Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

what about punk hazard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

What about it

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Drakkel posted:

They will probably edit the bit where Usopp tells Luffy to wear an afro because it'll make him punch like a black person, yes.

this is a reference to afro'd okinawan/japanese boxing legend yoko gushiken, not a race thing

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

what about punk hazard

fits in with Dressrosa. More than a lot of the stories in OP, Punk Hazard could be condensed into two episodes. Again, would love if they took their time and gave it more breathing room, but I'm expecting a continuation of "A Series of Unfortunate Events" treatment here, where each book got two ep'd.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
and then zou is the first couple of whole cake. ezpz

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Waffleman_ posted:

I mean that wasn't even a thing

It was just a really bad fan translation

mikeycp posted:

this is a reference to afro'd okinawan/japanese boxing legend yoko gushiken, not a race thing

Yeah, this was a reference to a specific Japanese boxing champion, the translators just decided to do the race thing because reference to specific Japanese boxing champions probably don't "localise" well outside Japan.

Also I definitely expect season 2 is Loguetown (1 episode), Whiskey Peak and Laboon combined (1 episode and have Whiskey Peak be built around the exit of the reverse mountain instead of the first island in the chain), Little Garden (1 episode) Drum Island (1 episode), Alabasta (4 Episodes). With some room to increase one of the early islands to 2 episodes and reduce Alabasta to 3, if they only get 8 again, if they get 10 then Drum and Loguetown get 2 episodes each.

Also probably have Robin be more prominent as part of Baroque Works as a management figure, basically she'd be doing all the talking for Crocodile before Alabasta to the other agents, giving them missions and stuff so that she and Smoker can have half the B Plot time each (since I suspect Smoker chasing the Straw Hats will be substituted in for Koby/Helmeppo/Garp doing that).

I think we're likely to get a Marine antagonist and a Pirate final boss for each live action series, if they can. Or something close to that.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Sep 14, 2023

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

lmao at the idea that that era of one piece scanlators were interested in anything except literal translation.

they just didn't know

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Resuming OPLA and goddamn Kuro complaining about his 16 million bounty is so funny

what a loving chump

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

mikeycp posted:

Oh, had no idea! Interestin'

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Oh noooo, I'm Captain Kuwo, things are too spicy in the weakest sea in the world oh nooooooooooo I'm soooooooo scared :qq:

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

Oh noooo, I'm Captain Kuwo, things are too spicy in the weakest sea in the world oh nooooooooooo I'm soooooooo scared :qq:

marines start getting bounties and they start getting scared too

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I mean they're cops that's to be expected. Cops are cowards.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Alvida and Buggy wore their bounties with greater dignity than Kuro.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Funky Valentine posted:

Alvida and Buggy wore their bounties with greater dignity than Kuro.

Alvida's terror on the seas was born of her ego, while Buggy served with Gol D. Roger on his crew, and while he lost his way, never lost his spark. That's why he clowned on Crocodile and Mihawk.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Where's the TCB scan assholes.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

If you want my scans, they're yours for the taking! I left everything I translated in one site, now you just have to find it!

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Waffleman_ posted:

If you want my scans, they're yours for the taking! I left everything I translated in one site, now you just have to find it!

Bitch I'mma Gum-Gum you to the moon.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

In like 12-14 hours

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Important context: I watched One Piece when it first aired on Fox Kids. I then followed it to subs and watched it to the end of Marineford. Then, I went to college and forgot about. I just got back into it this week after watching the Live Action show last week. I am watching One Pace to speed things up. The Noah has just enteted the bubble, Hody was defeated, and the squid, invisible guy, octopus, and umi bozo were just defeated.

I really don't know what to make of One Piece's race metaphor.

Like, in some readings it can be even victim blaming or claiming modern generations fighting against racism have no personal experience with it. But I feel that's unfair to Oda.

The Fishman are abused by humans and it isn't unreasonable for kids to grow up resenting the mistreatment. Yes, seeking revenge will not solve that problem but I also have never met an activist who actually wants revenge. The villians represent extremist raced on fishmen-superority propaganda but that propaganda is a bigoted reactionary movement from human bigotry.

I can't decide how to fall on it. I feel oddly uncomfortable. There are moments where it feels right. Like, I knew Hody was going to say he was driven by no personal bad experience with humans because he was clearly a bigot. But then it shows him having to grow up hearing about others being mistreated by humans and that actually happening so...that is kind of personal experience? Like, just cause it's second hand doesn't mean you didn't grow up hearing your people were mistreated and enslaved. Like, the fear that breeds is still a personal experience. Speaking from experience as someone whose had to hide to survive in my own country.

It feels...off. Like, I can't decide how to feel about it. I don't know. Just wanted to share.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Lord_Magmar posted:

Also I definitely expect season 2 is Loguetown (1 episode), Whiskey Peak and Laboon combined (1 episode and have Whiskey Peak be built around the exit of the reverse mountain instead of the first island in the chain), Little Garden (1 episode) Drum Island (1 episode), Alabasta (4 Episodes). With some room to increase one of the early islands to 2 episodes and reduce Alabasta to 3, if they only get 8 again, if they get 10 then Drum and Loguetown get 2 episodes each.

loguetown is tiny, there's no reason for it to be more than one episode.

CatstropheWaitress posted:

imo that no one asked for, you could do

S1 - East Blue
S2 - Alabasta
S3 - Sky Island + Water 7
S4 - Thriller Bark + Sabaody

Then turn Summit War into two movie special, one for the prison break, one for the war itself.

S5 - Fishman / Dressrosa
S6 - Whole Cake / Wano
S7 - Wano (rooftop season)

Granted I'd be on the side of taking as much time as they want with any of these, the more the merrier (heh heh).

some of those would either be impossibly condensed or require making the seasons longer to the point that you may as well just have two seasons.

my take would be something like this, not that i expect it'll get anywhere close to this far:
loguetown to alabasta would be possible in 8 episodes but you'd probably want to give drum island a second episode and another for alabasta wouldn't hurt
jaya + skypiea. maybe throw in davy back fight at the end if you have room but i'd expect that'll be cut completely
water 7 + enies lobby, but this is probably a lot for 8 episodes even with the expected condensation
thriller bark + sabaody. maybe even amazon lily would fit but the kuma fight as a cliffhanger would be ideal
amazon lily/impel down/marineford/straw hat separation side stories
fishman island + punk hazard
dressrosa
zou + whole cake island
wano

these are all in the ballpark of 100 chapters each. fishman island & punk hazard could definitely be done in 2 episodes each but i don't think you easily fit all of dressrosa in 4 episodes, there's just a stupid amount going on there even if you cut out the relatively extraneous parts. it could be all one season with a few more episodes though idk. i figure you'd probably expand the straw hats under sanji going to zou during dressrosa too.

i don't think bon clay is really too hard to adapt in a way that doesn't come across as offensive (drag queen and/or making him explicitly non-binary, rejecting the idea of gender entirely). the kamabakka kingdom would obviously need a massive rework no matter what though, or probably even complete replacement because it's basically just a 'sanji is homophobic/transphobic' gag that idk how you could possibly fix.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Resuming OPLA and goddamn Kuro complaining about his 16 million bounty is so funny

what a loving chump
In his defense, that's probably the level of bounty that freelance bounty hunters actually go after. You can scare someone away with a 100 million bounty. Even if you're really strong, you know they're going to be a pain to take down. A 16 million bounty is probably a relatively safe, if somewhat modest, paycheck for a world class bounty hunter. Especially since Kuro wasn't part of another crew and not under anyone else's protection. Easy pickings. Probably worth a vacation in the East Blue to collect.

Edit:

lih posted:

i don't think bon clay is really too hard to adapt in a way that doesn't come across as offensive (drag queen and/or making him explicitly non-binary, rejecting the idea of gender entirely). the kamabakka kingdom would obviously need a massive rework no matter what though, or probably even complete replacement because it's basically just a 'sanji is homophobic/transphobic' gag that idk how you could possibly fix.
Fixing Kamabakka is super easy: make the okama cool flamboyant campy people, and make Sanji resist some other trivial matter of personal pride, like their overuse of oregano or something.

I actually think the setting is pretty cool, I just hate Sanji in that context, not the setting.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Sep 14, 2023

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
make everyone on kamabakka super hot and sanji's actions read very differently

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Iirc there was a One Piece game that allowed you to beat up pirates and turn in the bounties, with the joke being that after red tape and fees you picked up like 5000 off a 5 million bounty.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was Odyssey

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I got so angry at the lack of a TCB chapter that I read Nami's backstory up to where she asks Luffy for help and I'm crying.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.

Eiba posted:

Fixing Kamabakka is super easy: make the okama cool flamboyant campy people, and make Sanji resist some other trivial matter of personal pride, like their overuse of oregano or something.

I actually think the setting is pretty cool, I just hate Sanji in that context, not the setting.

yeah i guess you could do something like that. it's not really hard to make the setting work (queer paradise where the gender binary doesn't exist is pretty easy), just having it work in relation to sanji is what seemed like the problem to me.

Covok posted:

Important context: I watched One Piece when it first aired on Fox Kids. I then followed it to subs and watched it to the end of Marineford. Then, I went to college and forgot about. I just got back into it this week after watching the Live Action show last week. I am watching One Pace to speed things up. The Noah has just enteted the bubble, Hody was defeated, and the squid, invisible guy, octopus, and umi bozo were just defeated.

Like, in some readings it can be even victim blaming or claiming modern generations fighting against racism have no personal experience with it. But I feel that's unfair to Oda.

The Fishman are abused by humans and it isn't unreasonable for kids to grow up resenting the mistreatment. Yes, seeking revenge will not solve that problem but I also have never met an activist who actually wants revenge. The villians represent extremist raced on fishmen-superority propaganda but that propaganda is a bigoted reactionary movement from human bigotry.

I can't decide how to fall on it. I feel oddly uncomfortable. There are moments where it feels right. Like, I knew Hody was going to say he was driven by no personal bad experience with humans because he was clearly a bigot. But then it shows him having to grow up hearing about others being mistreated by humans and that actually happening so...that is kind of personal experience? Like, just cause it's second hand doesn't mean you didn't grow up hearing your people were mistreated and enslaved. Like, the fear that breeds is still a personal experience. Speaking from experience as someone whose had to hide to survive in my own country.

It feels...off. Like, I can't decide how to feel about it. I don't know. Just wanted to share.

yeah it's pretty clumsy. i get what it's going for with hody being a reactionary response to the racism of humans, only interested in revenge instead of liberation, but the execution is pretty messy. for example, all the stuff about otohime urging everyone not to be angry at the humans and forgive them, and not really distinguishing between righteous anger and hody & arlong's reactionary ideology of superiority?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Eiichiro Oda was telling a very complicated story with Fishman Island so I can understand the difficulty of knowing what was being gone for, thankfully I think we can look at the whole of One Piece to decipher the Enigma.

Racism is Bad, Slavery is Bad.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://tcbscans.com/chapters/7484/one-piece-chapter-1092?date=13-9-2023-22

tcb version

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

hoby hear sabout bad things that happened and it makes him a racist. otohime hears about how humans killed her mother for no good reason and sees how the hatred poisoned her family, and chooses to move forward. thats the point. hes meant to mirror her, and his racism isnt meant to be graded as justified/unjustified, but as reactionary and harmful to the fishmen themselves. if you want to try to spiral that off into some kind of dialogue about respectability politics or something then sure whatever, but oda is from a pretty monoethnic place and i dont think his considerations went to that point.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's really weird that the entire fishman island arc was basically about how otohime was right. because she wasn't right, as oda has continually demonstrated ever since. fishmen can't make peace with the celestial dragons because celestial dragons don't view anyone as people. you can't make peace with someone that sees you as livestock. sure, it's possible to get through to an individual here and there, but the monstrous society built around the celestial dragons have ways of dealing with such abnormalities.

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

what about punk hazard
Just add a 10sec filler of Mihawk slicing up some random DF user next to a barrel of fruits, problem solved and skip to dressrosa.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Thank you, may I please have the next one now?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I know it's Akainu himself referencing Kuma, but a panel of Akainu in frame with the words "You're just a damned puppet now" is :discourse:

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Covok posted:

its off because its real in a way this genre never is

edit: i’ll clarify. the fishmen are only a metaphor for racism at first. thats to ease you in to a dialectical understanding of the world. then you really start to know the evil of the world government and the celestial dragons…..as it were

scary ghost dog fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Sep 14, 2023

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

it's really weird that the entire fishman island arc was basically about how otohime was right. because she wasn't right, as oda has continually demonstrated ever since. fishmen can't make peace with the celestial dragons because celestial dragons don't view anyone as people. you can't make peace with someone that sees you as livestock. sure, it's possible to get through to an individual here and there, but the monstrous society built around the celestial dragons have ways of dealing with such abnormalities.

I thought Otohime wasn’t portrayed as wholly right; Fisher Tiger had a point too, largely for the same reasons you point out.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Silver2195 posted:

I thought Otohime wasn’t portrayed as wholly right; Fisher Tiger had a point too, largely for the same reasons you point out.

Yeah, this is something I really appreciate about the Fishman Island arc. It suggests both the agitator and the pacifist are roles which are vital for bringing about meaningful change, with the agitator being more vital for overcoming oppression and the pacifist being more vital for keeping that agitation from perpetuating after it's no longer needed, and instead promoting equality.

Edit: Yes this is an oversimplification and isn't how things ended up playing out in the series but these things don't happen all at once anyway - change is a series of small battles, small steps which add up to something bigger over time.

jassa fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Sep 14, 2023

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Covok posted:

Want to mention that the Anime busted apart Hody’s whole character by adding filler where he is more directly exposed to racism. I don’t know if One Pace cut that or not, though. In the manga he was more personally removed from it and the ”inherited hate” plot line was much clearer.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

jassa posted:

Yeah, this is something I really appreciate about the Fishman Island arc. It suggests both the agitator and the pacifist are roles which are vital for bringing about meaningful change, with the agitator being more vital for overcoming oppression and the pacifist being more vital for keeping that agitation from perpetuating after it's no longer needed, and instead promoting equality.

Edit: Yes this is an oversimplification and isn't how things ended up playing out in the series but these things don't happen all at once anyway - change is a series of small battles, small steps which add up to something bigger over time.

change could have been that, yes. but then they introduced shanks' dad, the guy who executes any celestial dragons who take those small steps.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

New chapter rules. Glad Gear 4 isn't being kept locked away behind some meaningless power-up requirement and he can just do it whenever

Bisse posted:

I don’t know if One Pace cut that or not, though. In the manga he was more personally removed from it and the ”inherited hate” plot line was much clearer.

I watched the One Pace cut semi-recently, and he was very much gently caress All Non-Fishmen in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Hmm nice words, but they deleted Gaimon so obviously this is a lie

Chapter spoiler Re-reading Kizaru’s dialog before his supermassive attack, it sounds like he’s got his own agenda and actually wants to save Vegapunk. Could just be a bad translation though.

I’m thinking there’s some sort of relationship between kizaru and vegapunk, since the lazer beams are based on his devil fruit powers. We got a bit more aokiji backstory during the last cutaway, maybe this time we get something with kizaru/kuma/bonnie?