched. If she doesn't get Merced soon I think she will be a long time favorite.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

On the other hand she is a grown adult who has gotten uncomfortably touchy with a 16 year old and last time that happened the character died quick.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Donkringel posted:

She is giving all the details away on purpose isn't she? All of her fuckups benefit Denji in some way. She gave him an acceptable outlet for his issues by allowing Denji to beat all those men to death. She makes security mistakes that let Denji know how closely he is being watched. If she doesn't get Merced soon I think she will be a long time favorite.

Yeah I dunno, she still creeps me out and she remains a sexual predator. Also, her story makes no sense. I went back and reread that chapter there was no one close enough to see Denji crying during that part other than the Future Devil.

.......which makes it feel even weirder and creepier that she sang a song from the 2000's when the story takes place in the 90's.

Anyway, this build up is killing me, I know it'll all flow really well once it's a completed volume but right now I can't help feeling those "GET TO THE FIREWORKS FACTORY" vibes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah I dunno, she still creeps me out and she remains a sexual predator. Also, her story makes no sense. I went back and reread that chapter there was no one close enough to see Denji crying during that part other than the Future Devil.

.......which makes it feel even weirder and creepier that she sang a song from the 2000's when the story takes place in the 90's.

Anyway, this build up is killing me, I know it'll all flow really well once it's a completed volume but right now I can't help feeling those "GET TO THE FIREWORKS FACTORY" vibes.

Weren't there a bunch of people around? Like they fed Denji their blood.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!

New crackpot theory: She is either the Future Hybrid or the Future Devil himself in disguise.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Eh, I'm following the story via this thread, but until Power shows up again, I'm not reading anyway. The day she enters the story again, I'll come back and catch up with the manga. That's my personal fireworks factory. Or would that be more of a blood bank?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Libluini posted:

Eh, I'm following the story via this thread, but until Power shows up again, I'm not reading anyway. The day she enters the story again, I'll come back and catch up with the manga. That's my personal fireworks factory. Or would that be more of a blood bank?

You should read it because it's really good

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Dangerous Person posted:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Dangerous Person posted:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A lot of the new characters are really good. They are not Power but some have the potential to be even better than Power!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I want to, not just right now. Power showing up again would of course make me re-evaluate this manga's position in my personal time queue. :v:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

ImpAtom posted:

A lot of the new characters are really good. They are not Power but some have the potential to be even better than Power!

Please, don't do this again. I don't want to be mad at you anymore.

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
waitin for Asa, Yoru, and Power to meet.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Namnesor posted:

Please, don't do this again. I don't want to be mad at you anymore.

I really like Asa and Yoru. :(

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Donkringel posted:

She's the polar opposite of octo-boy lmao, secret competence instead of a secret fuckup

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
lmao of course Nayuta gets in the cop car.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

Asa is a better character then Power

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

RevolverDivider posted:

Asa is a better character then Power

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
Asa and Power are both great in their own ways :hai:

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
"i jerk off in there!"

this series is a work of art

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Libluini posted:

while i understand, you're fuckin yourself over hardcore

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Asa is just like me, fr fr

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Libluini posted:

But then you would spoil yourself if/when Power shows up

limp dick calvin
Sep 1, 2006

Strepitoso. Vedete? Una meraviglia.
That sucks

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Libluini posted:

Loser

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

simply reading the rest of the GameFAQs guide after Aerith dies, as a precaution