Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

called it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

good ch

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Read up to Little Garden

What Mr. 3 tried to do to Nami, Zoro, and Vivi was horrifying.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oda has always impressed me with his ability to infuse his series with a sense of childlike wonder, while also filling the series with bad guys that do some really hosed up poo poo to people

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

did.... did they change the name of Raftel because someone on the translation team pointed out that's in really bad taste?

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

whats bad taste about it

kneelbeforezog
Nov 13, 2019

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

whats bad taste about it

my guess its the chinese stereotype of saying l's as r's

laughtale becomes rafttale

like me so ronery stated as me so lonely

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

sure but saying that's in bad taste is assuming that they knew it was supposed to be laugh tale and translated it incorrectly on purpose? otherwise it's just a mistake. we just had this recently with the Mother Flame/Frame where the official translation just took a stab and assume it was Frame and then had to correct it to Flame later.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
It was always Laugh Tale, it was just never actually spelled out with the Latin alphabet until Stampede, so people just went with Raftel as an assumed translation until then, like Rufy.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

No one, not even in Japan, thought that "Raftel" worked out to "Laugh Tale" until we were told it did.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Oda probably always meant it to be Laugh Tale, but Oda is not the best at English andラフテル (Ra - Hu - Te - Ru) sounds like Laugh Tell, at best. Which makes no sense at all, so I get why the English localizers thought it was Raftel for years and years.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Again I ask, is there no mechanism for the translators to just get an answer from the author? To say "here's two translations with their respective definitions, which one did you mean"?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Oda didn't want to spoil the adventure

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sometimes even Oda doesn't know how to render something in English.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Again I ask, is there no mechanism for the translators to just get an answer from the author? To say "here's two translations with their respective definitions, which one did you mean"?

The funnier version of this is when a character's colorscheme isn't known until a volume comes out with them on it, like how Law has blue hair in the manga but not the anime or Ace had like 3 different hat colors.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Ryaomon posted:

The funnier version of this is when a character's colorscheme isn't known until a volume comes out with them on it, like how Law has blue hair in the manga but not the anime or Ace had like 3 different hat colors.

Kuma was bright orange until the anime happened.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
they should put ba d. dog in the live action show

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ryaomon posted:

Also Robin losing most of her melanin.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

kneelbeforezog posted:

my guess its the chinese stereotype of saying l's as r's

laughtale becomes rafttale

like me so ronery stated as me so lonely

Japan also has issues with L and R. Like it’s not a stereotype, it’s an actual thing with translating the language.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don’t trust the Hiking Bear

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

MonsterEnvy posted:

Japan also has issues with L and R. Like it’s not a stereotype, it’s an actual thing with translating the language.

And vice versa with English native speakers and the Japanese equivalent to "R". It's just not the same sound even though its similiar and so its difficult to pronounce it if you aren't a native speaker.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Ryaomon posted:

the answer is always "pinker than you expected"

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nodosaur posted:

I don’t trust the Hiking Bear

:mods:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I refuse to bow to him

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Nooooo the Lapins! Wapol you monster!

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Im curious if there were any early efforts in the Live Action production to test out makeup like giving Sanji his curly eyebrows or Usopp a long nose.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think they did yeah, and they just looked too silly for characters who are supposed to sell actual emotional beats.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Also actors hate facial prosthetics like Usopp's nose would require and productions avoid them like the plague.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Im curious if there were any early efforts in the Live Action production to test out makeup like giving Sanji his curly eyebrows or Usopp a long nose.

Live actions watchers will never experience the joy of realizing that Sanji has eyebrows that go in different directions (or I guess technically the same direction?) and then going back and confirming it on the den den mushi that he used 500 chapters earlier

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I have no idea how the live action is gonna handle Wapol’s everything

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Guy A. Person posted:

Live actions watchers will never experience the joy of realizing that Sanji has eyebrows that go in different directions (or I guess technically the same direction?) and then going back and confirming it on the den den mushi that he used 500 chapters earlier

Sanji implicitly covering up one of his eyes with his haircut because both dart-brows swirling in the same direction looks too goofy is one of my top ten understated bits.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Nodosaur posted:

All great eaters call out their finishing bites.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i was thinking about that the other day the the eyebrow gag isn't worth it in live action because they're not gonna reasonably be able to keep the one eye covered.

they can, however, keep them on sanji's wanted poster

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Nodosaur posted:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/playful_cl0ud/status/1703124464718721350?s=20

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The anime this week

Is good

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So what are some of the better movies?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Everything labeled as "One Piece Film" (Strong World forward) and maybe Baron Omatsuri if you're interested in seeing an early Mamoru Hosoda work.

Everything else can be ignored.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Baron Omatsuri seconding due to dope rear end director doing lifting