Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SithDrummer
Jun 8, 2005
Hi Rocky!
First Pass: collect all the black pieces
Second Pass: collect all the gray pieces
Third Pass: collect...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Flyinglemur posted:

YOU THINK YOU'RE SOOOOOO SMART DON'T YOU?

Well you are. :) The supports are just temporary until I can figure out a solution, probably with technic bricks. Working on that now. Seriously, thanks again Carbs and Dogen and everyone else

This shape around a technic frame is going to make one badass (and sturdy) build imo.

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
I wonder how many techniques from the Saturn V could be applied to that submarine.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I built the castle.

It's a great build, start to finish. Constantly interesting. Looks great, too.

One of the GOATs.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

w00tazn posted:

I wonder how many techniques from the Saturn V could be applied to that submarine.

Probably all of them. Wish I had a Saturn v lol

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
From the PYF gif thread...

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Flyinglemur posted:

That M3 is a beautiful car, can't wait.

I hope the unnamed cat is the James Bond Lotus, the white one that turned into a sub :)

That is rumoured but it wouldn't be in this wave.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

There's a nice Lotus build for the Countach. An official one would rule, especially if it transformed.

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-115846/ilyabuilder724/76908-lotus-esprit/#details

Junkenstein posted:

Bought a second Countach so that I could build this Lotus. Will try to turn it into a submarine at some point.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?
I was assuming by "unrevealed new car" they meant a car that hasn't been revealed IRL yet, like when they made the McLaren 720S - it was being developed as a LEGO set before the real car had been announced.

Finally got the last pieces in that I needed to finish this:

No interior, since it's just meant to be used in our LUG City displays. It splits in half right in the middle, held together by just 4 Technic pins, for easy transportation.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Carbohydrates posted:

I was assuming by "unrevealed new car" they meant a car that hasn't been revealed IRL yet, like when they made the McLaren 720S - it was being developed as a LEGO set before the real car had been announced.

No interior, since it's just meant to be used in our LUG City displays. It splits in half right in the middle, held together by just 4 Technic pins, for easy transportation.

I'm pretty sure this garage fixed the AC in my Buick Century. He didn't do it well, but it was cheap

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

deoju posted:

From the PYF gif thread...

That's awesome

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Carbohydrates posted:

It’s the small details that make yours sets amazing. Like the inclusion of the crowbar by the open ladder cage to really drive home the reason why it is slightly open. Or the Amazon box mixed in with the pile of boxes.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Orvin posted:

It’s the small details that make yours sets amazing. Like the inclusion of the crowbar by the open ladder cage to really drive home the reason why it is slightly open. Or the Amazon box mixed in with the pile of boxes.

Agreed. The attention to detail is fantastic

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

Orvin posted:

Thanks! You know I love doing furniture and interior details and stuff like that so, if I can't do an interior (because this model is purely for LUG shows and any sort of interior wouldn't even be accessible), I'm at least gonna try to sneak some of that stuff outside.

Also: DUMB LEGO NERD FACE REVEAL?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxN-H0PNggt/

They did some extra promo stuff for some of us for the Pop-Up Store. I got to do a li'l interview!

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
That's really cool! Although I think your model would be better served if it was in a ridiculous upscale minimalist apartment. I mean, is it even a LEGO model if it isn't surrounded by the dumbest things from IKEA?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I love dark green, I love garages, and I almost never open up all the modulars we have anyway. Plus I do them on MILS plates anyway so that's perfect. Now where do I get a million dark green mortar 1x2's at LUG prices without being in one?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
The venator has stickers!? Booo

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?

davebo posted:

I love dark green, I love garages, and I almost never open up all the modulars we have anyway. Plus I do them on MILS plates anyway so that's perfect. Now where do I get a million dark green mortar 1x2's at LUG prices without being in one?
I would not be thrilled to pay market price for them! You'd need a bit over 800 of them. I also got the dark green 1 x 2 plates, the light and dark gray 1 x 2 and 2 x 2 tiles, the baseplates, the Technic bricks, many of the various light and dark gray basic bricks, and the 16 x 16 plates through lugbulk. The build was largely planned around it to keep costs down.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Carbohydrates posted:

Not enough graffiti / dog poo.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Carbohydrates posted:

I would not be thrilled to pay market price for them! You'd need a bit over 800 of them. I also got the dark green 1 x 2 plates, the light and dark gray 1 x 2 and 2 x 2 tiles, the baseplates, the Technic bricks, many of the various light and dark gray basic bricks, and the 16 x 16 plates through lugbulk. The build was largely planned around it to keep costs down.

Is there a good resource out there for the mils system?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Slowly getting through my set backlog (prioritizing the sub-1000 brick builds first) and built the ISS after work today. Wow, what a super-fragile, sublimely repetitive build. Props to the builders, though - I definitely saw how the thing could be broken down for moving, but they're sure putting a lot of long-term faith in those bar holders.

There's no way they don't have a fuckoff huge Saturn/Shuttle-sized ISS set planned for when they eventually deorbit the thing.

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well WickedBrick lied again. The replacement sides were supposed to be here tomorrow.

They got here today. Lol. Get outta here with two and a half months shipping

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Flyinglemur posted:

They got here today. Lol. Get outta here with two and a half months shipping

I’m not entirely convinced that their “company” isn’t some guy stealing plastic at his plastic sheet making job and Wicked Brick is their side hustle.

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Carbohydrates posted:

Thanks! You know I love doing furniture and interior details and stuff like that so, if I can't do an interior (because this model is purely for LUG shows and any sort of interior wouldn't even be accessible), I'm at least gonna try to sneak some of that stuff outside.

Also: DUMB LEGO NERD FACE REVEAL?

https://www.instagram.com/p/CxN-H0PNggt/

They did some extra promo stuff for some of us for the Pop-Up Store. I got to do a li'l interview!

Neat. I do miss the streams, but i know it's extremely time consuming.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I built the Great Wave.

The frame took like 30 mins because it was so repetitive. The artwork sucked the first few bags, but once the basic picture was there it was pretty cool watching it come together.

The completed set is fantastic. From 10 feet or so back it does a great job of replicating the original.

I recommend the set wholeheartedly. Worth full price.

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

Oh yeah, I've been meaning to thank you for your PoBB hype posts. Set fuckin' slaps hard. I would have easily forgotten about it without you, and other folks, consistently talking about the set's outstanding quality. Thanks!

E: The Indiana Jones Temple of the Golden Idol's boulder function has to be one of the coolest and most satisfying mechanics that I've seen in a set.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

white-hot take: PoBB is great, but I liked building Eldorado more. Feels a lot more "modern", with less bespoke/large pieces, and all the hidden thingies make it cool while PoBB is very "front loaded", there's not much to discover or gawk at that's not in plain view - and weirdly at the same time it seems some parts (the interiors) are almost hidden away and are hard to see/get to. I didn't notice any especially groundbreaking building techniques in either of them, but I'm no expert on that so I might be absolutely wrong here.

The "small size" of Eldorado might be disappointing to someone, but if you display it all "open" it gets as wide as Barracuda bay only without the towering slanted masts and sails (Eldorado's WAY easier to display if you have limited space too) - and it's a lot more interactive, better for play while still being a decent display thanks to its modular nature. The palms in Eldorado are quite lovely though. The old palm trees made of interlocking cones were a lot better and they didn't even bother making the palm leaves/fronds nicer like they did in PoBB.

(Don't get me wrong, PoBB is awesome. I just think Eldorado is about on the same level while people seem to kinda hate it)

I still think the best build I did by far is the Lion Knights' Castle, that's drat expensive but it was a joy from start to finish, some building techniques there left me :aaaaa: and the end result is downright spectacular to me. Can't find any flaws in it, really.

TorakFade fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Sep 19, 2023

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

Lukewarm take: PoBB gives me more of the good brain chemicals to look at because it is bigger and more impressive

Eldorado has the boat and crane to mess around with though, and I like how modular it is

Lion Knights Castle is the complete package however, if I had to recommend one single set to an aging millennial leaving their dark age it would be that or galaxy explorer

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

Thankfully buying El Dorado was one of the other main pushes for me to get PoBB. I went with building PoBB first, it just felt like the right way to do things. El Dorado is up next and I'm darn stoked to finally have a spot on one of my new shelves for both of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Beasteh posted:

Lukewarm take: PoBB gives me more of the good brain chemicals to look at because it is bigger and more impressive

Eldorado has the boat and crane to mess around with though, and I like how modular it is

Lion Knights Castle is the complete package however, if I had to recommend one single set to an aging millennial leaving their dark age it would be that or galaxy explorer

I just pulled Lion Knights out a couple weeks ago and finally did it. Definitely a GOAT set. Absolute joy to build from start to finish. The portcullis mechanism is a treat. I'd put it right up there w/ PoBB, but in a slightly different way.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Beasteh posted:

Yeah Lion Knight really is the goat I wish I could take it apart and rebuild it over and over

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

bird with big dick posted:

Yeah Lion Knight really is the goat I wish I could take it apart and rebuild it over and over

One day this technology will be within our grasp.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

Lizard Combatant posted:

One day this technology will be within our grasp.

If these guys got in some big sets I'd probably move to Sheffield

https://buildersbrewcafe.com/

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Junkenstein posted:

If these guys got in some big sets I'd probably move to Sheffield

https://buildersbrewcafe.com/

oh hey I live in Sheffield, I should go along and do a trip report sometime

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

$4/hr to Lego sounds awesome, but I'm surprised that math works. The labor to fully disassemble and clean (food served on site and children...) sets between people has to add up. And the sets themselves are going to have a limited lifetime if they're being rebuilt and washed (probably in a dishwasher? that's going to be rough), piece replacement costs are going to add up.

Normally bar/restaurant toys are barely more than a throwaway expense to get people in for the higher margin stuff like alcohol, which they don't serve. I do hope I'm way off and this becomes a widespread thing.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Sep 20, 2023

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6LhK0wTemE Lego's doing a collaboration design contest with Lo-Fi Girl, aka Lo-Fi Beats To Relax/Study To.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Savvy?
2023 Ford Bronco! This one's deceptively complex because of the ride height. Putting a Technic brick right under these mudguards makes the car sit too low to convincingly be a 4x4. Putting a plate in between makes it way too high and the gap between the wheels and mudguards looks odd. So, I did some silly bullshit to get a 1/2 plate lift.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

$4/hr to Lego sounds awesome, but I'm surprised that math works. The labor to fully disassemble and clean (food served on site and children...) sets between people has to add up. And the sets themselves are going to have a limited lifetime if they're being rebuilt and washed (probably in a dishwasher? that's going to be rough), piece replacement costs are going to add up.

Normally bar/restaurant toys are barely more than a throwaway expense to get people in for the higher margin stuff like alcohol, which they don't serve. I do hope I'm way off and this becomes a widespread thing.

I wondered about this too, I can think of a few possibilities that would keep costs down but no idea if they apply here. They may well get the sets ultra cheap if they have a direct deal with LEGO, as I expect this kind of thing really drives sales to kids and AFOL alike. I don't know what rent is like but i do know Sheffield city centre currently has a bunch of vacant stores, particularly down the end where the cafe is, so perhaps they get a good deal from the council/landlord as a flagship business that brings people in. As for breaking down and cleaning, hospitality often has a massive lull between the lunch and dinner rush where as least some staff are just sat twiddling their thumbs, and most restaurants have an ultra fast pot wash machine that cleans dishes in about 2 minutes, this would clean and sanitize without being as harsh on the bricks as an overnight home dishwasher. So I could see breakdown and sorting having less of a marginal cost than it might seem

Or maybe it's a doomed startup which will bankrupt it's owners. I am hopeful, Sheffield as a city seems to.be able to support novelty cafe businesses quite effectively, we have a roaringly successful boardgame cafe, a videogame.cafe, at least one cat cafe and probably more I'm not even aware of, so conceptually it's not too out there to have a LEGO cafe too

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Sep 20, 2023

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I'm really skeptical that will be a sustainable business model, but I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Hey Carbs, I just saw this on reddit and thought it was one of yours at first.

Nice Bronco BTW.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

Carbohydrates posted:

2023 Ford Bronco! This one's deceptively complex because of the ride height. Putting a Technic brick right under these mudguards makes the car sit too low to convincingly be a 4x4. Putting a plate in between makes it way too high and the gap between the wheels and mudguards looks odd. So, I did some silly bullshit to get a 1/2 plate lift.

This is great. Thank you for using the correct number of doors, ha.