Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

It's kind of impressive that it took until Enterprise for someone to turn up the grav plating. Although we did see it disabled for a similar purpose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
Oops. Now my girlfriend's six year old's favorite phrase, which she repeats constantly, is "Brain and brain. What is brain?"

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Kesper North posted:

Oops. Now my girlfriend's six year old's favorite phrase, which she repeats constantly, is "Brain and brain. What is brain?"

:sickos:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Somehow until today I'd never realised that the second in command in Homefront is Leah Brahms

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

I really hope she does it in public and breaks an unsuspecting TOS fan

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
Also years ago there was a show on here in the UK, a panel show - with star trek people.
It was in 1997 and called Space Cadets. It was the first time I'd ever seen Rom without makeup and it's seared into my head but I'd only recently remembered the name. Even Shatner was on it once, it's worth a watch if you can find it.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MikeJF posted:

Really, with the stuff that should be available to a ship internally just with its standard systems, the only way you should be able to board a ship and not get instantly defeated would be in some kind of full blown self-contained armoured environment suit with the ability to shrug off being gassed/boiled/flattened/beamed/forcefielded/etc.

Right, and that's before you even get to the logical, specific anti-boarding measures like auto turrets, blast doors, hologram decoys, drones, equally armored security teams...

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Coming of Age is actually a pretty good episode, I like Wesley's plot and the setup for some unknown conflict inside the Federation is intriguing, and even the rear end in a top hat officer investigating them is won over and wants to join the crew by the end! Now to take a big sip of coffee and see what this follows on to...

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

MikeJF posted:

Really, with the stuff that should be available to a ship internally just with its standard systems, the only way you should be able to board a ship and not get instantly defeated would be in some kind of full blown self-contained armoured environment suit with the ability to shrug off being gassed/boiled/flattened/beamed/forcefielded/etc.

Or just be Wesley Crusher.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

Any ship that has a bunch of murderous internal systems designed to kill attackers has an approximately 100% chance of eventually killing its own crew with them

Everyone's learned that lesson the hard way, whether it was virus, energy being, saboteur....

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

No Dignity posted:

Coming of Age is actually a pretty good episode, I like Wesley's plot and the setup for some unknown conflict inside the Federation is intriguing, and even the rear end in a top hat officer investigating them is won over and wants to join the crew by the end! Now to take a big sip of coffee and see what this follows on to...

I really like the interrogation scenes where they swap out the crew members as Remmick asks his questions. I'm sure it's a cutting technique borrowed from something else, but it's the kind of playful stylism that's rare but appreciated in Trek.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Eons ago in this very thread, someone said something to the effect of the "if I was captain, my ship would be full of holoemitters and if someone boarded, I'd just say 'computer, bees.'"

My security system would constantly be doing a combadge headcount. Anyone found without a combadge or authorized tag would be biometrically compared with ship crew, Starfleet records, and boarding authorization. Persons falling into one of these groups would be beamed to an agony booth. All others would simply be taken into the transporter buffer and harmlessly erased.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Sash! posted:

Eons ago in this very thread, someone said something to the effect of the "if I was captain, my ship would be full of holoemitters and if someone boarded, I'd just say 'computer, bees.'"

My security system would constantly be doing a combadge headcount. Anyone found without a combadge or authorized tag would be biometrically compared with ship crew, Starfleet records, and boarding authorization. Persons falling into one of these groups would be beamed to an agony booth. All others would simply be taken into the transporter buffer and harmlessly erased.

Three fatal words: 'holo-bee malfunction'

It's dangerous enough RPing Sherlock Holmes, shipwide bee swarms seems like a deathwish

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
the emitters are jammed(?) so that they produce really big holo bees and you have to shoot them all until they explode with your phaser rifle to save the ship

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Sash! posted:

I didn't know you were an admiral

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Sash! posted:

That captain five seconds after installing Bee Protocol Alpha

https://twitter.com/StuartJRitchie/status/1702305867993919664

Ah that's how universal translators work.

zoux fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Sep 14, 2023

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

zoux posted:

https://twitter.com/StuartJRitchie/status/1702305867993919664

Ah that's how universal translators work.

Except they beam the translation directly into your head.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

zoux posted:

There are some very weird and specific things I love about Voyager and I loving loved it when they broke out the Janeway tank top survival outfit. Hell that might be the only episode it actually happens in for all the specifics I actually remember it just made an impression okay. That's the look of a captain who gets poo poo done.

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Kate Mulgrew owns. I mean, she's Mrs. Columbo.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sash! posted:

lol look at this guy who trusts software

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I just watched the Passenger episode of DS9, and Quark was directly responsible for hiring a group of mercenaries that attempted to hijack an important shipment and killed at least 3 people(I assume those weren't set to stun, they had pyrotechnics go off when the people were shot). How did Odo not have him locked away after that lol.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Sash! posted:

:awesomelon: Captain, we have discovered a loophole in the admiral's security system. While there are intensive biometric scans, they are only applied to 'unknown' individuals, that is, those without a commbadge.

:techno: And individuals without a commbadge are instantly transported into the brig, no exceptions.

:ughh: I see. Number one, I believe this is your department.

:riker: All I need to do to save the Federation is seduce some hottie from the crew, scoop up the commbadge from my bedroom floor, then transport over to the ship and rip the tabs off the commanding officer?

:riker: My whole career has lead up to this moment.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

This feels like its a prime set up for a Lower Decks episode, a paranoid captain that's rigged their ship with so many safety features that they turned the ship in to a death trap full of holo bees.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kibayasu posted:

There are some very weird and specific things I love about Voyager and I loving loved it when they broke out the Janeway tank top survival outfit. Hell that might be the only episode it actually happens in for all the specifics I actually remember it just made an impression okay. That's the look of a captain who gets poo poo done.

The macrovirus episode might be stupid as hell but it's one of my favorite Voyager episodes for Kate McClain.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Kibayasu posted:

My recollection is that she's solo because she was on her way back from some conference or something. I always thought it was funny and very Federation that on their decades-long journey home, they still stopped off at various symposia and contributed relevant keystone speakers or papers.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

zoux posted:

My recollection is that she's solo because she was on her way back from some conference or something. I always thought it was funny and very Federation that on their decades-long journey home, they still stopped off at various symposia and contributed relevant keystone speakers or papers.

Neelix was with her, but he was incapacitated quickly as he’s Neelix.

I think that was the episode where they were away meeting some aliens and Janeway pissed them off by putting her hands on her hips.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Just saw Move Along Home. That was a perfectly fine silly episode of star trek, I don't get the constant hatred for it lol.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Boxturret posted:

Just saw Move Along Home. That was a perfectly fine silly episode of star trek, I don't get the constant hatred for it lol.

:yeah:, its kind of dumb but its fun a goofy enough that it slides by. Its not even the worst episode of the first season.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Feldegast42 posted:

:yeah:, its kind of dumb but its fun a goofy enough that it slides by. Its not even the worst episode of the first season.

I assume the honor of worst S1 episode goes to The Storyteller?

e: Or maybe If Wishes Were Horses, now that I look at the list again

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Sep 14, 2023

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I’ve resolved to watch DS9 properly for the first time. Why did nobody tell me there’s a whole episode in the first season about making first contact with a race of Gamers. Worth slogging through an average first few episodes. This owns

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Are you guys being paid by the writer of that episode or something

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

zoux posted:

Are you guys being paid by the writer of that episode or something

Does it come up a lot

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Powered Descent posted:

I assume the honor of worst S1 episode goes to The Storyteller?

e: Or maybe If Wishes Were Horses, now that I look at the list again
The Passenger. A poor mystery with a bafflingly bad performance by Siddig.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

Does it come up a lot

Today it has

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Lord Hydronium posted:

IIRC, Sid got the script last of any of the cast for some reason, and then his interpretation and the director's interpretation were just way off from each other.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Lord Hydronium posted:

Yeah its this. The Storyteller is also real bad but its salvaged by starting O'Brien and Bashir's bromance.

Also the race of Gamers was probably dominated by the Dominion at some point so I say Gamers rise up

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

zoux posted:

Today it has

It was used in the Lower Decks ep today

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Sorry, The Storyteller owns.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

I just happened to get to it in my very slow watch through this morning.
I wish I could get paid to say that all the hated episodes of star trek are fine, actually. Instead I just do it for free, like a fool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Zaroff posted:

Neelix was with her, but he was incapacitated quickly as he’s Neelix.

I think that was the episode where they were away meeting some aliens and Janeway pissed them off by putting her hands on her hips.

Which is basically the same joke as Archer with the guys who got mad at the humans eating in front of them.

The macrovirus episode is basically Mulgrew getting to be Ellen Ripley, just like the saddle one is P-Stew getting to be John McLane.