Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

branedotorg
Jun 19, 2009

MockingQuantum posted:

What else would you recommend for S&S comics? I have no real awareness of what's out there and I think I've been missing out, I love the Elric and Fafhrd/Grey Mouser books, and I really enjoyed a lot of the Conan stories, plus I'm reading a bunch of Clark Ashton Smith and the Zothique stuff in particular has a lot of that kind of vibe, I feel. I'd love to see that sort of stuff in comic form.
I love the dumb satire of the genre Groo the wanderer by mad magazine's Sergio aragones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

branedotorg posted:

I love the dumb satire of the genre Groo the wanderer by mad magazine's Sergio aragones

Groo is just good sword and sorcery in general. You can't parody a thing for hundreds of comics without becoming the thing

fez_machine fucked around with this message at 09:34 on Sep 14, 2023

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I always recommend gemmell for anyone looking for sword and sorcery. Especially the druss books.

Eddings has some great books but it turns out he was a horrible monster of a person, but now he's dead so there's that. Belgarath the sorcerer was my favorite of his but that book covers both of the book series he's in, so don't read it first unless you want about 10 books spoiled.

Simon Green has a nice sword and sorcery setting in the hawk series.

I loved KOTW and the sequel.

Some of the Discworld's series fits as well.

The hammer and blade series by Paul Kemp is great although the first one is kinda rapey.

As always, the caverns and creatures series by Robert Bevan is amazing. I think the stuff got uploaded to kobo? if you are looking for it. It's a litrpg but the basic idea is "what if you and your friends got teleported into a game that is contractually different than dungeons and dragons, and you all are assholes, even the dude who teleported you." There's very little actual litrpg stuff, but they do mention exp points and leveling up and skills and failed roles. Definitely a dude bro kinda read. Hilarious though.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MockingQuantum posted:

What else would you recommend for S&S comics? I have no real awareness of what's out there and I think I've been missing out, I love the Elric and Fafhrd/Grey Mouser books, and I really enjoyed a lot of the Conan stories, plus I'm reading a bunch of Clark Ashton Smith and the Zothique stuff in particular has a lot of that kind of vibe, I feel. I'd love to see that sort of stuff in comic form.

The Dark Horse Conan comics are pretty good. Some of the arcs adapt the original stories, but most of it is new stuff.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

MockingQuantum posted:

P. Craig Russell's adaptations of Elric are great. (Not really S&S, but his adaptation of Wagner's Ring Cycle is well worth checking out too.)

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

MockingQuantum posted:

Basically every Conan comic starting with the original Marvel run is good. Some of the highest hit rate of any comics property. Everything from old Marvel to new Marvel, to the Dark Horse run, to public domain based European stories (published by Titan in NA in the last few years).

Jim Zub (guy writing Conan right now) wrote Skullkickers which is a fun S&S comic.

There are Fafhrd/Grey Mouser comics by Mignola worth grabbing. Also by others, though Mignola / Chaykin are the standout.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

MockingQuantum posted:

Barbarian Lord, by Matt Smith is Norse-flavored S&S, there's a book : https://www.amazon.com/Barbarian-Lord-Matt-Smith/dp/0547859066 and some side stories online: http://matt-illustration.squarespace.com/barbarian-lord-1.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Selachian posted:

P. Craig Russell's adaptations of Elric are great.

They just came back into print, too.

Julien Blondel's recent rendition is pretty good too. Great art.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I always recommend gemmell for anyone looking for sword and sorcery. Especially the druss books.

Eddings has some great books but it turns out he was a horrible monster of a person.

Gemmell and his books are a treasure.

Eddings books I enjoyed, but the whole child goddess that just loves kisses that kept cropping up put me off him and his later books, it was just really really suspect. Belgariad and Mallorean are good, even if the author was not a good man at all. I do wonder what Polgara would think about caging adopted children.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

fez_machine posted:

Lord Dunsansy's Legends of Pagana stories is the bed rock origin of Sword and Sorcery and they still own.

Dunsany's early stuff, indeed, still owns. "The Fortress Unvanquishable Save for Sacnoth" is all of sword and sorcery in a nutshell.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Amazon
Kobo

I have a new story out! PM me for a free review copy. This one actually sold to Penumbric Speculative Literature for ten dollars, but they only buy non-exclusive rights, and the editor is fine with me publishing it before him.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Sep 14, 2023

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010
Have many here read the Elderlings/Farseer books? I loved the first book and liked the second but am having some trouble getting excited about continuing. I don't care for the wolf stuff and from my understanding the rest of the series is going to heavily revolve around the Fool - a character I'm not really interested in.

I'll probably continue with the series anyway because I like Hobb's focus on interpersonal relationships and character development. I guess I just wanted to express my reservations somewhere.

And also was wondering if anyone has recommendations for books with similar focus on character relationships preferably with good, well-written characters.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

I felt like the series was overall pretty consistent in focus and tone, I didn't really feel like the Fool took over the story or anything if that's your concern.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

Giggy posted:

Have many here read the Elderlings/Farseer books? I loved the first book and liked the second but am having some trouble getting excited about continuing. I don't care for the wolf stuff and from my understanding the rest of the series is going to heavily revolve around the Fool - a character I'm not really interested in.

I'll probably continue with the series anyway because I like Hobb's focus on interpersonal relationships and character development. I guess I just wanted to express my reservations somewhere.

And also was wondering if anyone has recommendations for books with similar focus on character relationships preferably with good, well-written characters.
I'd say you're going to get more of the same, so if you like Fitz and the world, then that continues. Nighteyes and the Fool are obviously big characters but neither completely overtakes the story for long.

I've got such a soft spot for the series and Robin Hobb in general that I might be blinkered though.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Giggy posted:

I read all of them but I don't have a photographic memory - the Fool only really exists in relation to Fitz despite being the title character for one of the trilogies.

The side trilogies in the same universe (Liveship Traders, Rain Wild Chronicles) do not feature fitz or the fool. The Solder Son trilogy is also good but not in the same universe.

I don't know another author who writes fantasy with the depth of emotion that Hobbs does. Locked Tomb series has complex characterization.

What I found draining in Hobb's books was that Fitz seemed to get the poo poo kicked out of him by life and it doesn't really let up. It's a different type of bleak than GRRM or Abercrombie grimdark. "Yes, there are people that care deeply about you, but you will be sad forever"

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

SimonChris posted:

Amazon
Kobo

I have a new story out! PM me for a free review copy. This one actually sold to Penumbric Speculative Literature for ten dollars, but they only buy non-exclusive rights, and the editor is fine with me publishing it before him.

I'm in no place to start reading something new right now but I put it on the wishlist for when that day comes. (The blurb reminds me of Richard Garfinkle's "Celestial Matters" which I thought was great, and so I've got high hopes for yours)

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Eon by Greg Bear - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00J3EU5RC/

Hammerfall (Gene Wars #1) by CJ Cherryh - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC122S/

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

fritz posted:

I'm in no place to start reading something new right now but I put it on the wishlist for when that day comes. (The blurb reminds me of Richard Garfinkle's "Celestial Matters" which I thought was great, and so I've got high hopes for yours)

drat, I just looked that up and the plot sounds extremely similar, complete with the Greek being at war with the Asians and an expedition to a celestial object to retrieve a magical substance. At least I only wrote a short story and not an entire novel.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

re-reading the gateway series by frederik pohl - still love the central idea of a asteroid full of ships which go to unknown preset destinations. the writing's pretty forward in some ways for the 1970s (pretty diverse set of characters - a japanese amputee, a prospector family from singapore etc.) and not in others (talk of calcutta, the female characters being props for the protagonist)

ScienceSeagull
May 17, 2021

Figure 1 Smart birds.

SimonChris posted:

Amazon
Kobo

Just decided to pick up the Kindle and I really liked it! I enjoy works of speculative fiction that use alternate cosmological theories, and this is one I haven't seen before. Also enjoyed your short story collection with the penguin tentacles (pentacles).

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I forgot to mention The Worm Ouroboros. There is nothing like it in the English language.* Swords, sorcery, great lords doing great things (and bickering).

It's all written in extremely Jacobean prose. Grab a sample and see if it's your thing. High adventure in elevated language.

* Okay, Gormenghast is at least its second cousin, but it isn't S&S.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I forgot to mention The Worm Ouroboros. There is nothing like it in the English language.* Swords, sorcery, great lords doing great things (and bickering).

It's all written in extremely Jacobean prose. Grab a sample and see if it's your thing. High adventure in elevated language.

It's kind of hilarious how the author starts out with a point-of-view character from our world astral projecting into the otherworld, and then after a chapter or two just loving forgets about him and never mentions him again.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Groke posted:

It's kind of hilarious how the author starts out with a point-of-view character from our world astral projecting into the otherworld, and then after a chapter or two just loving forgets about him and never mentions him again.

It's like The Night Land in that - you get 2 chapters of godawful drivel about this guy's Twu Love and then it's wham into post-solar Earth where the prologue's only important as "proof" the protagonist and his target girl have been psychically linked for aeons.

The Night Land isn't S&S though, more... L&E? (Laser pizza-cutter and Eldritch Horrors.)

Writers of that era seemed to be generally uncomfortable with the idea of starting in medias res and felt they had to explain how the story got here. Eg John Carter showing up as his honorary nephew's house to give him regular updates on the Barsoomian goss.

Runcible Cat fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Sep 15, 2023

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

MockingQuantum posted:

Dan Abnett's Red Sonja comics are quite good. The recent series does a lot with the character.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Jordan7hm posted:

Basically every Conan comic starting with the original Marvel run is good. Some of the highest hit rate of any comics property. Everything from old Marvel to new Marvel, to the Dark Horse run, to public domain based European stories (published by Titan in NA in the last few years).

Yeah I've noticed that as well. Conan just seems to be a natural fit for comics and a character who just clicks with their writers.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

That's because Conan owns and should be impossible to gently caress up. The first movie is one of the greatest films of all time.

Giggy
Jan 22, 2010

Chas McGill posted:

I'd say you're going to get more of the same, so if you like Fitz and the world, then that continues. Nighteyes and the Fool are obviously big characters but neither completely overtakes the story for long.

I've got such a soft spot for the series and Robin Hobb in general that I might be blinkered though.

This is encouraging. I was worried the books were gonna turn into Fitz, the fool and nighteyes just on their own walking everywhere. Maybe because I'm reading the part in book 3 where it's just Fitz and nighteyes.

As far as the depressing-ness of the books so far I didn't feel it was as bad as fans say (and Fitz isn't nearly as dumb so far as I heard) but again I'm only on the 3rd book. I'm aware the series remains melancholy throughout.

Is Liveship Traders good? Im looking forward to it as a break I suppose.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Runcible Cat posted:

Writers of that era seemed to be generally uncomfortable with the idea of starting in medias res and felt they had to explain how the story got here. Eg John Carter showing up as his honorary nephew's house to give him regular updates on the Barsoomian goss.

Hell, even Tolkien had a whole thing about LOTR *actually* being translated from the Red Book of Westmarch, etc.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Giggy posted:

Is Liveship Traders good? Im looking forward to it as a break I suppose.
I love the Liveship series, but it's got a different vibe. Less hanging around and watching bad things happen to Fitz, more jumping around and watching bad things happen to a dozen different people, and there's basically no royalty--which, to me at least, is a plus.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Gaius Marius posted:

That's because Conan owns and should be impossible to gently caress up. The first movie is one of the greatest films of all time.

I will never pass up an opportunity to post Conan the Musical. (Just in case someone hasn't seen it.)

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Looking for some good occult fiction, everyone recommends "The Devil Rides Out" as a classic of the genre, but it's #6 in a series and you know I like to start at the beginning. So I picked up The Prisoner in the Mask and I've read 300 pages of French political history during the Third Republic at the turn of the century. And I am loving it. No magic or curses yet tho.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Runcible Cat posted:

It's like The Night Land in that - you get 2 chapters of godawful drivel about this guy's Twu Love and then it's wham into post-solar Earth where the prologue's only important as "proof" the protagonist and his target girl have been psychically linked for aeons.

The Night Land isn't S&S though, more... L&E? (Laser pizza-cutter and Eldritch Horrors.)

Don't worry, it goes back to twu love (and domestic abuse) once he finds her again

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Groke posted:

Hell, even Tolkien had a whole thing about LOTR *actually* being translated from the Red Book of Westmarch, etc.
It had multiple authors, too. Bilba, Maura, Ban did a bit...

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Groke posted:

His early drafts of the Silmarillion even had it as stories Elves were telling a shipwrecked mariner...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Shipwrecked mariner like "I don't understand what is going on. So all Calquendi are Noldor, but not all Noldor are Calquendi. "

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins
Robert Bevan’s kindle direct account was reinstated, if anyone is interested in vulgar and juvenile isekai/LitRPG stories like I am.

Trampus
Sep 28, 2001

It's too damn hot for a penguin to be just walkin' around here.

Phanatic posted:

I just finished American Elsewhere by Robert Jackson Bennett and loved it, that mix of otherwordly sci-fi and existential horror is definitely my jam. Similarly I've dug what I've read by qntm (although he could seriously use an editor). Any recommendations for stuff that'll scratch the same itch?

Also check out The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Groke posted:

Absolutely hilarious. Very Shakespearean! (looks pointedly at The Taming of the Shrew)

Gaius Marius posted:

Cosigned. It could so easily have been camp, but everybody involved takes the material straight-up seriously. And it is, hands-down, the best adventure movie score of all time. For decades afterward it was poached for film trailers. It's one of the two soundtracks I listen to for fun, the other being Master and Commander.

Nghi Lo's latest, Mammoths at the Gates, came out, and although I don't like it quite as much as the first three, there's still a lot to admire, and Vo's prose continues amazing. I think it's because I don't find the central mystery as compelling. If you haven't read Vo, the central characters of these novels are Chih, a cleric of the Singing Hills, an order that collects stories, and their companion Almost Brilliant, another member of the order who has an eidetic memory and is a neixin, something like* a bird. In each of the books, Chih tells and is told stories, and in the process reveals a hidden truth.

In The Empress of Salt and Fortune, the title empress has just died, and Chih goes to visit Thriving Fortune, an old house that has just been declassified because of her death. It turns out to have been the Empress's summer house, and the caretaker asks Chih's help in doing the final inventory. Chih does help, and listens to the stories the caretaker tells about the objects they find. In the process, they learn about the caretaker, and about the Empress, and about hidden secrets.

Here's a passage from Into The Riverlands, the second book.

quote:

They called her Wild Pig Yi because she grew up wrestling wild pigs for fun. When she was a baby, her father quarreled with her mother, and to hurt her, he took Yi and abandoned her in the forest, assuming she'd be little more than a mouthful for some passing pig.

Her family thought she was dead for five years, and then on the sixth, she came back dressed in a pigskin with a lance made from a whole pine tree and a fat sow thrown over her shoulder.

She gave the sow to her mother to roast for her return dinner, and with her lance, she drove her father into the mountains to see if he would do better on the mountain than a baby. He didn't, and he was eaten, and for a while Wild Pig Yi lived with her mother and her mother's family in Chifeng.

Vo is Vietnamese-American, and the world of the Empress of Salt and Fortune novellas is a fantasy pre-industrial Vietnam. It's a great deal of fun for somebody who grew up immersed in European fantasy to see something new.

* it's way more complicated than that.

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.

Runcible Cat posted:

Maybe it's because I read the 'modernized' version of The Night Land by James Stoddard, but I really loved prologue and framing device. Post-solar humanity is resigned to just sit around waiting for the magical light nobody understands to finally wink out and for them to all die. Even the greatest of scientists have forgotten their own history and now spend their days measuring the precise angle of an eldritch horror's nose and how it changes over the centuries

the problems faced by the protagonist in the prologue are so small and silly compared to the literal end of the world, but that deep, personal and human pain - and the shred of a hope for a 2nd chance - is precisely what drives him to shake up the status quo and go off on his insane adventure

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Trampus posted:

Also check out The Hollow Places by T. Kingfisher.
Seconding this, it is extremely good.