Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Shodai?
Shodai
SHODAI
View Results

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Kenning posted:

Looking very chaotic this basho, I'm enjoying it.
Nice! Chaotic while I was at the bottom of last basho, so only way is up!

Edit: What a way to snipe a page.
Taxxe:

Beexoffel fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Sep 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuasiQuack
Jun 13, 2010

Ducks hockey baybee
Thanks! I've been looking to his Twitter for updates on the new accounts but I saw a bunch of them had been deleted and thought it was over. I tried to search for Aki Basho day [x] on YouTube with no results, but I see now searching for nattosumo still works.
Hopefully he keeps it up, in spite of the adversity, until they realize they have potential international customers who want his style of coverage.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

What a fantastic day of sumo!

Day 4: Takakeisho looked great, completely unlike yesterday when he didn't move. He was also in control of that match from start to finish; when Asanoyama recovered from the initial tachiai and started to push, Taka immediately took advantage and slapped him down for the win.

And, of course, you can't spell CHAOS without SHODAI.

Bentai
Jul 8, 2004

NERF THIS!

https://twitter.com/TakeSan_123/status/1701847858771874047
Tokushoryu climbed into the nosebleeds and watched some matches.
:allears:

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Day 4: That was, like, the most Shodai Shodai that Shodai ever Shodai'd, wasn't it?

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

bartolimu posted:

Day 4: That was, like, the most Shodai Shodai that Shodai ever Shodai'd, wasn't it?

No, actually. One basho he did that to Teru, dropping him out of the yusho race.

It will not surprise you to find that Shodai went 7-8 that basho.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Natto has a discord that has all the details. NHK cannot stop a righteous movement.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Yeah starting today, Natto's posting youtube links unlisted and only linking them on his discord. There's a couple other video streaming sites he's uploading to but those seem to get swept by the NHK every couple days. Here's hoping the unlisted videos do the trick.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

If you're gonna have roads, you're gonna have roadkill.
Yeah, according to the Natto discord, NHK is out for blood, so the videos are going to start getting put up unlisted, only linked on his discord.

I'm in Japan and this airbnb doesn't have cable and I'm never around when the matches actually happen anyway, so I'm still relying on his vids.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Mild inconvenience for watching on the big screen, but I think I can remedy that by clicking on the discord link on my computer then immediatly going to my tv and checking watch history on the youtube app. Certainly beats going to some of the other weird ad-riddled video sites.

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!
I wonder how much posting them unlisted will actually help, I suspect NHK is finding them via ContentID, which as far as I know does not care whether or not your video is published.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Nativity In Black posted:

I'm in Japan and this airbnb doesn't have cable and I'm never around when the matches actually happen anyway, so I'm still relying on his vids.
Geez, I thought it was on standard NHK. We're going to be there during the November basho; weirdly enough, it'll be the third one we've watched overseas, but I was reasonably sure we'd be able to watch the highlights on local TV this trip. :( I'm grateful for MidnightSumo, though I'm not at all looking forward to having to scrub through the bullshit to get to the actual tusslin'. Again.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
Wrong thread

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
It is absurdly frustrating that NHK won't just allow foreigners to pay them for the web service that they already provide, but instead spend all this time and effort chasing streamers. Hell, I can pay $20 to pick up Willow for the summer to watch CPL cricket, why won't NHK just take my money!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Shodai on his cartoon physics bullshit yet again. Kotonowaka showing his classic, Kisenosato-like style, the same one that made me a fan of his basically as soon as he made makuuchi. Love to see him drop down and keep his feet low and fast to take guys out. Great that Atamifuji, Kinbozan, and Gonoyama are all lighting it up as well, it's nice to have solid prospects throughout the banzuke.

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Yeah I'll take that for day 5, Thanks Kenning!

Too many fantasy leagues, lol.

You've got Mitakeumi for Day 5, and I'm dropping Midorifuji for Kinbozan.

Day 4 standings:

Makuuchi
code:
14	Brut
14	Tiny Bug Child
13	Banana Canada
13	captainblastum
13	Teddybear
13	Thauros
12	Communist Thoughts
12	Kenning
12	Robviously
12	whats for dinner
11	anakha
11	bartolimu
11	Khizan
11	pseudodragon
11	Vargatron
10	bessantj
10	Helianthus Annuus
10	Ice Phisherman
10	Iron Chef Nex
10	MyChemicalImbalance
10	NuclearPotato
10	Pakled
9	Kuros
9	Marching Powder
9	Mode 7
8	Charles Gnarwin
8	Crusty Nutsack
8	GoatSeeGuy
8	Jobbo_Fett
7	Akiosan
7	Chinook
7	Fluffdaddy
7	Saturnine Aberrance
6	LlamaTrauma
Juryo
code:
15	Beexoffel
15	Lid
14	ullerrm
13	Eldoop
13	oldskool
12	Average Lettuce
11	Ben Nerevarine
11	Liquid Communism
11	NTRabbit
11	PJ
11	The Postman
10	Fearless
10	Nativity In Black
10	Xerzes
9.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
9	FART BOSS
9	Flinger
9	Log082
9	Medenmath
9	QuasiQuack
8	Dead Goon
8	Single Tight Female
8	Takuan
7.5	Boogalo
7	Bentai
7	ImplicitAssembler
7	ratmosphere

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Liquid Communism posted:

It is absurdly frustrating that NHK won't just allow foreigners to pay them for the web service that they already provide, but instead spend all this time and effort chasing streamers. Hell, I can pay $20 to pick up Willow for the summer to watch CPL cricket, why won't NHK just take my money!

Yeah, I find it incredibly frustrating that the NHK just won't loving sell me some sumo. They already have a streaming service! Just take my money and let me watch sumo!

FART BOSS
Aug 27, 2008

~hands upon harrows
heels in the weeds
starving and harvesting
down centuries~

Kenning posted:

I'm dropping Midorifuji for Kinbozan.

Could I make the same trade for day 6? And if Kinbozan is full up, could I get Takayasu?

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

Hirayuki posted:

Geez, I thought it was on standard NHK. We're going to be there during the November basho; weirdly enough, it'll be the third one we've watched overseas, but I was reasonably sure we'd be able to watch the highlights on local TV this trip. :( I'm grateful for MidnightSumo, though I'm not at all looking forward to having to scrub through the bullshit to get to the actual tusslin'. Again.

It might actually be and perhaps I've just never been home at the right time? Makuuchi starts around 13:00 - 13:30 and seems to be over by about 18:00

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Yeah it’s on standard broadast NHK when I was there, I always pop it on while I’m R&R from scrambling around all day and I’m always thrown off by the lack of Natto graphics overlayed on the NHK footage :lol:

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Nativity In Black posted:

It might actually be and perhaps I've just never been home at the right time? Makuuchi starts around 13:00 - 13:30 and seems to be over by about 18:00

Makuuchi does end at exactly 6 PM Japan time, but it is only about 2 hours long and so starts at about 4 PM. Juryo usually lasts about an hour so starts at around 3 PM (maybe a little earlier I'm not sure). Before that it's the unpaid divisions and as far as I know NHK does not broadcast those.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

My trades are going as usual

Beeswax
Dec 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Day 5 Natto mirror for convenience

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCVtkUfLJhY

Shodai keeps winning where he's at his most dangerous: feet on bales and about to lose.

Very impressed by Takanosho powering through Daieisho's piston arms and just methodically forcing him out. Didn't think Takanosho had that sort of power in him.

Kirishima - Asanoyama was great, but that ending was really uncomfortable to watch. Also, Asanoyama gets such a big reaction before every bout. Didn't know he was such a crowd favourite.

Questionable call on the Takakeisho - Abi match.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting
I think 'Keisho definitely won, he was dominant and moving forward the whole time and Abi was inan unrecoverable position first.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

I think 'Keisho definitely won, he was dominant and moving forward the whole time and Abi was inan unrecoverable position first.

People in the midnight stream last night were saying it's another example of Takakeisho failing upwards and it sounded like a bunch of haters to me. Abi is a bit of a one trick pony and when he can't grab someone's neck he loses quickly.

Lucasar
Jan 25, 2005

save a few for lefty too
Unrelated to current basho but I hadn't seen this before:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVbNrUtsQtU

Hakuho in his stocking feet on a basketball court with Steph Curry and Klay Thompson. They attempt to move him, with predictable results.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Fearless posted:

People in the midnight stream last night were saying it's another example of Takakeisho failing upwards and it sounded like a bunch of haters to me. Abi is a bit of a one trick pony and when he can't grab someone's neck he loses quickly.

Also his footwork loving sucks. Like, worse than most Makushita guys. He just flails around with this legs like a two year old with a balance disorder.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

My grudge with Abi for doing my boy Takayasu dirty for the yusho will outlive this stupid burning planet.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

god I love Shodai

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

Brut posted:

Makuuchi does end at exactly 6 PM Japan time, but it is only about 2 hours long and so starts at about 4 PM.
Okay, cool. It's definitely in the middle of prime getting-out-and-enjoying-your-trip time, though, so I can understand not being around to see it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Fearless posted:

Abi is a bit of a one trick pony

This is absolutely Takakeisho too, though. There's a reason everybody made a big deal the one time he threw somebody.

Nativity In Black
Oct 24, 2012

I expected Abi to henka, because I figured that was his best chance at winning. He and Keisho are definitely in the same boat where they rely on getting a fast start and keeping up the momentum on the thrusting, but Keisho is miles better at it.

Well that and Keisho has the benefit of a larger mass and lower center of gravity.

FWIW, it seems like the time off did Keisho heaps of good, at least early in this tournament.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Fearless posted:

Yeah, it's one reason I don't use that stream anymore. Chat's gotten insufferable and their wishing injury on Abi for the playoff henka vs Takayasu just disgusted me to no end.

Banana Canada
Sep 2, 2003
I'd tax all foreigners living abroad.

Kenning posted:

For the first time ever, all 4 of our ozeki are kadoban, so depending on the results of this tournament we could see some major shuffling up top.

Kenning posted:

Final results

Makuuchi
code:
69	Brut
58	Akiosan
57.5	Vargatron
56	MyChemicalImbalance
55	Kenning
53	Marching Powder
52.5	Banana Canada
52.5	Mode 7
51.5	Saturnine Aberrance
51	Eli949
50.5	Pakled
50	GoatSeeGuy
50	Khizan
50	pseudodragon
50	Teddybear
49	Iron Chef Nex
48.5	Charles Gnarwin
48.5	NuclearPotato
48	Everyones Favorite Poster
46	Helianthus Annuus
45.5	bessantj
45	Netsky
44.5	Thauros
44	Fluffdaddy
44	Kuros
43.5	Ice Phisherman
43.5	Robviously
43.5	Tiny Bug Child
43	whats for dinner
42	Lid
40	anakha
39.5	Tochiazuma
39	Communist Thoughts
39	Jobbo_Fett
37	bartolimu
33.5	LlamaTrauma
Juryo
code:
59.5	Crusty Nutsack
56.5	rare Magic card l00k
56	Xerzes
55	FART BOSS
53.5	Single Tight Female
52	Average Lettuce
49.5	Nativity In Black
48.5	Chinook
48	Ben Nerevarine
48	Boogalo
47.5	Fearless
46.5	NTRabbit
46.5	Samuel L. Hacksaw
45.5	Bentai
44.5	Octatonic
43	Dead Goon
43	QuasiQuack
43	Takuan
40	Gaghskull
40	oldskool
39	Eldoop
38.5	Medenmath
38	Log082
37	ratmosphere
33.5	PJ
33	ImplicitAssembler
27.5	Beexoffel

Am I really kadoban?

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
I've decided to watch more sumo so I'm here to see some big boys run into each other.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Karla_sumoist on twitch is another abema stream but much more chill without all ads and lovely community. Just straight stream. They're oddly offline tonight though.

Another thing you can do is just search live sumo on youtube, filter for live, and you'll find streams

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

Khizan posted:

This is absolutely Takakeisho too, though. There's a reason everybody made a big deal the one time he threw somebody.

To be fair, if his one trick is good enough to make him the second best in the world, then there's no reason to do anything to try anything new and riskier (from his perspective) until someone can actually do something about it.

And I doubt that with his build (and T-Rex arms) there's much he can do against someone like Teru on the belt anyways.

If you're built like a bowling ball, be the best drat bowling ball you can be.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

pseudodragon posted:

To be fair, if his one trick is good enough to make him the second best in the world, then there's no reason to do anything to try anything new and riskier (from his perspective) until someone can actually do something about it.

See: Kotoshogiku

Brut
Aug 21, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 days!

Boogalo posted:

Karla_sumoist on twitch is another abema stream but much more chill without all ads and lovely community. Just straight stream. They're oddly offline tonight though.

There's a 7 hour long Past Broadcast labeled "8 hours ago" so I'm guessing they had internet trouble or something, they actually just went back live again as I'm typing this.

Robviously
Aug 21, 2010

Genius. Billionaire. Playboy. Philanthropist.

Looking to trade Kotoeko for Kinbozan, Takayasu or Onosho in that order.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Day 6, for however long these last:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwAKCGMQb4g

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4elYlEeR1o