Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I've been meaning to say this for a bit, but we should probably work out what this thread's stance is on spoilers and book chat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Jerusalem posted:

I'm definitely hoping we see Loguetown (again!) in season 2, there's some great stuff in there: Zoro meeting Tashigi and testing his luck against a cursed sword, Smoker having a :stare: moment when he sees Luffy laugh in the face of death, the man in the green hood, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

Re: Loguetown: I hope Tashigi fairs better in the live action. I finished Loguetown in my re-read and I hate that she's there to feel pathetic and make Zoro feel guilty and we never actually see her be good with a sword beyond disarming two randos.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
My understanding is that Season 1 was supposed to be 10 episodes, but Covid and Budget cut the count. I wouldn't be surprised if Season 2 gets 10 episodes or more. Giving each season different numbers of episodes makes the most sense, and works with the varying level of budget needed for different sets and locations.

Ideally, they shuffle around events that can be shuffled so that the story is more evenly spread out. Like, the 3rd arc of the Saga has barely an episode of plot but needs to cram almost every plot point there into the episode. Spreading out some of the main villain and Marine plots from the packed final arc into the others would make the most sense.

For instance spreading the set up for the rise of the Revolution, the important executive meeting, and general plot points about how Crocodile is making Alabasta a failed state as break in segments to Little Garden and Whiskey Peak would help flesh those out. Meanwhile you move the entire Ace plot and the first run in with Smoker in Alabasta to Drum Island. Because lord knows Wapol isn't providing any tension to an arc that is essentially just trying to get Chopper to join while Nami has a fever. Also have Smoker meet with Garp and talk about Baroque Works in the Loguetown arc. Doing that could get you something like
1 Episode of Loguetown ending with Reverse Mountain
2 Episodes of Laboon/Whiskey Peak
2 Episodes Little Garden
2 Episodes Drum Island
3 Episodes Alabast

Edit: For extra style points load up Loguetown and Whiskey Peak with news about how awesome Crocodile is at stopping pirates and saving children. That way Vivi's reveal hits a little harder.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 18, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Alabasta arc is almost tailor-made to be a season of a Netflix show, a bunch of different adventures that have the machinations of a recurring overall antagonist group in the background that you can cut to for intrigue

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 14:42 on Sep 18, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yeah and you also have some marines chasing the straw hats and interacting with the antagonists so you don't have to make up a b-plot this time.

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.

Gyges posted:

For instance spreading the set up for the rise of the Revolution, the important executive meeting, and general plot points about how Crocodile is making Alabasta a failed state as break in segments to Little Garden and Whiskey Peak would help flesh those out. Meanwhile you move the entire Ace plot and the first run in with Smoker in Alabasta to Drum Island. Because lord knows Wapol isn't providing any tension to an arc that is essentially just trying to get Chopper to join while Nami has a fever. Also have Smoker meet with Garp and talk about Baroque Works in the Loguetown arc. Doing that could get you something like
1 Episode of Loguetown ending with Reverse Mountain
2 Episodes of Laboon/Whiskey Peak
2 Episodes Little Garden
2 Episodes Drum Island
3 Episodes Alabast

Edit: For extra style points load up Loguetown and Whiskey Peak with news about how awesome Crocodile is at stopping pirates and saving children. That way Vivi's reveal hits a little harder.

Looking at this makes me think that Drum Island should be moved to right after Reverse Mountain or Laboon. That way Chopper gets longer to establish himself as a character in season 2 and Whiskey Peak through Alabasta can be a mostly uninterrupted Baroque Works story

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Captain Invictus posted:

So, season 2. what do folks think they'll cut, and what will they get to? I am really curious if they can cover all of Alabasta in another 8-episode season like the first one. All of Drum Island would probably be 2 episodes on its own, right? Other than that, you've got Loguetown to still cover from East Blue, then Reverse Mountain, Whiskey Peak, Little Garden, and Alabasta itself, encompassing 122 chapters total. Would it go Loguetown 1 episode, Reverse Mountain + Whiskey Peak 1 episode, Little Garden 1 episode, Drum Island 2 episodes, Alabasta 3 episodes? I could see that possibly working. There's a lot to cover in Alabasta though, and I really wouldn't want them to cut out basically any of the fights, they're all so good.

I really, really don't want them to, but I think they might cut Little Garden entirely. It's got some fairly important parts to it but it'd be one of those financial nightmares considering everything involved with it would require a lot of special effects.

Loguetown remains an annoying wrinkle in how they pace things out. 8 episodes? 9 episodes? If they get stuck with 8, I could see them picking up in medias res with Luffy on the execution platform. Basically spend 20 minutes and then get out of there to Reverse Mountain and introducing Laboon. Next episode concludes Laboon and goes to Little Garden. Next two are Drum, then the last 3/4 to Alabasta.

FWIW Episode of Chopper, which throws in some later crew members, runs 113 with credits and Episode of Alabasta is 90 minutes. So Drum getting into two episodes can fit with some tweaks, and Alabasta basically doubling that to 170 minutes for three episodes should be okay.

The good thing about the season, would be that you aren't setting up new villains each time necessarily Aside from Wapol. Only really need to focus on 5(ish) BW agents? Croc, Robin, Mr. 1, 2 and 3? The rest of the agents can be more bit roles ala Kuroobi and Chu in season 1. You also can start building the villains throughout the season in various ways, with the more important BW agents directing the lower ranks.

One of my early hopes for the series was that we would get some type of cover story-esque minisodes in some form. Having like 5 four minute shorts setting up the main BW pairs would be a fun tease going in to the season. They would just use the existing sets to save budget. Issue would probably be Netflix not wanting to pay out residuals due to a hopefully better negotiated SAG contract.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Teek posted:

The good thing about the season, would be that you aren't setting up new villains each time necessarily Aside from Wapol. Only really need to focus on 5(ish) BW agents? Croc, Robin, Mr. 1, 2 and 3? The rest of the agents can be more bit roles ala Kuroobi and Chu in season 1. You also can start building the villains throughout the season in various ways, with the more important BW agents directing the lower ranks.

Getting to see Mr. 2 Bon Clay, master of Oh Come My Way, in live action. :allears:

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Teek posted:

One of my early hopes for the series was that we would get some type of cover story-esque minisodes in some form. Having like 5 four minute shorts setting up the main BW pairs would be a fun tease going in to the season. They would just use the existing sets to save budget. Issue would probably be Netflix not wanting to pay out residuals due to a hopefully better negotiated SAG contract.

Netflix does bonus eps for shows sometimes so I can see doing something with those between seasons. Cant believe they actually managed to squeeze in the cat dream story in Sandman.

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Loguetown is cool and although it's short it's important enough to justify a whole episode.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

If we have to stick to 8 episodes I'd say it goes something like:

Episode 1: Loguetown
Episode 2: Reverse Mountain + Whiskey Peak
Episode 3: Little Garden
Episodes 4-5: Drum Island
Episodes 6-8: Alabaster

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Loguetown is cool and although it's short it's important enough to justify a whole episode.
Yeah agreed. You can expand it fairly easily since you can logically add scenes for the other straw hats (like the anime did) and use it to introduce the marine B plot for the season.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
forget alabasta, drum island is the one they cannot gently caress up

”when do you suppose a man dies?”

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

Dawgstar posted:

Getting to see Mr. 2 Bon Clay, master of Oh Come My Way, in live action. :allears:

Gonna be real interesting to see how they handle all of that. Badass drag queen maybe? Similar character but having that part not played for laughs at him, but instead with him?

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Oxxidation posted:

forget alabasta, drum island is the one they cannot gently caress up

”when do you suppose a man dies?”

Jamie Lee Curtis better get what she wants

MMania
May 7, 2008
They cracked the code, so happy to finally see a live action adaptation of an animated show that leverages the strengths of its medium. Although apparently the Ruroni Kenshin movies are pretty good? So nice enjoying a lot of stuff I don't remember fondly from the beginning of OP (it gets better after chapter 50!), and I agree with everyone calling out later arcs which they basically have to try to mess up.

The One Piece is real!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They should just do four seasons and find some kind of an ending to whole thing because there’s no way they’re getting 12 seasons.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the series’ spectacle would really quickly outstrip even the most extravagant budgets regardless. even basic scenes’ framing would start getting difficult to adapt when half the characters in any given scene are originally 12 feet tall

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

Irony Be My Shield posted:

If we have to stick to 8 episodes I'd say it goes something like:

Episode 1: Loguetown
Episode 2: Reverse Mountain + Whiskey Peak
Episode 3: Little Garden
Episodes 4-5: Drum Island
Episodes 6-8: Alabaster

Yeah agreed. You can expand it fairly easily since you can logically add scenes for the other straw hats (like the anime did) and use it to introduce the marine B plot for the season.

Yeah I don't mind compressing Little Garden quite a bit. I don't need to see Zoro hunting dinosaurs for sport or getting covered in wax. They need to introduce the giants and maybe show a dinosaur or two and continue the baroque works story. Don't spend any more time or money on it, save it for Chopper

TengenNewsEditor fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Sep 18, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

CelticPredator posted:

They should just do four seasons and find some kind of an ending to whole thing because there’s no way they’re getting 12 seasons.
IDK I'd rather they just stayed fairly faithful to the manga even if that means it's almost impossible for them to finish. Better 4 good seasons forming an incomplete story than a bad original ending.

e:

TengenNewsEditor posted:

Yeah I don't mind compressing Little Garden quite a bit. I don't need to see Zoro hunting dinosaurs for sport or getting covered in wax. They need to introduce the giants and maybe show a dinosaur or two and continue the baroque works story. Don't spend any more time or money on it, save it for Chopper
Yeah part of the logic is there's no way they can afford to do two episodes of Little Garden. Heck I'm not sure they can afford to do one episode of Little Garden

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

I think they could get away with Alabasta being an entire season, possibly season 3. It's so dense and deserves the world. The Alabasta recap movie shows that if you compress the arc too much you lose a ton of what makes it special so I'd love to see them take their time with it.

to be fair, that movie was like 90 minutes and it would probably have at least 4 times that in the live action, still yeah

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah part of the logic is there's no way they can afford to do two episodes of Little Garden. Heck I'm not sure they can afford to do one episode of Little Garden

Just imagine Marineford.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

If you do Little Garden, you have to have Zoro deciding he has to cut his legs off // deciding to die in a heroic pose. One of the most memorable gags of the series.

HPanda posted:

Gonna be real interesting to see how they handle all of that. Badass drag queen maybe? Similar character but having that part not played for laughs at him, but instead with him?

While the series definitely has stepped in it with presenting these folk, Mr.2 feels like one of the safer ones. He looks silly, but if memory serves he's befriends and is dancing with the crew in mere panels after his intro. & thereafter he's almost entirely presented as a badass, going toe to toe with his ability to kick against Sanji.

It'd probably cause more of a controversy if they cut him or toned down his outfits or personality.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

CatstropheWaitress posted:

If you do Little Garden, you have to have Zoro deciding he has to cut his legs off // deciding to die in a heroic pose. One of the most memorable gags of the series.

While the series definitely has stepped in it with presenting these folk, Mr.2 feels like one of the safer ones. He looks silly, but if memory serves he's befriends and is dancing with the crew in mere panels after his intro. & thereafter he's almost entirely presented as a badass, going toe to toe with his ability to kick against Sanji.

It'd probably cause more of a controversy if they cut him or toned down his outfits or personality.

Later arc stuff but despite some undeniable missteps I find the Newkama themselves, especially Newkama Land, to be empowering as gently caress. I think it'll take a delicate hand but I will run riot if they tone down Bon Clay or Ivankov at all. Their overt queerness and camp should absolutely be leaned into, and while the Sanji timeskip stuff completely sucks I trust the creators to take much more from the things Oda has learned and done well and find a good balance. I'm kind to OP because it feels like any misstep is born of ignorance over malice. And overall I agree about Mr. 2 - a fan favorite and yeah he's immediately taken to by the crew and only gets more badass as the series goes on.

It'll be interesting to see unfold but I have hope.

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

I guess more Impel Down Bon Clay instead of Alabasta Bon Clay. Instead of being portrayed as funny and silly because he acts a certain way and immediately gels with the crew (to contrast against the very real danger he represents to the Straw Hats), just starting off with it being him as a complete badass fatale awesome person who also has a silly side who immediately gels with the crew and oh no he’s on the villain side.

I dunno, hard to explain the difference other than there’s a very real shift in the way Oda portrays him over time, then another further shift in how Oda shows trans people (with the last arc in the manga having two trans characters and everyone just accepting them accordingly as their actual genders, no play for laughs at all that I can recall). Granted, there’s a LOT of not great portrayals in the interim that are played for laughs

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

With regards to gender nonconforming characters: It's all about how they're received by our protagonists. Bon Clay is instantly embraced as a cool awesome fun person. Much later in the story when you have Sanji reacting in a much less accepting way, that's much more hosed up. The characters throughout are themselves awesome.

The only "fix" you need is to not have Sanji be an rear end in a top hat. Or have him be an rear end in a top hat about something else, like nitpicking their cooking or something. Everything else about the depiction of over the top nonconforming people is cool and good.

I think Oda has played up how unattractive these characters are, and that's kind of uncomfortable, but outside of the thing with Sanji that doesn't keep these characters from being presented as really fun awesome people, and I doubt the live action would lean into that.

I'm honestly really looking forward to Mr. 2 in live action, which is something I never would have imagined before I saw how fantastic this adaptation was. They're going to have a different vibe than the manga- whatever the actor brings to the part will become part of the character, but the casting has been so spot on at finding enthusiastic fun people so far that I'm actually looking forward to what they pull off.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Continuing OP breaking gender norms God knows I'd want them to call Yamato 'he' in live action and have people's brains explode yelling about 'BUT THE VIVRE CARD.'

TengenNewsEditor
Apr 3, 2004

We have a few examples already and each time the LA has sidestepped it appropriately:

Sham: rewritten as a woman
Pearl: skipped
Chew: no longer androgynous in appearance

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Eiba posted:

The only "fix" you need is to not have Sanji be an rear end in a top hat. Or have him be an rear end in a top hat about something else, like nitpicking their cooking or something.

"OREGANO IS FOR SAVAGES!!!"

Nikumatic
Feb 13, 2012

a fantastic machine made of meat

Alacron posted:

"Eight genders? Oh, some of them must be doubles."

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
It's been mentioned in the One Piece manga thread but (general manga events) you would honestly fix, like, half the issue just by making the okama not look like the Titans from Attack on Titan.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

CelticPredator posted:

If they get through 6 seasons, you end with a cyclical hyping of The One Piece and a fairly satisfying "The Strawhat Crew will return next time in One Piece: New World".

Alacron posted:

Having the Sanji's story revolve around accepting Oregano as valid does seem good and fine.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.

Gyges posted:

If they get through 6 seasons, you end with a cyclical hyping of The One Piece and a fairly satisfying "The Strawhat Crew will return next time in One Piece: New World.

A timeskip also gives a recast path for any actors who choose not to continue. Assuming the series kicks it into a higher gear revenue wise for Netflix and continues on. Of the crew, two will never change (Chopper and Brook) and one could have an easy recast with rebuilt Franky. Of course as you go, you’re really just focusing on holding on to the OGs, since they will have been there longest.

Inaki seems like he might do the long haul provided they keep paying him well. If they make it four seasons, he and Luffy will be inextricably linked for the rest of his career.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

drat tough spot making Ussops intro the first two parter.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

I did have a friend note that she was enjoying One Piece, but was really annoyed with Oda's continuation and emphasis of a manga tradition of women turning into hags once they turn 50 or so. Wasn't something I'd clocked as much as how ridiculous he draws the female strawhats or the Okama folk, but it's certainly there.

LA doesn't have to really worry about that, at least.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

CelticPredator posted:

if it's owned by the studio and not Netflix, I no longer think it is doomed to only be 1 or 2 seasons. If they can shop it around to potential buyers with the pedigree it has from just the first season, then I'm thinking it can get at least five seasons.

I did have a friend note that she was enjoying One Piece, but was really annoyed with Oda's continuation and emphasis of a manga tradition of women turning into hags once they turn 50 or so. Wasn't something I'd clocked as much as how ridiculous he draws the female strawhats or the Okama folk, but it's certainly there.

LA doesn't have to really worry about that, at least.
everyone except for Dr kureha

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I feel like some of the most heavily-reworked portions are gonna be Little Garden and Whiskey Peak. Little Garden has a lot of nice stuff but the most important thing there is really the giants and Nami getting sick which forces them to seek out Drum Island. Whiskey Peak is mostly Zoro killing ALL THOSE PEOPLE and revealing Vivi's identity, along with her allies within Baroque Works get getting hurt. I could see that getting a lot of work depending on how they end up going with Baroque Works, the episode order, and the general flow of the season.

Oh wait, did Little Garden also have "Mr Prince?"

HPanda
Sep 5, 2008

I Am Fowl posted:

I feel like some of the most heavily-reworked portions are gonna be Little Garden and Whiskey Peak. Little Garden has a lot of nice stuff but the most important thing there is really the giants and Nami getting sick which forces them to seek out Drum Island. Whiskey Peak is mostly Zoro killing ALL THOSE PEOPLE and revealing Vivi's identity, along with her allies within Baroque Works get getting hurt. I could see that getting a lot of work depending on how they end up going with Baroque Works, the episode order, and the general flow of the season.

Oh wait, did Little Garden also have "Mr Prince?"

I remembered that being the intro of Mr. Prince, but looking at it on the wiki, he didn't call himself that until in Alabasta. He just called on the den den mushi and Crocodile thought he was Mr 3, which Sanji didn't dispute.

My money would be on them doing one episode for Loguetown, one episode for Grand Line entry and Laboon along with development of a marines side plot (or maybe early intro of Ace? Or early reveal of Vivi's identity?), relegating Whiskey Peak to a background scene like Don Krieg, the story events that happen there being moved to Little Garden, and Little Garden just being that, giants intro/fight, and cake scene, dividing up characters accordingly. Zoro's bit on the cake is too good drop. I would wager they keep Mr. 3 (and maaaaybe Ms Goldenweek, though her gimmick works better in animation), might just remove Mr. 5 and Miss Valentine altogether, and smush the reveal of Vivi's identity onto that island or Laboon, including the intro of Robin. Drum Island is a 2-parter. Alabasta is the rest with ending the season on the iconic leaving Alabasta scene. The stinger at the end at least involves showing a South Bird, maybe perched on a bust or storybook of Montblanc Noland.

They really could do a whole season of just Alabasta based on the material they have, so regardless of if it's 8, 10, or 12 episodes for the season, I'm still gonna go with that episode set up pre-Alabasta and just all remaining episodes on Alabasta.

marchantia
Nov 5, 2009

WHAT IS THIS

Captain Invictus posted:

everyone except for Dr kureha

And Shakky. It's still a fair critique though.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

marchantia posted:

And Shakky. It's still a fair critique though.

It's true. Women in One Piece are either super hot, gonks (one character goes from one to the other) or hags. I was even vaguely irritated by the post-timeskip designs for Nami and another crew member.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
to be somewhat fair, oda knows this is an issue he has. now if he's trying to be better about it idk, but he knows he's doing it.