Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my kids caught three colds this winter. three!! it’s fuckin bullshit. each time they end up giving it to my mum, and each time for her it turns into a chest infection

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i think covid made me get colds easier. i didn't get a single one from like 2015-19 and then suddenly after covid i had one at least every year. most of them multiple times per year

and that was with people taking more precautions too :smithicide:

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

i've had the opposite experience. other than the one time i had actual covid, i haven't had so much as a sniffle since the initial shutdown. this is almost certainly just because I wash my hands ~10,000x more often

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I'm always sick so getting covid didn't seem to change much.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

echinopsis posted:

my kids caught three colds this winter. three!! it’s fuckin bullshit. each time they end up giving it to my mum, and each time for her it turns into a chest infection

has your mom tried turning back the clock of time

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
she isnt dr strange

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
i havent had covid yet afaik. might try to get some this weekend

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

got COVID, first time since idk 2021? Could be from my wife, my child, my colleague next to me that had it the previous week, the train, the other train, the pub or from yospos

if you have been exposed to my posts you may want to get yourself checked

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

I am novid still as far as I know. I don't really get sick and haven't for years, though I did get flu in late 2019 :ninja:

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I am novid still as far as I know. I don't really get sick and haven't for years, though I did get flu in late 2019 :ninja:

I got flu at Christmas and it utterly sucked. I also had two mega colds this year as well.

so far COVID is probably the least bad lol

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
there’s a new booster coming out soon. gonna vaxxmaxx

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
the flu sucks so fuckin' bad. the last time i got it was like 1993 and i've religiously gotten then flu shot every year since then and been lucky enough to not get it again.

still covid free too despite traveling places that prolly should have infected me. thanks universe dice roller person

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

You can't spell 'vector field' without me, Professor!

knox_harrington posted:

I am novid still as far as I know.
same, though I got what I think was RSV at Christmas last year, which basically amounted to "dry cough that took a month to clear up"

definitely starting to wonder if I need to adjust going to the gym and bar (the two things I do that aren't easily done in-mask) until this wave passes :sigh:

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

knox_harrington posted:

I am novid still as far as I know.

:same:

i did have a cold towards the end of 2021, but it was fairly typical

looks like new shots have been approved though, in material news

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/11/health/covid-vaccine-boosters-fda-pfizer-moderna.html

quote:

F.D.A. Approves New Covid Shots

A nationwide rollout of the vaccines by Pfizer and Moderna should begin later this week, after the C.D.C. considers guidelines to prepare Americans for this season when infections usually tick upward.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

eagerly awaiting these to be approved by health canada as well to get mine.

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

archive dot today link: https://archive.li/https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/11/health/covid-vaccine-boosters-fda-pfizer-moderna.html

most recent copy as of right now: https://archive.li/zPoaM

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
i just got back from a whole company meeting in eastern europe. 70ish peeps from four offices all over the world.

the positive test results started to come in yesterday.

we did events like this in 2021 and twice in 2022 (but less for xmas than for the summer event) and nothing like this happened.
in 2021 the ceo actually said to me as we were leaving the airport "i just hope i didn't organize a superspreader event" .

part of it is just everyone being more careless, but i feel like this is a much more virulent summer variant than we've had before.

im still testing neg, even though i was in close contact (sharing a car, spending a whole afternoon at the same table) with some of the people who popped positive.

im going to test again tonight. i want to keep my super avoider status

i may still call in sick or wfh next week if im still neg. if so many people there have tested pos, there's also going to be people who think its no big deal and still go to the office

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

there's a new variant (in Europe at least) and it's been perfectly timed with summer holidays so you've got loads of people flying to other countries, catching/spreading corona, then flying back home and bringing it with them, then going back into the office and giving it to everyone on transport etc.

I feel ok now but have no sense of smell which is super weird

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
the ace2 binding affinity of spike proteins in recent strains continues to rise. it’s well over ten times more efficient than the original strain

this doesn’t necessarily translate to an equivalent increase in infectivity, but

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

there's a new variant (in Europe at least) and it's been perfectly timed with summer holidays so you've got loads of people flying to other countries, catching/spreading corona, then flying back home and bringing it with them, then going back into the office and giving it to everyone on transport etc.

I feel ok now but have no sense of smell which is super weird

https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/yankee-candle-index

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

mediaphage posted:

the ace2 binding affinity of spike proteins in recent strains continues to rise. it’s well over ten times more efficient than the original strain

this doesn’t necessarily translate to an equivalent increase in infectivity, but

good news for lovers of efficiency

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

My favorite part of what’s going on right now with this is everyone engaging in activities where they know they’re going to get Covid without trying to protect themselves in any way. That owns so much. VP at my new job came into town to meet the six people here and everyone got Covid. I skipped that poo poo, she can meet me on zoom.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
went in to the office this week. had to use the john and there was some guy a stall over just huffing and puffing and straining like a dragonball character trying his damned hardest to pinch one off. loving nasty rear end people in the workplace i hate it!

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm drinking whisky right now and I can just about smell it if my face is right up in it

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
snort some petrol n see if you notice that

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

echinopsis posted:

snort some petrol n see if you notice that

the antipodean has checked in

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

I'm joking echi I don't even know if that's a thing in NZ I just read about it being a problem in Australia once

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
if you're in america you can now schedule your booster at cvs, walgreens etc. just scheduled mine, not looking forward to the destruction

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

yep scheduled mine for tomorrow

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
in glorious ontario canada you can’t until october and they’re restricting it by age lol

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

lol the monday morning update call had significantly reduced attendance. like five absent with covi and two more who still called in. probably fine!

Dijkstracula
Mar 18, 2003

Cat Face Joe posted:

lol the monday morning update call had significantly reduced attendance. like five absent with covi and two more who still called in. probably fine!

"why are all these reports of mine not coming into the office for the monday morning update, nobody wants to work anymore :toughguy:"

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
die of covid to prove a point imo

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

graph posted:

if you're in america you can now schedule your booster at cvs, walgreens etc. just scheduled mine, not looking forward to the destruction

snagged the last appointment for today in a 20 mile radius. in the waiting area now.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG
so out of the 70ish folks at our event, at least 25 have tested covid positive now.
im negative.
im sure there are more positive than that, people who just dont test or dont bring it up in the group chat, not even to say 'im positive but feel great'.

so i was already planning to not be in the office this week. not catching covid when i was locked into a hotel with 70 other people was extremely lucky. i dont want to tempt fate and catch it at my own desk just because someone else doesn't think covid is bad enough to stay home for

and even if that wasn't a good enough reason to not go to office, i did come away from the event with what turned out to be a pretty bad rash. likely a severe allergic reaction to something in the hotel, since one of my colleagues has the exact same rash (i just developed mine a day before she did). so im too itchy to sleep and im in no state to work with this little sleep

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Midjack posted:

snagged the last appointment for today in a 20 mile radius. in the waiting area now.

👍

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

EricBauman posted:

i did come away from the event with what turned out to be a pretty bad rash. likely a severe allergic reaction to something in the hotel, since one of my colleagues has the exact same rash (i just developed mine a day before she did)

yeah i got a weird, large rash last time i was in a hotel. it was superficial though. hotel mgr said it was likely the detergent used on the sheets

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
got an appointment for friday, I'll just not catch covid before then

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN
i have to go for a MRI tomorrow and i hope i don't find myself in a hotspot

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

all juiced up, i went for the trifecta of covid, flu, and pneumonia. my arms will probably feel like they're going to fall off tomorrow morning.