Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

im also going to stop reading this until power comes back. if everyone stops reading then fujimoto will have no choice but to listen

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking
i'm going to read it 5x as much now to prove how cool asa is

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
asa and power are both excellent, but power would bully asa mercilessly if they ever met

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

cuntman.net posted:

im also going to stop reading this until power comes back. if everyone stops reading then fujimoto will have no choice but to listen

Last time everyone talked about how much they liked Power, Fujimoto gave her PTSD before killing her. Twice.

I'm not sure that the plan will work out as hoped this time.

As for Power versus Asa and Yoru, right now Power is better than Yoru, flat out, no contest. Power gets to interact more freely with the cast, has more consistent dynamics, and we've seen Power's whole arc rather than just the parts we've gotten with Yoru. Asa... is more complicated.

First off, that just means what it says. Asa is the co-lead of part 2 and until recently she was the main protagonist of the part with no modifiers necessary. We've got more Asa insight than for Power, and Asa's used that time to get messier and messier as a person, while still holding together as a coherent whole. Power is a one-sentence descriptor, while Asa gets whole essays of inner thought.

Of course, this also makes Power better at some things. When Power shows up, you know what you're going to get most of the time, and you get it fast, with a lot of the best gags in the series. Asa, meanwhile, is more uncertain. Sure, sometimes you get gags, but other times you get more contemplative beats, or tragedy, or poetry. It means you don't get the same guaranteed payout.

What's more, Power is less prominent. Even ignoring her absence in Bomb (now being matched by Asa in the latest arc) Power is a clear supporting character, unlike Asa, which means that her vanishing for an arc or two when there's nothing for her to do feels much more natural, giving more breathing room for the rest of the cast.

Oh, and there's the relationships. Power and Denji are buddies. Might be sibling-y, might be something more on Power's end, but it's firm and one of the emotional anchors of the series. It works.

Asa and Denji's relationship makes them both worse, unfortunately including interest. The chapters in the Falling arc revolving around them together are some of the few Chainsaw Man chapters that I'd say aren't, well, good.

I'm not saying Asa is bad, to be clear. She's really well written, and when she's got a good chapter, she's compelling as anyone in Chainsaw Man. Even her dynamics with Denji can make for good reading, with their failure to connect under Yoshida's matchmaking and their date from Hell giving both of them some great moments. But her worst (as a character, to be clear. Some of her terrible moments as a person work great) put her well behind Power, even as her best moments put her well ahead. It's tricky to argue which is better, because different people want different things out of Chainsaw Man, and Asa and Power go pretty hard in different directions, even if they both fit.

(Heck, I think Fujimoto has some trouble with figuring out how to best use Asa sometimes, but that requires a lot of tangents and interview references and discussion of basic narrative structure in an already-long post).

Anyway, I'd say Nayuta is probably the best hook for Power fans, if only because "What would Denji and Makima's daughter be like?" is a question with an answer sharing more than a little of the egotistical absurdity that made Power such a treat.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
im not reading any of that. i like asa more because she is just like me, fr fr

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Power would die for her cat like me, tho.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

Snooze Cruise posted:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Snooze Cruise posted:

Asa would read lengthy negative lectures about Asa, though. Then she'd go into self loathing, arrogance about her superiority to the writer, or both at once.

Declaring superiority without actually reading anything is a Power move.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ok

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

chiasaur11 posted:

Last time everyone talked about how much they liked Power, Fujimoto gave her PTSD before killing her. Twice.

As for Power versus Asa and Yoru, right now Power is better than Yoru, flat out, no contest. Power gets to interact more freely with the cast, has more consistent dynamics, and we've seen Power's whole arc rather than just the parts we've gotten with Yoru. Asa... is more complicated.

First off, that just means what it says. Asa is the co-lead of part 2 and until recently she was the main protagonist of the part with no modifiers necessary. We've got more Asa insight than for Power, and Asa's used that time to get messier and messier as a person, while still holding together as a coherent whole. Power is a one-sentence descriptor, while Asa gets whole essays of inner thought.

Of course, this also makes Power better at some things. When Power shows up, you know what you're going to get most of the time, and you get it fast, with a lot of the best gags in the series. Asa, meanwhile, is more uncertain. Sure, sometimes you get gags, but other times you get more contemplative beats, or tragedy, or poetry. It means you don't get the same guaranteed payout.

What's more, Power is less prominent. Even ignoring her absence in Bomb (now being matched by Asa in the latest arc) Power is a clear supporting character, unlike Asa, which means that her vanishing for an arc or two when there's nothing for her to do feels much more natural, giving more breathing room for the rest of the cast.

Oh, and there's the relationships. Power and Denji are buddies. Might be sibling-y, might be something more on Power's end, but it's firm and one of the emotional anchors of the series. It works.

Asa and Denji's relationship makes them both worse, unfortunately including interest. The chapters in the Falling arc revolving around them together are some of the few Chainsaw Man chapters that I'd say aren't, well, good.

I'm not saying Asa is bad, to be clear. She's really well written, and when she's got a good chapter, she's compelling as anyone in Chainsaw Man. Even her dynamics with Denji can make for good reading, with their failure to connect under Yoshida's matchmaking and their date from Hell giving both of them some great moments. But her worst (as a character, to be clear. Some of her terrible moments as a person work great) put her well behind Power, even as her best moments put her well ahead. It's tricky to argue which is better, because different people want different things out of Chainsaw Man, and Asa and Power go pretty hard in different directions, even if they both fit.

(Heck, I think Fujimoto has some trouble with figuring out how to best use Asa sometimes, but that requires a lot of tangents and interview references and discussion of basic narrative structure in an already-long post).

Anyway, I'd say Nayuta is probably the best hook for Power fans, if only because "What would Denji and Makima's daughter be like?" is a question with an answer sharing more than a little of the egotistical absurdity that made Power such a treat.

I just wanted to see penguins....

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I would not trust a guide by Yoshida.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

chiasaur11 posted:

ok

Big Leg
May 22, 2020

a corpse is talking

chiasaur11 posted:

The day we went on our first motorcycle ride,

I felt your body heat for the very first time.

Your head was a chainsaw, yet I could not deny that your warmth was human, that of someone alive.

In retrospect, every time you save my life, my body’s cold as can be, frozen as ice.

Although I’m doomed to always end up all alone, you always came to my rescue.

That much I know.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

cuntman.net posted:

Same, but Himeno.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

lol going to beforeiread.com to look up the best chainsawman chapter read order and learn if i can lock myself out of anything

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
If you’re only reading the story for one character, then you’re not a real fan, and should be ignored

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
Well I for one appreciated the Power vs Asa essay.

I am still very curious if Power/the Blood Devil will ever come back and what they'll be like if so.

blossommirage
Nov 7, 2012

I am going to stop reading this manga until Reze comes back. I'm curious about what's up with that Makima lady, she seems kinda nefarious, but if Reze isn't there, I don't care enough.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
as in gabriel garcia marquez's autumn of the patriarch, i am going to drink turpentine until i forget how to read entirely.

my theory of power is that she doesn't need to come back because her central character growth is the extent to which she is or isn't a looney tunes character (the training arc could be replaced entirely with denji and power getting blown up by acme dynamite, running into tunnels painted on the sides of cliffs, putting "free booze for kishibe" under a box held up by a stick, making little flailing bicycle kicks in mid air before they fall down cliffs, etc.). ultimately it was decided that she isn't a looney tunes character, so there you have it. nothing more to be done.

yoru/asa is a continuation of chainsawman's existing narrative themes around the lacanian notion of the other and the process by which desire is moderated by the other and the unattainability of the object cause of desire and so can keep going so long as these conflicts escape resolution (so, indefinitely). she is also, as mentioned, just like me fr fr.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Power as you know her is dead forever

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

lmao

YES bread
Jun 16, 2006

copy
Jul 26, 2007

power was cool because in addition to being power she was part of the emotional center of the story as a key member of denji's found family. you're right that nayuta fills that niche now, though, and it is interesting seeing denji in different roles. there's a reason pochita trusts him to help devils who really need help.

but also

lmfao

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Why are you like this

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I like that this is the first time we've ever really seen Denji confronted with the consequences of his penchant for collateral damage and you can see it hit him

Granted yeah during the fight with Aki he was kind of laser focused on having to murder his friend

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

hatty posted:

Power as you know her is dead forever

The blood devil will return in a new form, more powerful than ever.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

King of Solomon posted:

This is what they preach in the Church of the Blood Devil.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

copy
Jul 26, 2007

King of Solomon posted:

this

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
lmfao

rodney mullenkamp
Nov 5, 2010

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

THE DISCOURSE DEVIL

Farg