Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Starting Legend of Final Fantasy II.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

In Training posted:

Starting Legend of Final Fantasy II. Made a Human Female, Mutant Male, Robot and Imp.

Monsters basically suck for 95% of the game, but FFLII is still one of my favorite games ever

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

P-Mack posted:

Monsters basically suck for 95% of the game, but FFLII is still one of my favorite games ever

This was true in 1 too but they ended up being my MVPs for the final boss once I looked up a evolve chart and make Omega Slimes or w/e.

Robot is OP so far. But I'm about 8 minutes in.

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Robots start OP and never stop being OP. I recommend the DS version with a translation patch. Good rear end game.

P-Mack
Nov 10, 2007

The only hard part of an all robot party is not having a healer but you can use NPCs for that most of the time.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
finally finished Octopath 2. Great game, can't recommend it highly enough. gonna play Sea of Stars next

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Robot main character in FFL2 is really funny.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Beat Sea of Stars. Good game, would recommend. Is it worth going back to get the True Ending?

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I looked it up and apparently I've done everything for it already except collect all the conch shells, lol gently caress. what a bad decision to make that part of it

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I looked it up and apparently I've done everything for it already except collect all the conch shells, lol gently caress. what a bad decision to make that part of it

yea thats why i didnt bother lol. doin the optional bosses should have been enough

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

extremebuff posted:

yea thats why i didnt bother lol. doin the optional bosses should have been enough

I only need like 9 more but I'm so tired of backtracking already. At least give us a "fully restore MP after battle" relic for exploration purposes. wtf

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

I only need like 9 more but I'm so tired of backtracking already. At least give us a "fully restore MP after battle" relic for exploration purposes. wtf

the backtracking is brutal. fighting low level enemies takes almost exactly as long as it does the first time and you get jack poo poo for xp. i'm just backtracking to hte first island after getting the boat but fighting like ten ants that are five levels below me ended up being one of the longest fights in the game so far.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I got the tude now posted:

the backtracking is brutal. fighting low level enemies takes almost exactly as long as it does the first time and you get jack poo poo for xp. i'm just backtracking to hte first island after getting the boat but fighting like ten ants that are five levels below me ended up being one of the longest fights in the game so far.

you really shouldn't even bother with exploring until you can fly, and even then you won't get everything you need for the epic True Ending.

Severe 7/10 vibes from Sea of Stars. Absolutely worth playing, but not worth your time

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

you really shouldn't even bother with exploring until you can fly, and even then you won't get everything you need for the epic True Ending.

Severe 7/10 vibes from Sea of Stars. Absolutely worth playing, but not worth your time

there really needed to be more moves. your 2 main characters have 2 spells for the entire game and thats it. sun boy learns a new skill later on and its worse than the sunball in most situations lol. really makes all combat feel the same

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Poppers
Jan 21, 2023

Square Enix sale on the switch store

I got the tude now
Jul 22, 2007

extremebuff posted:

there really needed to be more moves. your 2 main characters have 2 spells for the entire game and thats it. sun boy learns a new skill later on and its worse than the sunball in most situations lol. really makes all combat feel the same

there's so little progression in general. i don't even look forward to leveling up.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
It's a really awesome game but just doesn't feel fully baked. I just got flying and have started backtracking, but don't know if I should bother

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Spanish Manlove posted:

It's a really awesome game but just doesn't feel fully baked. I just got flying and have started backtracking, but don't know if I should bother

The shrines are worth doing at least. So are all the optional bosses, there's some good poo poo there too

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

The shrines are worth doing at least. So are all the optional bosses, there's some good poo poo there too

which one do you liked better, this one or chained echoes

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
sea of farks

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Fungah! posted:

which one do you liked better, this one or chained echoes

Chained Echoes for the story and how weird it gets + the ending was nailed perfectly. It's not nearly as polished and pretty as Sea of Stars but mechanically it's better.

It's funny because Chained Echoes has the opposite problem of giving you too many skills and a limited number of slots to use them, so you likely won't use like half of them at all

Both good tho, worthy of a playthru

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

Neat. I did all the shrines so i'll keep exploring a bit until I get bored and then power through to the normal ending, then look up the true ending and go back to finishing BG3 and then finally getting to XB3

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lNVL-ygqw3w

hoype

cardinale
Jul 11, 2016

I'm so happy they kept Cait Sith's Scottish accent

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I want to play DQV, which version is the good one?

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

DS is incredible. still need to play the ps2 version

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

I'm playing the DS one and it's great

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut
Mobile version has a party of 4 and an accessory that makes monster catching easier so it's the clear winner.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

welcome posted:

Mobile version has a party of 4 and an accessory that makes monster catching easier so it's the clear winner.

I'm pretty sure the super famicom version is the only one with a 3 character party

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

it took me 13 straight hours to recruit a great dragon so an accessory to improve that sounds like a good idea

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Leadthumb posted:

DS if you can get it, but it's expensive, and the mobile version is equivalent if you can tolerate touch controls.

...but is it art?

welcome
Jun 28, 2002

rail slut

Evil Eagle posted:

I'm pretty sure the super famicom version is the only one with a 3 character party

You're right I just wanted to highlight it w the magnet.

Leadthumb
Mar 24, 2006

I'm playing the ds one and I love the way the enemies are animated with a mix of traditional frames and transform effects. It makes it look almost like claymation or something, it's very charming. They really put a lot of effort and love into this.

PS this post is impervious to Flames because of the flame proofer. :)

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Leadthumb posted:

I'm playing the ds one and I love the way the enemies are animated with a mix of traditional frames and transform effects. It makes it look almost like claymation or something, it's very charming. They really put a lot of effort and love into this.

Good choice. The sprites are godlike in all 3 DS remakes

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

They're probably the best looking games on the DS

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I just can't get over the weird distorted camera/perspective. It's cool and all but I find it really disorientating

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Lol. Old broken jrpg math ftw.

code:

Fire    - O-Fire, increase damage with all magic attacks
Ice     - O-Thunder, increase damage with Fire attacks only
Thunder - O-Ice, increase damage with all magic attacks
Poison  - O-Poison, increase damage with Fire attacks only

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

gloranthaheads, this poo poo came out with 0 fanfare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Ages_2:_Lights_Going_Out

we feast

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Fungah! posted:

gloranthaheads, this poo poo came out with 0 fanfare:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Six_Ages_2:_Lights_Going_Out

we feast

Still haven't played six ages 1 but this baby is on my radar for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
I beat Sea of Stars last night and people here were right, it's a fun game that drags by the end. The story was pretty basic and the characters were pretty one note but gameplay was fun, I liked the minigames and puzzles and even though the battles were repetitive, I did enjoy the spell lock system forcing you to make use of your whole party and combo skills and so on to counter different boss setups, and the game was very pretty and sounded great. I found it very funny that after 30 hours of turn-based RPG combat you have to play Galaga to beat the final boss.

I didn't collect every single thing in the game but the endgame sidequests were fun enough that by the time I did the last fight I had already done all the postgame quests except the rainbow conches, so I used a guide to collect the 15 or so that I was missing and get the second ending. Had fun, probably will never touch again, agree with the 7/10 assessments.